http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 02:17:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resistance Retribution is awesome  (Read 1461 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2008, 07:33:23 PM »

At least thats what PSPfanboy thinks.

http://www.pspfanboy.com/2008/07/21/confirmed-resistance-retribution-is-awesome/

Since Ive never played a Resistance game I dont know if this one follows the story of another one or what. But the graphics do look great. Gives the Syphon Filter games a run for their money.

After seeing that mech type walker there in those shots Im wondering when a Mechwarrior game might come to the PSP. I think the Mechcommander ones would be a great fit.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 07:40:18 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 08:25:09 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 22, 2008, 07:33:23 PM

At least thats what PSPfanboy thinks.

http://www.pspfanboy.com/2008/07/21/confirmed-resistance-retribution-is-awesome/

Since Ive never played a Resistance game I dont know if this one follows the story of another one or what. But the graphics do look great. Gives the Syphon Filter games a run for their money.

After seeing that mech type walker there in those shots Im wondering when a Mechwarrior game might come to the PSP. I think the Mechcommander ones would be a great fit.

sadly, i think the prospects for a proper mechwarrior game on an ms platform is pretty much nil, so you can imagine what chance a sony owned console has. 

we mech fans have to make the best with knockoffs. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 10:30:08 PM »

I've tried to play shooter type games on the PSP and it just doesn't work for me. Why Sony..why did you not put a second analog control on the friggin PSP...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 11:20:01 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on July 22, 2008, 10:30:08 PM

I've tried to play shooter type games on the PSP and it just doesn't work for me. Why Sony..why did you not put a second analog control on the friggin PSP...

Yeah, but Sony Bend seems to do as good a job as anyone at making a manageable control scheme (Syphon Filter games) and since they're also making Resistance I'm hopeful it will work well. 
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 03:33:09 AM »

I played that and while it was an okay control scheme(in the context of limitations of the PSP) it still wasn't great. Also Syphon was a slower game most of the time than your usual action/FPS title so the limitations were more manageable.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 03:50:42 AM »

The next PSP should really have a 2nd nub and a touch screen.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 03:52:02 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on July 23, 2008, 03:33:09 AM

I played that and while it was an okay control scheme(in the context of limitations of the PSP) it still wasn't great. Also Syphon was a slower game most of the time than your usual action/FPS title so the limitations were more manageable.

yeah, i couldn't get into the syphon controls, either (& this from someone who enjoyed monster hunter & r&c:sm). hoping the fact that it's a game i'd really like to play helps...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Rhiz8
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 04:06:15 AM »

I got frustrated with the Syphon controls as well, but I really liked the games. I'd recommend trying them on the PS2, glad they released them there.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 05:54:09 AM »

They've got a better setup this time around from what I hear.

Alongside a normal crosshair to aim, there's also a auto lock on box, you can switch between the two at any time.  Just put a target inside the box and it'll automatically track and aim at it, much like, say, armored core 2.  However, when you need precision, you can press the left dpad to go into the normal aiming mode.

There's also a cover sticking mechanic.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 09:14:11 AM »

It's hard for me to take anything seriously from a website called pspfanboy. 

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 09:25:38 AM »

It's based off the Joystiq site, all the PS3/Xbox/Wii/DS/etc... Fanboy sites do is separate the news per console.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 05:38:03 PM »

for those of you frustrated with the controls in syphon filter, did you play using the analog to move or to shoot?  after i got over the mental programming and used the analog for shooting and the face buttons for movement, i found the gameplay so much fun.  they improved on the basics in the sequel by adding blind fire and softer auto lock, so if you hesitated to try it based on dark mirror, i'd tell you to try the demo for logan's shadow with the goofy foot controls. 

they were both great games and a good extension of the ps1 gameplay.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 05:53:35 PM »

I got some hands on time.  My initial thought was that I was impressed.   It is the only streaming world that I've seen work really well.  The environments were pretty big for a third person shooter.  I could see it doing well.  The load times were pretty low too.  I'll have a full writeup when I can go through my notes again.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 07:41:12 PM »

What I wonder if why Sony insists on showing these PSP games with such crappy framerates in their videos.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 05:07:29 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7FWp0A9sAo

A video. I still want this .

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 05:13:32 AM »

Enjoyed the demo, looking forward to the release so I can use the dualshock and play on the tv Tongue

TheMissingLink on PSN
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 05:18:00 AM »

They wouldn't give me demo access unless I pre ordered the game. I dont buy new games.. I wait till they drop in price or I can find them used. So no demo for me. I find that kinda silly. People who are pre ordering dont need a demo..and it might change their minds possibly..but those of us unsure or never hearing of the game need a demo..uhh thats why there are demos to begin with. Silly company.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 02:31:51 PM »

+12 on the second analog nub. There was a good review in one of the magazines a while back where the reviewer saying he wishes he could meet the person who made the decision to only have one analog stick so he could punch him in the face. (Was a review for Battlefront II I think)

Could never get used to Syphon Filter either. I tried to like it but going online I kept getting slaugthered. Not having a second analog stick to work with was just too difficult to work with. (Though I never even gave switching it around as mentioned a thought.) And since Syphon Filter lacks bots, I traded it off 3 days after getting it.

SOCOM on the other hand, managed to a decent job with the PSP. Analog nub to move around and right trigger to lock on to other players. Then x to fire on them. You never really needed to look up / look down (although it was certainly there) the auto-lock-on target was enough. Cant remember how much time I wasted online with the original SOCOM for PSP. That game alone is tempting me to buy a PSP again. Its just too bad we have so few games to look forward to in the coming year.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: