http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 02:51:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Retail demand for PS3 dropping below supply level?  (Read 5213 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2006, 10:38:11 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 16, 2006, 10:33:09 PM

Quote from: gellar on December 16, 2006, 04:44:53 PM

Two things: 

1) I agree with the Wii being uninteresting.  I've played one.  I'm totally unimpressed by the controls, and even less impressed with the game selection.  And if Zelda can't get ME to buy something, they've done something wrong slywink.  I understand it's appeal to some, but don't understand why people think everyone will love it.  I actually HATE the controls.

2) I've not yet even seen a PS3 OR a Wii on a store shelf here in the SF Bay Area.  Supply ain't come close to demand here.

gellar
+1 to both thoughts. It's exactly how I feel.
You've played a Wii for what, 2 minutes?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2006, 10:42:57 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 16, 2006, 07:51:53 PM

Quote from: The Grue on December 16, 2006, 07:38:44 PM

Quote from: Lee on December 16, 2006, 07:34:44 PM

And lastly, anything Hetz does/says/buys need to be scrutinized for no reason.

I'd argue there is indeed reason for this and that reason is FUN!!!!

I'd argue the reason is more JEALOUSY....but what do I know. Everything I say is somehow wrong and/or foolish according to most of you. 

I'll go back to playing Motorstorm now, having a great time!  Tongue

finger

Ha.  For me, it really is all about the fun.  I could have a PS3 if I wanted one, but with only 1 game out for it, I passed.  I will definitely get one next year some time when some solid games come out.  Everyone else might be jealous, though.  You know how much I love Oblivion and I even think you went too far pimping it back then.  You're a pimp, what can we say?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2006, 11:49:48 PM »

Two things: 

1) I agree with the Wii being uninteresting.  I've played one.  I'm totally unimpressed by the controls, and even less impressed with the game selection.  And if Zelda can't get ME to buy something, they've done something wrong slywink.  I understand it's appeal to some, but don't understand why people think everyone will love it.  I actually HATE the controls.

2) I've not yet even seen a PS3 OR a Wii on a store shelf here in the SF Bay Area.  Supply ain't come close to demand here.

gellar

ZOMGZ WHEN DID YOU MOVE TO TEH BAY AREA?

gellar
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2006, 11:59:41 PM »

Quote from: depward on December 16, 2006, 10:38:11 PM

Two things: 

gellar

I am unconvinced about this "Only people that haven't played it, don't like it" movement with Wii owners.  So today I played my neighbors, extensively, and well, I didn't like it..

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2006, 01:33:40 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on December 16, 2006, 11:59:41 PM

Quote from: depward on December 16, 2006, 10:38:11 PM

Two things: 

gellar

I am unconvinced about this "Only people that haven't played it, don't like it" movement with Wii owners.  So today I played my neighbors, extensively, and well, I didn't like it..

Your preconceived notions had nothing to do with that verdict, did they?   icon_twisted Tongue

StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2006, 02:53:42 AM »

I think the Wii will do well in colsole sales early because of the low pricepoint and it's hitting a bit of the Mass market.  The problem is the casual gamer is not a hefty purchaser of games.  They will buy 1-4 a year and that's it.  MS and Sony will hold the hardore market and get it's share of the casual market, but will have a TON more software sales as hardcore camers buy a LOT more games.  And to an extent the graphical differnce will come into play.  I know a lot of people will want to use the DS as an argument to say it won't, but I submit that the in home console market is a lot different then the handheld market.  As long as it's fun, people don't tend to care as much about graphics on a handheld.  On a console I thin you are gonna see a lot more people get tired of the last gen graphics.

The Wii seems to be a nice nitch product, but I don't see the staying power with the games.  In the end the games are all that matter.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2006, 03:41:44 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on December 16, 2006, 03:21:26 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 16, 2006, 06:51:32 AM

question:there was a lot of people saying ,before the ps3 came out that the games were gonna cost more....now that its out over there..how much are the games for it?,are they more expensive or was it just a load of bollocks?

Didn't see that this was answered. PS3 games are being priced the same as 360 games.

thanks,good to know they havent upped the price ,just cos of BLU-RAY

i have a Wii,and i think its a cool little machine,zelda is fab,i have just broke 40 hrs on that game...but i agree on the games situation...being there isnt any worth having...i have zelda,wii sports,wii play and red steel...but thats it for now,the only other games i see in the coming months that i want is mario galaxy and metriod 3....hope that all changes with some 3rd party games,as you cant always depend on inhouse games

this last year i have bought about 25 360 games,and there are still a few more on the shelves at the moment that i want,and of course,plenty i want in the coming 6 months

on the Wii though,thankfully,the internet,weather and news channels will keep me occupied,and i am enjoying the few virtual games i have downloaded....really,i think it depends on 3rd party games and also,what online play will be like if it ever really happens,i know it wont be as good as LIVE and ps3 online though

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2006, 04:09:17 AM »

Quote from: StitchJones on December 17, 2006, 02:53:42 AM

I think the Wii will do well in colsole sales early because of the low pricepoint and it's hitting a bit of the Mass market.  The problem is the casual gamer is not a hefty purchaser of games.  They will buy 1-4 a year and that's it.  MS and Sony will hold the hardore market and get it's share of the casual market, but will have a TON more software sales as hardcore camers buy a LOT more games.  And to an extent the graphical differnce will come into play.  I know a lot of people will want to use the DS as an argument to say it won't, but I submit that the in home console market is a lot different then the handheld market.  As long as it's fun, people don't tend to care as much about graphics on a handheld.  On a console I thin you are gonna see a lot more people get tired of the last gen graphics.

Well said.  I couldn't agree more with that post. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2006, 05:38:26 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 17, 2006, 04:09:17 AM

Interestingly enough, the console that sold the most last generation was the one that had the least graphical power (including the fewest games supporting progressive scan resolutions and/or widescreen). That and the DS/PSP competition would both seem to counter this argument. icon_wink

But this is retreading old territory. I'm still curious for more actual info regarding Wii/PS3 sales and whether there are many systems of either platform sitting in stock and not selling out as rapidly as launch week.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2006, 06:25:34 AM »

Well, that's considering that the PS2 has a massive and diverse library of games.  Sure, the Wii has Nintendo's first party games, but that didn't rocket the gamecube to huge profits so much as helped it be decently successful.

Knowing Nintendo, they'll have a good library of games, but nothing to the PS2 level.

One thing I am interested in is the first person Resident Evil game.  Also, we may see a rise in guncon style games again with the wii.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2006, 06:43:51 AM »

Let's not forget the library of games the PS2 launched with.  We all loved Fantavision and SSX, right?

How about the Halobox?

And I don't understand what you mean when you say "knowing Nintendo, they'll have a good library of games, but nothing to the PS2 level."  Mostly the "knowing Nintendo" part.  The way that you get lots of games on your console is to either a) have a huge installed user base, b) buy all the developers, or c) make it so inexpensive to develop for your console that there's little risk to doing so.  Nintendo's definitely working on succeeding at A.  B didn't work so well for MS, so I'm thinking that tactic won't be used again so much. 

C is the magic one that I think gets lost in these discussions.  Development costs for the 360 and PS3 are going be very high, I don't think there's any doubt about that.  Because of the investment required to make a game on those two systems, not many publishers are going to be willing to greenlight offbeat titles for them.  Don't expect to see Katamari or Psychonauts on either system any time soon.

The Wii, however, has a much lower set of development costs, so rather than spending $10 million on a PS3 game about rolling a ball, you'd only have to spend $500,000 for a Wii version.  In addition, the control scheme gives developers a new way to experiment with game interfaces.  For good developers, the Wii could be the platform they use to try out all the strange ideas they've been wanting to make for a while, but haven't had the chance to.

We've already been seeing this with the DS, which is in (not surprisingly) a similar position.  So far we've had a lawyer game, and a surgery game, neither of which I think would have been produced had it cost more to develop them.  Nintendo's strategy the last two console generations obviously hasn't worked, so they're trying something new, and I think writing them off so early because of their last few showings is doing them a disservice.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2006, 06:53:31 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on December 17, 2006, 05:38:26 AM

Quote from: denoginizer on December 17, 2006, 04:09:17 AM

Interestingly enough, the console that sold the most last generation was the one that had the least graphical power (including the fewest games supporting progressive scan resolutions and/or widescreen). That and the DS/PSP competition would both seem to counter this argument. icon_wink

But this is retreading old territory. I'm still curious for more actual info regarding Wii/PS3 sales and whether there are many systems of either platform sitting in stock and not selling out as rapidly as launch week.

Are you quite sure that the PS2 was weaker than the Gamecube? I mean, are you really sure you want to make that claim? Only one game on the entire cube looked "great", and that was RE4.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2006, 07:02:17 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 17, 2006, 06:53:31 AM

Are you quite sure that the PS2 was weaker than the Gamecube? I mean, are you really sure you want to make that claim? Only one game on the entire cube looked "great", and that was RE4.

I'm no programmer, but I've heard repeatedly that the Cube was between the PS2 and the Xbox in overall power, though there are areas that the PS2 has an advantage in. 

EDIT- And I'd say that Metroid Prime 1&2, Starfox Adventures, Rogue Squadron 2&3, Wind Waker, and several others qualified as great looking. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 07:06:32 AM by Kevin Grey » Logged
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2006, 08:48:47 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 17, 2006, 07:02:17 AM

I'm no programmer, but I've heard repeatedly that the Cube was between the PS2 and the Xbox in overall power, though there are areas that the PS2 has an advantage in. 

EDIT- And I'd say that Metroid Prime 1&2, Starfox Adventures, Rogue Squadron 2&3, Wind Waker, and several others qualified as great looking. 

I've heard this is well and honestly I think Gamecube games look better than PS2 games in general.  PS2 games suffer in a big way from jaggies and because of that they don't look as good to me as Gamecube games.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2006, 01:33:31 PM »

1.  The graphical difference between the 360/PS3 and the Wii is leaps and bounds larger then the difference between the PS2 and Cube.  So using the PS2 as an example of the lower powered console selling more isn't as valid as some would suggest.  We are talking about HD vs SD.  Not a marginal difference like PS2 vs Cube.

2.  Using the DS as a predictor of Wii sales does not make sense in my opinion.  Nintendo is and has always been working from a position of overwhelming sales superiority against Sony in the handeld market.  The situation is reversed in the home console market.

I think the Wii's best days will be early in this generation.  As the 360 and PS3 prices drop and more people get HDTVs the Wii will move to 3rd place.  But I think all 3 consoles will achieve the goals of their particular manufacturers with the possible exception of the PS3.  If Sony can do so much wrong with the PS3 and still succeed with it then they will be very fortunate.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2006, 03:30:50 PM »

I'd argue the reason is more JEALOUSY....but what do I know. Everything I say is somehow wrong and/or foolish according to most of you. 

finger

Jealousy?  icon_lol I doubt it very seriously. The fact that you have made a lot of contradictory statements, after being a HUGE supporter of one side of the console argument, is more than likely the cause for the skepticism some of us have, and one of the major reasons you have been questioned. It's not personal really and certainly not jealousy.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 03:36:06 PM by jblank » Logged

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2006, 03:47:35 PM »

Quote from: jblank on December 17, 2006, 03:30:50 PM

finger

Jealousy?  icon_lol I doubt it very seriously. The fact that you have made a lot of contradictory statements, after being a HUGE supporter of one side of the console argument, is more than likely the cause for the skepticism some of us have, and one of the major reasons you have been questioned. It's not personal really and certainly not jealousy.

Well, honestly, I was joking for the most part. You may or may not be jealous. I really don't care. All I know is me and a bunch of other people here (judging from my friends list) are enjoying the PS3 this Christmas. Yes, I was a HUGE supporter of the 360. I am still a 360 supporter. I just am a PS3 supporter as well. If that means defending the PS3 by pointing out the shortcomings of the 360, than so be it and vice versa. There are ways that the 360 kicks the PS3's ass right now. Just like there are ways the PS3 kicks the 360's ass.

Say, how's the Christmas Ebay rebound going that you were predicting for the PS3?  Tongue

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2006, 03:56:22 PM »

Considering I am still seeing some PS3's go for $800+, I would say the market is still there, but we still have over a week before Christmas, so lets not bury the ebay thing just yet. I sure as hell did quite good with mine, even against your negativity and wishes that we would all lose money. I still haven't forgotten that.

The PS3 has made you a different person Hetz, you are sort of difficult to talk to now and you are a very smarmy, sarcastic, condescending person all of the sudden. It's a shame,  but you have morphed into this person that is hell bent on defending the system and that has changed you.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2006, 04:02:36 PM »

With regards to the topic at hand, I would doubt in most areas that demand is lower than supply, but I think at this point we can all agree that the system isn't gonna go bonkers in sales, and the main reason is the price. We finally may have seen the maximum price hit for what people will pay and it looks like its $399. Sony is just asking too much for the PS3, versus what it delivers. Considering most people don't give a hang about next-gen DVD, or apparently for paying that much money for a console that isn't much better (or any better) than the 360, which is a lot cheaper, Sony has a real problem on their hands.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2006, 04:11:35 PM »

Quote from: jblank on December 17, 2006, 03:56:22 PM

Considering I am still seeing some PS3's go for $800+, I would say the market is still there, but we still have over a week before Christmas, so lets not bury the ebay thing just yet. I sure as hell did quite good with mine, even against your negativity and wishes that we would all lose money. I still haven't forgotten that.

Good. What happened with the PS3 and Ebaying it was horrible and I am glad it fell on it's face. You may have made it out with a profit...but there were plenty that didn't.

As for if the PS3 has changed me. It hasn't, it's just you don't agree with me now, so you view me as smarmy and negative or whatever. When I was like this with the 360, it was all sunshine and roses with you...but now that I am happy with the PS3 it's a bad thing.

That is an issue for you to deal with, not me. I don't hate the 360. Maybe you view it that way and are sad to see the 360 not be the belle of the ball anymore. Sorry.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2006, 04:30:43 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 17, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Quote from: jblank on December 17, 2006, 03:56:22 PM

Good. What happened with the PS3 and Ebaying it was horrible and I am glad it fell on it's face. You may have made it out with a profit...but there were plenty that didn't.

As for if the PS3 has changed me. It hasn't, it's just you don't agree with me now, so you view me as smarmy and negative or whatever. When I was like this with the 360, it was all sunshine and roses with you...but now that I am happy with the PS3 it's a bad thing.

That is an issue for you to deal with, not me. I don't hate the 360. Maybe you view it that way and are sad to see the 360 not be the belle of the ball anymore. Sorry.

You couldn't be more wrong.

You HAVE changed, others see it also, and in fact I think have commented on that to you. You are negative, you are smarmy, you are much more condescending and its not JUST about the PS3, you have done a complete 180 on anything associated with Sony's new technology, Blu-Ray included. If you will remember, and maybe your memory is failing you a bit, but I wasn't a 360 lover last year, and I challenged you on many things related to the console, so maybe you have me confused with someone else. I was a later adopter to the 360 and was mad at Microsoft for abandoning the XBOX when it was still more than viable.

It's not that we are at odds over you loving the PS3, hell, I could care less, love the shit out of it man, you go boy, but its when you bait others, attack others, and stick your neck out there in a very hypocritical way, it makes me say, "Hmm, what can this guy say that is believeable?". I think that is something a lot of others notice also, and its why you are catching the flak you have been catching.

I don't have to deal with anything there buddy, but if you would rather do 180's like crazy and go overboard in your defense of this thing, even in the face of people throwing out some very valid points, than maintain good relationships with people, me included, that is fine.

I also find it interesting that its bad for people to make money off of something that was in high demand. You act like we've committed genocide or something and you wen't overboard on that. I made my money and if I could have, I would have waved it in your face for the comments you made to me and to others that sold their systems. You pissed me off there bro and combined with your other comments has probably irreperably damaged our friendship. Personally, you take gaming too seriously and what people do with things like gaming consoles, shouldn't make you so angry that you wish people you talk to on a daily basis in here, ill will.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 04:35:26 PM by jblank » Logged

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2006, 04:37:12 PM »

God, jblank, who gives a crap? Knock it off.

As for Chaz, you didn't seriously just lump Fantavision and SSX together, did you? SSX is one of the best launch titles ever. You pissed me off there bro and probably irreperably damaged our friendship.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2006, 04:39:02 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on December 17, 2006, 04:37:12 PM

As for Chaz, you didn't seriously just lump Fantavision and SSX together, did you? SSX is one of the best launch titles ever. You pissed me off there bro and probably irreperably damaged our friendship.

The sarcasm is unnecessary.

Let someone tell you they hope something you sell falls flat on its face. I love how people like to interject themselves into discussions and situations where they don't need to.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2006, 04:45:25 PM »

Way to come in a ruin a thread... I won't name names. Ruined a good thread with actual rational discussion

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2006, 04:48:35 PM »

Quote from: jblank on December 17, 2006, 04:39:02 PM

Let someone tell you they hope something you sell falls flat on its face. I love how people like to interject themselves into discussions and situations where they don't need to.

Jblank and Hetz - cool it. Now. Especially you Tebunker. ninja2

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2006, 04:49:33 PM »

You know what, I am about (this close) to ceasing any discussion of console gaming. I get a little tired of being painted as the asshole when I am not one. I didn't ruin a fucking thing Tebunker, all I did was address a post he made and then continue a discussion we have needed to finish for a while. You people are getting as bad with your games as the jerks at OO get with their politics.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2006, 04:52:10 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on December 17, 2006, 04:48:35 PM

Jblank and Hetz - cool it. Now. Especially you Tebunker. ninja2 <-- And, what the hell WBS? I'm just pointing out the truth. I should've added my note below to my orginal post, but I am farthest from being the instigator here.

Yeah and Both of you could've addressed it in PM's like all this long ongoing discussion you've been having across multiple threads. Note I didn't paint you as an asshole Jblank, I think quite the opposite. I think you choose to pick your battles in the wrong places. No one wants to see you and Hetz have an almost personal spat. Just take it private.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 04:58:29 PM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2006, 04:54:23 PM »

Whatever you say man.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2006, 05:12:30 PM »

I'm with Robbie.  Seriously... SSX was the greatest launch game of any console EVAR.  Fantavision was average at best

gellar
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2006, 05:41:22 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 17, 2006, 05:12:30 PM

I'm with Robbie.  Seriously... SSX was the greatest launch game of any console EVAR.  Fantavision was average at best

gellar

When the PS2 launched I got Madden and SSX after about 45 mins with SSX I left Madden in it's box for about a month it was that good and that addictive lol.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2006, 05:57:36 PM »

Man, that was a little firestorm I kicked up.

Okay, I wasn't saying SSX was a bad game by any stretch.  I love SSX, and I agree it was a very good launch game.

What I was getting at was that the PS2 launch library was very slim.  SSX was really the only game worth having on the PS2 for at least the first six months to a year, but they wound up with an amazing library of games.  Same could be said for the Xbox and the DS.  My point was that early libraries are no indication of what the ultimate depth of titles on a console will be.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2006, 06:04:08 PM »

True, but killer app games sure help move systems in those early days. Case in point, the new Zelda on the Wii.

Personally, I'm glad the PS3 doesn't have a killer game yet because I don't want to pay that much for a new console or deal with the low supply difficulties.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2006, 07:21:32 PM »

What does it really matter in the scheme of things. 

PS3 will at least catch up in this generation and be tied with 360andWii

I think the Sony has taken a horrible mistep at 500-600 dollars its stupid. It really is.

When the lower the price it will sell better.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2006, 08:11:05 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on December 17, 2006, 04:52:10 PM

Jblank and Hetz - cool it. Now. Especially you Tebunker. ninja2 <-- And, what the hell WBS? I'm just pointing out the truth. I should've added my note below to my orginal post, but I am farthest from being the instigator here.

Yeah and Both of you could've addressed it in PM's like all this long ongoing discussion you've been having across multiple threads. Note I didn't paint you as an asshole Jblank, I think quite the opposite. I think you choose to pick your battles in the wrong places. No one wants to see you and Hetz have an almost personal spat. Just take it private.

Absolutely.

jblank and Hetz this is a public forum for people to discuss things.  It is not a place to air your grievances and it is not a place to bait, defend and get into petty little snits so everyone else has to read your crap.

If you want to discuss games - great.  If you want to discuss other stuff - great.

If you want to nitpick and get all pissy and angry about what people are saying here then take those discussions into personal messages or email.

It's not fair to the rest of us who want to discuss the topic at hand to have to wade through this shit.

In the future if someone takes a swipe at either of you I expect your response to be "Please send me a PM so we can discuss this privately without derailing this discussion."  That's it.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2006, 08:30:13 PM »

Dude the "argument" ended 3+ hrs ago.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2006, 08:59:50 PM »

Quote from: warning on December 17, 2006, 08:11:05 PM

Quote from: Tebunker on December 17, 2006, 04:52:10 PM

Absolutely.

jblank and Hetz this is a public forum for people to discuss things.  It is not a place to air your grievances and it is not a place to bait, defend and get into petty little snits so everyone else has to read your crap.

If you want to discuss games - great.  If you want to discuss other stuff - great.

If you want to nitpick and get all pissy and angry about what people are saying here then take those discussions into personal messages or email.

It's not fair to the rest of us who want to discuss the topic at hand to have to wade through this shit.

In the future if someone takes a swipe at either of you I expect your response to be "Please send me a PM so we can discuss this privately without derailing this discussion."  That's it.

Please send me a PM so we can discuss this privately without derailing this discussion. Thanks.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2006, 09:09:12 PM »

It's a closed matter Hetz. You have your opinions, I have mine, and I think the issue is over.

StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2006, 09:10:32 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on December 17, 2006, 06:04:08 PM

True, but killer app games sure help move systems in those early days. Case in point, the new Zelda on the Wii.

Personally, I'm glad the PS3 doesn't have a killer game yet because I don't want to pay that much for a new console or deal with the low supply difficulties.

I totally agree.  There is no real killer app out right now for the PS3.  It's probably why I and others am in no real rush to buy one.  Anything I might buy, I can get on the 360.  By the time the games like Metal Gear 4, Grand turismo, and Final Fantasy hit, it should be a LOT easier to walk in a store and buy a PS3.  Already having a 360 has made me quite patient in my console buying when it comes to the Wii and PS3.  I'm very happy with the next gen games available to me, so why camp, call, and ebay my way to a new system.  I can see myself waiting till June to get a PS3 now, though I know I WILL get one.  Don't know about a Wii yet.  I have to see them put out more good games like zelda, I'm not big on the gimmick/party stuff.
sclick
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2006, 06:07:24 PM »

I was in Fred Meyer the other day. The place was packed with Christmas shoppers. They announced over the PA that they had two of the 20gig PS3's for sale. About 15 minutes later they made another announcement. 10 minutes later they had sold one, and had one still available. By the time I left, they still hadn't sold the second one.

I know if they had said they had two Wii's for sale, there would have been a stampede.

I bought a Wii for the kids for Christmas back in November. Luckily, I snagged it online since I wouldn't have done the waiting-in-line thing. I don't have any high expectations. I've got a 360 and that's my primary gaming machine. But the Wii just looks like fun. Wii Sports is the kind of thing we like to play as a family, and I really think there is some potential for the controllers if the developers can get it right.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2006, 08:29:35 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on December 17, 2006, 05:38:26 AM

Yes, the Cube was more capable than the PS2. Many ports (particularly later in the systems' lifespans) generally followed this pattern of how excellent the graphics/performance(including framerate, loading, saving, ability to run in progressive scan and/or widescreen etc) were from least to best: PS2 -> Cube -> X-Box.

If you can access them, a lot of IGN's head-to-head articles showed this to be true through comparing games across all three systems. It wasn't a massive difference in many cases, but it was noticeable.

Games that were developed specifically for one system obviously made the best use of the system in question. And while many people regard a game like the Wind Waker, for instance, to be less impressive graphically (claiming it's simple compared to something like Metal Gear Solid 2), that's actually quite untrue on a technical level. It's not always easier or less impressive to code a game engine to put out convincing "simple" graphics. The general gaming public seems to often confuse "realistic" with "complex and impressive".

All three systems had spectacularly outstanding games that really showed off their capabilities while overcoming their limitations.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: