http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 01:18:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resident Evil 5 demo coming 26th  (Read 8415 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2009, 06:12:39 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on January 29, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 27, 2009, 06:21:30 PM

I honestly think sales will fall as a result of the demo.

Totally agree, but I will still be one getting it.  Just too much of a fan of the whole series.

I don't know about that.  I still think this'll sell buttloads and get amazing reviews.

For me, the controls aren't the thing making me question getting this, but they are a part of it.  The difficulty is just too much, frankly.  Some of that's the controls, sure, but other times, it feels like the developers hate the players and want to punish them.  RE4: Wii Edition fixed that very well, and I thought that was a good sign for the future, but maybe not.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2009, 06:24:23 PM »

I've hated the controls of every RE game since the first, but I keep trying every one since the first just in case. frown

Demo failed solely on controls once again for me.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2009, 10:14:57 PM »

For those die-hard RE fans, might I recommend a rainy-day purchase of an umbrella?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2009, 04:40:56 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 29, 2009, 06:12:39 PM

Quote from: mikeg on January 29, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 27, 2009, 06:21:30 PM

I honestly think sales will fall as a result of the demo.

Totally agree, but I will still be one getting it.  Just too much of a fan of the whole series.

I don't know about that.  I still think this'll sell buttloads and get amazing reviews.

For me, the controls aren't the thing making me question getting this, but they are a part of it.  The difficulty is just too much, frankly.  Some of that's the controls, sure, but other times, it feels like the developers hate the players and want to punish them.  RE4: Wii Edition fixed that very well, and I thought that was a good sign for the future, but maybe not.

I think the actual game will be much easier than the demo. Both of the sections in the demo are fairly claustrophobic and such areas are often very difficult in RE games. Combined with the fact that you are accompanied by a buddy, it becomes that much more challenging. The only part of the demos I found difficult were the chain saw and axe wielding bosses. I loved everything about the demo with the 1 exception that the camera seemed to have a tendency to drift high over Chris' shoulder. I did find that aiming my gun would pull it back to center a bit. RE0 is one of my favorite RE games to date and I'm very happy to see a buddy system in an RE game again. I can't wait to play this in split-screen co-op! The fact that your buddy isn't the annoying Rebecca Chambers this time is icing on the cake. slywink thumbsup
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2009, 05:41:58 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 29, 2009, 06:24:23 PM

I've hated the controls of every RE game since the first, but I keep trying every one since the first just in case. frown

Demo failed solely on controls once again for me.

I have the very same problem.  I even gave RE4 the benefit of the doubt and did my damndest to try to enjoy the game despite the controls, but in the end the clunky, outdated controls ruined the experience for me.  No matter how good the story, the graphics, or the sound, if gameplay isn't fun then it's a waste of my money and my time.  I continue to struggle to understand why Capcom would be so stubborn in adhering to such an outdated control scheme.  It consistently kills RE games for me each and every time. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2009, 06:41:36 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 30, 2009, 05:41:58 PM

I continue to struggle to understand why Capcom would be so stubborn in adhering to such an outdated control scheme.

Maybe because RE4 sold a shitload of copies?

For as much bitching on internet forums there is about the controls, how come it did so well across the board?

(I'm in the camp that loved RE4 btw)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2009, 06:46:27 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on January 30, 2009, 06:41:36 PM

I continue to struggle to understand why Capcom would be so stubborn in adhering to such an outdated control scheme.

For as much bitching on internet forums there is about the controls, how come it did so well across the board?

i loved it on the Wii,after a while the controls really hit home with me,i didnt however try the Cube version...i havent actually heard a bad thing about the Wii controls for the game,maybe it was the cube version that the complainers were having a go at,and therfor are more or less in the same boat for Resi 5 controls

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2009, 07:01:37 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 30, 2009, 06:46:27 PM

i loved it on the Wii,after a while the controls really hit home with me,i didnt however try the Cube version...i havent actually heard a bad thing about the Wii controls for the game,maybe it was the cube version that the complainers were having a go at,and therfor are more or less in the same boat for Resi 5 controls

Having played both, I can testify that the Wii controls were infinitely superior to the Cube controls.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2009, 07:49:59 PM »

Why does Madden continue to sell a "shitload" of copies year after year? 

Game sales don't change poor controls.  Forcing a player to remain motionless when firing creates unnecessary frustration.  You are forced to stop, line up a shot, holster your gun, and then run away.  If 99% of the games on the market allow more freedom and yet still manage to maintain that methodical, tactical approach, I see little reason for the RE series to continue to stubbornly adhere to a restrictive control system.

Regardless of game sales, many had a problem with RE4's controls.  And, as many purchased the game and then discovered the poor controls, game sales really don't truly reflect the control issues I mentioned.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2009, 08:50:14 PM »

Look folks.  To each his/her own.  For those that like the controls, enjoy it.  For those that don't, move on.  Simple.  I love the controls and have no problem with them.  It is what makes RE games unique.  I will play RE5, like I did RE4, and have a blast.  Change the controls to be like Gears and you lose the flavor of an RE game.  Like I said several posts up RE is like a tactical strategy game.  Almost chess-like in a way.  If you can't see it that way, or are unwilling to see it that way, then you are not going to get it. 

Regardless of game sales, many had a problem with RE4's controls.  And, as many purchased the game and then discovered the poor controls, game sales really don't truly reflect the control issues I mentioned.

Sorry Pete, but I have to strongly disagree with you on this.  RE has been around forever and has been wildly successful since day 1.  If it were the controls ruining the game than future iterations of RE beyond the original would have failed or never had been made.  I believe it's more the story/theme/idea/setting of the RE franchise that makes it very popular and successful.  I think the "many" you refer to are those vocal ones here at GT that don't like the controls.  Dissenting voices often drown out the others.   icon_wink

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2009, 08:59:06 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 30, 2009, 07:49:59 PM

Why does Madden continue to sell a "shitload" of copies year after year? 

Game sales don't change poor controls.  Forcing a player to remain motionless when firing creates unnecessary frustration.  You are forced to stop, line up a shot, holster your gun, and then run away.  If 99% of the games on the market allow more freedom and yet still manage to maintain that methodical, tactical approach, I see little reason for the RE series to continue to stubbornly adhere to a restrictive control system.

but reviews are supposed to, right? it's the combination of huge sales & universal critical acclaim that made me ask what i did earlier in this thread - if the controls suck so bad, how'd the game become such a major success? i mean, it's not like most other shooters weren't fundamentally the same back then as they are now, making re4's controls every bit as funky back then as they are now, right?...

i'm in no way promoting the game - the whole thing just strikes me as weird, is all smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2009, 09:10:49 PM »

Perhaps people here need to realize that we are the vocal minority of people who are way too used to FPS style controls where we can both move and navigate terrain while aiming and shooting at the same time.  RE4 sold to a lot of people who then actually played the game because it separated the two aspects of moving and navigation, from aiming and shooting.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2009, 09:32:48 PM »

I fail to see why it is so hard for people to understand that a number of us universally dislike the control scheme of the RE series.  The simple inability to move while firing (or even aiming) is a control flaw, not a game "enhancement".  Even from just an immersion standpoint, are you going to tell me that a trained combat person is going to stand still while faced with an onslaught of hungry zombies casually picking them off one by one while rooted to the same spot?  And only after carefully reholstering his weapon would he then begin to consider searching for locations for egress? 

I don't like the control scheme.  It detracts from the series, for me and a number of others. 

I loved the first Resident Evil game.  But the controls sucked.  And over time it has become increasingly difficult to look beyond the bad controls.

Quote from: Starshifter on January 30, 2009, 08:50:14 PM

Change the controls to be like Gears and you lose the flavor of an RE game.  Like I said several posts up RE is like a tactical strategy game.  Almost chess-like in a way.  If you can't see it that way, or are unwilling to see it that way, then you are not going to get it.

And here I disagree.  The Rainbow Six series is about tactical gameplay as well.  And yet you can move and fire at the same time without losing that tactical element.  It's not about "seeing it that way."  Resident Evil continues to intentionally limit gameplay freedom with a restriction on the ability to move while even aiming.  One doesn't have to "get it" in order to dislike the design.

Will positive reviews for RE5 automatically validate the control scheme?  Not necessarily.  Perhaps reviewers are willing to look beyond the hampered system as bad controls have always been a part of the RE series, and changing them would undermine that which makes a title a RE title.   
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 09:40:27 PM by PeteRock » Logged

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2009, 09:35:13 PM »

One thing I didn't post in my reply yesterday; so much for the myth that the 180 has been removed for RE5. I knew that wouldn't happen and sure enough it's there. I remember reading some exchanges in a earlier thread here about it being taken out, kind of makes me wonder what the source of that false claim was or why anyone was given that impression?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 09:38:24 PM by kronovan » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »

the spin round go forward style controls of the earlier Resi's took awhile to get used to,but once i got it,it was fine(i just finished Resident Evil zero last week,and i finished Nemesis yesteryear)...i dont know what to think of these controls really...i just know that i really want to see a Wii version of the game or i think i may step this one out(i finished Resi 4 on the Wii,thinking it was a great step up for the franchise)..perhaps Starshifter is right and i just wont get it,but if i have taken a while to get used to past Resi controls,maybe this will be the same

is there really not gonna be a Wii version?or maybe a Wii version with less Zombies(like Dead Rising,lol,yes i went there)or maybe 1 less partner to look after disgust

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2009, 10:21:13 PM »

I haven't played the demo yet, but have played many versions of RE, including RE4 on the Cube and the Wii.

I don't think anyone's saying that the people who don't like the shoot/move thing are wrong, or that they're not good people.  What I hear, and agree with, is that the controls being what they are aren't going to negatively affect sales.  Given how long the RE series has been around, I don't think the majority of people who were going to buy RE5 are expecting for it to play like a shooter (which it's not).  So saying that the demo's going to lose sales because it controls like an RE game just means that it may not pick up the non-RE market.

It's fine not to like it.  I do think it's a poor wording to call it a design flaw.  It's one of those things that's only a flaw if you don't like it.  Plenty of people find that it doesn't affect their enjoyment, of that it enhances it.  For them, it's obviously not a flaw.  At that point (some liking it, some not), it really becomes a design decision.  For me, RE has always been about tension.  I didn't like the RE1-3 controls, but only because I have a hard time with left and right, and I couldn't get used to pushing left to move right if the character was facing the screen.  RE4 fixed that.  The stopping to shoot thing never bothered me.  Usually, you had time to line up shots, so running and shooting was never something that I felt I needed to do.  From a realism standpoint, running and shooting simply isn't something that's done very often.

Granted, I think the Wii controls were better than the Cube controls, but that speaks more to the superiority of using a device made for pointing (Wiimote/mouse) to one made for detecting the degree of movement in a desired direction (joystick).

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2009, 09:32:50 PM »

Playstation magazine have given this game a 5 out of 5

but sod that and watch this video that is 2minutes 37 seconds

at around 1 minute 20 seconds the guy talks about 'action controls' that you can switch to,so you can move and shoot

enjoy

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=l-vEW3Fj7tU

depward

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2009, 10:16:48 PM »

Not a huge fan of RE but decided to give the demo a whirl:

I enjoyed it!  Instead of thinking of how it could play, I just went in and played it how it does play and found it to be pretty fun.  I don't particularly want to engage in the shooting-while-walking argument because, frankly, it doesn't have it (or does it per metallicorphan's video..?) so it was obviously a design choice the developers made.

Whether the game would benefit from it, whether it might make it too easy, who knows.  I'm kind of thinking that if we had Gears-like controls, it would make the game so incredibly easy.

In any case, had fun with it.  I like the idea of coop and, if one of my fav gaming buddies picked it up, I would probably pick it up to play coop.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2009, 11:46:24 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 02, 2009, 09:32:50 PM

at around 1 minute 20 seconds the guy talks about 'action controls' that you can switch to,so you can move and shoot

enjoy

Or maybe not:  http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/News-270080.aspx

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2009, 12:56:19 AM »

My Silver self tried this tonight. I definitely feel that as long as they are going to say "no" to run and shoot, they should make the Wii this franchise's lead platform. It just felt awful going back to the gamepad controls for this. Also it seemed like the pace was a bit more frantic here than in 4. I did enjoy myself until the chainsaw guy, who I just couldn't kill despite using every remaining oil barrel on him. (I never even had a chance to throw a grenade, I would guess that would have done the trick....)  Still, while the graphics looked pretty awesome on the 360, I really wanted to play it with the Wiimote. An example of better control trumping better graphics here. Of course, they could have changed the controls to something more traditional, but I guess that's what everyone's always saying with this series. The real time inventory was a mixed bag - convenient but even LESS inventory space!

I'll consider it I guess, but it sure didn't wow me like RE4 or Dead Space did.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:28:54 AM by JCC » Logged

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2009, 01:27:37 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on January 30, 2009, 10:21:13 PM

Usually, you had time to line up shots, so running and shooting was never something that I felt I needed to do.  From a realism standpoint, running and shooting simply isn't something that's done very often.

This is where they broke the formula. You DON'T have any time at all to line up your shots. the first level they present you with is a tiny little shack with about 30 zombies coming in from all angles. there is no margin of error at all, and to make matters worse you have a bumbling fool getting in your way too.

I totally agree that running and shooting is not realistic, and used that defense for RE4, but in this case they broke the zombie to stationary shooter ratio and totally broke the game.

but if you enjoy it more power to you. I love me some RE and am sad I won't be joining in this round unless I hear some really stellar reports that the demo was a bad example of typical gameplay.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2009, 01:49:39 AM »

well, shit! - they don't really ease you into things, now do they? smile ...

don't know what to say - not really fond of shooters of any kind, & it felt like the camera was in even closer than in re4 (iow, very claustrophobic), but i'll be giving it a shot (& hoping the in-game tutorial's a bit more toned-down) - had a hard time getting into re4 as well, but eventually figured it out (btw, i found what's-her-name to be pretty damn helpful, actually)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2009, 02:00:31 AM »

Quote from: somoflange on February 03, 2009, 01:27:37 AM

Quote from: Chaz on January 30, 2009, 10:21:13 PM

Usually, you had time to line up shots, so running and shooting was never something that I felt I needed to do.  From a realism standpoint, running and shooting simply isn't something that's done very often.

This is where they broke the formula. You DON'T have any time at all to line up your shots. the first level they present you with is a tiny little shack with about 30 zombies coming in from all angles. there is no margin of error at all, and to make matters worse you have a bumbling fool getting in your way too.

I totally agree that running and shooting is not realistic, and used that defense for RE4, but in this case they broke the zombie to stationary shooter ratio and totally broke the game.

but if you enjoy it more power to you. I love me some RE and am sad I won't be joining in this round unless I hear some really stellar reports that the demo was a bad example of typical gameplay.

This is why I put the big old disclaimer about not having played the demo above my post.  I still haven't played it yet, so I'm only talking about RE4.  It's totally possible that they broke it for RE5.  However, it's also possible that there's a learning curve to the game.  I know there was with RE4.  I also think that the first major firefight of RE4 was one of the harder sections of the game, as you had a lot of enemies, only a pistol, and limited ammo, while in later sections, you were much better prepared to fight the hordes.

Or, maybe they totally screwed up the game, and everyone should just go back to playing Left 4 Dead.  (Is it possible that the game's difficulty was balanced with having two live people playing, and having a bot makes things much harder?)

Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2009, 08:47:04 AM »

Well i already tried the 360 version of resident evil 5 quickly but downloaded it on ps3 today and it's still as horrible.    tearthumbsdown

I havent seen a game with worse animations this generation, it isnt scary at all, the co op partner is annoying rather than useful, the graphics are good but again the animations destroy it all, the controls are horrible and the AI is also horrible on both the co op partner when not playing online and the infected... Yes they are infected but that isnt an excuse for AI that cant do anything by itself.

Resident evil 5 feels like RE4 and no it really isnt good enough anymore and on top of that we get some annoying bith at your side, this game did nothing for me at all. Wasnt scary, wasnt good to play, wasnt that good looking mainly because of the worst animations this gen. I didnt like dead space much as i expected it to be very scary which it wasnt for me but atleast it had good gameplay unlike RE5.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2009, 12:54:28 PM »

It always amazes me how we can all get so passionate about something in a "game".  I guess that is why we here are all considered hardcore gamers.  It just boggles my mind how some people cannot seem to get past certain things.  Although, I guess I do understand somewhat.  I'm guilty of it too.  I could not play Gears of War because I absolutely could not stand the overly macho hulking dullards of characters that you play as.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2009, 01:37:24 PM »

Played the PS3 demo, my worst fears about the co-op play are true. The stupid B is useless and just gets in your way. After about 4 minutes of play time  she was already annoying the hell out of me. If I am aiming at zombies please for the love of god do not stand in front of me, stay the hell behind me. I will still buy this game and play through it, but I doubt it will be anywhere near as good as RE4 when it first came out.

I can look past the controls, I can look past the animations, but if I constantly have to shoot through the stupid partner then I will hate this game.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2009, 05:12:09 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 02, 2009, 11:46:24 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 02, 2009, 09:32:50 PM

enjoy

Or maybe not:  http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/News-270080.aspx

bah...oh well,i guess when i do get it i will have to get used to it

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2009, 05:56:10 PM »

I'm just worried playing a game entirely with an AI partner who not only is stupid (based on the descriptions here), and has limited ammo and health. Is this supposed to be fun?

It's one thing carting around somebody who'll automatically get out of your way when you pull your gun out, and will never fight back (RE4) - and one thing entirely with an AI partner who thinks they know how to do things better than you can.

I really need to play the demo.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2009, 06:16:44 PM »

I guess I'll be the dissenting opinion here. I just finished playing the first of the two levels on the PS3 demo, and I enjoyed it a lot! Had a huge grin on my face through the entire thing, and got through it in one attempt. I made sure to play it "properly" as well, so I immediately started pushing stuff in front of the entrances, and instead of trying to hole up in that shack (bad idea), I made sure to make a run for it as soon as an opportunity presented itself. My partner gave me ammo at one point when I was running low, and she got out of the way quickly if I pointed my gun in her direction. She also saved my ass when I didn't notice that a group of people had climbed over a hill to get behind me (one of them grabbed me, upon which she kicked him off me. I returned the favor later).

After running into the streets and getting a rough idea of how the place looked, I started climbing onto the rooftops. "Zombies" kept jumping and climbing after me (at one point surprising me by even climbing across a fence that I first thought would lead outside the map, and the big guy with the hammer was a good cue that I was long overdue for finding a different spot to take cover in. I kept running low on ammo, always finding another clip just when I was about to run out.

I was forced off the rooftops eventually, and was surrounded on street level. Ran towards a house and kicked in its door, ran straight through it and jumped out the window on the opposite side, buying me a bit more time. I holed myself up in a market of some kind, thinking I had reasonably good control over the choke points. Nope, the hammer-guy made his own access tunnel by smashing his way through the market. In the end I was trapped between him and a group of zombies, and I was low on health. Just when I thought I was going to die, the helicopter came to the rescue, saving the day.

It was amazing. smile

Edit: I think many people in this thread aren't aware of the 180-degree turn command. On the PS3, you pull backwards on the left stick while pressing X, and you immediately flip around. If you aren't aware of this command, I can see why you'd think the controls are sluggish. As it is, they felt just right.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 06:19:16 PM by TiLT » Logged
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2009, 03:37:08 AM »

I replayed the 2nd level tonight to finish the demo. The chainsaw guy was still a close call, but I managed to take the bastard out this time. I have to say that much like with RE4 I feel myself warming up to it. I'd still rather play it with the Wii controls, but I can't help but admire the graphics if only for the nice bump in resolution. I find the companion more helpful than annoying at this point (although she's definitely both), and it does add an interesting strategic part to the game in terms of inventory/ammo management. I still doubt I am in for full price, but I definitely want to play the game at some point.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2009, 07:33:09 PM »

I am one of the people in the camp that really wants to like RE games - but the only version I could ever get into even a little, was the Wii version - and that by keeping my left hand as far away from the right as possible.  No, wait - I managed a little longer in co-op RE Outbreak (poor Ascendant - he's still trying to recover from that experience.)  Mostly, it's been the no run-and-gun, because I have a hard time retraining myself to stop before shooting.  Just another example of Old Dog/ New Tricks...  tear

I DL'ed the demo of RE5 last night, waiting to be finally able to succeed at an RE game, not just endure... I don't think I made it past the first few screens.  I chose Controller type "C" also, btw - and I could swear I was running and gunning, though maybe I was only strafing?  I know that it felt a little better than other RE games.

What made me toss the controller in disgust (okay, I never really do that, they cost too much!) - was the camera controls.  I tried every possibility offered - invert this but not that, invert this and that, etc. - and no matter what I tried, I was still looking left when I wanted to look right.  I know, it makes no sense, but I gave it a decent try and all I managed was to shoot my partner in the back, and put a few holes in a few walls, with the cameras swinging wildly - like those home videos you see where the camera holder gets tossed in the air by a rampaging animal.   retard

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2009, 08:15:16 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on February 04, 2009, 07:33:09 PM

I am one of the people in the camp that really wants to like RE games - but the only version I could ever get into even a little, was the Wii version

That's me to a tee.

Only ever finished RE1 (on PC, no less) and RE4 on Wii, but I think I've tried all of them in one form or another.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2009, 09:22:31 PM »

Listened to the guys on the new version of the 1Up Yours podcast (called Listen Up) and they were discussing what they didn't like about the demo.  Basically, they felt that the game has evolved from being a survival horror game to being an action game because the game isn't really scary or anything.  They said that because of this, the crappy controls which worked for a survival horror game don't work for an action game.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2009, 09:31:41 PM »

In some ways I feel like I'm playing a different game than other people here. I find Sheva to be a very competent partner. She healed me immediately when I asked, kicked several zombies off my back, stomped a few that were on the ground, and followed my orders quickly. I had a huge smile on my face when several zombies were bearing down on me while I was reloading, and she suddenly came up from the side and gave a massive roundhouse kick that sent the group of enemies sprawling.  I was also happy to see that she can hold her own in a fistfight, and doesn't seem to burn through ammunition at a breakneck pace.

However, I do think they made a mistake of having her always three inches from your side. Slightly more proximity separation between the two of us would have been welcome. In the smaller rooms I felt like I was constantly nudging her out of my way.

I'll be grabbing the 360 version. The controls on the PS3 seemed too slippery in comparison to the xbox controller, but that could simply be due to my increased familiarity with Microsoft's controllers in FPS environments.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2009, 12:43:44 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 04, 2009, 09:22:31 PM

Listened to the guys on the new version of the 1Up Yours podcast (called Listen Up) and they were discussing what they didn't like about the demo.  Basically, they felt that the game has evolved from being a survival horror game to being an action game because the game isn't really scary or anything.  They said that because of this, the crappy controls which worked for a survival horror game don't work for an action game.

Maybe that makes more sense in the context of the podcast but that criticism could be equally leveled at RE4 but it didn't stop all of the critics from praising it to high heavens in all of it's incarnations. 
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2009, 07:55:09 AM »

I played through a bit of the demo on the PS3 today.  I don't know what to think.  My last exposure to the Resident Evil series was RE2 and Nemesis way back on the Playstation.  All I gotta say is that RE has really changed.   I mean come on-Resident Evil in the middle of the day?  The controls were fine I thought.  What I didn't like where the hundreds of zombies.  I liked it better when you had a room of two or three of them and barely enough ammo to make it count.  It really does feel too much like an action game these days.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2009, 08:22:53 AM »

I think Capcom may have messed up a bit by including the levels they did in the demo. If this is anything like RE4, you won't meet hordes of enemies very often. It's like making a demo for RE4 that features only the initial shootout in the village; it's a memorable scene, but it doesn't define the general gameplay.

Also, the main game will feature much more than just "zombies". We'll also see some pretty nasty creatures, including some that first appeared in earlier RE games (before RE4). The game also doesn't take place entirely in sunlight. What has been focused on in the ad campaigns, screenshots and videos so far has been almost exclusively from the first third of the game. The rest takes place in swamps and ruins (both in the dark), and a high-tech lab of some sort (to mention a few things I've seen in the trailers).
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2009, 01:28:58 PM »

It just so happens that Gametrailers is running a Resident Evil retrospective.  The first one was for the original Resident Evil of course.  Now THAT is what I want my resident evil to be like.  I want it to be dark and scary and make me feel weak and insignificant.  And I want to solve lots of puzzles-sure they may be out of place but they were still fun to solve.  What was the last Resident Evil to do that? Nemesis? Code Veronica?  How about RE4? Or was it mostly actiony?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2009, 02:04:55 PM »

Here's a video about a special feature they added to RE5:

http://www.videosift.com/video/The-Boob-Locator-Feature

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2009, 02:05:48 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 05, 2009, 01:28:58 PM

It just so happens that Gametrailers is running a Resident Evil retrospective.  The first one was for the original Resident Evil of course.  Now THAT is what I want my resident evil to be like.  I want it to be dark and scary and make me feel weak and insignificant.  And I want to solve lots of puzzles-sure they may be out of place but they were still fun to solve.  What was the last Resident Evil to do that? Nemesis? Code Veronica?  How about RE4? Or was it mostly actiony?

RE5 is a carbon copy of RE4 so you probably aren't interested in RE4.  

If you want the old style RE, then I would just play through RE0-3 (though a lot of people dislike RE0) and Code Veronica so that you can get the full story.  If you just want to play through a single title that epitomizes that style then REmake would probably be the best choice.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: