http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 12:23:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resident Evil 5 demo coming 26th  (Read 8292 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2009, 05:26:14 PM »

week of 26th January and premiering exclusively on xbox 360..as says Major Nelson

3 levels of Co-Op play,single player with AI support or 2 player split screen/XBL

http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/01/14/resident-evil-5-demo-premiering-exclusively-on-xbox-360.aspx

Resident Evil 5 Demo premiering exclusively on Xbox 360
Resident Evil 5 will launch on Friday, March 13th but you’ll be able to get your hands on a two-level playable demo the week of January 26th. According to Capcom, the demo will have has three levels of co-op play: single-player with AI support, two-player split-screen on a single Xbox 360 and two-player across Xbox LIVE.

not sure of that means a two level single player and a 3 level co-op

actually it says week of 26th January,so i guess it could be anytime that week
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 06:06:41 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 05:32:18 PM »

I think he's referring to different kinds of "levels"  The demo has two game levels, and there are three ways (or "levels") that you can play co-op.  Awkward phrasing FTW!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 05:46:55 PM »

he should have said modes.  you can't go wrong with modes.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 06:06:13 PM »

ahh i see thanks for the clear up

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 06:44:47 PM »

I'll be checking it out!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 08:49:01 PM »

For PS3 owners, the demo will arrive on PSN February 5th.

I'm torn, to be honest. I can't wait for this game, which makes me want to play the demo ASAP. On the other hand, I don't want to spoil the experience for when the full game is out. What to do, what to do...
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 10:26:51 PM »

I am most definitely in because I am trying to convince a buddy, who never played ANY RE game, that this will be the single best coop experience of our gaming lives (which I personally believe). So, this demo will be played by us as soon as I can get it downloaded. 

Working my 5th time through RE4 right now and gotta say it is as good on this run as the first.  Loooovvvveeee it.  In all its tankish control goodness!  I'm glad they did not change that. 

Come on the 26th!

I am Xboxalot on Live.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 10:57:11 AM »

its now up..so go get....go,go,go

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 03:13:23 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 26, 2009, 10:57:11 AM

so, don't expect to have a decent XBL connection anytime today?  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 03:46:51 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 26, 2009, 03:13:23 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 26, 2009, 10:57:11 AM

so, don't expect to have a decent XBL connection anytime today?  icon_wink

It's actually under 500MB.  Mine downloaded surprisingly fast (granted, it was at 8AM, so YMMV).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 04:14:42 PM »

Set my download up this morning, and then turned off the console.  I'm pretty sure I'll have it by the time I get home tonight.  biggrin

somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 04:45:33 PM »

I had time to put in a few quick rounds.

it plays just like RE4. Which is either good or bad depending on viewpoint. I couldn't find the "action" controls. I'll dig for those next time.

I found it a little disorienting to not be able to move at all while using the knife or a gun, it never bothered me before but it really does this time.

I couldn't skip the cutscenes, either. I hope that isn't the case in the full game because I can tell I'll be replaying sections often.

I'll hold my judgment until I play a few more rounds but first impression wasn't great.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 04:45:53 PM »

Played the two levels up until the boss fights, which I wasn't able to beat. Very difficult game and the controls are pretty much the same as RE4. I'm struggling to get used to controlling it with a gamepad since I only ever played RE4 on the Wii. Graphics are really nice, the partner AI is good, and the "zombies" are sufficiently creepy. However, if you didn't like 4 because of the controls you're not going to feel any differently about 5.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 04:46:22 PM »

Quote from: somoflange on January 26, 2009, 04:45:33 PM

I had time to put in a few quick rounds.

it plays just like RE4. Which is either good or bad depending on viewpoint. I couldn't find the "action" controls. I'll dig for those next time.

I found it a little disorienting to not be able to move at all while using the knife or a gun, it never bothered me before but it really does this time.

I couldn't skip the cutscenes, either. I hope that isn't the case in the full game because I can tell I'll be replaying sections often.

I'll hold my judgment until I play a few more rounds but first impression wasn't great.

You can skip the cutscenes by hitting the back button.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 05:17:19 PM »

i didnt like how it feel like a co-op game when i was playing the single player....and still not sure why my characater cant move when shooting,lets all the bad guys surround you,while you have to stop,aim and shoot...and no shooting on its own,you have to stop to aim(you can't just press the RT to shoot)..and manual loading can only be done through the item page,it only automatically reloads if you run out of bullets..other than that it was decent enough,second level was better than the first

finding the machine gun in the case at the bottom half of the first level was a big help

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 05:41:16 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 26, 2009, 05:17:19 PM

i didnt like how it feel like a co-op game when i was playing the single player....and still not sure why my characater cant move when shooting,lets all the bad guys surround you,while you have to stop,aim and shoot...and no shooting on its own,you have to stop to aim(you can't just press the RT to shoot)..and manual loading can only be done through the item page,it only automatically reloads if you run out of bullets..other than that it was decent enough,second level was better than the first

finding the machine gun in the case at the bottom half of the first level was a big help

You can reload by aiming (LT) and pressing A.

I played through as much of the two levels as I could muster.  There'd better be an Easy mode, or I'm out.  I enjoyed RE4 on the Wii tremendously, but I had tried it on the Gamecube, and I couldn't get into it at all, due to controls and the difficulty.  But the Wii felt just right.

Movement's a little less awkward this time around, but it does feel like we should be able to shoot while running, in this day and age.  I'm sure the developers would say that it's the RE style, but so was the absolutely terrible movement scheme of RE 0-3 before that, and they got rid of that.  It's not as much a deal-breaker for me as the difficulty, though.  I just won't have the patience.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 05:41:54 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on January 26, 2009, 04:45:53 PM

However, if you didn't like 4 because of the controls you're not going to feel any differently about 5.

Looks like I am out for RE5 then.  mad

I'm not even going to bother with this demo.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 05:43:37 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 05:54:32 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 26, 2009, 05:41:54 PM

Quote from: godhugh on January 26, 2009, 04:45:53 PM

However, if you didn't like 4 because of the controls you're not going to feel any differently about 5.

Looks like I am out for RE5 then.  mad

I'm not even going to bother with this demo.

Oh I'll be giving the demo a whirl to confirm my displeasure for this gaming formula.

TheMissingLink on PSN
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 06:27:16 PM »

Shane Bettenhausen put it best on the final episode of 1Up Yours....they need to lasso the impossible beast that is walking while shooting.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 07:41:06 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 26, 2009, 05:41:16 PM

I played through as much of the two levels as I could muster.  There'd better be an Easy mode, or I'm out.  I enjoyed RE4 on the Wii tremendously, but I had tried it on the Gamecube, and I couldn't get into it at all, due to controls and the difficulty.  But the Wii felt just right.

damn it Bull.....that could of been written by me...the way you are running around in circles,and swamped by a million of them on that first level,made me quit and look to see if the demo had an easy option

if this game was coming out for the Wii,i think i would get that...the controls,although took some getting used to,were great for resi 4

and yeah the reload,i just meant you couldnt reload your gun outside of the inventory unless you ran out of bullets...if i had two bullets left,i would of liked to of reloaded fully before i start shooting again,without having to go into the menu...reminds me of the Garand in the Call of Duty games,LOL

second level was better than the first,but how do you kill that guy with the chainsaw?..i swear i threw everything at him,blew up the oil drums with him next to them,wasted all my ammo onto him(and hers),the only thing i missed with was the electricity thing hanging off the telegraph pole..are you meant to hit him with that?

and why is it,that when you are fine and shooting away easily disposeing of the bad guys that your 'partner' also shoots along...wheras when you are in the thick of it,shooting away and bringing up the menu(and still getting attacked)to give her ammo...she does nothing?!?!?!..she doesnt even use the ammo i gave her when we are in the thick of things..i can see the 'partner' as being a big problem for me in the game

it maybe one of those that you buy the game,whiz through the game to get the story,and then trade the game

oh and one more thing(sorry)..this game at the moment hasn't got any of the suspense of past games...maybe there will be some levels at night icon_neutral....resi 4 had it,definetly

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 07:44:40 PM »

It sounds like my worst fears for the co-op gameplay may be true. I loved RE 4, but If I had to babysit a brain dead AI team mate the entire time, the game would have been ruined. I hope the team mate isn't annoying.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 09:02:43 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 26, 2009, 07:41:06 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 26, 2009, 05:41:16 PM

damn it Bull.....that could of been written by me...

You are my doppleganger from across the pond.  Maybe next time we're at camp, we should get our parents together.

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 26, 2009, 07:41:06 PM

and yeah the reload,i just meant you couldnt reload your gun outside of the inventory unless you ran out of bullets...if i had two bullets left,i would of liked to of reloaded fully before i start shooting again,without having to go into the menu...reminds me of the Garand in the Call of Duty games,LOL

Actually, though, you can reload in-game.  Just hit A while you're aiming.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:49:22 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Simon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »

Not being able to run and shoot killed it for me, went from partially interested into no interest whatsoever.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 01:56:59 AM »

Oh my god, it's the SAME GAME.  Recycled animations, recycled sound effects, same shitty control scheme, same barrels to smash...

But now with a dumb inventory + babysitting a co-op teammate if you're not co-op with a human.

Ugh.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 02:20:05 AM »

I'm definitely fine with the most of the controls.  I've always seen the controls as a gameplay and pacing decision.  If you changed it so you could move and shoot, you would have to rebalance the zombies so they were much more difficult to balance it out.  That and I know first hand how hard it is to move and shoot in real life, but also for more casual gamers.

It sounds like, unfortunately, they didn't change much else besides the big switch to Africa.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2009, 02:53:14 AM »

While I ended up "getting used too" the controls of RE4, and finished it I'm not sure If I can do it again. I want to like this game but there stubborn insistence on the movement/aiming may be too much this time. After playing through Dead Space last year trying to play RE5 is just a step backwards for me. I don't care about having to re-balance the zombies, if its needed then do it. Its 2008 Capcom not 1998.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2009, 04:08:49 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 27, 2009, 02:20:05 AM

I've always seen the controls as a gameplay and pacing decision.  If you changed it so you could move and shoot, you would have to rebalance the zombies so they were much more difficult to balance it out.  That and I know first hand how hard it is to move and shoot in real life, but also for more casual gamers.

I'm not a game developer but I'll throw a freebie out there.

If you're moving make your aim shaky.  If you're standing still make your aim steadier.  Rainbow Six did this ten years ago.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2009, 05:26:39 AM »

There's supposed to be an alternate control system in the game, made to resemble Gears of War controls. Isn't that available in the demo?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2009, 01:20:52 PM »

I'm definitely fine with the most of the controls.  I've always seen the controls as a gameplay and pacing decision.  If you changed it so you could move and shoot, you would have to rebalance the zombies so they were much more difficult to balance it out.  That and I know first hand how hard it is to move and shoot in real life, but also for more casual gamers.

It sounds like, unfortunately, they didn't change much else besides the big switch to Africa.

That's true.  In real life, I do have to stop to shoot zombies, usually.

Like warning said, there are ways to compensate in design.

There are four control schemes available in the demo, but they all seem to require you to stop and shoot.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2009, 04:05:11 PM »

speaking as someone who preferred most of the previous games in the series to re4 (yes, some of us actually exist smile ), i'm not sure why anyone would expect anything other than this: capcom goes ahead & finally does a revision of a classic series, & it results in massive sales & critical praise (up to & including 'best game evah!') - so they're gonna mess with success? i don't think so, at least not the first time out, anyway...

what confuses me is: if not being able to move & shoot is such a major problem, how has the game ended up becoming so hugely popular? i'm serious - i just don't get it. is it something that doesn't really bother most people, or do most people just silently suffer through it?...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2009, 04:32:09 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on January 27, 2009, 04:05:11 PM

speaking as someone who preferred most of the previous games in the series to re4 (yes, some of us actually exist smile ), i'm not sure why anyone would expect anything other than this: capcom goes ahead & finally does a revision of a classic series, & it results in massive sales & critical praise (up to & including 'best game evah!') - so they're gonna mess with success? i don't think so, at least not the first time out, anyway...

I agree... I'm not sure what people were expecting.  This is Capcom we're talking about - once they find a winning formula, they're going to milk it for all it's worth.  The basics of RE4 are still there, with a new locale, new storyline, HD graphics, and co-op.  That seems like a worthwhile upgrade if you're an RE fan.

what confuses me is: if not being able to move & shoot is such a major problem, how has the game ended up becoming so hugely popular? i'm serious - i just don't get it. is it something that doesn't really bother most people, or do most people just silently suffer through it?...

Eh, I think it's a relatively small number of people - they just complain loudly smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2009, 05:28:37 PM »

I'm just not sure if I can play a RE game again without light-gun style shooting (as in the Wii version of RE4). The game was just SO perfect with it in. Now I gotta go back to analog stick shooting.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2009, 05:32:27 PM »

i have started to play Dead Space today....thats does well keeping the suspense up,while at the same time being able to shoot and move,in fact it does a great job(as its also a third person over the shoulder shooter)...would of been great if Resi Evil was similar

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2009, 06:05:59 PM »

After playing the DEMO, I am cancelling my pre-order. I was hoping they would modify the control scheme, but they didn't.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2009, 06:21:30 PM »

I honestly think sales will fall as a result of the demo.

I can't see how anyone coming in to the game, not having played RE4 (and face it, that could be a lot of folks who just jumped into the "next-gen" world), would LIKE the controls.

I think the demo is going to kill any interest from newcomers who think the game looks cool, but have no idea how it plays.

TheMissingLink on PSN
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2009, 09:21:57 PM »

I honestly didn't notice that you couldn't move while shooting with the Wii version of RE4 because I don't know if I would play it that way anyway. The lightgun style controls were such a perfect match.

I tried the game on the Gamecube and remember having some issues then, but even in that game the zombies tended to come from a distance, you could see them shuffling at you and take time to take aim. These new environments seem to have a higher number of targets and I just got overwhelmed way too easily.

I have a feeling it's a case of choosing the wrong levels for a demo. I agree this will likely hurt the game's sales, and has put the game in my "when it's under 30 bucks" category.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2009, 01:20:12 AM »

Ya know I loved RE4 when I played it, but after playing Dead Space (and loving it) this was just bleh to me.  Cancelled my pre-order.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2009, 01:18:19 PM »

It's not that bad at all.  I'm using controller type "C".  Much easier with the strafing capability.  I'm actually better at aiming with the left thumbstick and shooting with the "X" button.  You have to approach the RE games as if it's a stealth or strategy type of game and not a Halo or Gears type shooter.  If you are able to do that then you can enjoy the game immensely.  If you can't then forget it and move on.

You need to make sure you have distance from the zombies as much as possible.  I was able to beat the demo by positioning my back to a wall or something and concentrating on what's in front of me.  When things get hairy I move (i.e., run) further away from the mass, position myself again and fire away.  It's a strategy game.  Take your time.  Position yourself (location! location! location!), fire, move and then repeat.  That is the way it is designed.  And it is so much fun.  A few of the zombies surprised me by running and then pulling up right before they get to you and even bending down to avoid head shots.  icon_eek  Startled me to say the least.

The AI partner did not bother me.  The only change I would have made was not having her be so close to me.  Sometimes she tends to run ahead.  But overall I like having her with me.  There were a few times she gave me ammo and healed me in the thick of battle and that turned out to be a life saver.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2009, 01:29:28 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 27, 2009, 06:21:30 PM

I honestly think sales will fall as a result of the demo.

Totally agree, but I will still be one getting it.  Just too much of a fan of the whole series.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2009, 02:17:49 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on January 29, 2009, 01:18:19 PM

It's not that bad at all...

good info - thanks! i'm also from the mikeg school: wasn't all that crazy about re4, but, hey, it's resident evil, so i just shut up & play anyway smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: