http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 10:07:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resident Evil 4 Impressions  (Read 16811 times)
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2005, 09:08:27 PM »

For someone who doesn't like an innocuous comment like this:
I never thought he was that hard.

You make a couple of incendiary comments like this:
Don't brag about being faster than somebody old enough to be your father. I am far better than you at many things that are much more important than a game battle.

Not to mention I make profound observations on the nature of the game and game design in general and this is the best comment you can make? You need to quit gaming and get out more.

Relax. Not only is it just a game, it's also just an Internet forum.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Dafones
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2005, 09:18:30 PM »

Resident Evil 4 is scary. slywink

Just retried the cabin bit again, and worked it so much better than the first time. There's definitely something to be said for knowing how things will unfold.

I'm kind of choked, because I think I'm going to have to shelve the game for a few months. I'm in the final stretch at Uni, and there's no way I'm fucking it up for the sake of a video game. Come April, though, it's zombie time. (Truth be told, come April, it should probably be closer to "it's job hunt time".)

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2005, 09:26:10 PM »

Quote from: "adamsappel"
For someone who doesn't like an innocuous comment like this:
I never thought he was that hard.

You make a couple of incendiary comments like this:
Don't brag about being faster than somebody old enough to be your father. I am far better than you at many things that are much more important than a game battle.

Yeah dude, he'll take you down in a streetfight!!!11
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2005, 12:32:54 AM »

Relax. Not only is it just a game, it's also just an Internet forum.<<<<<

Take your own advice child. You say it's not important enough for me to get worked up about but it's important enough for you to put your uncalled for inane 2 cents worth in. Does the word hypocrite mean anything to you? Save it. You are just causing more trouble while pretending like you are trying to help or something.

vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2005, 12:34:03 AM »

Yeah dude, he'll take you down in a streetfight!!!11<<<<<

Now you got the "I'm under 80 IQ and proud of it" group chiming in.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2005, 12:36:06 AM »

And the old Vagabond has returned....
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2005, 12:37:53 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"

So has the old rage, acting like I am the problem when he is. Acting like you are restraining yourself when you aren't and don't have any intention of doing so. You have done ten times worse than you act like I have. You have been elected undisputed president of the I have an under 80 IQ and I am proud of it group countless times. You will undoubtably make a great lawyer.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2005, 12:45:23 AM »

Can you guys take it to email?  I'd like to come here to read about RE4.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2005, 12:45:36 AM »

Quote from: "vagabond"
Quote from: "Rage"

So has the old rage, acting like I am the problem when he is. Acting like you are restraining yourself when you aren't and don't have any intention of doing so. You have done ten times worse than you act like I have. You have been elected undisputed president of the I have an under 80 IQ and I am proud of it countless times. You will undoubtably make a great lawyer.

I would imagine I will, and I thank you for the magnanimous concession you are making by admitting that. However, you might want to indulge yourself in an elementary course in debate or at the very least logical reasoning and discourse, since your typical response to any post that pretends to disagree with your incontravertable "opinions" or "facts" is a fairly consistent, unimaginative ad hominem that really does no justice to the art of creative insults on the internet.

My suggestion-drop the attitude, find a new message board, or at least, for the love of god, come up with a more interesting way to insult people. At least make it worth reading-since you are apparently so old and wise, I imagine you can reach deep into the expansive vocabulary that you keep on the tip of your tongue, stealthy and hidden, just waiting for the fool that dares to challenge you.

I look forward to the response-in fact, if you could possibly format it in a different language, I would be forever in awe of your genius.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2005, 12:46:34 AM »

Quote from: "leo8877"

Leo, I apologize for the derail, but I hope my followup will at least amuse you somewhat-for the record, even at the risk of derailing a thread, I do not think that backing down from abusive posting is a good precedent to set. My apologies for the inconvenience.
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2005, 12:51:18 AM »

Leo, I apologize for the derail, but I hope my followup will at least amuse you somewhat-for the record, even at the risk of derailing a thread, I do not think that backing down from abusive posting is a good precedent to set. My apologies for the inconvenience.<<<<<

Apologizing for something but still doing it anyway AGAIN and you think I need to adjust my behavior? Never ran into anybody in my life in more desperate need of taking their own advice. Everything you say about me pertains to you far more than it does myself.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2005, 12:53:18 AM »

Leo, I apologize for the derail, but I hope my followup will at least amuse you somewhat-for the record, even at the risk of derailing a thread, I do not think that backing down from abusive posting is a good precedent to set. My apologies for the inconvenience.<<<<<

Apologizing for something but still doing it anyway again and you think I need to adjust my behavior? Never ran into anybody in my life in more desperate need of taking their own advice. Everything you say about me pertains to you far more than it does myself.

Since you label everyone hypocrits, will you at least have the dignity to admit you are yourself a hypocritical, abusive, abrasive, sensitive, and contentious poster? If so I will gladly admit to the unfortunate hypocrisy of admitting to an act already committed.

Come now, be the better man.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2005, 01:00:28 AM »

All this can be said in e-mail or PM.  I don't think anybody will think less of you if your argument suddenly goes silent.

I suggest you both explore that avenue before you choose to impress upon us your manhood any further.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2005, 01:07:05 AM »

Since you label everyone hypocrits, will you at least have the dignity to admit you are yourself a hypocritical, abusive, abrasive, sensitive, and contentious poster? If so I will gladly admit to the unfortunate hypocrisy of admitting to an act already committed. <<<<<

Hypocrite never. Name one thing in detail I have ever been hypocritical about and I will gladly admit it. I label people hypocrites when they are, telling me not to do something while at the same moment you are doing the exact same thing you are telling me not to do is as obvious a hypocrisy as you can get. Hypocrisy is bearing false witness against yourself, it is to me one of the worst failings you can have as a human being. Most people are so small minded and uneducated they probably don't even realize they are doing it. Perhaps my pointing it out might help them.

Abusive? I am abusive as Kierjegaard who was branded the same way in his time. I am well aware that by describing truthfully how something IS, is going to be insulting to some. I am well aware people don't want to hear or deal with their faults. They would much prefer the delusion they live under than reality. I however prefer reality. There is always a chance, however slight one they might actually face their faults if somebody has the nads to tell them to their face as well.

Abrasive, I will admit to. There is no point to discussion that doesn't go anywhere. I say things that are always factual, that I know will get people's neck hairs up. However, this is not being a troll. A troll starts fights without actually offering anything in lieu of arguement. I have never done that.

Sensitive? not the way you mean it. I am sensitive to people taking shots at me for no reason. I am sensitive to people bragging about their game exploits as if they were in a competition or it was their actual job or something. I am well aware none of these people have anything more substantial to brag about, but it's small minded and immature.

Contentious, means the same as abrasive. See above. I am always willing to answer to or for anything. I however, am only attacked for things I don't really do but just things that people like you delude themselves into thinking I do. Or they just attack me because they don't like me because they know I am smarter than they are. I am used to that. That is their problem not mine.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2005, 01:16:09 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
All this can be said in e-mail or PM. I don't think anybody will think less of you if your argument suddenly goes silent.

I suggest you both explore that avenue before you choose to impress upon us your manhood any further.

Both fine suggestions.  Vagabond and Rage take it to email or PM. Heck... meet up in person, bring tape measures, whip it out and compare johnsons if you need to.  But not in this thread.

I really don't want to lock a 5 page thread because of this silliness.
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2005, 01:20:14 AM »

Both fine suggestions. Vagabond and Rage take it to email or PM. Heck... meet up in person, bring tape measures, whip it out and compare johnsons if you need to. But not in this thread.

I really don't want to lock a 5 page thread because of this silliness.<<<<

I am done, I was talking about this game more than anybody till people started taking shots at me and bragging about their game as their level of input.

That isn't talking about the game, THAT is talking about your Johnson.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2005, 01:20:37 AM »

Again my apologies for the derail, it was not appropriate even with an apology as a caveat- I also understand what Warning is saying and thus I am removing my previous post.

For the record, I still think Resident Evil is plagued by clunky controls, unintuitive combat, a bad interface, and annoying puzzle elements. Who cares though, Im trading it for KOTOR 2  :twisted:
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2005, 02:02:38 AM »

What a waste of a thread.

Let's get a new topic going.

What are the guns you're using or used in the game?  Which upgrades do you have?  Have any good tips of weapon selection?

Currently, I just got the XL case extension, so I can fit quite a few goodies.

My inventory:
Red9 + stock - At first this gun doesn't seem worthwhile, but it's easily the best gun in the game.  Quite accurate, especially with the stock.  It's firepower upgrades raises its firepower quickly, saving you precious ammo.  It's main problem is the space it takes up, it's two blocks more than a normal pistol and the stock it three blocks.  Still, its final upgrade is firepower 5, so that's almost like hitting something with a full shotgun blast.

Riot gun - a good upgraded shotgun, a bit more powerful than the first shotgun you get.  I'll be sticking with this one through the rest of the game.  I checked a faq for weapon strengths and the next shotgun really only has capacity and firing rate advantages, meaning you'll be using a lot of your ammo.

Semi auto rifle - I'm still debating this purchase well after I bought it.  It's nice to have a rifle, and I know I need one around, but it takes up a lot of blocks.  I have put it to good use though.  In the end I may just keep it.

Broken butterfly - I'm just carrying this as a placeholder for the Killer7 magnum I'll get later.  I haven't used it too much, but I suspect it'll be useful against bosses where you only have a short interval with which to shoot.

Rocket launcher - Nope, I didn't buy this, I found it just about the same time I got the XL case.  It takes a massive 16 blocks.  However, the faq says it delivers 9,999 damage to anything it hits.  So even bosses can't stand for long against it.  Plus, when I finally do use it, it'll clear the spaces used.

Weapons I don't use:

TMP + stock - My friend used this while he was playing and it seemed decent.  It make short work of the cave troll whenever he had time to spray it.  Fully upgraded it's as good as the handgun.  Don't be fooled by its low firepower, as you get a large amount of ammo for it in every pickup.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2005, 02:30:28 AM »

I use the Black ? Something handgun.  I had the punisher, but sold it when I bought this.  I try to use it as much as I can.

I just sold my shotgun for the riot gun, I really like it.

I also just sold the rifle, for the semi-auto one.  I really liked the rifle, but I had so much money (over 100,00 and still had 6 first aid sprays) that I went on a shopping spree.

Glad I didn't buy the RL, as I found it too.

No TMP for me.  I bought it, used it for a little and decided that I didn't like it.

And since I bought the XL case, I have room for everything too!  biggrin
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2005, 03:03:13 AM »

Im still using the Punisher.  Its not as powerful as the other guns but i think its ability to pass through a european to hit the one behind it is priceless.  Often times ill get 2 exploding heads for the price of one bullet, i cant give that up lol.

AttA
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2005, 03:50:27 AM »

I carry the Red9, the Riot Gun and the Semi-Auto Rifle, and I will probably stick with those three for the rest of the game. I love the rifle and times find myself even using it in close combat if for nothing other than hitting heads.

I've heard about the special magnum that you can get, but just in passing, so I will wait out for the surprise. Although the broken butterfly looks tempting.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2005, 06:18:35 AM »

I'm glad I didn't buy the broken butterfly, as I just found that one too.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2005, 07:53:41 AM »

That was a hell of a list, Turtle, but how many weapons did you find yourself using at one time? How many did you have room for?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2005, 08:18:48 AM »

In most fights I switch between the Red9 and Riotgun.  But first I pop a few heads with the rifle.

The magnum I use for bosses or minibosses (those damn blind claw armed guys).  Currently, my broken butterfly has been upgraded to the point where if I land one good hit on his back parasite, he'd dead.

I finally used the rocket launcher, I even had time to say, "Hasta la vista, baby." as I blew that annoying little punk away.  It seems the rocket launcher kills in just one hit.

Right now, I'm using very little ammo.  So little that I have *gasp* too much of it.  I just fired off my rocket and the space was immediately filled up again with ammo.  So, maybe those high ammo usage guns are worth more than I thought?

Since I'm using the XL case, i can fit all those weapons, some healing items, plenty of ammo, and quite a lot of grenades.  I swear, at this point Leon is packing more firepower than Nemesis.

Oh, and yes, you find a broken butterfly, later on, so don't buy it.

Also, if you want all the cool upgrades, hunt down all those treasures.  A treasure map is invaluable for this.

Oh, and use those grenades, you'll find them at a regular rate in this game.  Otherwise, they start taking up space you could use for healing items.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2005, 02:36:39 PM »

Nah, I'm just replying to your statement in the manner in which it deserves.

And for pete's sake, learn how to use the quote tags.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2005, 03:21:07 PM »

Man those blind claw guys are awsome.  I love the way they act.    I just got out of a place that had about 7 los gandos and 2 of the claw guys.  It was neet trying to take out the gandos with out letting the claw guys zero in on my location.  In case you guys dont know, they are blind and work on sound alone.  So if you dont run and you dont shoot they dont know where you are at.  This made for a 1o min game of cat and mouse that had me on the edge of my seat.  Good stuff yes sir good stuff indeed.

AttA
warning

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2005, 03:32:24 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"

Nah, I'm just replying to your statement in the manner in which it deserves.

And for pete's sake, learn how to use the quote tags.

Let it go please.  It's nice to have this thread back on track.

Back to the game!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 24, 2005, 03:50:46 PM »

Quote from: "AttAdude"
Man those blind claw guys are awsome.  I love the way they act.    I just got out of a place that had about 7 los gandos and 2 of the claw guys.  It was neet trying to take out the gandos with out letting the claw guys zero in on my location.  In case you guys dont know, they are blind and work on sound alone.  So if you dont run and you dont shoot they dont know where you are at.  This made for a 1o min game of cat and mouse that had me on the edge of my seat.  Good stuff yes sir good stuff indeed.

Something I didn't know about this part:  you can shoot off the lock on the door and take the fight to outside of the cage.  After I fought through the first time in the cage, I replayed and blew the door off and fought from out there.  Helped me save some healing items.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 24, 2005, 04:05:03 PM »

Something I didn't know about this part:  you can shoot off the lock on the door and take the fight to outside of the cage.  After I fought through the first time in the cage, I replayed and blew the door off and fought from out there.  Helped me save some healing items.

Yeah that was cool too. i kept thinking all you have to do is shoot the locks off, when vagabond was railing and complaining  about how unfair that trap was.  The part where im at is qite a bit beyond that tho, and a lot harder.  the blind guys dont have a cage to get lost in plus there are 2 of them and about 7 los gandos in an open space.

Bit of a spoiler here.

Im really likeing the slazzar character.  i like him in that way that means when he shows up on my screen, i start to envision the horrid things i could do to him, if i could just get my grubby mits on him.  

I really like the back and forth between him and leon as far as dialouge and story goes.  I also like chasing him through his castle.  ya never know what that guy is gonna thow at you next, and boy is he good at setting traps.  The falling cage is a classic trap we have seen 100 times, in 100 different stories and yet Salazzar still pulled it off and scared the hell out of me.

AttA
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2005, 05:07:19 PM »

Geez you guys are way farther than I am. I'm still trying not to die in the first part of the village at the very beginning..after the first save point :oops:

Stupid chainsaw maniac.

How does this work again?
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2005, 05:14:04 PM »

Quote from: "wankerjr"
Geez you guys are way farther than I am. I'm still trying not to die in the first part of the village at the very beginning..after the first save point :oops:

Stupid chainsaw maniac.

umm not sure what you are doing but this little hint may help you.  First off there is another weapon in that section, just waiting for you to pick it up.  find it.   Second, if you are attacking the chainsaw guy outside, you might wanna stop that and go inside some houses.  yeah thats the ticket, check out some houses.

AttA
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2005, 06:41:12 PM »

Stupid chainsaw maniac.

umm not sure what you are doing but this little hint may help you.  First off there is another weapon in that section, just waiting for you to pick it up.  find it.   Second, if you are attacking the chainsaw guy outside, you might wanna stop that and go inside some houses.  yeah thats the ticket, check out some houses.

I did grab the shotgun, dive and run into the house directly across, block the door, grab the shotgun ammo, lookup and get my head chopped off. I think I just need to time it a bit better as for a good while I was running around in the open trying to find a doorway.

How does this work again?
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2005, 07:07:18 PM »

Stupid chainsaw maniac.

I did grab the shotgun, dive and run into the house directly across, block the door, grab the shotgun ammo, lookup and get my head chopped off. I think I just need to time it a bit better as for a good while I was running around in the open trying to find a doorway.

Remember you can push the ladders down upstairs.  i think there may only be one.  but if you can keep that ladder down you will be able to have your back against the wall.  Toss a incendidary nade catch those fuckers on fire, and the pump em full of buchshot.  that combo will work for you for a long time in this game.

AttA
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2005, 04:23:28 AM »

Well, I got to the part where you have to play Ashley weaponless and enough was enough. I was only renting it anyway, so I exchanged it for Mercenaries. That seems like a good game, but not good when you have just been playing another similar shooter. This game was not my genre and it kept me in it for 20 hours or so. Definately worth the 5 bucks for the rental. It's only about a 7 as a game. Using ambushes as the sole method of combat against you gets very old.  If you have plenty of ammo and your weapons upgraded it's not really a challenge. Which I guess is why they decided to make you play Ashley for awhile weaponless. But, that is cheap.

AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2005, 04:07:36 PM »

Well, I got to the part where you have to play Ashley weaponless and enough was enough. I was only renting it anyway, so I exchanged it for Mercenaries. That seems like a good game, but not good when you have just been playing another similar shooter. This game was not my genre and it kept me in it for 20 hours or so. Definately worth the 5 bucks for the rental. It's only about a 7 as a game. Using ambushes as the sole method of combat against you gets very old.  If you have plenty of ammo and your weapons upgraded it's not really a challenge. Which I guess is why they decided to make you play Ashley for awhile weaponless. But, that is cheap.

at the risk of sounding like a dick.  Ashley was not weaponless, her gig is using the environment to her advantage. For example flaming oil bombs and small passages that only she can go through.  Hell i thought the VERY VERY SHORT (as in 4 rooms max with mabey 4 monsters to kill)) ashley section was very easy, esp when compared to the stuff leon goes through.  
What makes the post even more hard to understand, is there are no ambushes in this section.  infact i was ambushing the Los Gandoes by gettign thier attention and bringing them to places in the room where i could kill them.  

I gotta say tho man, ive never seen a person try and not like a game before, but thats exactaly what it looks like you are doing.    you confuse me man, but to each his own.

AttA
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2005, 06:09:12 PM »

at the risk of sounding like a dick.<<<<<

Let me phrase it this way, you re-edited my post.  Fuck you chuck, you are gone.  

Ron

AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2005, 06:11:50 PM »

at the risk of sounding like a dick.<<<<<

Oh, there was no RISK there at all, it was always a certainty.

Lol ok man, sorry to offend, have a good day.

AttA
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2005, 07:40:42 PM »

So has anyone got to the second disk yet?  Ive been playing this for a long time now, and im starting to get a little bit scared.  what if that second disk has the same ammount of content as the first.  that would really make me impressed.

AttA
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2005, 08:09:27 PM »

It doesn't have the same amount of content.  Just the endgame areas, which are decently big, and all the extra side games you get when you complete the game.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2005, 08:24:46 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
It doesn't have the same amount of content.  Just the endgame areas, which are decently big, and all the extra side games you get when you complete the game.

Ahh i c.

AttA
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: