http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 06:57:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review Discussion: River City Ransom EX  (Read 1481 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: June 16, 2004, 06:00:59 PM »

As clearly stated above, I've just posted my review for River City Ransom EX on the GBA.

Are you ticked off over the lack of true multiplayer? Did you expect to see a game more like the original? Have any questions? Discuss here.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 05:24:10 AM »

I was really looking forward to this title, even picking up the GBA remake of Super Dodgeball to prepare me.

The lack of multiplayer doesn't bother me, as I don't have any friends with Game Boys.  If I did I would probably be pissed.  I can empathize, but it doesn't effect me at all.

I have read about the save system and am glad you clarified it is just like that in the original (except no password).  While I think they should have changed that, at least it isn't the big downgrade I feared.  The original outrage seemed justified, but I didn't recall how the original did it -- thanks for pointing that out.

My real question is why I should replay it.  I understand the posse and few new fights.  What I was wondering is if, by replaying over and over, one could ultimately have all the power/upgrades/abilities.  I think it might be interesting to go through multiple times just to collect everything.  Is that possible?

I am a little put off by the length, but how many games do I own that I can drop in and hope to beat in an hour or so?  Whether that is worth the price of admission, I don't really think so at the moment.  I will look out for it used or offered up in trade.

A good, balanced review, thanks!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 07:38:00 PM »

Nice Job Destructor!  You were a lot nicer than I would've been.

To be honest I was going to do a review also...  But once I found out you couldn't play multiplayer I was furious and decided to boycott the game.

In my opinion, there is no other way to play RCR.  I remember playing that game through so many times with my buddy back when we were kids and now we're both 27, still into video games and RCR is re-released.  We were so excited about the new game it was like going to the candy store with a million bucks at age 7.  Then we found out.  BOYCOTT.  

Someone remake this one for the PS2 or CUBE and make it multiplayer, keep the same tunes (with better instruments) and add a few levels and items.  Don't screw with the moves too much.  Add support for four players maybe?

*sigh* What a disappointment...  And I usually LOVE ATLUS.

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 08:40:27 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
My real question is why I should replay it.  I understand the posse and few new fights.  What I was wondering is if, by replaying over and over, one could ultimately have all the power/upgrades/abilities.  I think it might be interesting to go through multiple times just to collect everything.  Is that possible?

Well, while you can replay the game to death (by either restarting or by simply sitting around and collecting cash), you simply don't have enough 'powers' slots to get every single power/upgrade/ability.

I don't have the game in front of me right now, but I believe you're limited to 12 powers at once. There's close to 30 powers/items that take up those slots, if not more so.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 07:19:17 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Did you expect to see a game more like the original?
A game LESS like the original was what I expected.  This thing is damn near identical!  The settings are EXACTLY the same.  The characters are just about identical.  The "script" is virtually the same.  The annoyances are identical - not knowing what any of the crap in the shop does, not being able to save your progress, etc.  

What did they change?  They took out multiplayer.  They inflated all the prices.  They gave you more moves and made the controls less responsive.  

You think in the 15 years since the original they might have improved things.  Nope, they tried to make the same damn thing over again, and made it worse.  79% is far too kind.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2004, 11:31:21 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"
Quote from: "Destructor"
Did you expect to see a game more like the original?
What did they change?  They took out multiplayer.  They inflated all the prices.  They gave you more moves and made the controls less responsive.  

You think in the 15 years since the original they might have improved things.  Nope, they tried to make the same damn thing over again, and made it worse.  79% is far too kind.

In all honesty, I didn't expect much in the way of change between the NES and GBA version. I didn't really want it either, as RCR was an outstanding multiplayer capable game on the NES.

However, there are differences - the script has been updated (slightly), more reflecting the times, the graphics have been improved, and there's more sound channels being used at once than the NES counterpart. There's also no multiplayer.

Comparing the title verses other GBA games (and ignoring that the NES game ever existed), this game is strictly an average title. In my mind, the 79% overall score reflects that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: