http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 05:58:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resident Evil 4 Impressions  (Read 16866 times)
Dafones
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2005, 07:12:15 AM »

What the hell happened here? I go take a breezy look at some thread about martial arts and suddenly vagabond is all in a huff. Peace, vagabanned. Sucks this place got on your nerves so much.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
warning

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2005, 12:21:33 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
What the hell happened here? I go take a breezy look at some thread about martial arts and suddenly vagabond is all in a huff. Peace, vagabanned. Sucks this place got on your nerves so much.

Vagabond has received numerous warnings both in public and in private to curb his insults.  Sadly, this seemed to be something he could not/would not do.  And that's a shame because when he was not insulting people he often had some thought-provoking things to say.  Live and learn (hopefully).
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2005, 02:45:21 PM »

The learning phase is over.  Re-editing a post that I edited is a no-no and he damned well knows that.  He's banned and I'd have to have a fairly compelling reason to let him back in the door.  When my staff has to spend 98% of their moderation energy on him and 2% on everyone else, well...seems like simple math to me.

Now, back to the impressions already in progress. slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2005, 04:13:52 PM »

ouch man ouch lol.  

Anyway, in an effort to get this on a more troll free RE4 note, i wanted to know what you guys think of the game from a character stand point.  

I love salazzar.  he is an awsome bad guy, even with that napolean complex.  
Leon on the other hand bugs me.  He says the dumbest stuff, like that kumbahya line at the begining of the game.

AttA
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2005, 05:27:37 PM »

I love salazzar. he is an awsome bad guy, even with that napolean complex.
Leon on the other hand bugs me. He says the dumbest stuff, like that kumbahya line at the begining of the game.

agree & agree. personality-wise, the leon/ashley combo is hands-down the worst leading pair in the re series (which, given the quality of both the evil boss & luis, is made to look worse still, & is just plain strange)...

while i wasn't crazy about chris redfield or the previous version of leon, i didn't dislike them. i just don't like the leads in this game...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 27, 2005, 07:34:46 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
I love salazzar. he is an awsome bad guy, even with that napolean complex.
Leon on the other hand bugs me. He says the dumbest stuff, like that kumbahya line at the begining of the game.

agree & agree. personality-wise, the leon/ashley combo is hands-down the worst leading pair in the re series (which, given the quality of both the evil boss & luis, is made to look worse still, & is just plain strange)...

while i wasn't crazy about chris redfield or the previous version of leon, i didn't dislike them. i just don't like the leads in this game...

to me it speaks volumes about how good the game is.   There has got to be something there if people keep playing a story driven game despite hating the 2 main characters

Leeeoooon Helpp!!! ievery time i hear that these days i fantasize about putting a round in that bitch's head.

AttA
PhoenixRising
BANNED
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 27, 2005, 08:02:23 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
The learning phase is over.  Re-editing a post that I edited is a no-no and he damned well knows that.  He's banned and I'd have to have a fairly compelling reason to let him back in the door.  When my staff has to spend 98% of their moderation energy on him and 2% on everyone else, well...seems like simple math to me.

Now, back to the impressions already in progress. slywink

Banned people don't talk here.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 27, 2005, 08:12:38 PM »

nevermind  lol.

AttA
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 27, 2005, 08:14:35 PM »

to me it speaks volumes about how good the game is. There has got to be something there if people keep playing a story driven game despite hating the 2 main characters

this is true - i'm trying to think of the last game i stuck with despite disliking the main characters, & i'm drawing a blank smile ... like i said, there're a number of games where i don't care either way (shin megami tensei being the most recent), but a game like tales of symphonia, where i flat-out dislike everybody, i kinda tend to just put away til trade-in time smile ...

oh, yeah - i neglected to mention steve, from code veronica. him, i genuinely disliked (but at least they were smart enough to hook him up with the number one kick-ass re lead of all time, claire)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 27, 2005, 08:18:49 PM »

to me it speaks volumes about how good the game is. There has got to be something there if people keep playing a story driven game despite hating the 2 main characters

this is true - i'm trying to think of the last game i stuck with despite disliking the main characters, & i'm drawing a blank smile ... like i said, there're a number of games where i don't care either way (shin megami tensei being the most recent), but a game like tales of symphonia, where i flat-out dislike everybody, i kinda tend to just put away til trade-in time smile ...

oh, yeah - i neglected to mention steve, from code veronica. him, i genuinely disliked (but at least they were smart enough to hook him up with the number one kick-ass re lead of all time, claire)...

Damn it all i wish i had played this RE.  i never had a DC so i missed it.

AttA
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 27, 2005, 09:20:12 PM »

Quote from: "AttAdude"

Atta, it's out for the gamecube, but in crazy limited release I guess, because it's expensive as hell on eBay.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 27, 2005, 09:23:40 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"

Atta, it's out for the gamecube, but in crazy limited release I guess, because it's expensive as hell on eBay.

Yeah i knew that, but i cant find the damn thing anywhere.  

If one of you loving and wonderful CG people wants to lend a bother your copy just let me know lol.

AttA
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 28, 2005, 10:04:11 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "Dafones"

Vagabond has received numerous warnings both in public and in private to curb his insults.  Sadly, this seemed to be something he could not/would not do.  And that's a shame because when he was not insulting people he often had some thought-provoking things to say.  Live and learn (hopefully).

Sorry man, I should've crammed a smiley in there ... vag was getting pretty fiesty in the martial arts thread too, so I wasn't surprised when he got the boot. I guess a slywink would have been in order.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: January 29, 2005, 04:39:13 PM »

Anyone even come close to getting a 5 star rating in Mercenaries (the game you unlock after beating Rez 4)?  I have 4 in each and that was virtually impossible.  I am told if you get a five star in all you unlock the hand cannon.  I would love to see what that baby can do.

Oh, and by the way, the handcannon has a damage power of 99.9!

I am Xboxalot on Live.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: January 31, 2005, 08:44:05 PM »

Just have to say I love this game even though I am just now approaching the first boss fight.

My bad console skills know no bounds but despite even that I am having much fun. Just really hate the save system though the spacing is not exactly horrible.

How does this work again?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 01, 2005, 07:50:01 PM »

SPOILERS!

Ok, wow, just fought the two El Gigante's in the lava room, that was cool!  I'm also glad to be fighting European villagers again, instead of monks.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 02, 2005, 06:31:34 AM »

SPOILERS!

Ok, wow, just fought the two El Gigante's in the lava room, that was cool!  I'm also glad to be fighting European villagers again, instead of monks.

did you actualy get to drop one of the el gigante into the lava pit?  If so did you get a chance to watch it die?  Remind you of a specific movie, with the governator in it?

AttA
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 02, 2005, 07:05:29 AM »

SPOILERS!

did you actualy get to drop one of the el gigante into the lava pit?  If so did you get a chance to watch it die?  Remind you of a specific movie, with the governator in it?

I dropped him in, but I didn't watch him die, what did I miss?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: February 03, 2005, 08:38:07 AM »

He thrashes around for a bit, then sinks slowly into the lava.

I'm not sure if he gave the thumbs up though.  I was too busy running for my life from the other one.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: February 03, 2005, 02:26:42 PM »

I'm starting to find those La Plagas that come out of those Los Ganados really annoying. I don't aim at the head yet those things have popped out after a supposed headshot when I've aimed straight at the chest.

I am happy though to have beaten the second El Gigante fairly quickly even though it only cost me 2 full heals (one for me and one for Ashley).

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 03, 2005, 09:07:19 PM »

WOW. No crap. That lava room is sweet :shock: ! I just got by that part a night or two ago. Go stuff indeed!!!
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 03, 2005, 09:28:37 PM »

Quote from: "wankerjr"
I'm starting to find those La Plagas that come out of those Los Ganados really annoying. I don't aim at the head yet those things have popped out after a supposed headshot when I've aimed straight at the chest.

Who said they only pop out after a head shot.  i always assumed they came out after killing a gandos in anyway as long as it had a mature plagas in it.

AttA
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: February 04, 2005, 02:13:59 PM »

Who said they only pop out after a head shot.  i always assumed they came out after killing a gandos in anyway as long as it had a mature plagas in it.

Right after that house fight w/ Luis I had to replay the left passageway several times (due to my multiple deaths). The ganados that are on the walkways had the La Plagas pop out when I did headshots. I'm pretty sure I didn't have any pop out after I killed tham by only shooting them in the legs when they were up and running. No way was I going to shoot them while they were lying on the ground.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 04, 2005, 05:11:38 PM »

This game is just punishing me ... and I keep going back for more. Those crazy Japanese must have put some sort of brainwashing encoding in the game, 'cause I'm surprised I haven't hurled the control against the wall yet. I'm really enjoying the game, and I want to play it, but I must suck because I keep getting annihilated, and it's pissing me off. Reminds me of the trial and error gameplay style of Splinter Cell - play a section a few times before finally figuring out how you're supposed to play it. Bah!

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: February 04, 2005, 11:27:13 PM »

I can't think of a game I have played recently that didn't have some degree of trial and error, but like you said, Rez 4 is so addicting I never gave up.  And then started through a second time.  I will NEVER let this game leave my house.  Love it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 17, 2005, 07:50:06 AM »

I`m really late on this...but I just beat this game and...SPOILERS(maybe)...

unlocked all the good stuff. Those new modes are quite a bit of fun so far. Wow, what a game.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: February 17, 2005, 02:20:50 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
unlocked all the good stuff. Those new modes are quite a bit of fun so far. Wow, what a game.

And the Tommy Gun is so much fun for all the wrong reasons. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 18, 2005, 04:21:33 AM »

Is it called the "tommy gun" or something else?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: February 18, 2005, 01:53:08 PM »

Is it called the "tommy gun" or something else?

The Chicago Typeriter. I know I'm spelling the second word wrong, but thee brain is flakey this early in the morning.

It'll become unlockable (to buy) for the main game once you beat Ada's Adventure, or whatever it's called.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: February 18, 2005, 05:18:14 PM »

Just finished 4-1 and that right hand boss is freaking hard! I wasted so much time and ammo trying to kill him.

I upgraded the Broken Butterfly to it's current max and emptied 18 rounds into him. Switched to the riot gun and the several point blank headshots did crap to him. Insane.

Wound up loading from the save point right before the boss fight and bought a rocket launcher to use on him which took care of the problem. Didn't have to waste 4 min trying to survive plus saved more pestas over upgrading the magnum.

BTW how are you supposed to get 1, 000, 000 pestas? I've only spent money on upgrading my attache case, some first aid sprays, 1 rocket launcher, and 3 new weapons (blacktail, riot gun, semi-auto rifle) yet only have less than 500,000 saved up. It's not helping that I haven't found a blue eye to complete my butterfly lamp but still.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: February 18, 2005, 05:32:27 PM »

BTW how are you supposed to get 1, 000, 000 pestas? I've only spent money on upgrading my attache case, some first aid sprays, 1 rocket launcher, and 3 new weapons (blacktail, riot gun, semi-auto rifle) yet only have less than 500,000 saved up. It's not helping that I haven't found a blue eye to complete my butterfly lamp but still.

Real simple - when you restart the game, you keep your money and items. Take a look at how much those upgraded weapons go for and figure it out. biggrin

After selling everything I had (and I mean everything, short of the infra-red scope attachment which I wanted to try out on earlier bosses), I had just enough.

Not like you need ammo after that point, as it has unlimited rounds in it. smile

wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: February 18, 2005, 05:51:18 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Real simple - when you restart the game, you keep your money and items. Take a look at how much those upgraded weapons go for and figure it out. biggrin

Unfortunately I haven't upgraded one weapon yet in my hoarding of pestas.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: February 18, 2005, 10:49:00 PM »

Good lord - how have you been playing? Having an upgraded Shotty at least is worth every pesta.

And I found lots of cash as I wandered the halls. I think I finished with just under 500k, and that's with mostly upgraded weapons.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: February 18, 2005, 11:54:49 PM »

I never had more than 100,000 pestas.  Spent it all each time I went in.  I have restarted and don't see any way of getting to 1mil and actually being able to progress.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 23, 2005, 02:18:31 PM »

I`m just going to start adas mission thingy soon :wink: . How long is it anyways?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: February 23, 2005, 02:58:59 PM »

I`m just going to start adas mission thingy soon :wink: . How long is it anyways?

About 2 to 3 hours, tops. Very difficult in the opening scenes, though.

And as far as restarting goes - you get to keep all of your upgraded weapons between restarts. Infact, you keep your entire inventory when you restart. Since you don't have to upgrade anything anymore, you'll end up with quite a bit of cash towards the endgame.

wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: February 23, 2005, 08:41:28 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Good lord - how have you been playing? Having an upgraded Shotty at least is worth every pesta.

I finally broke down and blew all my money on upgrades. I've maxed out the blacktail and riot gun. The broken butterfly is almost maxed out but I ran out of money. I've found that I was chewing through ammunition much faster since it took much more ammo to kill something and at the rate I was going I was going to run out very quickly on the island. Currently I've just finished the section where I finally got the infrared scope. The game is definitely a bit easier with upgraded weapons smile

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: February 24, 2005, 12:42:37 AM »

Just completed my second run through.  Took less than half the time.  Ofcourse, it didn't hurt that I had the infinite ammo rocket launcher and I blew every friggin thing up I came against.  THe boss battles didn't take but a few shots each.  Much easier, but I found it just as fun.  I actually started through a third time.  Man, have I gotten my money's worth.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: February 24, 2005, 07:06:23 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Just completed my second run through.  Took less than half the time.  Ofcourse, it didn't hurt that I had the infinite ammo rocket launcher and I blew every friggin thing up I came against.  THe boss battles didn't take but a few shots each.  Much easier, but I found it just as fun.  I actually started through a third time.  Man, have I gotten my money's worth.

Got the Tommy Gun yet? Lots of fun chewing down everybody I come to in a shot or two tops. biggrin

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: February 24, 2005, 11:14:35 PM »

I don't know about a tommy gun, but I have the machine gun and it is maxed out.  And yes, with a 250 round clip I can chew up everything.  All I have is the rocket launcher, the stryker, and the machine gun.  Loads of fun.  I can see me going through this game five times.  The more I play it the more I realize just how good the graphics are.  I can't find a game on any console that can touch it yet.  Phenomenal in my opinion.  Well worth the cost of my Cube alone.  I have over 40 hours on this one game alone and since I only paid $59 for my Cube, I am definitely gonna get my money's worth and more.  Even if I play nothing else on it.  Ofcourse, Geist is coming, so...

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: