http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 11:58:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resident Evil 4 Impressions  (Read 16586 times)
Dafones
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2005, 01:39:43 AM »

Just getting into the game, so here's a few early thoughts so far:

The graphics are beautiful. The colours of the forest and first village are really creeping me out. Got a bit of an evil spirit autumn/Halloween/Blair Witch vibe to them.

Controls are good, but not great. The aiming feature is fantastic. I only wish I had a strafe button. (I'm struggling against the controls of Eternal Darkness, which I just came off of and are still a little automatic, so I'm pulling out a knife when I want to run, and hitting the B button when I should be hitting A for context sensitive situations. Not RE4's fault, so I'm likely a poor judge of the controls right now.)

Location specific targeting rules. Capping Euro-hicks in the knee then kicking them over is good fun.

I should learn to trust my instincts - already got suckered by an axe-wielding madman that I knew was hiding in the "empty" shack.

Sound is good too, from the distant howling of wolves to the Spanish ranting of the attacking villagers. I’m beginning to wish I had surround sound hooked up.

I've also got to say that I'm impressed with the engine-based cut scenes, especially the work done on the body animation. I found the scene with the policeman taking a leak, then looking around at something in the woods, surprisingly realistic.

That's it for now - back to the game I go.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 01:44:52 AM »

Thanks!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 03:02:42 AM »

/me exhales deeply. Holy cow, just got finished the first village segment, and it was hella intense. Things got haggard, and I kept losing my head ... literally. Now that I'm getting a feel for the controls, and a feel for how the gameplay unfolds, I'm really enjoying myself. The quick turn move is pretty clutch - I find that running away from a group of goons then whipping a round to get a few shots off helps thin out the hoards.

Good stuff so far.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 03:41:54 AM »

Wheee, I'm going to go empty the dishwasher then play this game! Ohboyohboyohboy.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 04:01:32 AM »

Sounds great - I hope to get some time with it tomorrow!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 07:08:54 AM »

Just finished a 2 hour session and man is this game intense. Ten tons of fun.

(No spoilers.)

PROS:

Graphics/art: The best thing I can say about RE4 is that it actually rivals the recent highwater mark set by Half-life 2 in terms of artistic design. The graphics are technically handsome but you can say that about dozens of new releases. More importantly, the game designers had a vision. The setting and level design and especially the character animation is just brilliant. And the way it all comes together, at least in my initial impression, is that the sum is much greater than the parts. Hard to describe but whatever elusive quality it is that makes a game gel into greatness, RE4 seems to have it.

Load times:
Practically non-existent. Very impressive. It was hard to quit playing. And you know what else this means: No more stupid frickin' door-opening-into-darkness animation between every room.

Letterbox:
I love the cinematic effect.

Sound:
Very well done. Footsteps, dogs whining, grunts and growls, gunshots, etc.

Don't Call Them Zombies-
They may move like zombies and sound like zombies, but these ain't your grandpappy's zombies. The maniac villagers remind me a lot of the army of homeless people from John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness. (God, I love that movie.) Human but not quite. I love the moment when the church bell tolls and you're left all alone. I can't wait to find out what's controlling or possessing these sick freaks. I also can't wait to find out what other gruesome foes await my boomstick. But I do wish I spoke Spanish so I'd know what they were calling me behind my back.

Intense!
Holy crap, I had the shit scared out of me about 12 times in 2 hours. One of the maniac villagers threw a sickle in my eye. Another one lifted me up and slammed me to the ground. When I had a whole angry mob of them right behind me and nowhere to run, my heart was pounding and I had a huge grin on my face. The game got to me, big time.

CONS:

Controls:
A couple times I wanted to hightail it out of a cluster of grabhappy maniac villagers only to find myself rotating in place like a retarded weeble-wobble. You feel rooted to the ground and it takes some adjusting, particularly if you're used to PC FPS controls. No jumping, no strafing. On the plus side, there's no denying that this adds to the tension when you're surrounded by groaning freaks. But ultimately it's an artificial tension builder along the lines of Doom 3's flashlight-or-gun-but-not-both conceit. Fortunately, this new control scheme is WORLDS better than the old combination of tank control plus static camera angles. It feels like a whole new game and is just the thing the RE series needed to win me back.

Disorienting:
Not sure if its just me but I found it hard to get my bearings, especially in Pueblo village. I think this is a result of the third person perspective plus the control scheme. I'll get used to it. Plus there's a map so it's not really a big deal.

No First Person View:
At one point you can use some binoculars to case out what's up ahead but it's frustrating not being able to do so at will. I like to take a close up look at stuff like women hanging from walls with a pitchfork through the head. It's frustrating always having to look over Leon's shoulder when you want to examine the gorgeous, maggoty details up close.

In-Game Manual Part Two, Where Were You When I Needed You?:
You'll want to know how to reload your gun long before the game tells you how. Same with turning around quickly. I fiddled around with the controls and finally figured it out, THEN the game hands me the info. Thanks for nothing. TIP: Reload = hold R then press B. Turn around fast=Down on control stick + B.

Diving Out Windows All By Your Lonesome:
It's handy to have the option when you need it, but this comes off as pretty silly when you're all alone.  The window shatters as you hurl yourself out and tuck into a roll to land safely on the ground. You stand up, dust yourself off, and uh... yeah... no one's around.  :oops:  You'll see what I mean.

Font:
I don't like the font. It just bugs me.

Pros win. Cons lose. The reviews are right. GET THIS NOW.
brullan
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 12:18:07 PM »

Has anyone of you who has Resident Evil 4 tested it on a PAL-cube with the freeloader?

Very anxious to know if it´s green lights for us europeans to import!

Thanks
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 02:09:43 PM »

Should be getting mine on Wednesday...can't wait.  Going to go out and drive in the ice/snow, too, I need it!

TheMissingLink on PSN
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 05:49:19 PM »

After 10 minutes of play at Best Buy all I can say is - it is beautiful, but why can't they get the controls right?

I know Capcom has the people becaue Onimusha 3 had great control so they are not ignorant of how to do it, but they never seem to bring it to the RE series.

I just kept wanting to look around.  I know I am silly but with a game this beautiful I wanted to look around, but of course you really can't.  Well you can sort of but it won't feel like you are looking around.  It feels like you are shuffling your feet then looking around, then shuffling your feet etc.

I also wanted to find a way to run but I couldn't.  Maybe it exisits, if I had a manual I could tell but I just had a few minutes with the game.

I bet if you like the RE series though all other things will fade to the beauty of this new game.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 06:17:45 PM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
In-Game Manual Part Two, Where Were You When I Needed You?:
You'll want to know how to reload your gun long before the game tells you how. Same with turning around quickly. I fiddled around with the controls and finally figured it out, THEN the game hands me the info. Thanks for nothing. TIP: Reload = hold R then press B. Turn around fast=Down on control stick + B.

Morton, why didn't you just read the manual that came with the game? It covers everything that's brought up in-game. Dying to play that much that you tossed it aside?

All right, more thoughts.

I'm finding this game pretty hard, i.e. I'm dying a lot. This isn't a problem for me yet, because it's actually fun just blasting away at the advancing groups of - what do I call these guys, hicks? I'm still getting caught standing still when I should be on the move. These hick bastards know how to sneak up on a guy, even when you think you should be fine. So the game's tough (for me), but it's not a chore ... not yet.

I'm beginning to wish that you had a targeting reticle all the time, only because it can be tricky figuring out where your laser aim is actually pointing. The laser makes a red dot on anything that can be attacked (and excludes any structures, which I think is great), but sometimes it's hard to tell if you're just a little off to the left or to the right. A simple white dot, a la Max Payne, that turns red when aimed at an enemy or target, would be magnificent.

It's funny that Rob brought up Half-Life 2 as a graphical comparison, because that's the exact game that this one reminded me of. RE4 has me immersed because of its grit, its dirt, its dust and debris ... along with blood, bones, skulls and the like. The world seems used, lived in, neglected and decayed. That's the only way I can describe it. It goes beyond textures. This is atmosphere, and it really works.

Oh yeah, I got a giggle when I found out the game comes on two disks. Looks like we have a lengthy adventure on our hands, or a media-filled one.

Edit: Damn BBCode.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 07:17:00 PM »

I can't remember the last time I opened a manual for a console game.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 07:31:55 PM »

Just picked it up at lunch today.  I will wait until tonight to play. I want the full effect in darkness with surround-sound.  

Nice to find out that there isn't much of a wait for loading.  Which is typical with most gamecube games.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 07:38:42 PM »

Yeah, definitely play it in the dark. (Actually, sitting in the dark was the main reason I didn't bother getting up to check the manual when I wanted to reload my gun. That and the game had my ass glued to the couch from the moment I started.)

Can't wait to get back to this tonight. I'll have to figure out a subtle way to get Gwen to go to bed nice and early.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2005, 09:31:02 PM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
TIP: Reload = hold R then press B. Turn around fast=Down on control stick + B.

Is it just me, or should something like Reload have it's own single button press.  I mean, the whole game is walking around shooting shit, I should be able to hit B and reload.  

(I haven't played the game yet, I'm just drawing this conclusion from the fact that I hate poorly concieved controls and this seems to be exactly that)

Sandwiches do fix everything.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 11:44:54 PM »

In theory I agree with you, and I kept looking at my Wavebird trying to find a button I'd forgotten about that would let me reload.

But, since pulling and holding the R trigger is how you ready your gun and aim it around, it does make sense that the B would then reload your weapon. It's not confusing at all once you know how it's done.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2005, 02:13:33 AM »

Been playing for about 2.5 hours and the game is awesome.

Graphics good. Sound good. Story good. Action good. Blood great.

The context button stuff is great but I am having a problem when you
shoot a guy in the knee how close do you get before you can kick him.
Usually I hit him in the knee run close to him he recovers then it's me down and out.

The merchant has probably the best voice in the game.  Even though he doesn't say much it is pretty cool to hear him talk.   What will you buuuuy.

Spoiler(maybe not)...
Any one else creeped out by the guys with the chainsaw.  I so did not
want them to get me.  He was right behind me and I kept running around a table, good thing I didn't have slippery socks on or it would be deja vu.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2005, 02:45:38 AM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
After 10 minutes of play at Best Buy all I can say is - it is beautiful, but why can't they get the controls right?

I also wanted to find a way to run but I couldn't.  Maybe it exisits, if I had a manual I could tell but I just had a few minutes with the game.

100% correct. I'm not a big RE fan, and after playing an hour of it, I'm glad I only rented it.

I'm playing it on my 30" widescreen (proscan) and it is VERY pretty. And gruesome. Pretty gruesome, I guess. I cannot get past the controls though. I don't know what it is with Nintendo games and stationary gameplay (Metroid, for example). Their AAA titles (IMHO) generally have poor controls and require a deeper understanding of how fingers DON'T work to get it to do what you want it to do.

If they offered a better angle (the sloped angle of the gun versus your perspective can be misleading a LOT of the time).Since he's actually STOPPING to take aim we should have the benefit of a true scope sight.

As to running, hold the B button with no triggers pressed.

If you love survivor horror or previous RE games, this is a must. If you've never tried it before and are old hat at FPS games, I'd strongly recommend renting this title first. Or be prepared to pay for a replacement controller and at least 1 sheet of drywall.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2005, 07:25:25 AM »

Played about an hour of it - pretty cool so far.  

*Teenie-Tiny-SPOILER*

It was cool just looking at the people in that town with your binocs...I just watched them for awhile.  Seriously, that has been my favorite part.

*Teenie-Tiny-SPOILER END*

There is one thing that I am disliking very much.  I hope I'm doing it wrong, or something.  So let's say I shoot one of them and they go down...but they're not dead.  I know they'll be getting up.  I've tried shooting them when they're down, but they just get up.  I wish there was a way to stop that.  

Camera angle is tolerable, I guess.  I'll get used to it, I think.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2005, 08:46:42 AM »

You are shooting them in the head when they're down right?

These guys can take more than one hit if what I saw in the demo was correct.  So if you kneecap them, and then shoot them once somewhere non-vulnerable, they might still have enough health to getup.  So, just take the extra time to line up a headshot.

I mean come on, what self respecting gamer doesn't know to shoot zombies (and zombie-like people) in the head?  Well, that and run like hell if that still doesn't stop them.  Tongue
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2005, 12:49:48 PM »

Zero complaints from me on this one.  The two mega creatures I fought have been two of the funnest gaming experiences for me in a long time.  the production values soar with this one.  

As to the controls, none of these RE games bother me, so, I like it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2005, 02:04:52 PM »

played thru the first 2 chapters last night, &, as okay as the game's been so far, i've yet to be really wowed (i realize it's still early) like i was pretty much from the get-go with some other recent big releases...

it's undeniably beautiful & high-value, but, like others up here, some fundamental control issues (inability to look around (resulting in quite a bit of disorientation), or move when using the knife (?!), or knowing where to be to trigger kick (every time i've pulled it off so far it's been by accident)) have taken a certain amount of fun out of the experience - for me, anyway, it feels like they've simply replaced the former quirky, not-so-intuitive controls with new quirky, not-so-intuitive controls, which make the unbelievably glowing reviews the game's received so far seem kinda like re deja vu - wasn't "once you get used to the controls, the game's fun" what people said about the first couple? (with which i agree, btw, but none of these reviewers seem to remember or mention it)...

anyway, i do feel i'm getting a better grip on things as i go along, & am (hopefully) a boss battle or 2 away from being as impressed as others are. it's resident evil, & i'm happy - but hey, - i was happy with all the previous games in the series, too...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2005, 02:30:10 PM »

I actually like the controls.  It takes a little time to get used to them , but if you really break down what this game is the controls fit it perfectly.

If you could move really fast and have a recticle that gave perfect aim then you would have a fps shooter.  You have to approach the game with that attitude and hopefully you will find the game refreshing.  I just keep forgetting the quick turn around move, that should be used a lot.

Hint:
When they are on the ground you have to shoot them in the head about 3 times with the pistol before they die.

I am having a blast with the game too bad I have to work today.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2005, 06:49:18 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
played thru the first 2 chapters last night ...

Wow, you're really chewing through the game. I'm still at 1.3 and have been playing lots since I picked her up.

[Mini Spoilers]
I'm still totally digging the game. Um, it was suggested that the farmers weren't zombies? If they're not, then these guys are worse than zombies. Zombies know that you go down when you don't have a head. These idjuts don't. Scared the hell at me when one headless body just kept lurching towards me and grabbed a hold of me. Boot to the groin did the trick.

Oh, and someone should tell Leon that he's in a Resident Evil game. Then he'd know the meaning behind the obscure "he has our blood, muahahahaha" kind of talk.
[End Mini Spoilers]

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2005, 07:01:32 PM »

Let me state this first: I never had any problems with the control scheme in the other Resident Evil games.  I kow they were clunky compared to some games that I'd played, but in the context of the game (static camera angles, etc.) they worked just fine for me.  After 15 mins, I never had trouble moving around.

Ok onto RE4.  I'm glad that it's still Resident Evil.  I was worried with the elimination of Umbrella and zombies (at least as far in as I am) that it wouldn't feel like an RE game.  Whatever the hell those villagers are on, they certainly act like zombies.  They sound like zombies.  They die like zombies.  The first time I popped a head, I remembered the sound from previous games.  The villager even kept walking for a bit before he fell, a la previous games in the series.  ^_^

The graphics are nice, as most have pointed out, but for me they are not nearly as good as the static, prerendered stuff in other games, especially the two Gamecube exclusives.  The environments in those games were so damn good, I want all games to look like that.  I'm sure that I am in the minority with this one.  While the rooms and areas do look very nice in RE4, they are not as detailed as I would have liked and I know this is just from the transition to full 3D (and being on a console.)

The camera angle is a bit tricky, you really feel like you are living Leon's tale (as IGN reviewed I think), but I would like more access to look around.  They really should have included a free-look option where I can at least zoom into first person view even if I have to stop.  I want to look around at all sorts of stuff.  I am constantly fidgeting with the c-stick to get a better view of things, even while running to accomodate for slopes and what not.  While I don't want to play as an FPS, I would have like more control over the camera.  

Combat is GREAT!  I don't play many console games anymore, so my precision is still tuned for a mouse.  I usually have my mouse sensitivity really high too, so it took me some time (and wasted ammo) to adjust to the aiming.  I really like this part though, it's nice to drop a guy with a shot to the knee, then aim again and pop his head.  I've also shot dynamite being through at me and had it blow up in their face.  Thank you for saving me the ammo mister!  Which brings me to another point.  My first encounter with multiple zombies, I was playing like I know...conserver ammo!  Well that didn't last long as I see there is ammo galore in this one.  I have more bullets than I know what to do with and I love it!  I normally wouldn't use the shotgun until much later in the game and already I'm blowing fools up with it.  The rifle is particularly sweet, if I do say so myself.

Audio is nice, although I'm only listening through the simulated surround of my Sony Vega.  I'm sure it's much better on a better setup.  The music adds to the mood and creeps me out sufficiently.

Story has me reeled in, as have all the other ones.  I just love this world.  I always want to know what's going on with RE games.  This one is no different.

Some have commented on reloading and I have zero probs with it.  It works so well in the context of the game, I wouldn't want a button set to reload individually.  The one thing that I don't understand how they missed is a strafe function.  3D requires strafing, there's just no way around it.  I have found a hundred places where I could have used strafe.  Maybe in the next one they'll implement it.  I can get past not being able to move and shoot, but no strafe just won't do.

Now for some story speculation, so SPOILERS...

These are just thoughts written down...The Zangief looking guy (big cheese) looks entirely too much like Mr.X or whatever the Nemesis' were called.  His outfit atleast.  Also, the injection into Leon's neck, carry our blood, so on and so forth.  I have a feeling that Umbrella isn't gone after all, adn I couldn't be happier. I can't wait to see where it all goes, so please no spoiler posts without a warning.

End SPOILERS...

So aside from my gripes, I'm still enjoying it and I'm glad that I got it.  It's nice to be back in the RE universe and I look forward to seeing where this one goes.
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2005, 09:28:34 PM »

My favorite technique for taking out those villagers is either:

A) wait for them to go into a run towards me, then shoot them once in the legs. They'll fall over. Then run up to them, pull out the knife and start slashing their body on the ground. They'll start to get up... but just keep slashing and they'll die before they can attack.

B) if they don't start running, shoot them twice in the legs and they'll fall over. then slash them on the ground.

As a sidenote, you can just hold down the attack button with the knife out and you'll continue to slash.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2005, 01:44:09 AM »

I'm really digging this game as well - a lot more action based than previous RE games, but even with the control scheme frustrations it really is a lot of fun!  And it's a lot more open ended than you think as well - you can engage guys straight away,  lock yourself in a build and barricade the doors/windows with furniture, jump out of the window to suprise them from behind, etc.

Like a few other people I'm still finding combat to be difficult sometimes.  Headshots are inconsistent - some kill guys in one shot, others just slow them down.  I get the impression that I'm supposed to be able to control 'mobs' by shooting someone in the head/leg, and then run up to them to do a kick to knock the group back.  However, the context sensitive 'kick' seems inconsistent - regardless of where I aim, I'm not guarenteed to be able to do a kick afterwards.  This often results in me charging into a group of people in order to kick them only to get wasted afterwards.

Still, minor complaints about an awesome game.  While I enjoyed the atmosphere, puzzles, and presentation of the previous games, this one adds an additional element that was sorely needed - it's hella fun!

And I can't remember seeing a better looking game on any of my other systems...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2005, 01:45:36 PM »

now 2 boss battles in, & still feel i'm playing a very good, but not 'great', game. the controls do become more comfortable as you go along (if you live long enough). i'm tending to draw villagers out, back up a ways & up against something, & camp as my prefered means of engagement - i realize this kinda cuts into the excitement, but the limited view is still leaving me pretty disoriented when out in the open...

i'm guessing it's the transformation of re into a pseudo-shooter that's got some critics raving (it's as though the more someone didn't like the other games, the more he/she will like this one?) but, shooters not being one of my favorite genres, this's probably why the first 2 games of the series still seem to me to be much better games than this one (even as gorgeous as it is). but it's still early...

(side note: leon, probably the stiffest of all re main characters, continues to be so (& don't get me started on those 'codec' conversations - ugh!))...

sorry if this sounds like i'm not having fun, cuz i am - just (so far, anyway) not nearly as much as some reviewers led me to believe i would, or as i did with other games in the series...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2005, 06:13:41 PM »

Updates impressions.

I am enjoying the combat more now that I have tactics in place.  I can get the shoot and kick combo to work most of the time now.  I can even shoot thrown weapons out of the air at time.  One time I shot a guy with a dynamite stick and he dropped it and blew himself and two others up.  Good stuff.  Combat is fun.

I finished the first boss battle and I really liked it.  It was different than anything else I can remember playing.

On the second boss battle now and I died the first time, I'll have to try agian.

As was previously mentioned, the Codec conversations are terrible and unnecessary.  I don't see why they were added.

I also don't like the merchant parts.  It doesn't fit into the series (IMO) and kind of takes away from the whole thing.  Not enough to make it a bad game, but I just don't think it fits.

Story is still going strong and get's better.  As I mentioned before, I love this universe and the stories always have me hooked.

SPOILERS ON FIRST BOSS

this was really cool.  After the cut scene, I went to the lake and was shooting the water just to see the effect.  Well, after about 5 shots the monster LUNGED out of the water and ate me, scared the crap out of me!!!!

END SPOILERS.....
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2005, 07:23:37 PM »

I also don't like the merchant parts. It doesn't fit into the series (IMO) and kind of takes away from the whole thing. Not enough to make it a bad game, but I just don't think it fits.

strongly agree (tho i'd already bitched enough for one post, so didn't mention it). i think his appearances (is he supposed to serve as 'comic relief' or something?) are really jarring, & seriously detract from what is otherwise a very well-constructed, moody, realistic game world...

something else i neglected to mention: the music (ambient & otherwise) is as good as or better than any from any of the other games - they got that certain special low-key, slow, mournful, piano/string -type sound (that's immediately recognizable as 'resident evil' music) down perfectly. really well done...

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2005, 08:07:41 PM »

The combat is awesome and dynamic.

I had one of the sickle guys throw one at me.  In the air I shot it with my revolver and it went and hit him.  

Also a challenge is the weapon system.  Do you upgrade or get a new one?  It is a hard decision and not always easy to make.  I am also not sure about how many weapons to have.  The more the weapons the less ammo you get for each, because the ammo that you find is usually based on what weapons you have.

I still haven't been able to constantly kick a downed enemy.
I know practice makes perfect but in this case practice makes death,  always mine.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2005, 11:14:14 PM »

I just noticed that RE4 takes up a lot of space on my memory card. I'm using all 20 of the type writer spaces, so my space usage is maxed out, but I was still surprised that I had to clear out the memory card in order to free up some more space before the game would let me play. Just so anyone who’s thinking of picking up the game knows.

I'm still enjoying the hell out of the game, even though I'm not particularly stellar at it and often have to replay sections a handful of times to get past them without using up all my ammo and health. I don’t really care – the parts I’m replaying are more fun than the new parts in other games. Pretty sure I have the second boss waiting for me outside right now.

This is the kind of game where I hope Capcom is listening to the players and working feverously on a sequel with all of the little gameplay tweaks that bug us each a bit. I want analogue control, a strafe button or, dare I stray too far from the RE standard, a third person control setup similar to Max Payne (or a FPS like Halo): one stick moves the character, the other aims. (Still hate to think of using the ‘lil yellow Cube nipple to aim though.) I want a constant targeting dot on screen. I ... think that's about it for my niggles. Hmm, all control issues. Interesting. I guess that goes to show that I think Capcom is unnecessarily holding onto the past just a tad too much. Everything else is just awesome. Bring on RE5.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2005, 11:18:45 PM »

I love the agonizing decisions you have to make on your inventory.  I am grabbing as many weapons as I can this time through, but I think next time I am going to try just carrying the pistol and the shotgun and maxing out the fire power of each with all of my money.  The shotgun is already mega powerful, but fully maxed, I bet it is a howitzer.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2005, 06:53:57 AM »

Ok well so far I had not been really wowed, but I just finished Chapter 2-2 and that has changed.  SPOILERS if you haven't gotten that far yet.

Ok, so for those who have...damn!  Everything after I "rescued" Ashley has been INTENSE!  The village in the rain, people yelling at me from the shadows, crazy villagers on the rooftops.  All of it.  And man, oh man, that shootout in the house was crazy.  Popping heads, grabbing loot, knocking down ladders...OH MY!  It's become a short session game all of a sudden.  In the day light I was fine, but this, this is too much!  FUN!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2005, 07:30:46 AM »

The penny arcade comic from friday on this is freaking hilarious, it fits perfectly. I have the game but still havent found time to play it frown
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2005, 08:35:28 AM »

For a cool trick:

Using the regular pistol or the TMP, fire one round into a not zombie's leg. If he just drops down to his knees, run toward him. A prompt will come up for a Suplex. Yes, a suplex. You end up driving their head straight into the floor. If you have a not zombie that's already taken some damage, a lot of the time it completely finishes them off by splattering their face all over the pavement.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2005, 08:45:06 AM »

Interesting Thin_J, I have yet to see that happen.  I've done some roundhouse kicks that explode heads though.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2005, 12:43:58 PM »

Okay, I appear to be stuck.  SPOILERS FOLLOW:

I am about 19 hours in and have come across a security door that requires both Ashley and Leon to push down on levers on either side of the door to open it.  We try and are told this is some kind of special security door.  Now what?  I have roamed all over that section and have not found anything that will help.  Anyone know what I do next?

I am Xboxalot on Live.
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2005, 06:45:43 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Okay, I appear to be stuck.  SPOILERS FOLLOW:

I am about 19 hours in and have come across a security door that requires both Ashley and Leon to push down on levers on either side of the door to open it.  We try and are told this is some kind of special security door.  Now what?  I have roamed all over that section and have not found anything that will help.  Anyone know what I do next?

You have to tell her to wait in front of one switch, then go stand in front of the other yourself before checking it.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2005, 07:59:44 PM »

Ok, I just finished the game after almost 22 hours.  EXTREMELY satisfying game.  I would give it as close to a perfect score as a game can get.  The art design, the huge levels, the incredible variety in gameplay, the mindboggling bosses, the sound, the beautiful graphics, etc. etc.  

I would even have to say this was the best game I have played in my the last severl years.  And on a console at that.  Never would have thunk it.  With that ending I feel very confident that a sequel must be in the works.  Hopefully sales are what they need them to be.

Also, the two mini games that are unlocked at the end are very nice touches.  Those two alone will add tons of replay value.  One is where you get to play as Ada and collect 5 of something, I forget what they are called, and then make it to your extraction chopper.  Adds a whole new level to the game.  And the other is where you get to play as one of 5 characters, pick one of four very big areas, and then in a certain time limit see how many of the not-zombies you can take out before your chopper arrives.  The more you do, the better the star rating, and the more characters you can play as.  Also, when you are done with the game you can play through again but this time you get a Mathilda pistol and an the ability to buy an inifinite ammo rocket launcher.

I absolutely hated to see it end, but was driven like a mad man to complete-it was that good.  Played a little like Doom, a little like Half Life, and ofcourse, alot like Rez Evil games should be.  

The ONLY thing I would change in the sequel would be less door unlocking.  Seems that was 50 percent of what you do throughout the game.  The other half is killing stuff-wouldn't change that half at all.

Had no issues with the controls and am glad they were like that.  Seems they chose this method instead of making like an FPS so that some wouldn't get motion sickness.  And it works beautifully.  Plus, if they had, I think it would have been just another game.  As it stands, they have not only revolutionized the Rez Evil series, but have jump-started a tired shooting genre.

In my opinion that is.  I'm done.  Very glad I bought a Cube and this in the last two weeks.  I will most assuredly play through this jewel again.

Thanks Capcom, and bring on 5!

I am Xboxalot on Live.
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2005, 08:17:08 PM »

I was up until 5am last night finishing it.  I didn't realize it was that late until I went to bed, I thought it was like 2 or 3.  That hasn't happened with any game in a long, long time.

I've played two other RE games (the original and the Dreamcast one), both of which annoyed the hell out of me.  It was the over the shoulder perspective change that sold me on giving this one a shot, and I'm glad I did.  It's a fantastic game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: