http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 01:49:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resistance 2 Impressions  (Read 7586 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2008, 06:03:15 PM »

Ok I turned down the difficulty to the very bottom and forced myself through just to see what happens.  The entire ending portion is just as bad as the rest of the game.  It's probably the worst boss/end sequence/ ending of any game I've played in recent memory.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Not only was the boss fight (sequence) absolutely ridiculous.  You fight him from covered huts and basically don't even hurt him, then the lightning bolt room.  Once he dies, it goes straight to cut scene and he's just dead on the ground.  Then the timed escape from the ship is horrible.  It's so dark you can't see shit.  And then the ending is the worst part of all.  Hale dies?  What the hell are they going to do, make you play as Capelli?  I don't want emo soldiers with beanies as my in-game avatar.

Resistance 2 is hands-down my most disappointing game of this year.  What a complete disaster this was after a great first game in the series.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2008, 06:34:57 PM »

I sorta went on hiatus, so I thought I'd throw out my thoughts on the game.

The single-player is pretty bad.  The boss battles are lame, they have some of the worst enemies designed in an FPS (chameleons, drones and I don't care for the grims), and it's just not that fun.

The ending was...wow.  Wow bad, not wow good.  The boss battle was worse than Halo 2, and the "ending" was like they ran out of ideas.  I don't know what happened there.

The single, shining grace of Resistance 2 is the co-op multiplayer.  I immediately dismissed it because it was boring in the demo, but it's absolutely a ton of fun in the retail release.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2009, 07:08:36 PM »

Well, since I only recently got my PS3, I have had the somewhat unique ability to start playing R2 immediately after finishing R1. I have only played through the prologue and a good chunk of chapter 1 so far, and I have liked what I have seen so far, so I hope that it doesn't go downhill like some of the comments here have implied.

I was surprised by the comments on the graphics. Playing through the first game, I was really surprised (in a negative way) by the graphics. It sort of felt like Half Life 2 looked on the 360 - a little old. A lot of the items like desks and chairs seemed to have very basic textures. When I popped in R2, I could really see the difference. Character models, grass, lighting, everything really looks at least a generation ahead. The view
Spoiler for Hiden:
when you come outside in chapter 1 and see the bridge and all the dropships was amazing

I mostly welcomed the control changes - being able to aim and move was a huge improvement. I don't think I ever used the aim in the first game, with the exception of the sniper rifle. Being able to sprint is great. Having the secondary fire on the right trigger feels a little awkward. Not sure why they couldn't leave melee on the triangle. I guess it can be quicker on the stick, but I think having it on both would be fine.

I get the complaint about carrying 2 weapons. Being able to carry 9 weapons is not realistic, but in the first game, the weapon selection worked just like in Ratchet and Clank in that you would switch to a certain weapon for the situation. Whenever I came upon those hatchling guys, I would lay down the mines; whenever I was in a tight tunnel I would switch to shotgun; long range, sniper; Hailstorm is the only one I probably wouldn't use often as the rebounds seemed too unpredictable. In R2, you can't do that, and I would guess they had to adjust they way enemies appeared accordingly.

A couple of gripes that aren't really about gameplay. They kind of Halo-ized the game with the 2 weapon limit, but they also did so with the menus. It's like the same layout and font as Halo 3 - kind of weird. And the other thing was that I kind of wished they didn't jump ahead so far technologically. Something like 2 years pass between the first game and the second game and now they have wireless microphone/earpieces and all this fancy stuff. What was an alternate history shooter now seems more like a sci-fi shooter, at least in the beginning part.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2009, 07:27:02 PM »

I am shocked you liked the graphics.  I thought the game looked absolutely terrible from the first minute.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2009, 07:30:40 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 05, 2009, 07:27:02 PM

I am shocked you liked the graphics.  I thought the game looked absolutely terrible from the first minute.

Oh, you know the other thing I like is the way you now see the highlight of someone you tag with the bullseye.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2009, 07:34:20 PM »

Teggy - I found that yeah, the graphics of far away battles are good looking.  It looks nice.  After the initial "whoa, that's cool looking!" when seeing a Chimerian ship way off in the distance subsides and you begin actually playing, that's when I thought graphics took a dive.  I mean, some of the worst looking "next-gen" graphics, like trees glitching through walls, really poor looking textures, etc.  There are some instances of good looking graphics, but all in all, I was a little let down.

I'll echo TML's thoughts:  single player was a giant 'meh' but online co-op is addictingly good.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2009, 07:55:23 PM »

Resistance 2 was the biggest gaming disappointment I've experienced in a long time.  I was genuinely looking forward to it as one of the biggest releases of this holiday season. 

I think Insomniac finally succumbed to the 1 AAA game every year release schedule and dropped the ball in almost every way.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2009, 08:28:15 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 05, 2009, 07:55:23 PM

Resistance 2 was the biggest gaming disappointment I've experienced in a long time.  I was genuinely looking forward to it as one of the biggest releases of this holiday season. 

I think Insomniac finally succumbed to the 1 AAA game every year release schedule and dropped the ball in almost every way.

My thoughts exactly.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2009, 10:26:17 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 05, 2009, 07:08:36 PM

...And the other thing was that I kind of wished they didn't jump ahead so far technologically. Something like 2 years pass between the first game and the second game and now they have wireless microphone/earpieces and all this fancy stuff. What was an alternate history shooter now seems more like a sci-fi shooter, at least in the beginning part.

That's probably my biggest gripe.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2009, 08:02:29 PM »

So I finished this up this morning - I can see overall why people were disappointed in the game, but really don't get the complete hate.

The way the 2 weapon limit was handled definitely got a little silly, in that whenever large enemies appeared, you knew it was your job to go find where in the area the heavy weapon was. I understand their goal was to give access to all the weapons earlier in the game, but it wound up feeling contrived.

I missed the vehicles from the first game. In the first game, when they threw a monster at you that you felt that no one guy could take down, they often gave you access to a tank or other vehicle to use. Plus, it mixed things up and they were very fun to use.

There were still a lot of very big and tense firefights, and I thought the Leviathan fight was one of the cooler boss battle sequences I have ever played. The bosses themselves were not difficult (which I didn't mind, but I'm sure others did), but at least in a few cases beating the boss was not about running around and shooting the boss until it was dead.

I didn't like the Chameleons, and I was kid of torn on the Grim. I didn't always enjoy fighting them, but there is something to be said for the amount of tension the developers were able to create by having you walking through large areas filled with cocoons. And yes, the very end was definitely a little odd.

Played a little co-op this morning which was very cool, and of course there is a lot of good multiplayer in there.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2009, 08:16:30 PM »

The co-op is honestly the best part of the package.

If they released SP DLC, I'd probably skip it (the entire ending was horrendous), but if they released co-op DLC, I'd be so, so in.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2009, 01:00:49 AM »

I bought both Resistance 1 and 2 last week and have been playing them pretty much non-stop, heading directly to Resistance 2 after finishing the first one. I loved both the games, although R1 was poorly designed in some areas, having too few waypoints and too many cheap ways to die.

Anyone who says R1's graphics are better than R2's obviously haven't played R1 for a long while. Playing them directly after each other, it's like night and day. R2's graphics are miles ahead of R1, and are absolutely stunning at times. I'd often just stop and admire a scene before moving on, something that just didn't happen in the first one.

I felt the narration was tight and the missions were all memorable and fun. The end left a smile on my mouth, as it felt right and I was expecting something like that to happen.

I disagree with many of the flaws that have been mentioned in this thread. Having to turn away from danger to sprint to a better position is tense, and it almost never leads to your death (thanks to slow enemy attacks) unless you choose bad cover that leaves you exposed. If people play this game, expecting to be able to sit behind the same cover fighting a horde of enemies, they're in for a rude awakening. Battles are balanced so that you have to run from cover to cover, often away from the enemy lines, just so they won't outflank you. Battle awareness is very important. If you play this as you'd do, say, COD4, you're going to get frustrated. I finished the game on the medium difficulty level, and it felt just right. There were a couple of tough sections, but I was always able to get through them by trying to play smarter. Tip: If you continually die in a certain situation, try something different. Sometimes the same old tactic won't work.

The game's biggest flaw is something that appears mostly only in later missions. At that point you often end up in situations where the game sends you against a foe (or group of foes) that you simply don't have the weapons to defeat. You then have to run around blindly looking for the hidden place where the needed weapon is, and you're never ever given any hints about where to look.

Overall I enjoyed R2 very much, and consider it well worth the money. Got 26% trophy completion on my first playthrough.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2009, 07:05:24 PM »

With the latest patch coming Monday, I'm itching for R2 co-op again.  Anyone wanna party up and (FINALLY!) fight against stalkers who will now MOVE?

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2009, 12:17:59 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 24, 2009, 07:05:24 PM

With the latest patch coming Monday, I'm itching for R2 co-op again.  Anyone wanna party up and (FINALLY!) fight against stalkers who will now MOVE?

I'd definitely be interested in a little co-op. I might have to wait until mid-week some time, though.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2009, 12:36:28 AM »

I definitely have this on my must-play list, but the price is gonna have to sub $30 or no way.  But anxious to see how it compares to 1.  Didn't like it much.  Hoping there have been significant improvements.  But honestly, with Killzone 2 out in under a month and RE5 out 2 weeks later,  I just don't see me playing anything else after those come out for at least 3 months.  Hell, I am on my 5 or 6th playthrough of RE4 now.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2009, 12:45:03 AM »

I thought they would have learned from Resistance and added bots this time around. I'll save my cash for Killzone 2 which has all 3, singleplayer campaign, bots, and full online multiplayer. Those three ingredients together, IMO, is what makes a great shooter.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2009, 08:57:17 AM »

Accomplished one of my goals tonight - collected all intel in the co-op campaign (successfully completed 61 different scenarios across 6 different "levels").  Favorite campaigns = Orick, Bracknell.  Least favorite = HOLAR TOWER.  About 75% you're tasked with protecting this one engineer and there's a point where it's nearly impossible to stop the flood of chimera.

By the way, I didn't realize that all you had to do was play and complete the level to gain intel for co-op.  I just did the "play" option and it put me into a game like quick play.  Once I saw I was close to getting all intel, I joined open games manually.

Took me 21 hours, 44 minutes of co-op play.

I have only played spec ops and am currently level 22.  I'd probably be 30 (level cap) if I were a medic right now...however, I do average 2nd/3rd on my team with the upgrades and mastery of the battle rif-I mean marksmen.  I really love the marksmen, it feels *just* like the BR from Halo 3.

So, FOR ME, Resistance 2 has been redeemed by it's amazing co-op.  I may go through the single-player campaign or play some competitive now that I've put so much time into the co-op, seeing if my thoughts on those two parts of the game have changed.

Just thought I'd share.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2009, 02:06:38 PM »

I have heard good things about the co-op and versus play from quite a few people.

I intend to eventually repurchase the game for co-op if I see it for a good price, once they patch in the ability for player two in split-screen to save his character.  I have heard that the problem was actually caused by a firmware issue which has recently been addressed by Sony.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2009, 02:24:23 PM »

I am up for co-op tonight TML, if you are interested. Got my bluetooth headset yesterday so I am ready to roll.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2009, 03:12:04 AM »

If I'm not too late, sure!  How about we shoot for 7:30pm PST if you read this biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2009, 03:32:35 AM »

Rats!  I'm still at work!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2009, 03:43:50 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 29, 2009, 03:12:04 AM

If I'm not too late, sure!  How about we shoot for 7:30pm PST if you read this biggrin

Ah, I'm guessing you are on the west coast? Maybe we should shoot for a for a weekend because that's usually when I am shutting down on weekdays (east coast).

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2009, 08:26:56 AM »

Ahha, gotcha.

Let's set up a time on Saturday!  Not too late, not too early?

Turtle, you win?  depward?

Spec-ops here biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2009, 03:12:02 AM »

So I received this game and killzone 2 in the mail from Turtle.  Both series are new to me, having not played the originals, so as far as backstories go, I don't have a foundation to go on.

I played an hour on both games, with killzone 2 being the first.  Thinking I could hang, I started out on veteran, or whatever the difficulty level it's called (the 3rd option) and man I had my ass handed to me in no time, so I quickly started over lowering the difficulty down a notch making the AI less aggressive but still challenging at times. 

Anyways, based on my 1 hour impression on both games, I'm liking KZ2 much more.  It certainly is more polished (which it should be since it was in development for a long as time), but everything is polished, graphics/sound/gameplay/acting, it's just fun.  Reminds me of half life in some ways, as far as how well done it is as a package.

Resistance 2 seems a little been there done that.  It's linear (at least so far) and while the weapons are cool, especially the secondary weapons, it just feels the same.  Doesn't mean I don't like it, but after playing KZ2 first, I'm more interested in that.

Anyways, those are my initial impressions, I'm hoping R2 gets better.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2009, 03:24:04 AM »

Quote from: naednek on March 29, 2009, 03:12:02 AM

So I received this game and killzone 2 in the mail from Turtle.  Both series are new to me, having not played the originals, so as far as backstories go, I don't have a foundation to go on.

I played an hour on both games, with killzone 2 being the first.  Thinking I could hang, I started out on veteran, or whatever the difficulty level it's called (the 3rd option) and man I had my ass handed to me in no time, so I quickly started over lowering the difficulty down a notch making the AI less aggressive but still challenging at times. 

Anyways, based on my 1 hour impression on both games, I'm liking KZ2 much more.  It certainly is more polished (which it should be since it was in development for a long as time), but everything is polished, graphics/sound/gameplay/acting, it's just fun.  Reminds me of half life in some ways, as far as how well done it is as a package.

Resistance 2 seems a little been there done that.  It's linear (at least so far) and while the weapons are cool, especially the secondary weapons, it just feels the same.  Doesn't mean I don't like it, but after playing KZ2 first, I'm more interested in that.

Anyways, those are my initial impressions, I'm hoping R2 gets better.

Resistance 1 is definitely worth playing (and treats weapons and health differently than R2). Killzone 1 is on the PS2 and at this point isn't really worth going back to - with the exception of a multi-character system that can be kind of interesting, everything else it does is a bit dated and can be pretty frustrating to deal with now.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2009, 05:11:31 AM »

Having just finished KZ1, I can confirm Teggy's comments.  And the first Resistance is just a better class of game than R2.  They got rid of everything that made the first game unique for the sequel.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2009, 03:37:35 PM »

RISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took it upon myself to finish up playing Resistance 1, which I had stopped playing a long time ago so that I could actually start playing Resistance 2, which I had bought earlier but never started because I never finished the first one.  I had stopped playing Resistance 1 because I had been stuck inside some spot in a church where you get attacked by all kinds of monsters and took a long break from it.  I had picked it up again, though, and finally beaten that part, but stopped playing again for some reason or another.  Anyway, I figured it was time to finally put the thing to rest and so I did the other day.

Fresh of the R1 experience, I started playing 2 last night and I must say that so far I like it much better than the first.  One, the graphics look so much better without all the dreary grays and browns of the first game.  When I came outside in San Francisco for the first time, I was amazed at the color of the sky.  Second, the control scheme is so much better than the first and it makes playing the game a bit easier since I don't have to think about the controls as much.  It was a little weird playing it fresh off of the first since the control scheme was fresh in my head, but since it is more logical, it was very easy to forget the old control scheme.

I just got to Orick, but I have really enjoyed the boss fights up until this point.  Hopefully that trend continues.  The 2 weapon limit doesn't really bother me as playing 3 Halo games makes this feel second nature.

My biggest complaint, though, is that I don't get the feeling this game is set in the 50s.  The guys have wireless ear pieces  they can communicate on and things definitely seem more modern than they should.  I really like the idea of an alternate universe in the 50s and they seem to have kind of advanced technology a great bit.  Maybe they had them in the first one, but I guess I didn't notice.  Now that I think about it, I guess they must have in order for people to have been talking to me while running around.

Probably my biggest complaint in the first game was I felt that the checkpoints were too far apart.  I kept having to redo larger sections than I wanted to and it made the ending levels of the game infuriate me.  So far, the checkpoints do seem more frequent, but we will see if that holds up.  I would have loved to have turned down the difficulty in the first game mid-game just to finally finish up without frustration, but that wasn't an option.  I made it through, though.  Not sure if the sequel allows a difficulty change or not, but hopefully if the check points are more frequent, I won't need it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2009, 03:59:54 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 09, 2009, 03:37:35 PM

My biggest complaint, though, is that I don't get the feeling this game is set in the 50s.  The guys have wireless ear pieces  they can communicate on and things definitely seem more modern than they should.  I really like the idea of an alternate universe in the 50s and they seem to have kind of advanced technology a great bit.  Maybe they had them in the first one, but I guess I didn't notice.  Now that I think about it, I guess they must have in order for people to have been talking to me while running around.

That's my biggest complaint, too, but it's a huge one, for me.  I stopped playing R2 a long while ago.  I got into some woods (Redwood forest, maybe) and just got overwhelmed by my indifference.  The first one may have been clunky, but the setting kept me playing.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2009, 05:07:01 PM »

I keep forgetting that I have this game still unopened.  I really have to give it a go despite the negative impressions....
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2009, 11:20:04 PM »

I'm about 2/3 through the game and gotta say I really like it.  Much more than the bland monochrome first one.  I like the weapons, set pieces, story, and graphics.  The boss battles are the only down side to me along with the fact that the enemies seem to think I am the ONLY person on the battlefield; kinda lame. 

Other than that I really really like it.  Much more than I thought I would. Ofcourse, my enjoyment could be tainted by the fact that I got it new for less than $9 at Sam's.  How could I not think it is a good 10 buck game?!

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2009, 03:30:01 AM »

Just finished the single player campaign. I can see some of the criticisms are justified but I still enjoyed it for the most part.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Was that supposed to be a planet breaking up in the background of the ending?

I guess it's time to dive into some multiplayer if it's still active.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 03:31:33 AM by Kagath » Logged

Playing: ? 360 | FO: New Vegas | BF4 PC / 360 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2009, 03:53:56 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on July 09, 2009, 11:20:04 PM

Much more than the bland monochrome first one.  I like the weapons, set pieces, story, and graphics. 

For me, R2 is the bland one.  Sure, the colors may be a bit prettier, but all of the interesting elements were completely taken out (WW2 setting and weapons and characters, among other things) leaving a me too FPS.

But it played decently, at least.  I suppose that would be worth $10!

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2009, 01:19:48 PM »

Still have yet to fire this up.  icon_confused
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: