http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 03:02:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review Discussion: Tales of Symphonia  (Read 1692 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: July 31, 2004, 03:27:27 AM »

Well, I finally got the time needed to sit down and enjoy the heck out of Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube. And, as indicated above, I've writted a review for this outstanding game, which you can read by clicking this link.

Anybody else playing this game? What are your thoughts on this title and my review?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 04:53:38 AM »

I hate RPGs.
I'm only 4 hours in.
I'll never finish.

It's the best RPG I've ever played!

Maybe I should stop now and always remember it like this. biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 12:08:42 PM »

Nice review!  I haven't had a lot of time to play this, but I'm going to start soon.  I've only played a couple hours and am impressed so far.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Foxmerc
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 02:18:35 PM »

I'm not even going to try, probably for the a few of the same reasons I wished I'd never played Skies of Arcadia. But for this:

Cel shaded: Am I the only one who's so sick of this? What a waste of technology. For me, I like games I can be immersed in and games where I can identify with the characters, especially in an RPG. I can't identify with a Colorform with eyes bigger than my monitor.

Anime: I dislike anime for the same reasons.

Kiddie characters: I HATE playing as kids, especially ones who for some reason go around wielding two katanas.

Combat: Too light-hearted.

Tim and I have gone many a night debating such things, but I still stand by it. I'll take a Riddick or Halo anyday, and the good RPGs like Wizardry 8 or FFX. At least Tidus had the ability to stop being annoying once in a while.
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 02:19:51 PM »

It's a good review, for a good game.  My girlfriend and I are playing it in multiplayer, which brings up one HUGE frustration...  

In combat, regardless of whether the 'Camera Auto-Zoom' feature is on, the camera frequently zooms in on her (she is playing the main character) and leaves me off-screen with some hairy monster whooping my ass... and I can't see anything!!  The ONLY way to play this in multiplayer is to have both (or all) human players target the same enemy at the same time.  Otherwise, it is just too frustrating.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 02:34:17 PM »

Quote from: "Foxmerc"
I'll take a Riddick or Halo anyday, and the good RPGs like Wizardry 8 or FFX. At least Tidus had the ability to stop being annoying once in a while.

Tidus was always annoying in my mind. smile

FFX, bah. Square lost their imagination and simple 'awe' of playing a FF game at number 6, personally. They regained some things in my eyes with FF9, but other than that, I haven't been impressed at all with a Final Fantasy title in ages.

But, as the saying goes - to each their own.

Balshazaar - I never touched Multiplayer (short of figuring out a few things in the other ToS post), so obviously I never noticed this. Too bad to hear actually. The camera works so well in single player - always dynamic, focusing on what's important. What you can't see is made up by your teammates telling you what you're missing.

Too bad it falls apart like that in multi.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 04:50:15 PM »

FFX, bah. Square lost their imagination and simple 'awe' of playing a FF game at number 6, personally. They regained some things in my eyes with FF9, but other than that, I haven't been impressed at all with a Final Fantasy title in ages.

Amen, brutha.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004, 06:45:55 PM »

Foxmerc, if you would play the game you'd know that Lloyd isn't a "kid" he's 18 iirc, same age as your beloved Tidus, and not half as annoying.

I find it funny that you enjoyed FFX but would write off TOS. Tales is the superior game in every aspect.

Only thing I didn't like about the review was the knock on the overworld. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a RPG with a better overworld, that's available now. Most of them don't use them, but I just don't see where the ps1 comment is is applicable.

Also could add that the replayability stems from more than just difficulty changes. You earn something called grade throughout the game and can use this at the end of the game to buy upgrades or changes or a variety of other things that have an affect on the next playthrough. You can't easily complete certain objectives the first time through the game and buying stuff at the grade shop makes it possible for people who really want to complete the game. I think it's a good incentive to atleast play through it twice.

Oh yeah forgot one thing, I didn't see it mentioned, but I don't know if Tim knows that you can do a lot of stuff out of order in the game. The gameworld is designed so that you can get around certain things, like taking the boat ride. This effects all sorts of interactions and what have you. You can also tackle temples in different orders, can get summons at different times giving them different difficulties. I could go on, but it should be noted that the game can play very different each play through.

There's even a character that leaves that you can get back if you've done certain relationship building skits. The game's much deeper then I've seen any review give it credit for, and I understand that's a common trait in all Tales games.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2004, 10:52:00 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Oh yeah forgot one thing, I didn't see it mentioned, but I don't know if Tim knows that you can do a lot of stuff out of order in the game. The gameworld is designed so that you can get around certain things, like taking the boat ride. This effects all sorts of interactions and what have you. You can also tackle temples in different orders, can get summons at different times giving them different difficulties. I could go on, but it should be noted that the game can play very different each play through.

Oh, I know about doing things out of 'order'. I stumbled upon that boat ride ages before I actually had to go there, and noticed that the things that my crew said were a bit 'different' than what I expected them to say because of it.

Unfortunately, when writing a review, there's a limit as to how much you can put in before it becomes a book to read. I'm the most guilty of them all in this aspect, as my reviews (in my opinion anyway) tend to be some of the longest out of the rest of the staff.

As far as the overworld goes - there's times where it looks decent (once you get the 'travel' ability for example), and there's times where it looks like crap (when you blow up some of the dungeons you visit). Combine that with the giant black blobs you encounter, and it looks really poor compared to how good the rest of the game looks. That's pretty much the point I was trying to make there.

Thanks for the comments though. Everything I look at after I do a review helps when I write the next one down the line.

Foxmerc
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2004, 03:27:19 AM »

Foxmerc, if you would play the game you'd know that Lloyd isn't a "kid" he's 18 iirc, same age as your beloved Tidus, and not half as annoying.

18 is still a kid to me, and I'm only 20. Hell, when I was 18, 18 was a kid to me. I knew I couldn't go around slashing things up.

Graphics mean a lot to me. No, not everything, so just backspace over "you shallow excuse for a gamer" and listen. I take gameplay anyday, but gameplay is useless if the gameplay involves controlling someone I don't care about in a world I don't care about through a story I don't care about. Anime and cel-shaded things just aren't my style. I can't take them seriously, especially the "combat," and I can't feel anything for it. And I don't care what anyone says about FFX. No, it wasn't the best RPG, yes Tidus was annoying, but I still liked it for what it gave.

Besides, I like ragging on Time. =)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: