http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 06:53:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resistance vs Gears of War - FIGHT!  (Read 9755 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2006, 05:36:44 PM »

Both games tied for Game of the Month honors in the latest Game informer magazine that I got today. They both recieved a 9.5.

What they say about Resistance:

Not only does the game look fantastic, it has perhaps the most on screen action I have ever seen in a first person shooter. Graphically, the game is simply stunning, and the online multiplayer options are outstanding with a surperbly implemented online tracking and ranking service.

Then Gears of War:

Gears of War is, without a doubt, the must play Xbox 360 title of 2006. I have some minor qualms with the single player game, but as a co-op or multiplayer game it's a treat unlike any other.

I have both and while graphically, I give the edge to Gears of War (not by much though), I give the overall edge to Resistance. Gears of War is too short and the multiplayer just isn't as fun as Resistance. I know most of you are big Xbox fans and will probabily come out swinging in Gears of Wars favor (though I bet 95% haven't even played Resistance)....but there ya have it.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 05:40:57 PM »

How quickly they turn.  icon_smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 05:45:42 PM »

Hetz, I think you might be the only person on this forum who has Resistance so I can't imagine that this discussion has anywhere to go. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 05:46:35 PM »

I've played both, and each is a very solid title. However:

Gears of War > Resistance

<edit> I'm not big into multiplayer, so that may slant my vote.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 05:48:42 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 05:47:10 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on November 22, 2006, 05:40:57 PM

Gears of War is still a great game....I'm just a little tired of all the pilling on the PS3 that is seeming to be in vogue now. Just pointing out that there is a very good game out now for the system that you can't get anywhere else.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 05:54:53 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 22, 2006, 05:45:42 PM

Hetz, I think you might be the only person on this forum who has Resistance so I can't imagine that this discussion has anywhere to go. 
Yup.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 05:59:35 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on November 22, 2006, 05:46:35 PM

I've played both, and each is a very solid title. However:

Gears of War > Resistance

<edit> I'm not big into multiplayer, so that may slant my vote.

How much of Resistance?  30 minutes or so at a friends house or a substantial portion?  I only ask because from what I've read it gets much better as it goes along with increasingly better level design and the possibilities of the weapons open up.  Which isn't to say that Gears isn't better (it probably is), although that was another title that I thought had a very meh first act but really kicked into high gear after that. 

I don't know, I guess I appreciate Hetz trying to bring some attention to Resistance, which by almost all accounts is a really good game, but a thread like this just feels like it's going to invite lots of "I saw it for a brief time, wasn't impressed, Gears is the best ever, 360 for life, Sony sux.." and just fuel fanboy wars which I personally can't stand (not that you were doing anything of the sort in your post).

And part of me just kinds of wishes that Resistance hadn't become *the* premiere title of launch and consequence tarnished by all of Sony's screw ups.  This is Insomniac and it's hard to find a more beloved series than Ratchet & Clank and it bothers me that they really got their chance for the spotlight only to become a target for failings from Sony that had nothing to do with them. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 06:12:56 PM »

I'd love to play Resistance.  I played it for about 15 minutes at a demo station and I liked the little bit I have played.  When I eventually get a PS3 it will be one of the first games I play.  However I can say that I like the concept of a tightly focused 4 on 4 mutiplayer of GoW better than chaotic 40 on 40. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 06:20:12 PM »

One doesn't have to be pitted against the other in order to declare SUPREME CONSOLE DOMINANCE. It's okay to love both games and both systems.  thumbsup
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 06:25:03 PM »

I played Resistance twice at a friend's home for a total of about 3, maybe 4 hours. I believe there are 30 or 31 levels, so I'm estimating that I got through about 25% of the game.

I'm about as far away from being a fanboy as you can be. I own all pevious gen consoles, and I'll end up in the same situation with this generation.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 06:27:55 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 06:44:14 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 22, 2006, 05:59:35 PM

And part of me just kinds of wishes that Resistance hadn't become *the* premiere title of launch and consequence tarnished by all of Sony's screw ups.  This is Insomniac and it's hard to find a more beloved series than Ratchet & Clank and it bothers me that they really got their chance for the spotlight only to become a target for failings from Sony that had nothing to do with them. 

But they said "sure" to Sony's dumptruck full of money for exclusive rights, no? If they make it non-exclusive, they might just have a shot at a bigger exposure.

It bothers me that Insomniac hasn't made any games for the Xbox platforms, with exception to Spyro.

Resistance = GoW? GameRankings.com doesn't think so. 89.2% vs 94.8% respectively.

I am assuming this is coming from media outlets that would be lambasted for showing such system preference. I could be wrong on that; I'm just providing a different perspective. As to my own interests in this, I do hope Resistance is worth it. At some point I may pick up a PS3 (after at least 1 price drop), so it is to my benefit.

Hetz, as to your "unbiased" opinion, you dropped the 360 fanfare pretty quick. You were pretty pumped about it last year. Does the PS3 really smoke the 360 on all counts? I'm no Sony hater; I play on their hardware (KV-30HS510 IIRC, or 420.. the one with the beveled bottom and the memory card slot). I just couldn't be bothered with the PS2 for its dated graphics and full-price games. (not to say gameplay isn't important, however I get equivelant value from my MS platform and PC gaming)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 07:08:18 PM »

I haven't played Resistance yet but I think GoW is just an average FPS.  The single player game has no variety.  Here I am nearing the end of the game and I'm still using the same tactics and gun I used at the start of the game.  If there is a story, I'm still looking for it. 

From what I've read about Resistance, it sounds like it is more my kind of FPS (variety of weapons being one reason).
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 07:23:37 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 22, 2006, 06:44:14 PM

But they said "sure" to Sony's dumptruck full of money for exclusive rights, no? If they make it non-exclusive, they might just have a shot at a bigger exposure.

It bothers me that Insomniac hasn't made any games for the Xbox platforms, with exception to Spyro.

Insomniac has never made a game for anyone but Sony.  They only did the first three Playstation 1 Spyro games.  All Spyro games since then have been made by someone else. 
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 07:31:17 PM »

Quote from: skystride on November 22, 2006, 07:08:18 PM

I haven't played Resistance yet but I think GoW is just an average FPS.  The single player game has no variety.  Here I am nearing the end of the game and I'm still using the same tactics and gun I used at the start of the game.  If there is a story, I'm still looking for it. 

From what I've read about Resistance, it sounds like it is more my kind of FPS (variety of weapons being one reason).
Buh...?

Resistance = generic FPS (run & gun).  GoW = cover-based FPS.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 07:46:20 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 22, 2006, 07:31:17 PM

Buh...?

yeah, maybe running and gunning is the exact type of FPS he likes?  I know that's certainly the case with me...I got seriously tired of the whole cover-and-shoot gameplay of GoW, which is basically the entire way through.  just because it's more realistic doesn't make it more fun at all.  give me the FPS where you have to be running and circle-strafing around, and have lightning-quick reflexes to aim and kill fast moving enemies

awesome graphics and production values though, any 360 owner with a HDTV should still buy it
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 07:55:32 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on November 22, 2006, 06:20:12 PM

One doesn't have to be pitted against the other in order to declare SUPREME CONSOLE DOMINANCE. It's okay to love both games and both systems.  thumbsup

Your logic and reason has no place here.

Honestly, I am console agnostic (well, I do have some bias for Nintendo) in that I own MS, Sony, and Nintendo systems, but even I am finding a great deal of fuel to burn the Sony-bashing fire.  These guys have just become incompetent, arrogant asses as of late and though I love my PS2, their attitude as of late has really turned me off from the PS3.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 07:58:23 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 22, 2006, 06:44:14 PM

I just couldn't be bothered with the PS2 for its dated graphics and full-price games. (not to say gameplay isn't important, however I get equivelant value from my MS platform and PC gaming)

what do you mean by that, dated graphics and full-price games back at PS2's launch?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 08:42:34 PM »

No, I wasn't a console convert until Halo came out (avidly waited for that while it was still a PC FPS game).

I had rented a PS2 right at launch and found nothing worthy. I got an HDTV, and a year or so later I picked up Halo & Xbox (at launch) and didn't have money for a PS2. The idea of paying full price for games for the PS2 that were so visibly inferior (with exception given to maybe 4-5 titles) to the Xbox kept me away from it. 95% of all cross-platform games from last-gen were superior on the xbox (except the godawful release of NFS:HP2) so there was only console exclusives that would have had me going to the PS2.

I played a few JRPGs on my buddies PS2 (borrowed it for 2-3 months) and some of their platformers, but I ultimately couldn't be bothered. I eventually got a Cube as well (15bux used !!) and so I had 2 of the 3 kingdoms covered and that carried me through to the 360 release.

Right now I have a 360, PC and may end up having a Wii after tax-time. I may even go for a PS3 in the future; I'm in no rush though. As I see it, the Wii is less than the 360, but the cost reflects this.

As to the topic at hand, GoW's perspective is awesome; it overcomes the lack of peripheral vision that FPS's usually have.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 08:44:17 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 09:14:15 PM »

I am glad to hear that Resistance is as good as it is.  Some day when the price of the PS3 is sensible I will gladly pick it up and Resistance will be among my first to play. 

I gotta say that of the last generation my favorite games were on the PS2 but I happily bought and enjoyed all there was to enjoy on all 3.  I can see me definitely doing the 360 and PS3, but the Wii has shown me nada so far.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 09:53:16 PM »

thumbsup Seriously, just starting these threads is usually looking for a fight.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 09:58:29 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 22, 2006, 09:53:16 PM

thumbsup Seriously, just starting these threads is usually looking for a fight.

The point to it would be to determine (ultimately) which platform is worth it right now, as these two titles are considered "system sellers".

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2006, 10:20:51 PM »

I thought the same thing. I guess the Playstation force turned him. Tongue

I played about 15 minutes of Resistance at Best Buy today and I didn't think it looked all that great. The levels seemed a bit bland (not like Chromehounds bland) and while its just my opinion, neither the levels, or the game, can hold a candle to what Gears of War is giving me. Gears of War is bar none the best looking console game ever, nothing else (at this point) is close. Resistance seemed fun though, but I would probably rank it below GoW and FEAR.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 10:25:24 PM by jblank » Logged

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2006, 10:23:41 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 22, 2006, 05:47:10 PM

Gears of War is still a great game....I'm just a little tired of all the pilling on the PS3 that is seeming to be in vogue now. Just pointing out that there is a very good game out now for the system that you can't get anywhere else.

Piling on? saywhat Hetz, the system hasn't exactly had a stellar launch, and the games aren't really earth shatteringly awesome, but I don't see anyone piling on. The 360 just has a huge advantage right now, and the consensus is the PS3 just is a bit underwhelming right now. Thats not really piling on and I don't recall seeing anyone say its doomed or anything, but for what it costs, versus what it gives as far as performance goes, its just, well, overpriced? underperforming? It will improve though.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 10:27:56 PM »

Blasphemy! mad :slywink:

Between GoW and FEAR, my interest in FPS is at an all time high. I credit these games, both of which are incredible in my opinion, for rejuvenating what thought was becoming a stagnant, played out genre. Strongly disagree with your summations of GoW. STRONGLY.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006, 10:32:15 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 22, 2006, 07:46:20 PM

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 22, 2006, 07:31:17 PM

Buh...?

yeah, maybe running and gunning is the exact type of FPS he likes?  I know that's certainly the case with me...I got seriously tired of the whole cover-and-shoot gameplay of GoW, which is basically the entire way through.  just because it's more realistic doesn't make it more fun at all.  give me the FPS where you have to be running and circle-strafing around, and have lightning-quick reflexes to aim and kill fast moving enemies

awesome graphics and production values though, any 360 owner with a HDTV should still buy it

Uggh, thats all of them though. Thats what wore me out on FPS, same old same old, strafe, scoot, circle, repeat and wash, etc, etc. GoW, with the cover, with the immersion, finally gave us, in my opinion, a FPS with a single player game that was worth a crap. Quake 4? Blah. Doom 3? A letdown. Gears of War? Finally, interesting single player. If anything its UNDERRATED as far as its place in FPS goes.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2006, 10:44:38 PM »

Quote from: jblank on November 22, 2006, 10:32:15 PM

Uggh, thats all of them though. Thats what wore me out on FPS, same old same old, strafe, scoot, circle, repeat and wash, etc, etc. GoW, with the cover, with the immersion, finally gave us, in my opinion, a FPS with a single player game that was worth a crap. Quake 4? Blah. Doom 3? A letdown. Gears of War? Finally, interesting single player. If anything its UNDERRATED as far as its place in FPS goes.

dude, the cover mechanic/tactic would have been cool if GoW used it in certain spots of the game, but not when it's the vast majority of the game...that just gets boring as all hell.  Quake 4 is one of my favorite FPSes from this year.  Doom 3 was a letdown though, I'll definitely agree with you there

in your other reply you criticized Resistance for having bland levels, and turn around and say FEAR was awesome?!  that seriously does not compute, everyone knows FEAR's one major downfall was its retarded boring office levels
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2006, 10:51:22 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 22, 2006, 10:44:38 PM

dude, the cover mechanic/tactic would have been cool if GoW used it in certain spots of the game, but not when it's the vast majority of the game...that just gets boring as all hell.  Quake 4 is one of my favorite FPSes from this year.  Doom 3 was a letdown though, I'll definitely agree with you there

in your other reply you criticized Resistance for having bland levels, and turn around and say FEAR was awesome?!  that seriously does not compute, everyone knows FEAR's one major downfall was its retarded boring office levels

I think you need to read what I said about FEAR again. I never praised FEAR for having awesome looking levels, I credited it with being an overall better game than Resistance (from a first impressions standpoint), and I said that along with GoW, it helped rejuvenate my interest in the genre. I also said I would rank Resistance below GoW and FEAR (probably CoD 3 also), but that was the game, not the level design.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2006, 03:09:18 AM »

Quote from: jblank on November 22, 2006, 10:51:22 PM

Quote from: KePoW on November 22, 2006, 10:44:38 PM

I think you need to read what I said about FEAR again. I never praised FEAR for having awesome looking levels, I credited it with being an overall better game than Resistance (from a first impressions standpoint), and I said that along with GoW, it helped rejuvenate my interest in the genre. I also said I would rank Resistance below GoW and FEAR (probably CoD 3 also), but that was the game, not the level design.
I am one of the few that absolutley loved FEAR on the PC-I think it was underrated and the knocks the level design kind of missed the point.
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2006, 03:23:57 AM »

The graphics comparison, 'not by much though', was the best part.  icon_lol
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2006, 12:47:03 PM »

Quote from: tripwire on November 23, 2006, 03:23:57 AM

Gears of War really isn't all that much better looking. I'm not the only one that thinks that either. Both games look fantastic and I would give the edge to GoW, but not by much.

What is so funny about that?

tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2006, 02:10:21 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 23, 2006, 12:47:03 PM

Quote from: tripwire on November 23, 2006, 03:23:57 AM

Gears of War really isn't all that much better looking. I'm not the only one that thinks that either. Both games look fantastic and I would give the edge to GoW, but not by much.

What is so funny about that?

Hey, you're enjoying the game, and that's all that matters. thumbsup

Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2006, 02:59:07 PM »

give me the FPS where you have to be running and circle-strafing around, and have lightning-quick reflexes to aim and kill fast moving enemies

On an console? No thanks. Reflex shooters are just too difficult with the console's control limitations (ie: it's no mouse). Counter-Strike, Deus Ex, and Half-Life are all perfect examples.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2006, 03:21:43 PM »

Now I have both as well.  I'd have to say the co-op in GoW makes it pretty awesome for me.  I can't recall if Resistance has this or not, but I know for damned sure there are 1000x more people I can play GoW with.  That makes it better in my opinion.

When you gonna accept my friend invite on the PS3 Hetz?  Huh? huh?! slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2006, 05:06:19 PM »

Quote from: Mattc0m on November 23, 2006, 02:59:07 PM

give me the FPS where you have to be running and circle-strafing around, and have lightning-quick reflexes to aim and kill fast moving enemies

On an console? No thanks. Reflex shooters are just too difficult with the console's control limitations (ie: it's no mouse). Counter-Strike, Deus Ex, and Half-Life are all perfect examples.

true that, very good point.  but I was just talking about FPSes in general, I don't play many console FPSes because of this very reason.  mouse+KB will always reign supreme
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2006, 05:11:44 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 23, 2006, 03:21:43 PM

Now I have both as well.  I'd have to say the co-op in GoW makes it pretty awesome for me.  I can't recall if Resistance has this or not, but I know for damned sure there are 1000x more people I can play GoW with.  That makes it better in my opinion.

I don't have the system or game, but I read that Resistance does have same-screen co-op play, just not online.  

As for which game is better, hell if I know.  There is certainly room for improvement in Gears of War (story, length, more weapons, etc) but in the end it's a lot of fun.  I'm sure Resistance is pretty awesome, too.  I say smoke 'em if you go 'em!  icon_biggrin

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2006, 06:33:20 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 23, 2006, 05:06:19 PM

Quote from: Mattc0m on November 23, 2006, 02:59:07 PM

true that, very good point.  but I was just talking about FPSes in general, I don't play many console FPSes because of this very reason.  mouse+KB will always reign supreme

Given a little time, I think the Wii will be able to give mouse+kb a run for their money.

Mario FPS FTW

*ducks*

Ruining language with my terrible words.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2006, 08:02:28 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 23, 2006, 06:33:20 PM

Given a little time, I think the Wii will be able to give mouse+kb a run for their money.

lo, I doubt it but I'm open-minded enough to wait and see on that.  what I can say for certain, right now, is that Red Steel and CoD3 for the Wii do not control near as well as a mouse+KB

what I'm really curious about is the rumors of a new controller Microsoft is developing for the 360, that speculation has as a trackball-type thing in place of the right analog stick.  along with some other ergonomic changes too I'm sure.  that sounds like it has a lot of promise...it won't be 100% as effective as a mouse+KB on the PC, but if they do it right I think it could be 90-95% as good and be a huge improvement for FPSes.  whereas now with the standard dual analog schemes of both the PS and Xbox, it's only about 50% as good
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2006, 09:07:42 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 23, 2006, 08:02:28 PM

lo, I doubt it but I'm open-minded enough to wait and see on that.  what I can say for certain, right now, is that Red Steel and CoD3 for the Wii do not control near as well as a mouse+KB

I've heard the same thing. I don't like that they are trying to put aiming and turning on the same function...that is aim within an invisible box and move outside the box to turn. Pardon the pun but that's not thinking outside the box. I mentioned this on Qt3, but what if instead, you used the analog stick to move forward/back and to turn, and they put strafing on rotation around the z-axis of the wiimote (between you and the screen). So you'd roll the controller to strafe. The idea is to have aiming the pointer be used only for aiming your reticle. That's just one idea, and there are tons of other things you could do.

There's no reason that aiming with the wiimote shouldn't be as good or better than using a mouse, once they get the hang of how to incorporate deadzones and other fne details.  One interesting thing I read about Marvel for Wii is that you have to practice some of the motions for triggering superpowers before you start. I'm curious as to whether the game is recording or "learning" the motions when you do that. If users can, in effect, program controller motions from their end, I think that could have a lot of potential.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2006, 10:36:02 PM »

That's ludicrous. GoW destroys Resistance, someone post some side by side comparisons please.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2006, 11:57:27 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 23, 2006, 03:21:43 PM

I did last night!  icon_smile

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: