http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 10:37:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D (Anti resale measures)  (Read 403 times)
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2011, 11:25:19 PM »

So what you guys think? If this is true, would go to a definate not buying for me.....

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/06/capcom-tries-to.php
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 12:16:43 AM »

yeah i think CAPCOM have said it isn't to combat used game sales,but who are they kidding

just saw this as well on CVG

EB Games Australia boycotting Resi Mercs over save restrictions

According to 'sources' speaking to Vooks, the retailer is rejecting the game over Capcom's decision not to allow users to erase save data from the cart, which essentially ruins the re-sale value of pre-owned copies being as the second owner will never be able to start afresh.

The permanent save file also apparently invalidates the store's 7-day returns policy because users simply won't be able to return their carts "as new".
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 12:24:55 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 12:19:50 AM »

Now if only gamestop US and Walmart would refuse to sell the game and we would be in business. Whoever made this decision at Capcom should be fired.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 01:35:14 AM »

I've said it before, but treating Gamestop, and in case the consumer, as the enemy is not the way to combat perceived losses to used sales.

I recently got my son Bad Company 2 used, then ponied up 10 bucks for the VIP pack for the extra maps his friends were playing on. That's how you do it.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 06:46:58 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 29, 2011, 12:19:50 AM

Now if only gamestop US and Walmart would refuse to sell the game and we would be in business. Whoever made this decision at Capcom should be fired.

Agreed on both counts. Think of how quickly Capcom would change their minds if that happened. I'm sorry, but you can NOT combat used game sales like this.

And to no one's surprise, the game is getting killed in reviews over on Amazon.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 12:37:01 PM »

here in the UK GAME and Gamestation have said that they will be accepting used Resi Mercs(GAME/GS are the same group as Gamespot,and parent company EB Games)

HMV however are not accepting them

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-29-game-will-accept-resi-evil-3d-trade-ins

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 02:26:03 PM »

For the style of game Mercenaries is, I don't see this as such a big deal.  HOWEVER, resetable saves should be a standard.  This is something that Nintendo should have as a requirement for the platform.  It shouldn't be up to developers.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 02:32:34 PM »

Frankly, I can see this as driving up piracy since it's going to be a pretty easy hack to reset the software.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 02:46:02 PM »

Here's a thought: there has to be an auto-wipe mechanism if the data corrupts (let's hope, anyway). probably not too hard to trigger that.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 06:18:23 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 30, 2011, 02:46:02 PM

Here's a thought: there has to be an auto-wipe mechanism if the data corrupts (let's hope, anyway). probably not too hard to trigger that.

Traditionally in cases like these, there's actually two save slots. When it saves the game, it goes into the 'other' slot, and only upon successfully saving it moves itself into the main slot.

And I thought that Nintendo did require a way to reset all game data (even if it was some obscure button combo) for the GBA/DS/3DS? Apparently not.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 07:18:20 PM »

Quote from: Capcom
Capcom then explained what this means for anyone hoping to buy a secondhand copy of the game. "Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D consists of 30 time-based missions, through which the player unlocks skill upgrades as they progress through the game. Anyone purchasing a copy of the game secondhand would have access to all the missions and skills that the original owner unlocked, in addition to the content that was available to the original user."

So used copies should cost MORE than new copies! It's like free DLC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: