http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 04:52:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resident Evil 4 sucks. You know it is true.  (Read 6670 times)
Glycerine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2006, 07:46:08 PM »

Gonna have to agree with LE on this one.  If you can't see why this game kicks ass, it must be because you just suck...plain and simple.  Maybe you should try something a little slower and easier like...oh, I don't know...Barbie Horse Adventures?  Gabe from Penny Arcade is a fan, so it just might be worth trying out.  If nothing else, at least you won't have any problems with the controls.

Glycerine

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2006, 07:46:58 PM »

Quote from: "Glycerine"
Gonna have to agree with LE on this one.  If you can't see why this game kicks ass, it must be because you just suck...plain and simple.
I'll go further and say that if you don't like RE4, you're a terrorist.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2006, 08:00:14 PM »

I usually get easily frustrated with games with poor control schemes, but I have no problem with RE4.  I think part of it is the context-sensitive commands (like jumping through windows, knocking down ladders, hitting buttons fast to run, etc).  I think we're going to see a lot more of this in games now, as it allows the player to have a large move arsenal, while still making player skill important, but not overwhelming the player with tons of commands to learn.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2006, 08:09:41 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Quote from: "Starshifter"
I could go on and on about all the things I didn't like in DQVIII but why annoy the people who truly enjoyed it?  That wouldn't accomplish anything anyway.  :wink:
It'd result in meeting me at your doorstep right before I break your kneecaps.  Don't you want to meet me?!

Very nice, laugh out loud.  :  thumbsup
unbreakable
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2006, 08:13:08 PM »

The controls were the main thing I hated to the point of yelling at the TV in RE0.  If RE4 is more of the same, maybe I'll just take a pass.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2006, 08:51:58 PM »

Gonna have to agree with LE on this one.  If you can't see why this game kicks ass, it must be because you just suck...plain and simple.

I'll go a step further and say that if you don't call for, nay demand RE5 to have your character's shoes tied together and one arm duct taped to your back and your only weapons are a Bic lighter and a toothbrush then you are not a true gamer.  Remember the controls are designed to add to the tension and what could be more tense than my scenario?

It's all about the tension you anti-terrorist!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2006, 09:08:38 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

I'll go a step further and say that if you don't call for, nay demand RE5 to have your character's shoes tied together and one arm duct taped to your back and your only weapons are a Bic lighter and a toothbrush then you are not a true gamer.  Remember the controls are designed to add to the tension and what could be more tense than my scenario?

It's all about the tension you anti-terrorist!

If the weapons don't degrade, then I won't buy it!!!
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2006, 09:37:16 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
I think part of it is the context-sensitive commands (like jumping through windows, knocking down ladders, hitting buttons fast to run, etc).  I think we're going to see a lot more of this in games now, as it allows the player to have a large move arsenal, while still making player skill important, but not overwhelming the player with tons of commands to learn.

That's an excellent point, and something I hadn't even really thought about before now.  All the great variety in the game is largely accomplished through the context-sensitivity of the A button.  smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2006, 09:45:51 PM »

I grew to hate RE4 too, mainly 'cause of the controls and the save system. When it comes to games in general, I'll come to close to replaying a firefight forever if I have to as long as I can save right afterwards. I loath having to replay a section that I successfully passed because of the game's save system. That goes for any game. If it's a matter of making a game more "difficult", I'd much rather take any other form of gameplay change the likes of: my character has less health, does less damage, enemies have more health, do more damage, are quicker, smarter, more accurate, etc. Just don't hold me back with such an artificial handicap.

And on the whole, I agree with the beaming praise for RE4. I thought it was an awesome game, but one that I just didn't mesh with. I wanted a third person WASD-like shooter, but instead was given limited controls that frustrated me instantly. And I invested a lot of time in the game, got to the long tram/minecar/rail assault after the strange underground mud hut village, but was burned by a save game screw up and then just gave up. Totally a bittersweet experience.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2006, 10:08:40 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
I.. I invested a lot of time in the game, got to the long tram/minecar/rail assault after the strange underground mud hut village, but was burned by a save game screw up and then just gave up. Totally a bittersweet experience.

Oh God, the mine-car.  I HATED that part.  That was badly designed. Too long with a death oppurtunity right at the end of it, forcing you to replay the long section.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2006, 11:43:26 PM »

I finished RE4 three times last year.  And this from someone who rarely finishes a game once, let alone multiple times.

---

As others have pointed out, while the control scheme is in some ways similar to the RE games of old, it's the camera that makes all the difference (fixed angles as opposed to over-the-shoulder). To see just how improved the RE4 control is over the previous games - go back and try to play one of them after a few hours of RE4.   The "tank" controls of the old games never really bothered me before, but they feel so clunky now that I have RE4 to compare it to.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2006, 11:48:59 PM »

Quote from: "Bob"
Oh God, the mine-car.  I HATED that part.  That was badly designed. Too long with a death oppurtunity right at the end of it, forcing you to replay the long section.

got thru it maybe the fifth go-round, mostly because (& i found this true thru the whole game) i couldn't get the 'a' button to kick in as well as the 'l+r' buttons...

i'm surprised this threads gone on so long - almost tempted to start a 'god of war sucks' thread (well, if it was really worth the effort)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2006, 03:54:51 PM »

I picked this up for the PS2 last night and I keep on screwing up when I go to shoot.  My instinct is to move while shooting so I end up aiming at the ground or the sky as I get pounded.  The part that doesn't make much sense to me is why it's the same way with the knife;  it seems impractical to use (it may get easier as I play more though) as you pretty much have to be pressing up against the enemy and they can usually hit you or grapple with you before you get that close.

Personally I'm hoping there aren't too many sequences like the one where you have to outrun the boulder.  It took me a few tries to dodge it as I misread the trigger buttons, and once I finally figured out what I was doing wrong it changed them on me.  Also, I must have messed up on the 'defend the house' portion as I just ran upstairs after the chainsaw cutscene, dived out one of the windows and beelined it for the tower, which triggered another cut scene.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2006, 04:22:50 PM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
My instinct is to move while shooting so I end up aiming at the ground or the sky as I get pounded.

Same here for me for about the first 10-15 minutes of the game and then I was use to it - and loved it!

Personally I'm hoping there aren't too many sequences like the one where you have to outrun the boulder.  It took me a few tries to dodge it as I misread the trigger buttons, and once I finally figured out what I was doing wrong it changed them on me.

They are scattered about the game (not too many) and it through me for a loop when they changed it too.  I wasn't expecting that.  But, it keeps you on your toes!  And they do that often (switching).  Don't expect the same combo every time.  Although, it's usually just two:  LT+RT and A/B buttons.  So, not that bad to remember.  Just be prepared.

Quote from: "Ceekay"
Also, I must have messed up on the 'defend the house' portion as I just ran upstairs after the chainsaw cutscene, dived out one of the windows and beelined it for the tower, which triggered another cut scene.

No, no, no!  The "defend the house" doesn't come till much later in the game after you have found the girl.  You will know it when you get to it.  If you ever watched a zombie movie with people boarded up in a house while the zombies tried to get in from all directions, then you have a chance to live that in this game.  What an incredible heart-pounding sequence forever emblazoned on my brain!

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
warning

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2006, 05:02:06 PM »

I picked this up for the PS2 last night and I keep on screwing up when I go to shoot.  My instinct is to move while shooting so I end up aiming at the ground or the sky as I get pounded.  The part that doesn't make much sense to me is why it's the same way with the knife;  it seems impractical to use (it may get easier as I play more though) as you pretty much have to be pressing up against the enemy and they can usually hit you or grapple with you before you get that close.

The first rule of RE4's Crappy Controls Club is you don't talk about RE4's Crappy Controls Club.

Remember no matter how many times you want to break your controller because you want to do something simple like walk and shoot a gun but can't - remember the controls are designed that way to increase the tension.  The crappy controls are actually there to help you enjoy the game.  Get it?   Tongue
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2006, 06:15:03 PM »

I recently hit the infamous mine car sequence, and holy crap that part was awesome.  Even cleared it on the first try!

Spoiler for Hiden:

You know, you can shoot out the boards coming up instead of trying to dodge them; I just assumed that's what I was supposed to do, and didn't know you could dodge them until you guys were talking about it in this thread

Still absolutely loving this game.  Hit chapter 5-1 last night and I'm thinking I must be on the home stretch.  smile

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2006, 06:53:48 PM »

Darn CeeKay.

I meant to warn you about warning.  Don't let his delusions ruin what is going to be a fantastic ride for you.

In fact, pretend he doesn't exist.  :wink:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
warning

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2006, 07:55:07 PM »

Darn CeeKay.

I meant to warn you about warning.  Don't let his delusions ruin what is going to be a fantastic ride for you.

In fact, pretend he doesn't exist.  :wink:

Hehe.  Tongue

Enjoy!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2006, 09:33:44 PM »

To each his/her own I guess. [...]  Unlike warning, I don't get all twisted about the "realism" thing [...] I guess it's why I like most games.  I usually don't nit pick.  

Hehe. Not the best person to go for a discerning review of a game then. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2006, 10:01:10 PM »

Heh... I am nitpicky and I still love RE4.  At first I thought I'd hate the controls until I got used to them and even got to where now I rather like them.  smile

O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2006, 07:11:05 AM »

I finished the game for the PS2 and I'm currently playing it for the second time. I started the game in December, then I stopped playing for a month or two. I felt a bit disappointed. But one day I felt like playing it and I did, and it got better and better, and towards the end I couldn't stop playing it. The only place that got frustrating is that...

SPOILERS

... knife fight with Krauser. I watched Leon die so many times, it was ridiculous. Still, I beat it, and now I consider it a pretty cool moment in the game.

/SPOILERS

Yeah, the control sucked in the beginning but I got used to them after a while. I think they really work for what the game is trying to do.

Now I just go through the game kicking ass. I bought the Chicago Typewriter a few missions back, and I will have my vengeance for all the times I died in the first play-through :twisted:

My smile still stays on.
Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2006, 03:12:23 PM »

Although I agree, some of the 'rules' for controlling the character are ridiculous, after a while I forgot that they bothered me and enjoyed the game.

I had a total blast, damn addicting, good length (if anything, it might've went on ALMOST too long for my tastes), great mini-games within, and even more great unlockables after!

My favourite game for the 'Cube. Cool

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2008, 08:08:16 PM »

Looking to revive a thread about Resident Evil 4, and I thought this one provided some good memories.

Questions about the rest of the game from where I'm at...I JUST finished 2-3, which puts me at
Spoiler for Hiden:
the castle.

1) Is the game compelling at this point?  I've always been interested in stuff that isn't just in the village area, and was wondering if people enjoyed the part that I'm at...

2) Does the game stay this hard?  I consider myself somewhat skilled at video games, but man, I've died tons of times already.  This game is freaking hard!  Does it get any easier?

I think that's it!  Have fun reading some funny posts in this thread...

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2008, 09:02:22 PM »

1) I thought the entire game was compelling. Not exactly the greatest story ever told, but the gameplay was lots of fun.

2) The game tends to remain quite difficult the entire way through. Make sure you aim for the head, and blast everything from far away (unless you're intending to shotty a bunch of guys close by).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2008, 09:04:46 PM »

Erm, sometimes the head isn't the best place to shoot.   paranoid

Try the leg to make them fall, then pop the head.
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2008, 09:11:16 PM »

Use a rocket launcher.  It usually does the trick.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2008, 09:22:38 PM »

Play Bioshock.   icon_biggrin

(sorry... couldn't resist)
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »

Quote from: Turtle
Try the leg to make them fall, then pop the head.

Or, while they're getting back to their feet, run up and use your kick / suplex move to deal out heavy damage without spending any ammo.  It can be a risky tactic until you get the timing down properly, but it can be a life saver when you're tight on supplies.

-Autistic Angel
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2008, 09:29:33 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 20, 2008, 09:23:00 PM

...but it can be a life saver when you're tight on supplies.

I'm always tight on supplies!  Namely, AMMO.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2008, 09:41:07 PM »

1.  Yes, the entire game is compelling.  You're probably only halfway through.  There is a lot more variety to locations and/or gameplay than the initial footage showed.  It just keeps getting better as it goes along.

2.  Difficulty is relatively consistent throughout.  The Wii version is much easier than the others by virtue of the superior control scheme.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2008, 10:12:07 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on July 20, 2008, 09:29:33 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 20, 2008, 09:23:00 PM

...but it can be a life saver when you're tight on supplies.
I'm always tight on supplies!  Namely, AMMO.

I was always a crack shot (and rarely, if ever, did the 'shoot in leg then kick them in the head trick) on the Gamecube version and didn't have ammo problems. The Wii version is even easier as far as shooting goes.

To each their own though. Just remain calm, take your time shooting, and bring out the shotty if they get too clumped up and too close to you. Just keep in mind that that trick won't always work on some of the bigger guys.

And yes, I know that the headshot doesn't always work. I was trying to avoid giving anything away.  paranoid

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2008, 10:55:46 PM »

By amazing coincidence, I fired this up for the first time in a long time on a save game near the end of chapter 1 and got to the exact same spot you are at.

Quote from: TheMissingLink on July 20, 2008, 08:08:16 PM

1) Is the game compelling at this point?  I've always been interested in stuff that isn't just in the village area, and was wondering if people enjoyed the part that I'm at...

Yes. If anything it gets even better as you go on from here.
2) Does the game stay this hard?  I consider myself somewhat skilled at video games, but man, I've died tons of times already.  This game is freaking hard!  Does it get any easier?

Overall it stays about the same, though there are 2 particularly hard parts (1 super hard new type of enemy and 1 ridiculously hard boss fight) that you haven't made it to yet.

Stick with it. Once you win it you get to restart with all your equipment which is tons and tons of fun.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2008, 11:15:36 PM »

Quote from: warning on July 20, 2008, 09:22:38 PM

Play Bioshock.   icon_biggrin

no, he just has to make sure to keep moving around and circle strafing as he shoots  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2008, 11:57:56 PM »

Quote from: JCC on July 20, 2008, 10:55:46 PM

Stick with it. Once you win it you get to restart with all your equipment which is tons and tons of fun.

Especially if you earn enough money on your first run to get the Tommy Gun. biggrin

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2008, 08:53:19 PM »

Waay late to this particular party - and I only noticed it was an old thread because of LE and Shifty having posted.  icon_eek

I agree with everything Warning said, except for the cheese-eating part.  I haven't seen a single zombie eating cheese... though they do rather look like half-eaten cheeses.

To any and all that criticized folks for not adjusting themselves to the controls, try to bear in mind that GT is not a children's site.  Some of us - yeah, me included - fall into the category of old dogs trying to learn new tricks.  It's not as easy as you young'uns (I'm sure that's a dbt quote, lol) might think. And did you know?  There are also people with disabilities and physical and mental differences that impede the ability to switch controls on a whim. I swear it.

If I'd been born way later than I was, I'd say I must have been born with a 360 controller in my hand.  Most 360 games have controls that are either more intuitive for me, or can be changed to my liking in Options.  That is one reason I couldn't play RE4 on the Cube, but am learning how on the Wii.  The controls are different enough to make it so my moves aren't all run by past learned response.  I even keep my left hand on the couch so that it enhances the differences.  I shoot the ground about 30% less frequently now...

I've been playing FF-12 for weeks now, and I still look to the right when I want to look left.  It's finally starting to change, which of course means that I'll be screwed when I go back to a game with Halo-like controls.  crybaby

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2008, 09:06:44 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on July 21, 2008, 08:53:19 PM

I've been playing FF-12 for weeks now, and I still look to the right when I want to look left.  It's finally starting to change, which of course means that I'll be screwed when I go back to a game with Halo-like controls.  crybaby

You know, I thought you could change how the camera rotates on the left/right in the options. Or was it only up/down?

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2008, 09:18:08 PM »

Yeah, it was only up/down, Destructor - which is a way bigger problem for me anyway, so I was glad that was available.  For the right/left, I use the right analog click to center the camera - of course, it's in the wrong direction sometimes, but I play on Slow mode which gives me some time to correct, lol.   icon_biggrin

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2008, 03:40:15 AM »

I'll go back and try RE4 again at some point.  I got to the point where EVERYONE starts swarming you (15 min in?) and died, and gave up because I couldn't do exactly what Warning wanted:  Back up and fire.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2008, 06:05:28 AM »

I thought the game sucked as a Resident Evil game, but worked out well as an action game in it's own right. It wasn't scary or creepy whatsoever though and that is pretty much what I play RE games for.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Jubei
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2008, 12:14:48 PM »

Well for anyone who didnt lyk RE4 your gonna hate res evil 5 because its exactly the same, but in the bright african sunshine, say goodbye to playing this at night with the lights turned off, resevil has turned hollywood style action and about as scary as a kitten wearing a pikachu outfit.
Will be fun to play co-op with friends though.
Im waiting for the New silent hill for scares.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: