http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 04:51:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resident Evil 4 Impressions  (Read 16910 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2005, 05:22:11 AM »

Wow, I just finished chapter 2-3 and this game is full steam ahead!  I'm having a blast now and I hope the game keeps it going.  Minus the deaths and retries, I am just over 6 1/2 hours played.  Bravo!

EDIT - Boss three was a creepy S.O.B.!  I had to beat him using a really cheap method, but whatever.  :wink:

*note that the glowing praise above does not include merchant and CODEC portions of the game.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2005, 01:27:17 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Okay, I appear to be stuck.  SPOILERS FOLLOW:

I am about 19 hours in and have come across a security door that requires both Ashley and Leon to push down on levers on either side of the door to open it.  We try and are told this is some kind of special security door.  Now what?  I have roamed all over that section and have not found anything that will help.  Anyone know what I do next?

***SPOILER****
There are lights above the door just look pay attention to them and do what was in the other post.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2005, 06:14:22 PM »

My final end game stats

22hrs17mins
Deaths - 77
Kills - 963
Hit % - 72

Let's see how everyone stacks up.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2005, 06:25:16 PM »

Since end game stuff is coming out, may I please make a plea to keep things spoiler free, or at least mark them with spoilers?  Thanks!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2005, 05:35:55 AM »

Ok I am about 2 hours in, and AS USUAL with a stupid RE game, I just don't like it. I just cant get into it. THe controls are clunky, the combat is still unresponsive and and just not that exciting (for my tastes of course), I still dont like the look around and pick up stuff gameplay that just feels so primitive.

I dunno. I need to give it some more time but maybe I can return it and at least get store credit to put towards KOTOR2 on the PC or something.

grrr..at least mercenaries is rocking!
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2005, 06:27:13 AM »

I'm up to 2-3, and while I'm really enjoying it, I miss the slower, methodical pace of the old RE games... I still have RE:0 and RE: CV to finish as well, so I can at least get my old school fix that way smile
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2005, 06:40:34 AM »

GAAGGHHH!!  Am I the only one who can only play for small periods at a time?  I'm 7.5 hours in now at act 3-1.  I just can play for too long, it just creeps me out.  

Damn this is fun though!!!
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2005, 05:36:50 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"
GAAGGHHH!!  Am I the only one who can only play for small periods at a time?  I'm 7.5 hours in now at act 3-1.  I just can play for too long, it just creeps me out.  

Damn this is fun though!!!

You are not alone.  The feeling of dread and oppression is thick.  I also noticed that while I'm playing I'm tensing up my stomach and neck muscles and even holding my breath as I'm walking around just waiting for something to pop out and scare the hell out of me.  I also noticed that I'm having trouble aiming because I'm tending to rush under the "panic" induced by hordes of villagers getting closer, and closer, and closer.

What gets me the most is when the villagers are right in front of your face and you are frantically trying to reload that damn pistol and you just know at any second they are going to grab and or swing at you.  I'm referring to that instant in time where several of them are right in front of you (literally face-to-face) and there seems to be this eternal moment where you know they are going to rip you to pieces, but they don't do so right away?  Intense indeed.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
osufan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2005, 10:02:02 PM »

I'm not as creeped out by RE4 as I was by some other games, like The Suffering, Fatal Frame 2 or Undying, and I creep out really easily.  RE4 is a much better experience than those IMO, so maybe that's helping.  I tell ya, though, I wear out that spin move like nobody's business.  Always seems like there's someone back there...somewhere.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2005, 10:02:30 PM »

I got this for my new Gamecube and started over after messing up  and dying many times. So far this game is awesome though I still don't like the controls for it very much. Guess it's just me trying to get used to the GC controller.

Very intense and that sense of dread never seems to leave which keeps me on edge through most of the game. Glad I picked this up though I have yet to finish RE2 or RE3 on my PC biggrin

How does this work again?
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2005, 10:59:37 PM »

I'm a huge chicken shit when it comes to games and movies but I find that this doesn't scare me in the least.  I'm enjoying the hell out of the game but not scared.

*SPOILER*

I'm at the fortified house part and getting my ass kicked. I'm running low on ammo like 45 pistol rounds and 8 shotgun rounds so I bought the tmp with the stock with that I have around 230 bullets. Hopefully that'll be enough to carry me through this mission. So far I've died twice though to many zombies. *sigh* guess it might be time to use those grenades I've been hording.

Ascendent
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2005, 11:33:08 PM »

The only way I was able to get through that fortified house section was to run upstairs first thing, stand at the top of the stairs and they will all eventually come arunnin.  Blast them as they come up.  Once they finally break into the second floor windows I run to a corner and start throwing every fire grenade I have til 90% are burned up.  Then I pop off some of the others and eventually they will just decide to quick and walk off.

Boy, having finished the game I envy you who have so much fun in store.  But when done, you unlock some very nice extras.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2005, 01:32:48 AM »

Quote from: "osufan"
Always seems like there's someone back there...somewhere.

You hit the nail on the head.  This sums it up perfectly.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2005, 09:47:29 AM »

*spoiler*

I kicked the hell out of that mission. I actually stayed downstairs with Luis. I just used the shotgun. Dear God is it to powerful or what?! It was like scorching the earth. They came at me in droves and I'd lay them low with a single shot or two. Its def my favorite weapon by far. Now I have the riot gun and they all tremble at my passing *laughs*

Ascendent
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2005, 02:56:07 PM »

When i did this mission, i used the cabnits to block off the windows down stairs.  that made it pretty easy to do because it limited the ammount of zombies that could come after me.... at least for a little while.

AttA
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2005, 05:20:45 PM »

Quote from: "AttAdude"
When i did this mission, i used the cabnits to block off the windows down stairs.  that made it pretty easy to do because it limited the ammount of zombies that could come after me.... at least for a little while.

Yeah, I didn't realize I could push the cabinets until *after* I had beat that section. That would definitely make things easier.  As well as running upstairs once things get a little hairy inside - that way you can kick one dude and knock a half dozen down the stairs, giving you a little more time
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2005, 05:50:36 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"

Yeah, I didn't realize I could push the cabinets until *after* I had beat that section. That would definitely make things easier.  As well as running upstairs once things get a little hairy inside - that way you can kick one dude and knock a half dozen down the stairs, giving you a little more time

I didn't realize this until after as well.  I stayed downstairs and fought the incoming hordes until Luis said to go upstairs.  Then I had fun knocking down ladders and what not.  Great, great level!
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2005, 07:16:33 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"
Quote from: "Laner"

I didn't realize this until after as well.  I stayed downstairs and fought the incoming hordes until Luis said to go upstairs.  Then I had fun knocking down ladders and what not.  Great, great level!

Dont feel bad, once i got up stairs it never crossed my mind to push down the ladders.  all i could think about is ohhh shit im running out of nades !!!

By the way here is a little tip for the masses and a wee bit of a spoiler.  Im sure most of you guys have met the ... europeans who grow strange tentacles after you blow thier heads off. yeah you know the ones.  Well these guys seem to have a soft spot for light.  So save those flash nades they are actualy useful.  After a zombie... er European losses his head and grows that other thing a single flash will kill em dead no fuss no muss.

I love this game so much.  im on chapter 4 now, and still it just wont let up.  by now im starting to grow bored with most games but not so with this one.  its just endless ammounts of fun.   to top it all off it gives me a reason to quote shaun of the dead, and you just cant go wrong quoting that movie.  

My wife is watching this one with me (infact im not allowed to play at all if she is not home and watching).  A couple of nights ago she said Ohh shit J there are zombies behind you.  i looked over at her for a split second (all the time i could spare) and said i my best ed voice "we are not using the zed word !!!!"
So now its not ohh shit there are zombies, its watch out there is a european in that house !!!!

AttA
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2005, 07:49:43 PM »

You guys arent totally turned off by the clunky combat controls?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2005, 07:54:03 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"

Nope.  After an hour they were no longer clunky for me.  Now I am a damn marksman!!!
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2005, 08:06:20 PM »

Im sure at least some one will see this as a cop-out excuse for the devs sake but here it goes.  I belive that the "clunky" controlls are an intrinsic part of the tension that makes RE what it is.  the facs that you are slow moving, slow aiming, and slow to turn, are what creates, the sence of vulnrability in this game.  I know for a fact if i could move like Sarge or freeman, these zombies would not pose any type of threat at all to me.  if they dont pose a threat then i dont have a survival horror game, i have a FPS or a Third Person Shooter.  Its a part of the game, because of the type of ememy you face.  They are slow shableing hordes of undead (or not in RE4).  The only way to make these guys a threat is to put you on thier level.  That means that you cant run like carl lewis if the game is to keep its feel and purpose.  

Take that for what its worth but keep in mind, that capcom and thier developers have been making great games since the days of the NES, if not longer.  They have, i know for a fact, created tight easy to do control schemes before, i dont think thats even a debatable point.  If the guys know what a tight control set is, then it logicly follows that they choose to make RE the way it is for a reason.  I think that reason is to build tension.  

Then again, it must be said, then when i played doom3, the flashlight thing did not piss me off, because i recognized its purpose.  that being the same as the controls in RE.

AttA
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2005, 08:08:25 PM »

Nope.  They didn't bother me in the original RE, and they don't bother me here.  Occasionally I'll wish for the ability to sidestep, but it's a very minor complaint.
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2005, 09:41:15 PM »

I rented it today, was either this one or mercenaries and they didn't have any of those. I am not usually a big fan of horror titles but so far I like this one. It is very hard to aim when you aren't looking straight ahead. I like the mapping and being able to move furniture and stuff around. I like how the birds fly when you get near. So far so good, only a couple hours in.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2005, 09:52:46 PM »

Quote from: "vagabond"
I like how the birds fly when you get near..

Toss a grenade in the middle of 'em   :twisted:
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2005, 10:53:18 PM »

I too had absolutely no problem with controls.  As a matter of fact, I like em.  I would not change a thing in the control department.  I agree that if this was like Halo and such the enemies would be no challenge and the game would not be what it is.  

If you go into it knowing it is a Capcom RE game, then you should like the controls.  Assuming you like RE games that is.  The story, presentation, artwork, and incredible creatures you encounter make this THE best console experience for me since I have owned consoles.  Number one in my book.  I am playing through again now on the unlocked professional level, alternate uniform, and with the new weapons that become available.  What fun.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2005, 10:57:36 PM »

Just beat the game.  

What a great game I had a blast playing it.  From the graphics to the sound to the everything the game is one of the best I have played and actually finished.  

Good luck to everyone and have a good time.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2005, 11:19:53 PM »

blah blah blah...zombies...blah blah blah

EUROPEANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2005, 11:45:41 PM »

My knowledge of Spanish finally pays off!

slywink
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2005, 12:00:38 AM »

Honestly?  The controls greatly turned me off to combat in the previous RE games; however, by changing something as simple as the camera view they have turned what was once a frustrating experience into something that's actually fun!

In the previous RE games, the clunky controls + limited ammo made combat a 'final option' for me to only be used when I had absolutely no other chance of getting out of a room alive.  In RE4, the ammo is as abundant as the enemies (dead enemies actually drop ammo), so combat is actually encouraged.  There is nothing like having a villager throw a stick of dynamite at you, shooting it down mid-air, and then exploding at their own feet.  There's no way you could do something like that in the previous RE games...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2005, 04:27:57 AM »

After a few more hours of play there is no doubt they made the controls a bit clunky and slow on purpose for effect. It's difficult, but the more you play the more adept you get at getting well aimed shots off quickly. As any game I guess. I have played a few games like this and never got into it and certainly never got scared. But, this game is creeping me out for some reason! :lol:

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2005, 05:44:13 AM »

Grr ... I am not very good at this game.  :roll:  I'm about five hours in and have reached the point where you're holed up in the old house, assaulted by wave after wave of "Europeans". I've tried it maybe six or seven times - not a huge number of retries, I know - and so far have been unsuccessful. Each time is still fun, though, I must admit.

What I really need is a solid couple of hours playing. I haven't been able to do that since I picked up the game, so now it's fifteen minutes her, twenty there. You can't get pumped like that. You can't get into the proper mindset with only a handful of minutes. That's not how you go about killing Europeans!

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2005, 05:59:37 AM »

That's not how you go about killing Europeans!

LOL!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2005, 01:13:21 PM »

Damn you people.  I'm going to give in and pick up RE4 this afternoon.  I was hoping to finish Baten Kaitos and KotOR2 before I got anything else, but the CGFE has sucked me in.  

Evil, the lot of ya.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2005, 02:58:56 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
Damn you people.  I'm going to give in and pick up RE4 this afternoon.  I was hoping to finish Baten Kaitos and KotOR2 before I got anything else, but the CGFE has sucked me in.  

Evil, the lot of ya.

Its ok Gratch, i own baten kaitos and trust me RE is better for your European killing needs.

AttA
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2005, 03:04:26 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Grr ... I am not very good at this game.  :roll:  I'm about five hours in and have reached the point where you're holed up in the old house, assaulted by wave after wave of "Europeans". I've tried it maybe six or seven times - not a huge number of retries, I know - and so far have been unsuccessful. Each time is still fun, though, I must admit.

What I really need is a solid couple of hours playing. I haven't been able to do that since I picked up the game, so now it's fifteen minutes her, twenty there. You can't get pumped like that. You can't get into the proper mindset with only a handful of minutes. That's not how you go about killing Europeans!

Dafones here is some advise for you if you want it

SPOILERS !!!!!!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

first off, be calm, dont let those europeans freak you out,  notice all of the big cabnits near the windows.  First thing push those guys infront of the window.  After you do that run around the house, both up stairs and down and grab all the lewtz, you gonna need it.  Next put your self on the stairs.  that means they have to come up past that gay spanish guy to get to you. Sooner or later they are gonna give up on the downstairs and start putting up ladders and crawling in the upstairs.  Run up there and start pushing ladders down.  Eventualy you will be over whelmed,  and you wont be able to keep them out anymore.  Again Dont freak out and run around.  Stay calm and plant your self in the corner created by the cabnit ashley is in and the wall behind it.  Now wait for em to bunch up, i know its nerve wracking but wait for 3 or 4 of them to get together.  Now toss a nade, or hit em with a shotgun.  Keep this up and keep them away from you.  the object is not to kill them all, they are europeans after all so they breed like rats.  No you just gonna survive for a few mins.  When you pop one of those rotten heads and an alien grows out of it, pull out a flash nade and fix the problem.  Stand your ground in the corner there and you should be ok.  Cheers!

AttA
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2005, 04:51:06 PM »

I wish I had knows about those flash grenades usefullness.  I sold a whole bunch at one point.  I'm going to start holding on to them it seems...
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2005, 05:05:26 PM »

I loved this part of the game.  it had me on the edge of my seat cursing like a madman.  Infact it made me revert to cursing like the mole from southpark the movie.  I was sitting in my chair yelling Shieet Shieet Shieet over and over till the wife came in and told me to be quite before the neighbors started freaking out.

AttA
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2005, 07:09:07 PM »

I love the agonizing decisions you have to make on your inventory.  I am grabbing as many weapons as I can this time through, but I think next time I am going to try just carrying the pistol and the shotgun and maxing out the fire power of each with all of my money.  The shotgun is already mega powerful, but fully maxed, I bet it is a howitzer.

Well, since you can't buy any ammo for the weapons it would seem to me you have to try and use as many of them as possible. I try to kill everything as much as possible with the pistol because it is the weakest weapon and I seem to be getting the most ammo for it. I have a sniper rifle but I haven't used it yet since I only have like 15 rounds for it. Might be situations where it is useful tho, but when you are getting swarmed it sure isn't, then it's shotgun time! :lol:

AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2005, 07:10:18 PM »

Quote from: "vagabond"
I love the agonizing decisions you have to make on your inventory.  I am grabbing as many weapons as I can this time through, but I think next time I am going to try just carrying the pistol and the shotgun and maxing out the fire power of each with all of my money.  The shotgun is already mega powerful, but fully maxed, I bet it is a howitzer.

Well, since you can't buy any ammo for the weapons it would seem to me you have to try and use as many of them as possible. I try to kill everything as much as possible with the pistol because it is the weakest weapon and I seem to be getting the most ammo for it. I have a sniper rifle but I haven't used it yet since I only have like 15 rounds for it. Might be situations where it is useful tho, but when you are getting swarmed it sure isn't, then it's shotgun time! :lol:

Ohhh yes you will use it.  use it well you will.  /shudder.

AttA
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2005, 07:29:54 PM »

I <3 Sniper Rifle!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: