http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 09:44:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Revenge of the Sith - Anyone else getting it?  (Read 7109 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2005, 11:18:49 PM »

I know I am!

I just read a good write up of the game over here:

http://theforce.net/episode3/story/TFN_Episode_III_Video_Game_Preview_91531.asp

I also liked the preview I read of the game over at Gamespot.

This really sounds like a fun game. I loved the Two Towers and Return of the King games, and this sounds like a similar game to those. Plus it's made by the same people that did the Buffy game and I really liked that one.

It also has 12 minutes of new footage from the movie incorporated into the game.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 11:41:34 PM »

I think it looks pretty cool. I'm gonna reserve judgement till I see it next month at E3 though.  Little try-before-I-buy.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 12:27:31 AM »

In!  but after I see the movie.  Right now I have that door from Episode 3 taunting me everytime I play Lego Star Wars.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 03:17:05 AM »

Me too - I may get it, but not until after the movie... I actually saw the novelization in Best Buy this week - tempting, but I managed to walk out without it.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 04:05:23 AM »

Quote from: "Laner"
Me too - I may get it, but not until after the movie... I actually saw the novelization in Best Buy this week - tempting, but I managed to walk out without it.

i went ahead and picked up the novel when i saw it on sale somewhere, but i'm not planning to read it until after i've seen the movie...i've done the same thing with the previous two films.  even after knowing the story, the novelizations have still been pretty interesting because they do add a little more background.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 05:18:16 AM »

I'm dying to play this, absolutely dying, but after the movie like everyone else. I'm an unabashed fanboy for The Collective and despite their love of insane jumping puzzles at the worst possible moments in a game, their fighting engine combined with their attention to detail and atmosphere made Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Indy Jones and the Emperor's Tomb flat-out awesome games in my book. Now, combine that fighting engine with Jedi powers and lightsabers and you have a recipe for potentially monumental in-game ass-beatings. The weekend of the movie, I might have to pick this thing up. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 06:00:23 AM »

I'm definitely interested if it gets good reviews but, like most others, I'll be waiting until after the film.  Supposedly even the damn trailers for this one are spoiler fests.
Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 03:10:41 PM »

Same here. I'll buy it but after I see the movie.  I've been pretty good about avoiding all spoilers for all 3 movies but when it comes close to release it does get difficult.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 11:43:02 AM »

OXM says it's just like the LOTR games by EA. If that turns out to be true, it's a must ahve for me as those were best movie tie games I've ever played.

But...I'll be getting it after the movie comes out smile.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 07:14:11 PM »

Anyone?

Anything?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 07:50:56 PM »

I picked it up today at lunch.  Hope to get some game time in tonight.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 07:51:52 PM »

Cool let us know!!  biggrin

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2005, 09:08:51 PM »

I got it today as well. I'll be firing it up in about an hour or so.

shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2005, 09:54:04 PM »

Since this wasn't supported in Republic Commando, I'm interested if 480p widescreen is in this game.  RC supported 480p in 4:3 but only 480i in widescreen.  720p would be even more fantastic but I seriously doubt that.  Anyone who got it know the answer to this?

- shaggy

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2005, 10:04:55 PM »

The back of the Xbox box says HDTV 480p.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2005, 10:43:52 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
OXM says it's just like the LOTR games by EA. If that turns out to be true, it's a must ahve for me as those were best movie tie games I've ever played.

But...I'll be getting it after the movie comes out smile.

It is EXACTLY like the LOTR games, which I loved as well.

I just played through the first two levels and I really like it. I love the way the include the real movie footage with the game, just like the LOTR games. The movie footage looks great! smile

The only negative that I can see with the game is that it might be rather short, but if you like games like Return of the King, Two Towers, Golden Axe or heck even Final Fight you will love this game.

It's lots of fun and I've already unlocked 5 Concept Art images and a bonus challenge level. Thats another thing, there are tons of unlockables in this game.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2005, 11:06:39 PM »

Hetz, how is the game in terms of spoilers?  Two Towers were pretty spoilerific, while the following ROTK was not very much at all.  Would it be better to wait until after Ep3 to pick up the game?

Being the Star Wars mark that I am, I have a feeling I'll have this game by the end of the day anyways frown

Edit:
The review folks at IGN-PS2 don't appear to like it at all....
linkage

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2005, 11:33:56 PM »

Dimmona- best stear clear.  Saw this posted at Gaming-Age:

WARNING: If you're planning on seeing the movie, the game includes something like 20 minutes of footage from the movie including the very last shot from the film.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2005, 12:15:16 AM »

Just played the first two missions, and yes it is identicle to the LOTR 2 Towers and ROTK games.  Even the leveling up at the end of the mission is the same.  And yes, it will layout the movie for you, so, don't play if you don't want to take away the surprise.  

Matters not to, so, play I will.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2005, 01:24:53 AM »

I also just finished the first two missions...so far it's been fun.

The camera is a little wonky, I was hoping that it would follow behind the character, but it follows a set path depending on where you are.  While you can lock onto enemies, it's a clunky interface and lots of times, there are enemies off screen attacking you.

Light saber combat is cool, not like other games that I have played.   There are a lot of moves at your disposal and the combay is more forgiving than PoP:WW.  For example, you can mash buttons, as long as you hit the right one at the right time, it will transition into that move.  You don't have to hit them so precise.

There are movie clips and spoilers, so don't play if you want to avoid that sort of thing.  

As with all console games, I stink at first, so hopefully I will get the combat down soon.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2005, 01:49:21 AM »

IN!!

I'm not to concerned about spoilers seeing that the last 2 movies were crap!  :wink:  :cry:

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2005, 03:50:31 AM »

Played a little more and I am enjoying it more.  The first two levels are really not as fun as the ones that are following.  You can tell they are just to get you used to the game.  I stink at combat, but I can rattle off enough moves to take people down.  There are a TON of moves at your desposal and it really showcases how a Jedi can fight.  You are spinning and twirling and cutting crap to pieces.  Another neat thing is a lot of the environment can be cut up too.  Barriers break, pipes on the wall, that sort of thing.  It's a neat addition.  I'm about 2.5 hours in now and cleared about 5 levels.  I think there's 16 total, so I am not worried about time.  I can also see how I would want to go back and find the rest of the stuff that I missed.  Also after I see the movie, I know I will want to go back and fight through the levels again.  From what I can tell though, even if you go back to redo a level, whatever new stuff you found does not count towards your experience to buy skills with.  Unlockables will probably count though.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2005, 11:15:14 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Hetz, how is the game in terms of spoilers?  Two Towers were pretty spoilerific, while the following ROTK was not very much at all.  Would it be better to wait until after Ep3 to pick up the game?

Being the Star Wars mark that I am, I have a feeling I'll have this game by the end of the day anyways frown

Edit:
The review folks at IGN-PS2 don't appear to like it at all....
linkage

It basicly gives the whole Anakin-Obi Wan storyline away, but it doesn't touch on the fate of Padme or Yoda or things like that.

If you are holding out with no spoilers at all, then skip this game until after the movie.

shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2005, 02:55:09 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"
The back of the Xbox box says HDTV 480p.

Yes.....but will it do it in 16:9 mode?  That was the exact problem with RC.

- shaggy

P.S.  Anyone have a clue why lucasarts doesn't have a forum for this game but they do for all their other games including Battlefront 2 which won't be released until fall?

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2005, 04:28:06 PM »

Gamesdomain likes it!

http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/ps2/star_wars_episode_iii_revenge_of_the_sith/review/114402

8/10

Pros: Intense, intuitive lightsaber action; Great audio, courtesy of Skywalker Sound; You START the game as a badass; Ep III film footage and extra goodies

Cons: Essentially linear; Occasionally restrictive camera

Never before has the Jedi experience been this visceral and accessible at the same time, and Revenge of the Sith has something for hardcore fans and curious onlookers alike. The Force is strong with this one.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2005, 04:51:05 PM »

Cheers to that, you certainly do start as a bad ass!  I can't wait to play some more!!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2005, 05:53:22 PM »

Same here!

I am also really digging the Versus mode. It's pretty fun and a nice bonus.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2005, 06:18:28 PM »

Can you just duel against the computer Hetz?  Or does it have to be another player?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2005, 06:50:52 PM »

You can duel against the CPU. I played as Count Dooku vs Anakin controlled by the CPU last night. It was quite fun. The arenas are nice as well with breakable objects all over the place.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2005, 06:55:22 PM »

Sweet, it will let me practice my saber skills, which are lacking to say the least!!!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2005, 02:57:57 AM »

4.5 from IGN - Are they playing a different game?

Anyone care to hammer their review?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2005, 06:30:14 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"

All I need to know is that the IGN review is from Ivan Sulic.  He's got no business reviewing games and he's probably IGN's worst reviewer (which says a lot).

Most people seem to think the game is probably closer to 7-8 range with appropriate Star Wars bias adjustment.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2005, 01:16:59 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "Devil"

All I need to know is that the IGN review is from Ivan Sulic.  He's got no business reviewing games and he's probably IGN's worst reviewer (which says a lot).

Most people seem to think the game is probably closer to 7-8 range with appropriate Star Wars bias adjustment.

Not even having played the game I can tell that fool has a serious axe to grind. Yet another worthless IGN review... slywink

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2005, 01:39:09 PM »

That 4.5 is an absolute joke...but this comes from the same site that gave RAW and DOA: Volleyball 9+ scores....

IGN's reviews are pretty much a joke now anyway.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2005, 01:58:19 PM »

More proof that IGN is full of shit.

Team Xbox gave it a 7.9

http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/943/Star-Wars-Episode-III-Revenge-of-the-Sith/p1/

Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2005, 02:39:52 PM »

Is anyone playing this on the PS2?  I'm curious how it looks.  

When is the movie out? The 18th or something like that?  I may not be able to wait that long, spoilers be damned.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2005, 02:49:07 PM »

Thanks guys - I'm probably "IN!" but I just wanted to hear you guys tear apart the IGN review.

I trust you/CG WAY more than anywhere else!  :wink:

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2005, 03:23:03 PM »

From what I played of a friend's copy I'm not very enthused by it, but not 4.5 unenthused about it.  It probably sticks squarely in the 70s though.  I think it sits below EA's Lord of the Rings action games if we're going to compare the two.  I'd say rent this game and not spend the $50 on it for the little I played.

And the movie comes out on the 19th

Xbox Live: AgtFox
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2005, 03:59:23 PM »

I saw the LOTR games as mid-80's entertainment at best. They were fun hack-and-slashers with pretty graphics, but this has lightsabers and fancy Jedi dance moves. How can that not rock the house? biggrin With all the spoilers on the net now, I'm absolutely dying to see the flick before any more gets ruined for me. The game is high on my list post-film though. smile

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2005, 08:43:30 PM »

Any more impressions from those of you who have gotten farther in the game?  I did enjoy both of the LOTR beatemups, so if this is the same thing in a Star Wars universe than it's probably something I would enjoy.

Also, what multiplayer options are there?  Coop?  Live coop?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: