http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 11:36:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Returned to World in Conflict  (Read 875 times)
Tals
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2009, 07:53:40 AM »

World in Conflict is possibly my favourite game i've ever owned. I managed to get into a good clan during play and experienced its pretty amazing Clan play where the two clans have a server allocated to them by the game to play a match. Also had a huge amount of time online playing MP with random pickup and join. Unlike most RTS games you don't have to set up a server, get the players together, choose sides etc. With WIC the servers are running much like FPS servers and you just pick one and into the action you go.

With the latest Expansion Soviet Assault and its release on steam the game is getting more attention. If you only play MP then their is absolutely no reason to buy the expansion just connect into your online account through the game and it will patch you including all the additional Soviet Assault aspects - which arn't much but taking off the CD protection of SP and adding 2 maps helps smile It also means if you spot the vanilla version in bargain basement then grab that instead smile

Love to have others in GT join in the game is totally team based - without a reasonable team its hard todo well. It works on a very clear rock paper scissors philosophy

Armour>Support (AA)
Support> Helis
Helis>Armour

When you join the game you pick one of the above and then hopefully work as a team to take the objectives. Number of game types but my favourite is domination where you capture and hold positions. The longer a position is hold the more the bar moves in your directtion. When it gets to the end or time runs out its game over. Which adds another great point about the game - they're all less than 30 minutes a hit.

Had a great game last night, team were all over the place. Had a guy ranting on the air waves but in a fairly humours way. Then it all clicked and in a ame where both teams scored + 8000 points, we one by 20 - I wish i'd had a screenie frown

If anyone does pick up the game or has it and fancies hooking up i'm in as tals

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 10:15:20 PM »

While playing Starcraft 2, I realized how much I missed playing great RTS games so I bought the Gold edition of World in Conflict (lost my physical copy somewhere)  If anyone wants to play sometime (Co-op/Mulitplayer) let me know  thumbsup

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 02:35:53 AM »

I bought this of of Gamersgate awhile back but didn't get far, but what I played was pretty fun.  I really need to redownload it and start over.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 04:24:06 AM »

I played wic for a while and loved it's easier mechanics and more direct control than other rts games - also the ability to join existing games was very neat, saved all the waiting around. The problem was always finding others to play. I'd definitely recommend pvp over coop as the engine was really designed with that in mind. That said I already play one mp game and can't handle more than one at a time:(

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »

I had yet more inexplicable motion sickness issues with the demo years ago and had to pass.

Massive's founder quit last year after the acquisition by Ubisoft. Massive's still around though they haven't announced their "undisclosed" current project:
http://www.massive.se/games/our-games/

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 02:04:10 PM »

I played this (with expansion) last year, and loved it.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 03:04:32 PM »

I put this on my wish list (the Soviet Assault expansion, the "complete" version that includes the original game too), and my sister-in-law ordered it for me, it just arrived yesterday. She'd gotten it from some Canadian company I never heard of (InterVIDEO or something) and it was marked as a "CD," so it was quite the mystery until I opened it.  icon_smile

I mentioned earlier here I had some odd motion sickness issues with the WiC demo years ago, so I've never gotten around to getting it. I figured it was better to ask for it as a gift and if it still makes me ill to play, nothing lost.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 03:17:30 PM »

I just grabbed this myself recently.....the nukes being the draw for me.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 06:13:19 PM »

Still remains one of my favourite games, if I had managed to get a bigger group together I might still be playing it

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 06:15:15 PM »

I only have the first campaign but I might be up for some WiC with you if I ever get time, Tals.  Playing against the AI got boring very quickly, it was absolutely useless.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 06:19:31 PM »

I'm 99 percent sure I still have it installed. I'll check when I'n home. Its quite different mp wise as you only play one class at a time and limited ordance

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 06:39:18 PM »

It's too fast-paced for my liking to be honest but being limited to one role might be just the ticket.  Plus it'd be a good way to test out my new headset. icon_biggrin

Gimme a shout sometime Tals.  I'll get it reinstalled later.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 06:58:05 PM »

Great timing on the bump!  I had this but don't have the discs anymore but it's going on my Steam wishlist and will get bought at the end of the sale.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 02:31:19 AM »

Bah, I left the discs for this game back in the US. Now I'm hoping it'll go on the Steam sale so I can rebuy, though right now it's $15 for both WiC and Soviet expansion.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 05:51:09 AM »

If you want the mp element then I think you can download it from the site and just login with your logon name if you registered - could be wrong on that but you certainly don't need the discs for mp once installed. The mp element I remember as being one of the most solo friendly games, ie it has inbuilt voip, easy ping commands on the map and a great friends system which allows chat even to offline friends

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: