http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 10:17:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resistance 2 revealed (8 player co-op, 60 player multiplayer)  (Read 15474 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2008, 09:49:36 PM »

I was just surprised at the frenzied tone of the original person posting the information (from NeoCrap) mostly, I didn't realize we had such a fanatical group of Sony activists at GT.

And yes, I put my time in with Resistance around when the PS3 launched and nothing about it stood out to me so I have the right to deem it an average game.

*After Edit*

Which doesn't mean I'm not excited about the new features in Resistance 2 slywink
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 09:56:42 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2008, 09:52:01 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 11, 2008, 09:49:36 PM

I didn't realize we had such a fanatical group of Sony activists at GT.

Ridah, let me introduce you to TML and Depward.  Clearly you guys have not yet met...

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2008, 09:53:47 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 11, 2008, 09:49:31 PM

I'm sure they will both be amazing.

I'm expecting spectacular results from both.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2008, 10:02:02 PM »

It's a shame that those of us who are genuinely excited about Resistance 2 (and don't troll other threads) have to wade through all this shit to see if any new information has been posted.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2008, 10:38:52 PM »

The matter of the fact is:  Resistance was a stellar game (according to the game reviewers and not Ridah) and it'll only be improved upon come Resistance 2 in Fall of 2008.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 10:41:02 PM by depward » Logged

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2008, 10:52:50 PM »

It's pretty clear that there's been a lot of code sharing between the first party Sony developers.  That lighting is probably using similar algorithms to Killzone 2.

Everything is more detailed, however the art design was already pretty good so the detail just added polys and extra lighting, so it's not quite as striking a change.

Also I suspect those are the more mundane locales and basic enemies.

I really hope they fix the issues with taking cover in Resistance 1.  There was something with the hotboxes where you couldn't properly crouch behind half-height cover like sandbags and such.  I don't want to see a stick to cover mechanic, R1 just isn't that kind of game, but just make sure that if you're properly crouching behind a low wall and can't see the enemy, that the enemy shouldn't be able to hit you over that cover.

I do like the amazing big battles they had in the campaign, too bad most of the human troops died by the end of those fights.

Overall, the main reason why I didn't like Resistance as much as I could have was it was more a run-and-gun style shooter, I don't like those, and the story could have used more work.  Hale wasn't much of a character.  I did like the British woman though, but then again I have a thing for British girls.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2008, 11:16:23 PM »

Quote from: depward on January 11, 2008, 10:38:52 PM

The matter of the fact is:  Resistance was a stellar game (according to the game reviewers and not Ridah) and it'll only be improved upon come Resistance 2 in Fall of 2008.

Right, because video game reviewers are known for their integrity.

Sean Lama
depward

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2008, 11:23:28 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 11, 2008, 11:16:23 PM

Quote from: depward on January 11, 2008, 10:38:52 PM

Right, because video game reviewers are known for their integrity.

Let's not get into this again - the average reviewer score was 87%, which is awesome.  You didn't like it.  I simply noted the fact that you noted earlier that you didn't like it.  If anything, I thought you'd be happy about me clarifying that you didn't like it and lump you with "everyone thought resistance was a stellar game," hence the parentheses section was made.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2008, 11:44:28 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 11, 2008, 09:52:01 PM

Ridah, let me introduce you to TML and Depward.  Clearly you guys have not yet met...

lol yeah, isn't that the truth

I'm starting to take every post by TML and depward with a grain of salt, because it seems like every single thing from them is championing a point for the PS3...I don't know what their deal is with that.  and TML/depward, don't even call me anti-PS3...you know I have one cause I'm on both of your friends' lists.  just the other night, I saw TML's PSN profile comment said "PS3 WILL OWN 2008!!"...in caps just like that haha.  if that's not being a fanboy, I dunno what is

back on topic...I loved R1, so I'm sure R2 will be great as long as there are no bandwidth issues.  I already thought the graphics in R1 (latter half of the game and alien levels) were awesome, so I don't really see much difference in R2's graphics.  they will be great regardless, even if it's a minor upgrade
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2008, 11:49:48 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on January 11, 2008, 11:44:28 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on January 11, 2008, 09:52:01 PM

lol yeah, isn't that the truth

I'm starting to take every post by TML and depward with a grain of salt, because it seems like every single thing from them is championing a point for the PS3...I don't know what their deal is with that. great regardless, even if it's a minor upgrade

Not to mention Dep's new avatar which is the dude from the cover eating a 360 and Wii! I thought it was an albino penis in his mouth at first until I zoomed in. You should find a pic where if you look closely it's an Xbox 360 with the RRoD slywink

Nah but I have no problem with Dep or TML being avid Sony fans, it makes for some fun debates as long as we don't resort to personal insults  unibrow

Sean Lama
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2008, 11:52:40 PM »

IN!!

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2008, 12:20:03 AM »

What motives would I have other then be really excited about this upcoming year?  Sorry for proclaiming that PS3 will own 2008...as my PSN profile comment.  It's exciting!  It's not like I'm displaying it on my Xbox 360 profile - that would be fanboy-ish and uncalled for.

Eight-player co-op is a pretty large party.  They're really going to have to throw a bunch of chimera at us to keep things difficult...

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2008, 12:50:46 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on January 11, 2008, 11:44:28 PM

...and TML/depward, don't even call me anti-PS3...you know I have one cause I'm on both of your friends' lists.  just the other night, I saw TML's PSN profile comment said "PS3 WILL OWN 2008!!"...in caps just like that haha.  if that's not being a fanboy, I dunno what is

Why would I?  I don't understand.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2008, 01:08:20 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 12, 2008, 12:20:03 AM

What motives would I have other then be really excited about this upcoming year?  Sorry for proclaiming that PS3 will own 2008...as my PSN profile comment.  It's exciting!  It's not like I'm displaying it on my Xbox 360 profile - that would be fanboy-ish and uncalled for.

if I didn't know both of you have long posting histories on GT/OO/GG, I would have seriously thought that yall were Sony shills...that's really how all of yall's posts from the past few months sound like

they just read like straight out of Sony marketing PR press blurbs.  like I said though, you have been around a while and I don't literally think that's the case...just sounds like it from an impressionable standpoint
depward

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2008, 01:17:38 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on January 12, 2008, 01:08:20 AM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 12, 2008, 12:20:03 AM

if I didn't know both of you have long posting histories on GT/OO/GG, I would have seriously thought that yall were Sony shills...that's really how all of yall's posts from the past few months sound like

they just read like straight out of Sony marketing PR press blurbs.  like I said though, you have been around a while and I don't literally think that's the case...just sounds like it from an impressionable standpoint

Gotcha.  I suppose you've just selectively filtering out any posts I write about looking forward to No More Heroes or SSBM and how much I like playing the Wii or about any games I've been recently playing on my 360.

Anyway, I'm going to play some Resistance co-op this weekend.  And a note to any DS3 importers - Resistance has been patched with rumble, so that's always fun.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2008, 01:23:10 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 11, 2008, 09:14:13 PM

Resistance 1:

Oh wow, I hope they learned what Anisotropic Filtering is for Resistance 2! icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2008, 01:34:48 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 11, 2008, 09:14:13 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on January 11, 2008, 08:02:41 PM

The pictures look....just like Resistance FOM.

Since we're playing that game, we'll play the "let's take a look at screenshots from the first game in the series and compare."

Resistance 1:

Resistance 2:

I'm hoping the grainy look in the R2 shot is just from a bad scan.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2008, 01:35:38 AM »

Hehe, let's hope so!

Apparently, huge landscapes of popular American monuments are planned for Resistance 2 (just take a look at the cover to see one).  That'll be pretty cool - out of England, TO AMERICA!

I want more weather effects, though.  The snow in the first Resistance looked fantastic.

And yeah, I think it's from the scan because all the images have that.  I subscribe to Game Informer, so hopefully my mag comes soon and I can confirm (or if someone gets their magazine earlier...).

TheMissingLink on PSN
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2008, 01:48:45 AM »

If I do wind up with a PS3 one day (I probably will way down the road no matter how much I don't want a third console, just like I did with an XBox near the end of the last generation) Resistance 1 & 2 are on my list. icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2008, 03:38:40 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 12, 2008, 01:35:38 AM

And yeah, I think it's from the scan because all the images have that.  I subscribe to Game Informer, so hopefully my mag comes soon and I can confirm (or if someone gets their magazine earlier...).

Yeah, I got my copy of GI in the mail today and those are just bad scans. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2008, 05:51:05 AM »

How about mouse and keyboard support?  That's what I really care about.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »

I didn't care for Resistance 1, but this game definitely has me interested.  60 man multiplayer sounds pretty cool.  The graphics don't blow me away though.  I think Gears of War/Unreal 3 both look better.  Of course these are early screens and that could change. 

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »

The potential problem with 60 player multiplayer is that it pretty much demands larger levels and if you have less than max players it can really change the pace of the game and make it seem empty.  I'm sure they're taking that into account and trying to design for it, but depending on the solution it may mean less maps for fewer people.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2008, 04:42:11 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 12, 2008, 04:28:00 PM

The potential problem with 60 player multiplayer is that it pretty much demands larger levels and if you have less than max players it can really change the pace of the game and make it seem empty.  I'm sure they're taking that into account and trying to design for it, but depending on the solution it may mean less maps for fewer people.

They do this for Resistance 1 multiplayer.  Each map has different variations depending on how many people are in a game.  So for one map, it has a 8 person variation, 16, 32 & 40.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2008, 04:52:28 PM »

Super excited for this one... and I don't even play MP.

gellar
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2008, 06:22:11 PM »

It's the co-op that does it for me.  Co-op is the biggest feature that I want to see this generation and any game that implements a good co-op system gets a lot of interest from me.

Although it also helps that both my little sister and I have PS3s, and my friend will get one soon.

I'm also glad they included information about the AI, as the AI in R1, while fun to fight against, was kind of basic.  It wasn't any better than the other medal of honor style WW2 shooters with lots of infantry spamming around.

I wonder if those classes will work in co-op as well.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 06:25:53 PM by Turtle » Logged
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2008, 07:48:32 PM »

depward and I are plowing through Resistance's co-op mode and it's REALLY fun.  Only split-screen is offered, but things run smooth and dandy.

TheMissingLink on PSN
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2008, 10:56:40 PM »

Best news I heard about PS3 this year.
I don't really play MP and I remember enjoying SP in first game.

Can't wait for Resistance 2.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2008, 04:48:28 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 12, 2008, 07:48:32 PM

depward and I are plowing through Resistance's co-op mode and it's REALLY fun.  Only split-screen is offered, but things run smooth and dandy.

is it only 2 player co-op, or can there be more in the first one?

Because I can,
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2008, 05:16:55 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 13, 2008, 04:48:28 AM

Just two people.

TheMissingLink on PSN
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2008, 03:32:55 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 13, 2008, 05:16:55 AM

Just two people.

Question.  Is the co-op split up/down or left/right?  I much prefer up/down and I'd like to know before going out and spending $50 on another controller so I can play with the wife.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2008, 05:26:14 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 13, 2008, 03:32:55 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 13, 2008, 05:16:55 AM

Just two people.

Question.  Is the co-op split up/down or left/right?  I much prefer up/down and I'd like to know before going out and spending $50 on another controller so I can play with the wife.

It defaulted to left/right for us.  Initially I was like, "ewwww" but with a wide-screen television, I realized there was more room using this configuration.

I don't know if you can switch to up/down.  I wish I had the game to check for you, and I'm sure depward will check, but he's hiking all day today :/  Maybe someone else can answer your question...

TheMissingLink on PSN
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2008, 07:38:55 PM »

It depends on the TV you have. If it's 16:9 it's vertical, if it's 4:3 (anything SD) it splits it horizontally. There may be some way to get around it but I haven't found it.

I only noticed because I hooked it up at a friend's SDTV and it was different.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2008, 07:55:08 PM »

Thanks guys.  Actually I don't think I've  played split screen since Halo 2.  So maybe side by side will work fine on a widescreen TV.  I may give it a shot.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2008, 03:16:20 AM »

We are not worthy.

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2008, 03:28:05 AM »

Totally awesome hawt.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2008, 03:43:00 AM »

Quote from: depward on January 26, 2008, 03:28:05 AM

Totally awesome hawt.

ABAP?

Because I can,
depward

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2008, 04:48:18 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 26, 2008, 03:43:00 AM

Quote from: depward on January 26, 2008, 03:28:05 AM

Totally awesome hawt.

ABAP?

Believe it!  It's ballin'!   icon_biggrin