http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 08:59:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Retail demand for PS3 dropping below supply level?  (Read 5210 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4004



View Profile
« on: December 16, 2006, 03:06:02 AM »

Cross-posting from Gamers With Jobs because I'm genuinely curious to hear from others around the country. For reference, I'm in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. No mecca of delights, I assure you. icon_wink

I'm starting to see comments in various places of people actually seeing PS3's in stock and they're not flying off the shelves like the Wii is. So genuine question: is the retail demand for the PS3 already tapering off a bit, not just the eBay demand?

Personal anecdote, I was at Best Buy tonight and witnessed three separate people (i.e. not shopping together; two middle-aged people and one elderly gentleman) asking about the Wii to the video game guys in the middle of that part of the store, but I didn't hear a single person ask about a PS3. Just interesting to me.

I'm not trying to reignite the console flame war, so I want to point out that this thread is not about the merits of various systems, I'm purely interested in hearing how the market seems to be going for each console.  I can't guess at how the 360 is doing; I've seen it reasonably in-stock when I've thought to check, but I've personally not seen either a Wii or a PS3 in stock anywhere.
Logged

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 03:09:21 AM »

I think there'd be a whole lot more demand for the PS3 if the price were lower.
At my store, demand for the Wii is much higher. But aside from that, many people
that want the PS3 either can't or won't pay that much for it.
Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11067


I said good day, sir!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 03:39:21 AM »

The price has a major impact on parents that are buying gifts for kids.  $250 with included games is much more manageable than the PS3 equation.  I'm willing to bet that the majority of people more excited about the PS3 are 20-35 year old males who would be buying it for themselves. 
Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4217


View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 04:05:00 AM »

For what it's worth....everytime I have seen a PS3 in the store, by the time I went back a couple hours later, they were gone. I just think Sony has really been shipping new units to stores every week, unlike MS which sent out basically nothing all of December last year.

Oh and yes I have seen way more people asking about the Wii....but they were all parents. They also never had any units available.
Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Kobra
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3240


View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 04:09:50 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 16, 2006, 04:05:00 AM

For what it's worth....everytime I have seen a PS3 in the store, by the time I went back a couple hours later, they were gone. I just think Sony has really been shipping new units to stores every week, unlike MS which sent out basically nothing all of December last year.

Oh and yes I have seen way more people asking about the Wii....but they were all parents. They also never had any units available.

I agree with this.  My local costco got a full palet of them in.. I went in 2 days later to pick one up for a forum member, and every single one was sold out.  Thats pretty awesome considering they were $699.99 bundles!  Seems like the supply chain for PS3's has been pretty regular, while the Wii there seems to be some withholding going on.

I was in Circuit City today, and the game manager admitted they have Wii's in back, but by company orders they cannot sell them until Sunday.  Seems to me they are *CREATING* demand for them where there may not be as much demand by withholding units to put on the shelves. Oh, and he said they have 75 units.

Another thing is, the "Wii" seems to be the "Thing" this year that raging soccer moms will run over people in their minivans to get little timmy one for Christmas morning..  Oprah is pumping them, the news is pimping them, even fucking Better Homes and Gardens is pimping them.  Wii is clearly the "Cabbage Patch" of this years shopping season.  Not sure that is a great thing for gaming myself, as I don't really think those soccer moms got much of a fucking clue about anything, much less gaming.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 04:11:41 AM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5530



View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 05:09:54 AM »

Quote
Another thing is, the "Wii" seems to be the "Thing" this year that raging soccer moms will run over people in their minivans to get little timmy one for Christmas morning..  Oprah is pumping them, the news is pimping them, even fucking Better Homes and Gardens is pimping them.  Wii is clearly the "Cabbage Patch" of this years shopping season.  Not sure that is a great thing for gaming myself, as I don't really think those soccer moms got much of a fucking clue about anything, much less gaming.

I agree, I see the Wii as a trend. I don't see it having any sort of longevity in this generation of consoles.
Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3307


View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 05:45:30 AM »

Ridah and Kobra, quit talking shit and play one.

Guess what, if they sell, and they are, games will come.
Logged
Sarkus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2593


View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 06:38:47 AM »

I work in the electronics department of a mass retailer and demand/interest in the Wii is much, much higher than for the PS3.  We get a dozen calls a day asking if/when we will have Wii's.  We have people lining up at opening 3 mornings a week just to see if we got any Wii's on our normal shipment days. 

Meanwhile, we get very few questions about the PS3 and the other day we still hadn't sold the PS3 we got that morning almost 12 hours later.

Logged

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4004



View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 06:44:08 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 16, 2006, 05:09:54 AM

Quote
Another thing is, the "Wii" seems to be the "Thing" this year that raging soccer moms will run over people in their minivans to get little timmy one for Christmas morning..  Oprah is pumping them, the news is pimping them, even fucking Better Homes and Gardens is pimping them.  Wii is clearly the "Cabbage Patch" of this years shopping season.  Not sure that is a great thing for gaming myself, as I don't really think those soccer moms got much of a fucking clue about anything, much less gaming.

I agree, I see the Wii as a trend. I don't see it having any sort of longevity in this generation of consoles.

I hesitated starting this thread because this kind of derailment was exactly what I was afraid might happen (whether against the PS3 or the Wii). :icon_confused: I'm purely interested in how the sales/demand are actually going here. Leave the ranting/judgements/predictions at home, please.
Logged

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16378



View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 06:51:32 AM »

when the system comes out this march for us over here in the UK...the console will cost £425....the 360,is still £280(wouldnt be suprised if that went down soon)...and the Wii £180

i for one,could buy one,this march...but i wont,i will spend my money on new 360 games,or hopefully super mario galaxy for the Wii if its out(i'll be buggered if there is any other game i want for the Wii apart from metroid....so it seems at the moment)

the magazines here are still going on about the rumours on metal gear 4 costing a hell of a lot of money(no shenmue 2 i guess but still costing a lot)..and that it WILL make an appearance on the 360...so if i did buy a ps3,i would only be buying it really for final fantasy 13,which i guess still wont be out for a few years


question:there was a lot of people saying ,before the ps3 came out that the games were gonna cost more....now that its out over there..how much are the games for it?,are they more expensive or was it just a load of bollocks?
Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kobra
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3240


View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 06:54:52 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on December 16, 2006, 06:38:47 AM

I work in the electronics department of a mass retailer and demand/interest in the Wii is much, much higher than for the PS3.  We get a dozen calls a day asking if/when we will have Wii's.  We have people lining up at opening 3 mornings a week just to see if we got any Wii's on our normal shipment days. 

Meanwhile, we get very few questions about the PS3 and the other day we still hadn't sold the PS3 we got that morning almost 12 hours later.



Well duh!  The wii is being hyped like hell on every show from Good Morning America to Oprah..  What do you expect?  Like I said, this is the Tickle-Me-Elmo of 2006 holiday shopping season..  The sheep will follow their masters and whatever they are told to buy.  I have yet to see a single mainstream show pump the PS3 or Xbox360.

I have played one, I like it, I won't buy it though.  In fact I picked up Twilight Princess for the GameCube today for $37.  I don't want to spend another $250 for funky controller version of the Gamecube.  I refuse.
Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4004



View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 07:01:07 AM »

Quote from: Kobra
I have yet to see a single mainstream show pump the PS3 or Xbox360.

Did you simply not watch TV for any of the weeks leading up to the launch of the PS3? The problem is that there's nothing further to hype on the PS3 at this point on mainstream tv. It's currently a system that really appeals more to gamers than anyone else. The 360 has hit the point where it has diversified its lineup a bit with titles like Kameo and Viva Pinata which can hit that family demographic more. But Nintendo, like with the N64, has hit the mark for family gaming right now of the new-gen systems and that's what gets mainstream coverage.

Quote from: Kobra
I have played one, I like it, I won't buy it though.  In fact I picked up Twilight Princess for the GameCube today for $37.  I don't want to spend another $250 for funky controller version of the Gamecube.  I refuse.

While as I have noted in multiple threads that I disagree with the continuing misinformation that the Wii is just a Cube with a funky controller, I do agree that with the new Zelda game I'm rather iffy on the controls. I'm still debating whether I'd prefer the Cube version or the Wii version. I'm a sucker for widescreen presentation, so the Wii gets the nod on that, but I really like the classic Cube/N64 controls for the Zelda games. It's actually not an easy choice for me, at least.
Logged

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3307


View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 07:15:30 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on December 16, 2006, 07:01:07 AM

While as I have noted in multiple threads that I disagree with the continuing misinformation that the Wii is just a Cube with a funky controller, I do agree that with the new Zelda game I'm rather iffy on the controls. I'm still debating whether I'd prefer the Cube version or the Wii version. I'm a sucker for widescreen presentation, so the Wii gets the nod on that, but I really like the classic Cube/N64 controls for the Zelda games. It's actually not an easy choice for me, at least.

What exactly worries you? The controls are very easy and natural. To draw your sword or swing, you shake the controller. Not a lot, or hard, you don't have to move it more than an inch or so. Sure you can swing it like a real sword, but it would be pointless. Shield attack? You thrust the nunchuk forward. Not alot, just a few inches. It works, it's easy, and it becomes second nature quite quickly. Shooting a bow, sling, etc. its like a mouse cursor. 100 times better than trying to aim with a traditional controller.
Logged
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3480


Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me


View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 07:36:18 AM »

I think one thing people really overlook is the power of Wii Sports. You spend $250 you can come home and play right away. Nothing extra to purchase. Now you have a healthy helping of pretty poor ports and about 7 or so games worth owning after Wii Sports. It's that take home and play without needing anything else though that really moves it. It is a big thing for consumers. Just plug it in and start playing. Shoot you can play Bowling and Golf with one controller and up to 4 folks! I think that's viral too, it spreads because friends want them. It already is becoming a big hit on College Campuses. So now it is up to Nintendo to get the word out that there are more games to play than Wii Sports, and there's also the Virtual Console. If they can get these people buying games, the Wii will more than Surpass the Christmas fad phase, but right now it has just enough momentum to put them in a solid position.
Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4004



View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 08:06:58 AM »

Quote from: Lee on December 16, 2006, 07:15:30 AM

What exactly worries you? The controls are very easy and natural. To draw your sword or swing, you shake the controller. Not a lot, or hard, you don't have to move it more than an inch or so. Sure you can swing it like a real sword, but it would be pointless. Shield attack? You thrust the nunchuk forward. Not alot, just a few inches. It works, it's easy, and it becomes second nature quite quickly. Shooting a bow, sling, etc. its like a mouse cursor. 100 times better than trying to aim with a traditional controller.

The main thing for me is the sword control. It just sounds odd (and unnatural) to me to shake the remote to swing the sword. I'm stuck in my old ways of pushing the button to swing Link's sword. icon_wink All the other controls I've read about for the game actually sound very comfortable on the Wii. But if the sword control doesn't feel right to me, well... that's a pretty significant part of the gameplay! I won't know for sure until I try it though. icon_smile
Logged

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
denoginizer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6538


View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2006, 02:36:28 PM »

Pricepoint.  Pricepoint.  Pricepoint. Pricepoint.

$250 is still in Christmas gift for the kids range.  $600 is not.
Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
The_Man
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 743



View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2006, 02:51:19 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on December 16, 2006, 07:36:18 AM

I think one thing people really overlook is the power of Wii Sports. You spend $250 you can come home and play right away. Nothing extra to purchase. Now you have a healthy helping of pretty poor ports and about 7 or so games worth owning after Wii Sports. It's that take home and play without needing anything else though that really moves it. It is a big thing for consumers. Just plug it in and start playing. Shoot you can play Bowling and Golf with one controller and up to 4 folks! I think that's viral too, it spreads because friends want them. It already is becoming a big hit on College Campuses. So now it is up to Nintendo to get the word out that there are more games to play than Wii Sports, and there's also the Virtual Console. If they can get these people buying games, the Wii will more than Surpass the Christmas fad phase, but right now it has just enough momentum to put them in a solid position.

Yeah, but isn't it sad that other than Wii Sports and Zelda, there is really no other must-have game for the system?  If you want to really examine the "cool" controller, lets get down and dirty and see if it works as a viable option or is just a gimmick and forced into the game.

Super Monkey Ball - We all know how this one works.  You tilt the table to move the Monkey ball where you want it to go.  Since I own every version of Super Monkey Ball, including the Wii version, I think I'm qualified to say that the game works much better and is much less frustrating with a standard controller.  The problem is you tilt the controller to move forward and then sometimes you have to stop on a dime and change directions and that's just too hard to do with the Wii remote.  My 10 year old has completed all of the Monkey ball games, but I share his frustration with the Wii version.

Rayman Raving Rabbids - Another game where you have to be very precise with the controller in order to beat some of the mini games.  One in particular is a game that you have to cut out food with the Wii remote kind of like following the dotted lines.  Again, I think the controller fails miserably here and is probably the main reason neither of my younger kids have asked to play it again.

Red Steel - Great concept, poor implementation with the controller yet again.  I originally bought this game, but returned it after reading the reviews.  It turns out the low scores are warranted as several of my friends that have played it mentioned that the control was very flakey and not precise at all...especially when you needed it to be.

Excite Truck - I'm trying my best to like this game, but again I think the controller itself gets in the way of this game being fun.  Even though it's an over-the-top arcade game, you still long for some preciseness when you makes some of those real sharp turns.  Yet another game that would probably be more fun with a Gamecube controller.

I could go on and on, but the truth of the matter is Wii Sports and Zelda are the only two games so far that actually make good use of the controller.  I love everything about Wii Sports and the controller functions exactly as it should in both of those games.  It's too bad that the other games didn't receive the top shelf treatment.

I love my Wii, but at best it's a novelty console...at least until someone releases more games that actually work as intended with the controller.  I will say this however, the Wii has gotten more non-gamers involved, but how long will they stick around? 
Logged
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8186


You are likely to be eaten by a grue.


View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2006, 03:05:28 PM »

Quote from: The_Man on December 16, 2006, 02:51:19 PM


Super Monkey Ball - We all know how this one works.  You tilt the table to move the Monkey ball where you want it to go.  Since I own every version of Super Monkey Ball, including the Wii version, I think I'm qualified to say that the game works much better and is much less frustrating with a standard controller.  The problem is you tilt the controller to move forward and then sometimes you have to stop on a dime and change directions and that's just too hard to do with the Wii remote.  My 10 year old has completed all of the Monkey ball games, but I share his frustration with the Wii version.

Rayman Raving Rabbids - Another game where you have to be very precise with the controller in order to beat some of the mini games.  One in particular is a game that you have to cut out food with the Wii remote kind of like following the dotted lines.  Again, I think the controller fails miserably here and is probably the main reason neither of my younger kids have asked to play it again.


I own both of these and I haven't really had any troubles.  Have you tried messing with the wiimote sensitivity?
Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3480


Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me


View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2006, 03:15:37 PM »

The_Man I'd have to disagree with you on all points for the most part. I think the controller works great for the games you listed, and pretty much all of the ones you listed are worth owning and playing with the Exception being Red Steel, which I think wouldn't be so bad once it was cheaper, it wasn't anything super special.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 03:18:31 PM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
coopasonic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4127



View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2006, 03:21:26 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 16, 2006, 06:51:32 AM

question:there was a lot of people saying ,before the ps3 came out that the games were gonna cost more....now that its out over there..how much are the games for it?,are they more expensive or was it just a load of bollocks?

Didn't see that this was answered. PS3 games are being priced the same as 360 games.
Logged

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
The_Man
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 743



View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2006, 03:26:23 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 16, 2006, 03:05:28 PM

Quote from: The_Man on December 16, 2006, 02:51:19 PM


Super Monkey Ball - We all know how this one works.  You tilt the table to move the Monkey ball where you want it to go.  Since I own every version of Super Monkey Ball, including the Wii version, I think I'm qualified to say that the game works much better and is much less frustrating with a standard controller.  The problem is you tilt the controller to move forward and then sometimes you have to stop on a dime and change directions and that's just too hard to do with the Wii remote.  My 10 year old has completed all of the Monkey ball games, but I share his frustration with the Wii version.

Rayman Raving Rabbids - Another game where you have to be very precise with the controller in order to beat some of the mini games.  One in particular is a game that you have to cut out food with the Wii remote kind of like following the dotted lines.  Again, I think the controller fails miserably here and is probably the main reason neither of my younger kids have asked to play it again.


I own both of these and I haven't really had any troubles.  Have you tried messing with the wiimote sensitivity?

No I haven't because it seems to be fine with Wii Sports and Zelda.  But I guess it could be worth a try.
Logged
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8186


You are likely to be eaten by a grue.


View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2006, 03:45:43 PM »

Quote from: The_Man on December 16, 2006, 03:26:23 PM

No I haven't because it seems to be fine with Wii Sports and Zelda.  But I guess it could be worth a try.

Well, those two games use the wiimote somewhat differently than Monkey Ball and Rayman (well, except for aiming in Zelda, but I find that part to be on par in difficulty with Rayman and Monkey Ball).  Might be worth a shot.
Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8986


I'm a dolphin!


View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2006, 04:44:53 PM »

Two things: 

1) I agree with the Wii being uninteresting.  I've played one.  I'm totally unimpressed by the controls, and even less impressed with the game selection.  And if Zelda can't get ME to buy something, they've done something wrong slywink.  I understand it's appeal to some, but don't understand why people think everyone will love it.  I actually HATE the controls.

2) I've not yet even seen a PS3 OR a Wii on a store shelf here in the SF Bay Area.  Supply ain't come close to demand here.

gellar
Logged
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8186


You are likely to be eaten by a grue.


View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2006, 05:43:06 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 16, 2006, 04:44:53 PM

I understand it's appeal to some, but don't understand why people think everyone will love it.  I actually HATE the controls.


You are in the minority, my friend.  The Wii is getting people to play video games that haven't in a very long time and it is all due to the controls.  So while you may not like it, tons do.  The good news, though, is you really only have to worry about whether you like it and that's one more system for Kobra's dreaded soccer mom to trample little Timmy for.
Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8986


I'm a dolphin!


View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2006, 06:18:41 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 16, 2006, 05:43:06 PM

Quote from: gellar on December 16, 2006, 04:44:53 PM

I understand it's appeal to some, but don't understand why people think everyone will love it.  I actually HATE the controls.


You are in the minority, my friend.  The Wii is getting people to play video games that haven't in a very long time and it is all due to the controls.  So while you may not like it, tons do.  The good news, though, is you really only have to worry about whether you like it and that's one more system for Kobra's dreaded soccer mom to trample little Timmy for.

I'm sure you have empirical evidence to back your claims, other than random facts you're pulling from your ass?  You'd never do that, I'm sure.

gellar
Logged
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8186


You are likely to be eaten by a grue.


View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2006, 06:36:28 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 16, 2006, 06:18:41 PM


I'm sure you have empirical evidence to back your claims, other than random facts you're pulling from your ass?  You'd never do that, I'm sure.

gellar

Not sure you why you got a little nasty on that reply as I said nothing nasty to you, only about Kobra.  However, to answer, my proof is the fact that Wiis are flying off the shelves and I have read report after report in blogs, gaming sites, and (gasp) mainstream media all reporting identical things.  Now, that isn't exactly empirical, I suppose, but there honestly is no way to empirically prove it, other than pointing to the sales data which shows the machine flying off the shelves.  I guarantee you those aren't all hard core gamers.
Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5530



View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2006, 06:53:30 PM »

I hardly believe that the Wii is flying off shelves because it's such a spectacular system, I think it's flying off shelves simply because it's the new Nintendo thingy to own. If the PS3 was similarly priced and available, I think more than 50% (if not more) of those Wii sales would be going in the opposite direction.

Seriously though, the Wii has no legs. If Wii products look bad compared to current 360/PS3 products right out of the gate, how will they look in two years? The Wii is a rip-off as a gaming machine as much as the PS3 is, simply because of it's potentially short life-span. The way I look at it, the Wii came out this generation front-loaded. The PS3 is the opposite and is going to take a bit of time to really shine and establish itself.
Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
godhugh
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1064


View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2006, 07:00:36 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 16, 2006, 06:53:30 PM

I hardly believe that the Wii is flying off shelves because it's such a spectacular system, I think it's flying off shelves simply because it's the new Nintendo thingy to own. If the PS3 was similarly priced and available, I think more than 50% (if not more) of those Wii sales would be going in the opposite direction.

Seriously though, the Wii has no legs. If Wii products look bad compared to current 360/PS3 products right out of the gate, how will they look in two years? The Wii is a rip-off as a gaming machine as much as the PS3 is, simply because of it's potentially short life-span. The way I look at it, the Wii came out this generation front-loaded. The PS3 is the opposite and is going to take a bit of time to really shine and establish itself.

Because the GBA and DS died real quick as well right?

Look, you can't look at the Wii the same way you do the PS3. If you're going to compare it to something, compare it to the DS. It's appealing to the same market, using the same sort of scheme...an easy to use, intuitive control system, low cost, and quirky, yet enjoyable games.

Also, did the Gamecube go flying off the shelves simply because it was Nintendo? No, it really didn't. The Wii is a success so far because Nintendo has found a way to appeal to the mass market, as opposed to Sony and MS who appeal mainly to the hardcore gaming crowd. 

As for the "if the PS3 was priced the same" stuff, that's just ridiculous. If it was priced the same it wouldn't be a PS3, because 90% of it's features would be missing. So what's your point?
Logged
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8986


I'm a dolphin!


View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2006, 07:03:33 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 16, 2006, 06:36:28 PM

Quote from: gellar on December 16, 2006, 06:18:41 PM


I'm sure you have empirical evidence to back your claims, other than random facts you're pulling from your ass?  You'd never do that, I'm sure.

gellar

Not sure you why you got a little nasty on that reply as I said nothing nasty to you, only about Kobra.  However, to answer, my proof is the fact that Wiis are flying off the shelves and I have read report after report in blogs, gaming sites, and (gasp) mainstream media all reporting identical things.  Now, that isn't exactly empirical, I suppose, but there honestly is no way to empirically prove it, other than pointing to the sales data which shows the machine flying off the shelves.  I guarantee you those aren't all hard core gamers.

My point is simply there's a LOT of people (and media, as you've stated) saying what you're saying and have absolutely NOTHING other than anecdotes to back it up.  Sales data, as Ridah said, means very little at this point.

The Wii could be a totally unqualified success, but I don't think it'll be due to the "revolutionary" controls.  It'll be because it has fun games that people want to play.  There are literally dozens of failed "revolutionary" control systems in the history of video games (Powerglove, anyone?).

gellar
Logged
Haavok1
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 47


View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2006, 07:17:04 PM »

How many people are buying it because it is the thing to buy right now.  2 months from now people may be sick of the controls.  What I am waiting for is the carpal tunnel lawsuit that you know someone will eventually file.
Logged
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8186


You are likely to be eaten by a grue.


View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2006, 07:21:42 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 16, 2006, 07:03:33 PM

My point is simply there's a LOT of people (and media, as you've stated) saying what you're saying and have absolutely NOTHING other than anecdotes to back it up.  Sales data, as Ridah said, means very little at this point.

The Wii could be a totally unqualified success, but I don't think it'll be due to the "revolutionary" controls.  It'll be because it has fun games that people want to play.  There are literally dozens of failed "revolutionary" control systems in the history of video games (Powerglove, anyone?).

gellar

Unfortunately, I don't think we will really get to prove exactly why it is a success.  I have a feeling it is the price point and the controls combined.  I think if it was just a Gamecube level system (in other words, graphics not up to par with 360), it wouldn't be flying off the shelves.  I think people see people having fun with the controls swatting tennis balls and swinging swords and they find that more acceptable than sitting with a traditional controller.

It is hard to compare Wii to PS3 in this argument because if I think about what happens if PS3 is released at $250 with its existing technology, well of course it will fly off the shelves.  You can't expect to pay that little for all the new technology (wow, I sound like a Sony exec) and $250 would be a hell of a bargain for it.  Also muddling the argument is the fact that Sony can hardly ship units out.  You can't say what the demand truly is because it is always sold out due to the low numbers shipped.
Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3307


View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2006, 07:34:44 PM »

Quote from: Haavok1 on December 16, 2006, 07:17:04 PM

How many people are buying it because it is the thing to buy right now.  2 months from now people may be sick of the controls.  What I am waiting for is the carpal tunnel lawsuit that you know someone will eventually file.

Again, someone who hasn't played one. The controllers are quite comfortable, I have gotten worse hand cramps from the PS2 or 360 controller.

I love all the shit talking GT has become. We get it, the Wii's graphics suck and we only want one because the media tells us we do (except a lot of us wanted one well before there was any hype). The PS3 is over priced, and anyone who keeps one instead of EBaying it is a fool. And lastly, anything Hetz does/says/buys need to be scrutinized for no reason.
Logged
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8186


You are likely to be eaten by a grue.


View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2006, 07:38:44 PM »

Quote from: Lee on December 16, 2006, 07:34:44 PM

And lastly, anything Hetz does/says/buys need to be scrutinized for no reason.

I'd argue there is indeed reason for this and that reason is FUN!!!!
Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4217


View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2006, 07:51:53 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 16, 2006, 07:38:44 PM

Quote from: Lee on December 16, 2006, 07:34:44 PM

And lastly, anything Hetz does/says/buys need to be scrutinized for no reason.

I'd argue there is indeed reason for this and that reason is FUN!!!!

I'd argue the reason is more JEALOUSY....but what do I know. Everything I say is somehow wrong and/or foolish according to most of you. 

I'll go back to playing Motorstorm now, having a great time!  Tongue

finger
Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15431


Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013


View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2006, 07:57:01 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 16, 2006, 07:51:53 PM

Quote from: The Grue on December 16, 2006, 07:38:44 PM

Quote from: Lee on December 16, 2006, 07:34:44 PM

And lastly, anything Hetz does/says/buys need to be scrutinized for no reason.

I'd argue there is indeed reason for this and that reason is FUN!!!!

I'd argue the reason is more JEALOUSY....but what do I know. Everything I say is somehow wrong and/or foolish according to most of you. 

I'll go back to playing Motorstorm now, having a great time!  Tongue

finger

Wish you would take a break to play us in GoW  :icon_sad:
Logged
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3480


Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me


View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2006, 08:07:59 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 16, 2006, 07:51:53 PM

Quote from: The Grue on December 16, 2006, 07:38:44 PM

Quote from: Lee on December 16, 2006, 07:34:44 PM

And lastly, anything Hetz does/says/buys need to be scrutinized for no reason.

I'd argue there is indeed reason for this and that reason is FUN!!!!

I'd argue the reason is more JEALOUSY....but what do I know. Everything I say is somehow wrong and/or foolish according to most of you. 

I'll go back to playing Motorstorm now, having a great time!  Tongue

finger

Actually I love it, I just, oddly enough, want to know more about the man named Hetz. I remember when you announced on Gonegold that you and your wife were having your first child. I thought to myself then, well there goes video games for ole' Hetz, his enthusiasm was appreciated but the child will take all that money and everything else with it. Lo and behold you keep up your super gamer lifestyle. I am more impressed than anything. I can't expet you to share what you do with your personal life, but I think outside of this board it'd be interesting to see how you do it. Finally, I do believe there is a tinge of jealously, but there's also a tinge of needing to justify yourself too, which is probably more subconscious than anything. Eitherway, I'm all for what you do and how you do it. Your posts keep the board interesting, and I support any threads that get Calvin's panties in a bunch over wavering console loyalty  icon_wink nod
Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4217


View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2006, 08:12:32 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 16, 2006, 07:57:01 PM

Quote from: Hetz on December 16, 2006, 07:51:53 PM

Quote from: The Grue on December 16, 2006, 07:38:44 PM

Quote from: Lee on December 16, 2006, 07:34:44 PM

And lastly, anything Hetz does/says/buys need to be scrutinized for no reason.

I'd argue there is indeed reason for this and that reason is FUN!!!!

I'd argue the reason is more JEALOUSY....but what do I know. Everything I say is somehow wrong and/or foolish according to most of you. 

I'll go back to playing Motorstorm now, having a great time!  Tongue

finger

Wish you would take a break to play us in GoW  :icon_sad:

I'm sorry about that. Each time you have tried to invite me, I have been in the middle of something else. Tell ya what though. I can play for a bit tonight. If you are online tonight, give me an invite and I'll play.
Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8986


I'm a dolphin!


View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2006, 08:14:27 PM »

Quote from: Lee on December 16, 2006, 07:34:44 PM

Quote from: Haavok1 on December 16, 2006, 07:17:04 PM

How many people are buying it because it is the thing to buy right now.  2 months from now people may be sick of the controls.  What I am waiting for is the carpal tunnel lawsuit that you know someone will eventually file.

Again, someone who hasn't played one. The controllers are quite comfortable, I have gotten worse hand cramps from the PS2 or 360 controller.

I love all the shit talking GT has become. We get it, the Wii's graphics suck and we only want one because the media tells us we do (except a lot of us wanted one well before there was any hype). The PS3 is over priced, and anyone who keeps one instead of EBaying it is a fool. And lastly, anything Hetz does/says/buys need to be scrutinized for no reason.

Well if it's not the XBox 360, clearly it is terrible.  Duh.

gellar
Logged
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4217


View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2006, 08:22:37 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on December 16, 2006, 08:07:59 PM

Quote from: Hetz on December 16, 2006, 07:51:53 PM

Quote from: The Grue on December 16, 2006, 07:38:44 PM

Quote from: Lee on December 16, 2006, 07:34:44 PM

And lastly, anything Hetz does/says/buys need to be scrutinized for no reason.

I'd argue there is indeed reason for this and that reason is FUN!!!!

I'd argue the reason is more JEALOUSY....but what do I know. Everything I say is somehow wrong and/or foolish according to most of you. 

I'll go back to playing Motorstorm now, having a great time!  Tongue

finger

Actually I love it, I just, oddly enough, want to know more about the man named Hetz. I remember when you announced on Gonegold that you and your wife were having your first child. I thought to myself then, well there goes video games for ole' Hetz, his enthusiasm was appreciated but the child will take all that money and everything else with it. Lo and behold you keep up your super gamer lifestyle. I am more impressed than anything. I can't expet you to share what you do with your personal life, but I think outside of this board it'd be interesting to see how you do it. Finally, I do believe there is a tinge of jealously, but there's also a tinge of needing to justify yourself too, which is probably more subconscious than anything. Eitherway, I'm all for what you do and how you do it. Your posts keep the board interesting, and I support any threads that get Calvin's panties in a bunch over wavering console loyalty  icon_wink nod

Ahh, yes I remember that as well. It's been over 4 years now since then....  eek

Memories....I remember when you were Mr. 'Gamecube is going to rock the world' back on GG. We got in some fun little spats over there with the GC vs Xbox. Good times.

As for how I do it (have a family and still able to be a hardcore gamer), it's easy. Just ignore the wife and tell the kids to "Shut the hell up, can't you see that Daddy is trying to kill the alien menace????"  Easy as pie!!!

Just kidding....as for the real reason, well all I can say is....sleep is for the weak!  smoke
Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2006, 10:33:09 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 16, 2006, 04:44:53 PM

Two things: 

1) I agree with the Wii being uninteresting.  I've played one.  I'm totally unimpressed by the controls, and even less impressed with the game selection.  And if Zelda can't get ME to buy something, they've done something wrong slywink.  I understand it's appeal to some, but don't understand why people think everyone will love it.  I actually HATE the controls.

2) I've not yet even seen a PS3 OR a Wii on a store shelf here in the SF Bay Area.  Supply ain't come close to demand here.

gellar
+1 to both thoughts. It's exactly how I feel.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.261 seconds with 103 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.095s, 2q)