http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 05:40:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resistance vs Gears of War - FIGHT!  (Read 9816 times)
Mattc0m
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2006, 03:38:10 PM »

So there is a $100 PS3 without a Blu Ray? :icon_eek:

I'd buy it.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2006, 04:56:45 PM »

Looks like Sony spoke too soon on fixing the scaling issue thru a firmware update,

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/news/?id=14518

Sony has contacted us to let us know that they may have spoken a bit prematurely. SCEA's Dave Karraker, Sr. Director, Corporate Communications, informed GameDaily BIZ that they currently cannot confirm that this 1080i issue will be resolved via a firmware patch. The official line is now that they are "looking into the issue and haven't stated any actions that will be taken regarding it."

Oh well......

« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 06:46:17 PM by tripwire » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2006, 07:06:51 PM »

Resistance: Fall of Man review from GT goes up tomorrow.  Gears of War to follow.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2006, 10:02:25 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey
You got all of that from a Best Buy kiosk?

You can't get that kind of impression of a game from playing two or three levels?

I'd say pretty much everything I said is obvious within 10 minutes of play.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2006, 11:43:58 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on November 25, 2006, 10:02:25 PM

You can't get that kind of impression of a game from playing two or three levels?

lol, 10 minutes?  you make final judgments of all games after 10 minutes of play, are you f'in kidding me?  or am I misunderstanding you
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2006, 12:51:40 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on November 25, 2006, 10:02:25 PM

icon_lol

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2006, 02:49:24 AM »

I'm sorry you guys can't spot idiotic AI and mediocre visuals within a few minutes. It's all right there on the screen.

Go play it.

Quote from: KePoW
lol, 10 minutes?  you make final judgments of all games after 10 minutes of play, are you f'in kidding me?  or am I misunderstanding you

Games as completely weak and rushed as Resistance?

Yes.

It's Killzone all over again. Tons of hype for a completely mediocre game experience. I'm sure the PS3 will have tons of titles that more than live up to their hype and reviews. It may not even take very long for a game like that to show up... but Resistance is not one of those games.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 03:13:41 AM by Thin_J » Logged

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2006, 03:30:57 AM »

Right, which is why the average review score is almost 90% (89.2% to be exact)

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/928399.asp

Wow, the game must totally SUCK!

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2006, 05:11:19 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 26, 2006, 03:30:57 AM

don't bother Hetz, professional reviewers actually have to play through the entire game before making their final judgment
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2006, 01:37:39 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 26, 2006, 05:11:19 AM

don't bother Hetz, professional reviewers actually have to play through the entire game before making their final judgment

hahahaha..... oh that was good.... a professional reviewer actually playing the game through.  Just like most reviewers actually bothered to play chromehounds multiplayer before reviewing it, or Enchanted Arms for more than an hour (since they never got to the point to find out Makato is a temporary character, yet they dock the game as if he is permanent since they didn't play long enough to find out for sure...).
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2006, 03:00:30 PM »

Well i got GoW in a trade and played about 3 hours yesterday.  But my question is........am i missing something?  All this hype and it really seems like every other shooter i have played.  Ya the graphics are incredible...but the story so far is your typical alien invasion and kill/move....kill/move gameplay.  I do like the cover system, but other than that i'm not getting it.  Does it get to be something more after a couple more hours or is this it? 

I wasn't expecting anything revolutionary, but i was expecting something "different".  With all the hype i thought i'd start it up and become in awe, which i haven't thus far.  What am i missing?  Is the hype because of the graphics?

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2006, 03:14:47 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on November 26, 2006, 03:00:30 PM

I wasn't expecting anything revolutionary, but i was expecting something "different".  With all the hype i thought i'd start it up and become in awe, which i haven't thus far.  What am i missing?  Is the hype because of the graphics?

Yeah pretty much.  It's the graphics, cover system, and later-on, some of the level design.  The drop-in co-op over live is also pretty cool.  I also like the 4 on 4 with the teammate revive/enemy finish off mechanic of the multiplayer.

But at the end of the day it is still a shooter.  I'm not sure if there is anything that would totally revolutionize shooters anymore. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2006, 03:16:39 PM »

Thank you Hetz!  I've been trying to remember the web address to that site for a month.   For some reason my links were cleared out and I couldn't remember it... completely drew a blank.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2006, 03:37:31 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on November 24, 2006, 04:39:45 AM

As I mentioned in a different thread, without a doubt Gears of War looks better than Resistence. I think it also plays better than Resistance. However, the variance between the two is not that significant. I think GoW has better art direction which tends to make the gap between the two seem larger than it really is. Also, consider this:

1) Insomniac, unlike Epic, does not specialize in first person shooters.
2) Overall there is more activity going on in Resistance at any one time.
3) Resistence runs smoothly at 1080P. <er...720P>

Insomniac managed to stay in the race with Epic, and that is no small accomplishment.

Well I have barely gotten anywhere in Resistance, but if the game is longer than the 6 hours it takes to beat Gears of War, then that's a plus right there.  I do think Gears of War is a technical masterpiece, but Epic should be ashamed of themselves to have released a game with this much hype that is so short. 
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2006, 03:43:46 PM »

Well, you can also look at my take on Resistance:

http://gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=7671

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2006, 03:59:28 PM »

LOL.  I saw that Gundam is sitting at 34%.  Actually that might be a little bit high from what I saw.

Gundam 34%
Untold Legends 57%
Genji 57%
Ridge Racer 77%

Resistance is truely the diamond in the pile of garbage that are the PS3 exclusives.  Since the Japaneese hate FPS's so much it makes me wonder why they would buy a launch PS3 at all.  If they could sell out in Japan that quickly I have to agree that Sony could box up turds and sell a million of them in Japan.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 04:02:51 PM by denoginizer » Logged

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2006, 04:01:10 PM »

Quote from: The_Man on November 26, 2006, 03:37:31 PM

Well I have barely gotten anywhere in Resistance, but if the game is longer than the 6 hours it takes to beat Gears of War, then that's a plus right there.  I do think Gears of War is a technical masterpiece, but Epic should be ashamed of themselves to have released a game with this much hype that is so short. 

6 hours ??? !!!

Good God man put down the Red Bull !!!

The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2006, 04:15:11 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 26, 2006, 04:01:10 PM

6 hours ??? !!!

LOL!, my son beat it in 5.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2006, 06:13:31 PM »

I find the blu ray player part of the system not worth mentioning.  Blu ray players aren't even needed right now for anything and by the time they are I suspect the prices will drop dramatically and the quality will increase just as dramatically.  Just like the vcr and dvd players did.  I can wait. 

But I do agree that the developers made the systems the way they are and there is nothing we can do about it.  I will have both systems someday for one reason and one reason only-and the ONLY reason to get a game system in my opinion-FOR THE GAMES!  And not because it bakes bread or mows my lawn.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2006, 06:22:40 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 26, 2006, 01:37:39 PM

hahahaha..... oh that was good.... a professional reviewer actually playing the game through.  Just like most reviewers actually bothered to play chromehounds multiplayer before reviewing it, or Enchanted Arms for more than an hour (since they never got to the point to find out Makato is a temporary character, yet they dock the game as if he is permanent since they didn't play long enough to find out for sure...).

lol, well at least the couple review sites that I read and trust do play through games, I'm not saying every random shitty site does

like for your examples, the places I read all said MP in Chromehounds was way better although they still docked the game for a terrible SP, which IMO is totally valid.  and as for Enchanted Arms, I honestly don't even recall them mentioning Makato.  the reasons it didn't get 9+'s from the places I read were due to other aspects of the game.  really, the people that complain the most about Makato are users on forums across the net.  lol, which shady review sites do you read, a bunch of them or what =P
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2006, 08:07:37 PM »

Quote from: The_Man on November 26, 2006, 04:15:11 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on November 26, 2006, 04:01:10 PM

6 hours ??? !!!

LOL!, my son beat it in 5.

Sure, playing on casual-which misses the point. Play on hardcore, entirely different experience, and there is no way in hell you can finish it in 5.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2006, 08:09:50 PM »

Insomniac managed to stay in the race with Epic, and that is no small accomplishment.

Hey, Blizzard had no MMO experience yet they came in and owned the genre slywink

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2006, 08:22:49 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 26, 2006, 03:59:28 PM

LOL.  I saw that Gundam is sitting at 34%.  Actually that might be a little bit high from what I saw.

Gundam 34%
Untold Legends 57%
Genji 57%
Ridge Racer 77%

Resistance is truely the diamond in the pile of garbage that are the PS3 exclusives.  Since the Japaneese hate FPS's so much it makes me wonder why they would buy a launch PS3 at all.  If they could sell out in Japan that quickly I have to agree that Sony could box up turds and sell a million of them in Japan.

Well, yes the exclusives are not all that great at launch....besides Resistance (I do like Untold Legends and Genji though....reviews be damned!). You have to remember though that the vast majority of PS2 owners do not own a Xbox 360, so you need to look at the total lineup of games.

When you add in these games:

Marvel Ultimate Alliance: 86% (which has a better average score than the 360 version!)
Call Of Duty 3: 81%
Tiger Woods 82%
NBA 2k7 - 82%

It makes for a much more impressive launch list.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2006, 08:53:06 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 26, 2006, 08:22:49 PM

You have to remember though that the vast majority of PS2 owners do not own a Xbox 360, so you need to look at the total lineup of games..

I'm not what your point is there?   Of course the cross platform games are available to everyone.  But as I see it you are choosing a PS3 over a 360 right now for the exclusives.

GoW, Dead Rising, GRAW, Gotham, Dead or Alive, Spliter Cell, Table Tennis, The Outfit, Condemned, etc.

VS

Resistance, Genji, Untold Legends, Gundam.

Yes the 360 has been out longer.  But I don't think alot of people in the market for a console care about that.  They care what is available right now.  I honestly don't see how anyone would pay more for a PS3 over a 360 this season.  I guess it doesn't matter anyway since there are no PS3's available.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2006, 09:34:10 PM »

Gundam 34%
Untold Legends 57%
Genji 57%
Ridge Racer 77%

Well, yes the exclusives are not all that great at launch....besides Resistance (I do like Untold Legends and Genji though....reviews be damned!). You have to remember though that the vast majority of PS2 owners do not own a Xbox 360, so you need to look at the total lineup of games.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance: 86% (which has a better average score than the 360 version!)
Tiger Woods 82%
NBA 2k7 - 82%

Yeah adding 4 games that are available on the 360 makes the PS3 launch look soooooooo much better.  Not to mention he said PS3 EXCLUSIVES. 

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2006, 09:54:18 PM »

Yes, because they get paid to play games regardless of whether the first few levels bore them beyond belief.

I on the other hand do not, and thus will choose what I like based on direct play impressions. You got my impressions of Resistance. You obviously don't agree with me and that's fine, but I don't go around pointing at your opinions and making jokes like you're a moron if I don't agree with you.

Again, my impressions stand.

And if you want a list of games that reviewed extremely well with high scores that most of the people around here found to be entirely mediocre I guarantee you we could come up with a fairly long one.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2006, 11:27:02 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on November 26, 2006, 09:54:18 PM

Yes, because they get paid to play games regardless of whether the first few levels bore them beyond belief.

I on the other hand do not, and thus will choose what I like based on direct play impressions. You got my impressions of Resistance. You obviously don't agree with me and that's fine, but I don't go around pointing at your opinions and making jokes like you're a moron if I don't agree with you.

Again, my impressions stand.

yes, your personal impressions do stand and you're free to post them, I'm not arguing that

however, any rational person wouldn't pay attention to them in this specific case, due to the fact that you only played 10 minutes.  wouldn't you agree that's fair to say
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2006, 11:40:00 PM »

however, any rational person wouldn't pay attention to them in this specific case

Yes, because a "rational opinion" on a game can't possibly be formed in a short time, regardless of circumstances. I don't imagine I need the rolleyes icon here to emphasize the sarcasm.

, due to the fact that you only played 10 minutes.  wouldn't you agree that's fair to say

No, I wouldn't. Firsthand impressions from people who have finished the game actually, as far as I can find, completely validate my opinion of the enemy AI. And I believe my other statement was on the graphics engine, which I said has unrealized potential. It manages to have a lot of action onscreen at once and play pretty smoothly. Bravo. But the art direction and overall visuals suck. If you can't look at a game for ten minutes and know whether you like how it looks or not then I don't know what to tell you.

Also, I believe the idea that I only played for ten minutes is a statement you manufactured all on your own. I said I played a couple of levels. I then stated that most of my opinions were (to me) pretty visible within ten minutes of gameplay. I played longer based on the chance that things might seem better with a little more time. Instead.. my initial opinion was proven the more I played.

Try reading a little more carefully next time and not putting words in my mouth.

The Sci Fi Call of Duty knockoff comment was simply a combination of the other observations. Nonexistent AI and over-praised visuals? Sounds like Call of Duty to me. I've heard Call of Duty compared to Wac-a-Mole set in WWII. It's not a comparison I'm willing to argue with. After playing Resistance it also seemed perfectly relevant given the "WWII... but with ALIENS!" setting of the game.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 11:49:43 PM by Thin_J » Logged

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 27, 2006, 12:52:50 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on November 26, 2006, 09:34:10 PM

Gundam 34%
Untold Legends 57%
Genji 57%
Ridge Racer 77%

Tiger Woods 82%
NBA 2k7 - 82%

Yeah adding 4 games that are available on the 360 makes the PS3 launch look soooooooo much better.  Not to mention he said PS3 EXCLUSIVES. 

Didn't you read my post? I said that most people don't have a 360, so it doesn't really matter if it's available on the 360 or not. It's a great launch lineup, made even better with an exclusive like Resistance.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2006, 01:05:38 AM »

Uh-oh GoW fans...

http://www.gamedaily.com/gears-of-war/xbox-360/game-features/4457?articleID=37835

Resistance wins the head to head comparison. Pretty amazing, considering that most people that have played the game for 10 minutes have said it is crap!  icon_smile

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2006, 01:18:28 AM »

Resistance wins the head to head comparison. Pretty amazing, considering that most people that have played the game for 10 minutes have said it is crap!
The winner is the one that sells the most copies.  Any other comparisons really don't matter.  Gears is pretty fun, but the story sucks, as well as a lot of the atmosphere and the Kryll. 

Pretty subjective writeup though on the comparison.  At least Gears does something fairly unique with the cover stuff.  Resistance looks like a great FPS, but just an FPS without much added.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 01:20:21 AM by Scott » Logged

---
XBox Live: ScottW
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2006, 01:21:32 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 27, 2006, 12:52:50 AM

Quote from: GatorFavre on November 26, 2006, 09:34:10 PM

Gundam 34%
Untold Legends 57%
Genji 57%
Ridge Racer 77%

Tiger Woods 82%
NBA 2k7 - 82%

Didn't you read my post? I said that most people don't have a 360, so it doesn't really matter if it's available on the 360 or not. It's a great launch lineup, made even better with an exclusive like Resistance.

Sorry, I was confused because you wrote most PS2 owners dont have a 360.  And the fact that you think because one magazine gave Resistance the same score as GoW and because one site said Resistance is better that the majority of people are wrong?  Your fanboyism changes like the fucking weather.  Its like you use this forum to somehow justify your PS3 purchase.  Like you need to post stuff like this to confirm that the PS3 is worth it.  I just dont get it.  Also, ripping someone because their impressions of a game dont match yours is immature horse shit.  The PS3 launch is clearly mediocre to average with no games over 90% on Gamerankings. 

EDIT:
That article on games daily(the authority of console gaming) is pretty weak IMO.  Oh well, arguing with a fanboy is like talking a red brick wall into changing colors.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 01:29:30 AM by GatorFavre » Logged

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2006, 01:28:38 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on November 27, 2006, 01:21:32 AM

Sorry, I was confused because you wrote most PS2 owners dont have a 360. 

I think he has a valid point GF. Yeah, if you have a 360, there's not a whole lot that's unique about the launch lineup. If you're a PS2 guy, though, and don't have a 360, the launch looks more interesting. Still, in that situation, I think it's fairly difficult to justify a PS3 purchase over 360. Even if you're interested in high def movies, 360 has that option these days and a more mature game library at this point in time. The chief reason to get a PS3 (vs 360) right now would be PS2 compatibility, but if you have a PS2 you probably don't need that (unless you're trading it in/selling it/giving it away). Backward compatibility being your best feature vs the competition doesn't seem to indicate a great release.

Still, regardless of your platform of choice, all 3 new systems have some great-looking titles, and that should be celebrated. The next few years are going to be a heck of a lot of fun.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2006, 01:30:38 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 27, 2006, 12:52:50 AM

I think it does matter to people who have neither a 360 or a PS3.  Especially if the game looks basically the same and the 360 is at least $100 less expensive.  Also I think you are the 1st person I have heard call the PS3 launch lineup "great."

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2006, 01:31:25 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 27, 2006, 01:05:38 AM

Uh-oh GoW fans...

http://www.gamedaily.com/gears-of-war/xbox-360/game-features/4457?articleID=37835

Resistance wins the head to head comparison. Pretty amazing, considering that most people that have played the game for 10 minutes have said it is crap!  icon_smile

What a tremendously arbitrary, subjective, silly, pointless-and completely useless comparison that was. Oh wow, I won't provide any objective facts but will claim one game is better based solely on my opinion! Come on now, thats just silly.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2006, 01:51:38 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 27, 2006, 01:31:25 AM

Uh-oh GoW fans...

What a tremendously arbitrary, subjective, silly, pointless-and completely useless comparison that was. Oh wow, I won't provide any objective facts but will claim one game is better based solely on my opinion! Come on now, thats just silly.

Not to mention we can all play this game...
Uh oh Resistance fans,
Gamespot gave GoW a better score, IGN gave GoW a better score, 1up gave GoW a better score, Gamespy gave GoW a better score, and so on and so forth. 

tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2006, 02:04:56 AM »

Uh-oh GoW fans...

It is silly, but the members of the SDF will be all over that.

They'll casually forget that gamerankings tells a whole different story, especially if you compare the scores from sites that reviewed BOTH games.

For many of them, it's simply not enough that the game is a very good FPS, it has to be better than Gears, it just has to.

I don't get it.

Just enjoy it for what it is, especially since RFOM is by far the best launch game for the PS3, and in many people's opinions, the only good game to launch with it.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2006, 02:09:25 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on November 27, 2006, 01:51:38 AM

Uh-oh GoW fans...

Not to mention we can all play this game...
Uh oh Resistance fans,
Gamespot gave GoW a better score, IGN gave GoW a better score, 1up gave GoW a better score, Gamespy gave GoW a better score, and so on and so forth. 

We all can? Everyone has a 360? Impressive!

I wonder though....how come the Xbox 360 is doing worse than the Xbox (sales wise) over the first 12 months of it's life? That doesn't seem to square with your claim that we can all play Gears of War.

*duh*

I just now realized that you were trying to be clever with your Gamespot gave this a better score stuff....nevermind.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 02:15:27 AM by Hetz » Logged

warning

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2006, 02:14:53 AM »

Uh-oh GoW fans...

AOL games  Part of AOL Entertainment

LOL

AND THE WINNER IS: Resistance: Fall of Man

Resistance wins the fight, but don't skip off to your favorite forum [Hetz did you read this far?] and rub it in everyone's faces. Like the Democrats, Sony's shooter barely pulled out a win.

Another LOL.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 02:17:57 AM by warning » Logged
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2006, 03:52:38 AM »

Quote from: warning on November 27, 2006, 02:14:53 AM

Uh-oh GoW fans...

AOL games  Part of AOL Entertainment

LOL

AND THE WINNER IS: Resistance: Fall of Man

Resistance wins the fight, but don't skip off to your favorite forum [Hetz did you read this far?] and rub it in everyone's faces. Like the Democrats, Sony's shooter barely pulled out a win.

Another LOL.

Yeah, I did....but I did it anyway.   Tongue

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: