http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 12:19:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resistance vs Gears of War - FIGHT!  (Read 9583 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 27, 2006, 07:40:00 PM »

Oh and the 360 versions stomps the PS3 version so hard, it has worse reviews according to Game Rankings....pretty incredible.

Regarding Resistance and Marvel PS3 in comparison to GoW and Marvel 360, respectively, I was referring to the graphics. Resistance doesn't hold up to GoW, I don't think a cumulative gamerankings.com score for both games would specifically reflect that. Also, the 360 and PS3 versions of Marvel look the same, but the 360 version has better frame rates.

I still hold my opinion of Resistance, having put some more time into the single and multiplayer. I feel it may be a good game but a killer-app it is not.

That being said, WTF does that have to do with this topic?

Nothing at all, but Hetz is running out of ammo  icon_lol
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 07:41:44 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 27, 2006, 07:41:57 PM »

Also, the 360 and PS3 versions of Marvel look the same

Umm...no they don't....but I can tell that you really like the 360 and hate the PS3, so it really isn't worth getting into this again.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: November 27, 2006, 07:44:20 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 27, 2006, 07:41:57 PM

Also, the 360 and PS3 versions of Marvel look the same

Umm...no they don't....but I can tell that you really like the 360 and hate the PS3, so it really isn't worth getting into this again.

Sigh.....

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 27, 2006, 07:44:23 PM »

Quote from: Purge
I'd like you to produce these sales (not shipping) numbers though; MS is sitting pretty good AFAIK. (6-7mil shipped). What was the Xbox1 after the first year? I thought they only hit 7 million after their second christmas season (and a price-drop)

Two issues at play:

1)  The whole "selling slower than the original" is strictly referring to domestic sales, I believe.  Two mitigating factors on that score:

-Lack of availability last holiday season hurt MS very, very badly.  The first Xbox got out of the gate with a much stronger start because they shipped a lot more consoles than the 360 did last year.  Most of the delta between the two in their first year on the market in North America can be attributed to the gap in holiday sales.

-Xbox 1 got a price drop it's first summer which nicely spurred sales.  360 has had no such drop.

2) 360 is actually ahead on worldwide numbers IIRC but it also did the whole simultaneous launch thing.  Xbox 1 had a much slower rollout which limited it's first year world wide sales. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: November 27, 2006, 07:49:13 PM »

It sucks that Resistance doesn't have the online co-op of Gears, but its wide variety of modes and the differing capabilities of the playable species give it the advantage.

Winner: Resistance

Co-op is the king of Multiplayer, bar none. Therefore, how could resistance win this category?  ::shrug:: I hope that ALL future FPS games have a co-op ability.

Kevin, thanks for the market reminder... I knew there were a few other factors; I just couldn't think of them off the top of my head.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 27, 2006, 07:51:53 PM »

The only difference I noticed between the two versions of Marvel was the strange graphical glitches the PS3 version had.  Otherwise, they were pretty damn close.  On a 60" 1080p TV, maybe there are minor differences.  I'd wager that 99% of the public couldn't tell them apart on 99% of the TVs out there though (if the PS3 one was working correctly).

What makes the PS3 one look better?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 27, 2006, 07:52:31 PM »

I don't hate the PS3, I just don't see a reason to buy one any time soon. The price isn't as big a deciding factor for me as wanting a machine that I'll actually use. Not to mention, the whole allure of buying the newest, bestest machine wasn't there because the 360 is more impressive than the PS3 out the gate.

The only difference I noticed between the two versions of Marvel was the strange graphical glitches the PS3 version had.  Otherwise, they were pretty damn close.  On a 60" 1080p TV, maybe there are minor differences.  I'd wager that 99% of the public couldn't tell them apart on 99% of the TVs out there though (if the PS3 one was working correctly).

I think the frame rate issues mainly pop up when there are 3-4 people playing.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 07:54:55 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 27, 2006, 08:01:57 PM »

I think the frame rate issues mainly pop up when there are 3-4 people playing.
I was playing solo, and it wasn't a framerate issue, but just glitches on the screen, where small portions of the screen just weren't drawn correctly.  I'd worry it was the PS3 hardware, except that nothing else was causing issues.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 27, 2006, 08:24:08 PM »

Whoever said that if Blu-Ray fails the PS3 is going to look way less attractive at 600$ is spot on. Exactly how I feel about it and one reason I really wish this damn movie format war bullshit would get itself over with.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 27, 2006, 08:34:24 PM »

From IGN's head to head review:

The PS3 version does have stronger bloom lighting and more particle effects

It's also in 1080p vs 720p for the 360 version.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 27, 2006, 10:02:40 PM »

Quote from: Hetz
Most people that I have talked to/heard impressions from have said the start of the new Zelda game is boring as hell. Does that mean that the game sucks? Does that mean that after 6 hours, when the game gets good, it doesn't matter and the game is a dud?

To some of us yes it means exactly that. The first six hours of a game being "boring as hell" does indeed mean the game sucks. No way am I going to slog through 6 hours of shitty play to get to something that may or may not be any better. No amount of funky new weapons or different enemies are going to change the basic problems I have with Resistance. Think about Doom 3. How many people played the demo and decided to never buy the game because the AI was retarded (read: nonexistant) or because the "monster closets" were stupid? Resistance fails in some similiar and some other ways. They're not problems that can suddenly disappear five levels into the game. If the enemies are stupid then they're stupid.

To me about 25 minutes was enough to know my overall opinion of Resistance. You don't form your opinions that quickly. That's fine. It doesn't mean it's nonsense for me to say what I got out of the game in that amount of time, nor is it nonsense for other people who also form their opinions quickly to agree and/or maybe base a buying decision partially on that given opinion.

I've not said a negative word about the PS3. Why you're getting so fired up that someone played a couple of levels of resistance and then voiced their problems with the game I have no idea, but I'm frankly a little tired of the  "OMG TEN MINUTES" comments.

This thread shows some real maturity from some people.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 10:06:01 PM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 27, 2006, 10:06:36 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 27, 2006, 08:34:24 PM

Well it would be 720p for me on the PS3 too.  icon_biggrin

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 28, 2006, 06:43:51 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 27, 2006, 07:49:13 PM

Co-op is the king of Multiplayer, bar none. Therefore, how could resistance win this category?

lol, that's totally just an opinion

otherwise, why have there been so few co-op FPSes in the past several years?  you think devs just like throwing potential sales/money away?  nope, it's because of the fact that not 100% of players care about co-op
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: November 28, 2006, 07:04:20 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 28, 2006, 06:43:51 AM

Quote from: Purge on November 27, 2006, 07:49:13 PM

Co-op is the king of Multiplayer, bar none. Therefore, how could resistance win this category?

lol, that's totally just an opinion

otherwise, why have there been so few co-op FPSes in the past several years?  you think devs just like throwing potential sales/money away?  nope, it's because of the fact that not 100% of players care about co-op

Everything in this thread is an opinion in one way or another.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 28, 2006, 07:13:42 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on November 28, 2006, 07:04:20 AM

of course, but I only have a problem when someone tries to word their opinion as such a staunch and concrete fact
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: November 28, 2006, 03:56:22 PM »

I'm a big gears player, but even I'm finding the plain team deathmatch variants pretty boring.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: November 28, 2006, 04:07:14 PM »

Let me assure you, the bloom lighting and partical effect 'bump' is minimal at best.  You aren't getting a whole new graphical experience by switching platforms.  Samey Samey folks, just in 1080p for the few that can play it with that.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: November 28, 2006, 04:07:51 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 28, 2006, 03:56:22 PM

I'm a big gears player, but even I'm finding the plain team deathmatch variants pretty boring.

I don't do Deathmatch.  Co-Op or CTF or Domination or some other flavor?  Good.  Deathmatch?  Go back to the damned early 90s where you belong.  Innovate or die.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 28, 2006, 04:15:08 PM »

oh yay, more bloom.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 28, 2006, 08:23:23 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 28, 2006, 03:56:22 PM

One of the reasons I have switched mainly to R6 for now. I just played a ton of Gears (i was playing multiple hours of ranked to work towards some of the achievements) and I just got burned out by the sameness of the mp modes-so...I am taking a break before I come back to it.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 28, 2006, 08:24:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 28, 2006, 04:15:08 PM

oh yay, more bloom.....
Don't you know CK, that thats why Sony is going to win! THey are giving us more of what we want!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: November 29, 2006, 03:25:52 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 28, 2006, 07:13:42 AM

Quote from: GatorFavre on November 28, 2006, 07:04:20 AM

of course, but I only have a problem when someone tries to word their opinion as such a staunch and concrete fact

It was satirical in nature. Sheesh.
[sarcasm]Next time I'll include sarcasm tags for you.[/sarcasm]

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 03, 2006, 11:03:58 PM »

thumbsup

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 04, 2006, 12:24:39 AM »

That looks worse than anything you can find anywhere in GoW. Seriously Hetz, the PS3 may be the best thing ever, but Resistance is not as good looking as GoW, its just not even close. And those screenshots aren't helping your case.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 04, 2006, 01:21:14 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 04, 2006, 12:24:39 AM

That looks worse than anything you can find anywhere in GoW. Seriously Hetz, the PS3 may be the best thing ever, but Resistance is not as good looking as GoW, its just not even close. And those screenshots aren't helping your case.
that pic is just begging for a screenshot from the GoW corpser battle or the brumak to be posted in response.  too bad i can't find one online or take one myself though...can anyone else help?

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: December 04, 2006, 01:27:24 AM »

Cripes, I say just let it die.  Resistance looks good, Gears looks good.  Enjoy your games and shut up already!

And Hetz, you know you're just bringing this shit up again and again to antagonize people, so don't get upset when they fire back.  Act like a single-minded dork and you will reap what you sow. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 04, 2006, 01:36:16 AM »

icon_cool thumbsup

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 04, 2006, 01:36:37 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 04, 2006, 12:24:39 AM

Not even close? I think you need your glasses checked....

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 04, 2006, 01:42:57 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 04, 2006, 01:27:24 AM

Cripes, I say just let it die.  Resistance looks good, Gears looks good.  Enjoy your games and shut up already!

And Hetz, you know you're just bringing this shit up again and again to antagonize people, so don't get upset when they fire back.  Act like a single-minded dork and you will reap what you sow. 

I'm not upset at all. I find their single minded "OMG....GoW is the most amazing looking game EVAR!@!@!@!" to be hilarious.

I never said Resistance looks better....I even said from the start that GoW is the better looking game. Resistance looks damn good though and I think it is a better overall game.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: December 04, 2006, 01:56:40 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 04, 2006, 01:42:57 AM

I'm not upset at all. I find their single minded "OMG....GoW is the most amazing looking game EVAR!@!@!@!" to be hilarious.

Sounds like your motorstorm thread to me.  And when you say "their"  are you referring to all of the reviewers that gave GoW a better score than Resistance?  I just dont get you.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 02:01:39 AM by GatorFavre » Logged

warning

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 04, 2006, 03:05:17 AM »

Eh.  It's just a Hetz thing.  He gravitates to the new and shiny and defends it to the bitter end.

Don't forget the fun roughly one year ago when someone entitled a thread "Forget 360, may get PS2 to play Shadow of the Colossus!"  I remember when Hetz had love for his 360 and no other.  *sniff*  Those were the glory days.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: December 04, 2006, 03:14:46 AM »

I can't believe I missed that entire thread! I'm feeling left out.  crybaby

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 04, 2006, 03:35:30 AM »

Quote from: warning on December 04, 2006, 03:05:17 AM

Eh.  It's just a Hetz thing.  He gravitates to the new and shiny and defends it to the bitter end.

Don't forget the fun roughly one year ago when someone entitled a thread "Forget 360, may get PS2 to play Shadow of the Colossus!"  I remember when Hetz had love for his 360 and no other.  *sniff*  Those were the glory days.

Ahh...that was a classic.

I still have love for the 360. Heck, I play mine nearly every single day. However, I don't have love for people that trash the PS3 just to feel good about the 360.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 04, 2006, 04:00:26 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 04, 2006, 03:35:30 AM

However, I don't have love for people that trash the PS3 just to feel good about the 360.

As I scan the first page of threads in the console forum I see 3 PS3 related threads, one bashing the PS3 and two others started by you.  Honestly I don't think people would be talking much about the PS3 one way or the other if you wouldn't keep bringing it up.  Most people don't have one, and don't even want one at this point.  You start these threads and then get angry when people disagree with you.  I'm not really sure what you are expecting.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2006, 04:54:18 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 04, 2006, 01:27:24 AM

Well said, seriously.

Hetz does this with everything, and apparently thinks that people that dare critique his current "Shiney ting", are only jealous little losers that only wish they had life as good as Hetz.  Seriously, without getting personal about the matter, I really wish he would just stop with the nonsense, and post good impressions that are actually not a waste of bandwidth on this forum. 

« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 04:58:44 AM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 04, 2006, 06:01:53 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on December 04, 2006, 04:54:18 AM

Seriously, without getting personal about the matter, I really wish he would just stop with the nonsense, and post good impressions that are actually not a waste of bandwidth on this forum.

Umm, I would say both sides are wasting bandwidth.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 04, 2006, 06:53:43 AM »

That Resistance pic looks no better than Half-Life 2 to me.

Sean Lama
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 04, 2006, 07:26:03 AM »

I still have love for the 360. Heck, I play mine nearly every single day. However, I don't have love for people that trash the PS3 just to feel good about the 360.

Jesus christ dude, stop this "so they can feel good about the 360" bullshit. Its inflammatory, its an ad-hominem, and its stupid. If I wanted a PS3, I could have one. So could many here. I don't yet. I will get one in a year or so, maybe 6 6 months. I DO NOT need to feel good about the 360. I already do, with several million friends. THe games and hardware speak for themselves. You are entirely missing the point and your braggadacio is reaching the heights of absurdity by claiming people daring to discuss the possible flaws in the PS3 and its launch is due to jealousy and ego. If anything, you appear as if you need to justify yourself. God man, take a deep breath every once in a while when shiny things catch a ray of sunshine.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 04, 2006, 07:30:53 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 04, 2006, 07:26:03 AM

Jesus christ dude, stop this "so they can feel good about the 360" bullshit. Its inflammatory, its an ad-hominem, and its stupid. If I wanted a PS3, I could have one. So could many here. I don't yet. I will get one in a year or so, maybe 6 6 months. I DO NOT need to feel good about the 360. I already do, with several million friends. THe games and hardware speak for themselves. You are entirely missing the point and your braggadacio is reaching the heights of absurdity by claiming people daring to discuss the possible flaws in the PS3 and its launch is due to jealousy and ego. If anything, you appear as if you need to justify yourself. God man, take a deep breath every once in a while when shiny things catch a ray of sunshine.
+1.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: December 04, 2006, 01:27:56 PM »

And we are done here.   deadhorse locked

Ron Burke
Gamertag: