http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 04:25:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resident Evil 5 demo coming 26th  (Read 8289 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2009, 09:32:56 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 16, 2009, 07:56:40 AM

RE4 may have had a town attack early on, but those were all just normal zombies.  With 5, they threw in Mr. Hammer.  In some ways though, that inclusion was a bit better as it forces you to move around instead of barricading yourself in that first room.

Actually, the initial town battle in RE4 featured TWO (yes, that's 2) chainsaw guys if you moved around in the area. One would appear if you barricaded yourself inside the big house (which the game seemed to encourage. There was even a cutscene for this particular event). The other would appear if you tried moving towards the next area before the enemies headed towards the church. Considering you only had a pistol at this point, fighting those chainsaw guys was incredibly hard. I was cheering at a friend of mine when he nearly downed both of them during his first attempt at the game.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2009, 09:43:17 AM »

Wow, I didn't even remember those chainsaw guys, I think perhaps its because those chainsaw guys weren't as tough as the current RE5 bosses that just ignore normal bullets (or did they?).  The RE4 chainsaw guys were only slightly tougher, and really only killed you if you didn't see them in time.  With RE5 you can't kneecap them.

Also, the big house usually had a shotgun in it, making it easier to knock back groups of enemies as they came up through the choke points.

Either way, RE5 is fun, and has co-op so I'm buying it.  The extra difficulty works well in co-op even though I still don't like the complete lack of reactions to being shot normally.  Just a slight flinch would help.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2009, 10:23:33 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 16, 2009, 09:43:17 AM

Wow, I didn't even remember those chainsaw guys, I think perhaps its because those chainsaw guys weren't as tough as the current RE5 bosses that just ignore normal bullets (or did they?).  The RE4 chainsaw guys were only slightly tougher, and really only killed you if you didn't see them in time.  With RE5 you can't kneecap them.

The RE4 chainsaw guys were some of the toughest enemies in the entire game. They could take an eternity of punishment (I seem to recall pumping about 7-8 shotgun shells into their heads before they dropped), and they would come running at you at full speed, chopping your head off instantly. I actually feel the RE5 version is subdued quite a bit, and doesn't feel as dangerous. Also, the death animation from being killed by them seems to be censored (the camera pans away just as the chainsaw goes through your neck), something I hope won't be part of the full game.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2009, 02:38:51 PM »

I was pretty down on this when I played SP, but after playing co-op at a friend's house this weekend I am definitely in. You can't play it COD style, it really is much more strategic then that. Great fun and, now that I've got the hang of the controls, it's a must-buy.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2009, 09:13:11 AM »

Well I played through the demo again and decided that I enjoy it.  I still think the first part of the demo is absolute crap.  I have no problem with not being able to run and shoot but what I do have a problem with is how they've assigned "run" to the X button.  How the hell am I supposed to control the camera when I'm running? It's awkward as hell!  Also-this is going to be a good game-nay, this is going to be a great game.  But this game is not Resident Evil.  You can call it whatever you like but it's not Resident Evil.  It's not survival horror.  Enemies that dissolve and leave cash or bullets?  What the hell is that?  Needless to say, it's going to be a great action game though.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2009, 09:16:06 AM »

Didn't you play Resident Evil 4? It was the exact same way, and it was still definitely a RE game.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2009, 09:49:20 AM »

Well, the good news is that the original designer, or at least the one who made 4, says that Resident Evil 6 will be a reboot where a lot of the game will change yet again.

For all the problems there are with RE controls and control style.  I think there's a lot of casual people who can get into the game because of them.  We're the oddballs here who know how to handle something that is actually complex as moving and strafing with one stick and accurately aiming or changing the view angle with another, and the two at the same time.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 09:51:16 AM by Turtle » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2009, 01:30:35 PM »

Some sites are saying there's only about 8 hours of gameplay.  That won't make too much of a difference to me (I'm sure it'll take me longer), but I have no doubt it'll be a deal-breaker for some.

I still haven't heard anything about difficulty options, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2009, 01:46:53 PM »

8 hours is probably very wrong (a lot of gaming geeks seem to have a strange desire to brag about rushing through games). The devs say the game is larger than RE4, and the length estimates I've seen so far in previews have been 20+ hours, probably more than that for most players.

Of course, knowing the GT crowd, someone in here will inevitably say "8 hours? I'm out!" based on a completely unverified claim about what "some sites are saying".  icon_razz
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2009, 02:09:43 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 24, 2009, 01:46:53 PM

8 hours is probably very wrong (a lot of gaming geeks seem to have a strange desire to brag about rushing through games). The devs say the game is larger than RE4, and the length estimates I've seen so far in previews have been 20+ hours, probably more than that for most players.

Of course, knowing the GT crowd, someone in here will inevitably say "8 hours? I'm out!" based on a completely unverified claim about what "some sites are saying".  icon_razz

icon_razz Back atcha.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=208807&site=xbw

It seems our seven and a half hour completion time has upset many people, prompting some to step forward and label it false. Proof to the contrary, along with out latest podcast featuring plenty of Resident Evil 5 discussion, can be found inside...

As previously stated our first completion time, minus cut-scenes, was seven hours, thirty-six minutes and one second. For reference purposes, the total length of all the game's cut-scenes clocks in at 80 minutes. The time shown in these screens is slightly quicker because we've since replayed one chapter to retake a couple of corrupted screenshots, although our original time's proof is printed in issue 76, onsale now.

This time was achieved in single player and on the normal difficulty. This was not a speed-run, nor were we pressured for time, and was not, as suggested, merely the time to complete the first three chapters of preview code. We do not review games from preview code, and although other magazines reviewed a three act preview build we received the finished game for our exclusive review (see picture 1).

Our total game time, three-and-a-bit completions strong plus 'other' factors, currently stands at over 25 hours. That would not be possible if we were hurried at all. As an aside, we fully expect the time to have been quicker had we played through with a second player first time out.

The quicker time - the amateur time - was achieved when we replayed the game to search for the blue medallions (we found 23/30 on that run-through but have since secured the rest), and so involved lots of searching nooks and crannies. Again, this was not a speed-run. Note that the time for the final chapter (details of where these locations are have been blurred for obvious reasons) is much quicker because we were able to sidestep the design flaw which tripped us up first time around.

We wish to stress that you cannot see all there is to see in Resident Evil 5 in under ten hours - something which the review makes very clear. There are plenty of extras to unlock and reasons to keep playing. But the fact remains that the first run-through of the campaign is brief; especially when compared to 4's.

We can only suggest that those citing 20+ hour completion times need to brush up on their gaming skills. :-)

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2009, 02:12:33 PM »

Running time news, if true for most people, is a bummer.  I loved RE4's rather epic length.  I was expecting something a little shorter from RE5, but not that much shorter. 
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2009, 04:50:59 PM »

That's disappointing.  While I was ready for RE4 to end by the fourth chapter, cutting the playtime that drastically moves it from "buy" to "rent", IMO.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 06, 2009, 10:48:22 PM »

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/06/wiis-resident-evil-fans-will-be-very-happy-very-soon-says-ca/

Interesting.  Not necessarily 5, but I'll be holding out, just in case.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2009, 02:22:46 AM »

IGN has three reviews up.  US: 9.0   AU: 8.7    UK: 9.0  The conversion rate is a little off for the Australian review point.

Here are the comments.

Closing Comments
With Resident Evil 5, Capcom has broken away from many of the survival horror conventions it pioneered. The creepy suspense of the earlier games has been replaced with an action-packed intensity that will instantly appeal to some gamers and disappoint others. As an action game, RE5 is a success, and thereís a wealth of replayability through item collection, weapon upgrades, score chasing and the unlockable Mercenaries mode. But this is no gentle nudge to the formula of the previous main RE games; itís an evolution. And if you can accept it as that, you just might love Resident Evil 5.

Closing Comments
This review has been quite negative but thatís unavoidable when youíre discussing a good game that follows on from an incredible one. Obviously we wish Resident Evil 5 had achieved more but the bottom line is Capcom has created a solid sequel that is well worth the sticker price. Gorgeous visuals will assault your eyeballs, a great range of co-op options make it a very robust multiplayer experience and an insane wealth of unlockables will keep hardcore fans (like me) replaying it umpteen times.

Closing Comments
While it's occasionally hampered by outdated controls and problematic AI, it's the near-mandatory co-op and bombastic assault of visceral silliness that earns Resident Evil 5 its stripes. Sure, it might just be a shinier, snazzier retread of Resi 4 - and certainly, it lacks its forerunner's impressive sense of invention - but this is still big, dumb Grade A entertainment. Is it a classic like it's predecessor? No, but it's a gloriously daft amount of fun and sometimes that's enough.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 02:26:46 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2009, 03:26:07 AM »

IGN also says 10-12 hrs, so it does appear to be shorter than RE4. Did anyone finish 4 as quickly?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2009, 05:23:03 AM »

I wish I could play scary games.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2009, 02:16:45 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on March 07, 2009, 05:23:03 AM

By most of the early reports I have read, RE5 is the least scary game in the series.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2009, 03:23:54 AM »

Quote from: JCC on March 07, 2009, 02:16:45 PM

Quote from: Eco-Logic on March 07, 2009, 05:23:03 AM

By most of the early reports I have read, RE5 is the least scary game in the series.

That is really good to know.

I'm not a wuss...  I like good scary movies. 

It is different playing a scary game though, especially by yourself.  I rented Silent Hill back when I had the original Xbox and well, didn't get very far at all...

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2009, 05:34:19 AM »

It's more tension some jump scares than terror and nightmare inducing environment.

Generally, you can blast apart whatever you encounter, a great way to relieve that tension.  slywink
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 08, 2009, 11:39:39 AM »

Quote from: JCC on March 07, 2009, 03:26:07 AM

IGN also says 10-12 hrs, so it does appear to be shorter than RE4. Did anyone finish 4 as quickly?

RE4 was fairly long, IIRC. I haven't finished it, but I remember reading reports of around 16-20h.

"Goonies never say die"
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2009, 02:47:16 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on March 08, 2009, 11:39:39 AM

Quote from: JCC on March 07, 2009, 03:26:07 AM

RE4 was fairly long, IIRC. I haven't finished it, but I remember reading reports of around 16-20h.

I have played RE4 through 4 times completely and the best I ever did was around 15 hours.  First time was 25.  I suspect this new one will ring about 12 for me and subsequent playthroughs around 9.  I can live with that.  If it is as good as 4, I will get my money's worth no problem.  Plus their games are very replayable by playing through and chosing to upgrade different sets of weapons and such.   Changes tactics altogether. 

Of course I am talking playing through alone, but I suspect coop will shorten those playthroughs by an hour or so...

I am Xboxalot on Live.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 09, 2009, 05:03:58 PM »

Anyone hear if there are any noticeable differences between the 360 and PS3 versions?  Or is it negligible.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: March 09, 2009, 06:01:25 PM »

Negligible difference.  There was a comparison before and the 360 had slightly better texture resolution, but the PS3's effects looked slightly better, otherwise the performance was the same.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 09, 2009, 09:28:57 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 09, 2009, 06:01:25 PM

Negligible difference.  There was a comparison before and the 360 had slightly better texture resolution, but the PS3's effects looked slightly better, otherwise the performance was the same.

Cool, thanks for the info.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2009, 10:43:35 AM »

And here's some new info, it looks like there will be some DLC that adds extra multiplayer modes.

Seen on Joystiq via a trophy list update for the PS3 version.

Looks like there are more co-op and adversarial modes in multiplayer, could involve 4 or more players in teams of two.
ProTrac
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2009, 11:31:07 AM »

I bought resident evil 4 game during Christmas for the Nintendo Wii I was getting at that time. It is really amazing. I do like the action and adventure. I'm not a hard core gamer at all, but yes I can do this. Yup I die a lot during some of the encounters but I do eventually learn how to get through it and the family enjoy's it too. I hope the new resident evil 5 game is just as fun and easy to learn and master.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 12, 2009, 01:51:20 PM »

i dont want to jump on the band wagon that says Resi Evil 5 IS racist,but these pictures,although very nice to look at do seem a bit of a Stereotype..but still,here they are for us all to enjoy icon_lol icon_lol icon_biggrin icon_biggrin eek eek eek

from kotaku

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 12, 2009, 02:18:39 PM »

Here's an article about the race thing that I found interesting:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123672060500987853.html

It's not inflamatory at all, but it points out why it's seen as an issue.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 02:20:52 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 12, 2009, 04:23:45 PM »

Multiplayer modes?  2v2?  I'm somewhat intrigued...but wtf Capcom, why are you charging us for this?  That's pretty low.

TheMissingLink on PSN
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 12, 2009, 04:27:01 PM »

Another take on the whole racism thing from an anthropologist's view:

http://www.videogamer.com/news/exclusive_expert_delivers_verdict_on_resi_5_racism_row.html?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: