http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 04:42:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resident Evil 4 - 9.8, 5/5, *9.6gs*...temptation official!  (Read 5374 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2005, 09:43:07 AM »

I'm not a horror game sort of guy.  I've tried several, but all have been returned because I got so damn frightened from them.

Resident Evil 4's scores from IGN {9.8} and Gamespy {5/5} have me excited!  

Such quotes as, "Simply put, this game not only delivers on the hype, it exceeds it. You will be wowed. You will be terrified." and "This is simply the best survival horror game ever created. In fact, had it come out in 2004, it would have been my pick for Game of the Year."

And that's just from the IGN review!  http://cube.ign.com/articles/577/577841p1.html?fromint=1

The Gamespy review (http://cube.gamespy.com/gamecube/resident-evil-4/577819p1.html) is also incredibly positive.  How cool does this sound?  "The game has surprisingly accurate locational damage detection making it possible to shoot weapons from an enemy's hands, drop them with a shot to the kneecap, and finish them with a bullet to the head."

It contains some of the most thrilling and intense sequences I've ever experienced in a videogame and should not be missed by any who have the opportunity to play it.  A true action survival horror!!  Thrilling and intense sequences!

I'm just excited as hell to play it.  The game looks badass.  Anyone else going to pick it up next week?

TheMissingLink on PSN
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 01:55:30 PM »

Well, it's starting to sound tempting. I'll have to check out those reviews.

Does it still have the same controls where you rotate in place and then use up and down to step forward and back? I'm not a big fan of that control scheme.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 02:07:47 PM »

Holy Hell this looks good.  Now a first day pickup for me.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 02:39:30 PM »

After playing Devil May Cry it would be hard to go back to the RE method of controlling your character.  While it sounds like they've refined the control a bit they haven't revamped it.

Pass.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 02:40:27 PM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
Well, it's starting to sound tempting. I'll have to check out those reviews.

Does it still have the same controls where you rotate in place and then use up and down to step forward and back? I'm not a big fan of that control scheme.

Sort of.  The big change is the camera- its now over the shoulder in a true 3D environment.  That means that, althought the control scheme is "similar" in layout, in actual gameplay it feels completely different.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 02:44:43 PM »

I'll be getting it. The only RE game I haven't played and finished is 0 and the online one. (The rail shooter doesn't count, that game blew ass).

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 03:27:02 PM »

38.00 with free shipping can thank cheapassgamer for this one

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4324615

Ascendent
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 04:18:25 PM »

Potentially IN! but don't like controlling my character like a tank...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 04:58:40 PM »

even tho i was very disappointed with re:outbreak, i've never really given up on this series (blame it on a life-long love of zombies? a deep appreciation of 'ed wood' -style melodrama/dialogue? or an incurable crush on claire redfield?). it's great to see that they've apparently managed to pull off something the tomb raider crew (among others) failed at - revitalizing the core gameplay/graphics, while retaining what was always good from the get-go...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 06:39:36 PM »

Oh I'm excited - and yet I couldn't have cared less as of two or three months ago. That's hype for ya. Now, RE4 is looking like a must buy, and I've got an EB gift card burning a hole in my pocket with this game's name on it.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 07:05:40 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
38.00 with free shipping can thank cheapassgamer for this one

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4324615

Ascendent

Ooooh that is a nice deal...but I'm the sort of idiot who can't wait a few days to save a few bucks - I need the game the second it comes out frown  Maybe it would be smarter to grab it only for 38 bucks...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2005, 07:29:23 PM »

Awesome deal!  I can wait a couple of days for nearly $20 off... (after tax)

After playing Devil May Cry it would be hard to go back to the RE method of controlling your character

I hated the DMC control method... You'd be pushing right to make your character go right.  He hits a scene change, and your still pushing right, but now the character is going some other direction.  Just as awkward as the so-called "tank" contol scheme IMO.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2005, 07:33:54 PM »

I've liked all the Gamecube Resident Evils, so this one looks like it might be a buy too.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2005, 07:34:30 PM »

You know I was bitterly dissapointed with most of the recent resident evils, but I think I will be at least renting this the second I can find a copy.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2005, 08:15:26 PM »

So who is getting the Chainsaw Controller to go along with it? smile
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2005, 09:02:29 PM »

That controller kicks ass!

I'm going to get it with that outpost deal...need the extra bucks for bills Tongue

TheMissingLink on PSN
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2005, 09:50:15 PM »

This wasn't even on my radar, but now it looks like I'll be getting it next week.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2005, 10:10:25 PM »

I'm picking this game up on Tuesday, no question about it.

For any Canadians out there, it looks like Future Shop is selling the game for $50 - now that's an online price, but I've never seen a difference between their website sales and the price at a store. I wonder what price EB is going to be rocking it for.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2005, 10:14:40 PM »

GMR magazine gave this a 10/10.

So sad to see that magazine go... it was the Computer Games magazine of the console world in my opinion. I always agreed with their reviews, they were brutally honest in them.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2005, 11:18:28 PM »

nowhere on that Outpost.com deal does it say when the game will ship.  For all we know the game comes out on Tuesday, but may not ship til Friday.  That means with ground you won't get it til the middle to end of the next week.  Does anyone know if Outpost ships the same day a game comes available like EB and Gamestop?

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2005, 11:27:59 PM »

Outpost is generally pretty good about shipping quickly, in my experience.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2005, 11:43:29 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
nowhere on that Outpost.com deal does it say when the game will ship.  For all we know the game comes out on Tuesday, but may not ship til Friday.  That means with ground you won't get it til the middle to end of the next week.  Does anyone know if Outpost ships the same day a game comes available like EB and Gamestop?
Outpost shipping times generally vary.  Sometimes I've gotten games right away, sometimes it's taken a week or two.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2005, 11:46:40 PM »

I don't think I want to wait that long for this one since this is my most anicipated at this time.  I will pay the $16 extra I guess and get it the day it comes out.  Stupid perhaps, but that's how I am about games I really really want.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2005, 11:54:30 PM »

I have to say I am excited for this, but the demo didn't wow me.  Maybe I just found it a little too difficult, I don't know.  The controls, while infinitely better, still seemed a little cumbersome for what is needed (quickly handling rampaging enemies).  I found myself overwhelmed a few times.  That said, I did enjoy taking out a group of enemies below me while high in the tower with a grenade (though that was pulled off mostly through luck because the controls weren't lending themselves to the situation).  Maybe I'm missing something about control, especially aiming and firing.

None the less, enough review sites are significantly wowed by this one, that I'll overlook my initial impressions and get it anyway.  It's happened before, and I've been pleasantly suprised to find my demo impressions completely off the mark.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2005, 12:18:23 AM »

webpage must be hammered over the deal cuz you can't even get to it now.  I would bet by the time the page comes back, the deal is gone.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2005, 01:48:41 AM »

Got my order in.  Decided I could wait a week to save $16 bucks.  Plus, it's not like I have finished everything else I have.  Hell, some I haven't even started.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2005, 04:14:12 AM »

I preordered it this afternoon.

Along with my current Paper Mario obsession, it seems my dusty old Gamecube has finally caught its second wind.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2005, 04:44:04 AM »

according to matt from IGN all the controls have been streamlined from the demo and make more sense. There are now hotkey functions for arming the knife and things are a lot more polished from the demo.

Very excited about the game, but I get married tomorrow and games go bye bye next week. Rob, email me, we'll be in NYC all week.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2005, 05:44:35 AM »

Though I would enjoy hooking up for a beer, I feel pretty uncomfortable letting you subject your new wife to an internet man-date on her honeymoon week. biggrin

Congrats and enjoy tomorrow. That should be a very fun day.
Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2005, 03:22:02 PM »

I haven't been this excited for a RE game since 2 was released way back on the PS.  

As for Outpost,  I've pre-orded 2 games with them and got great prices.  The first was the Sims2, which shipped quickly and I had it day after store release.  The second game was Fable, I placed my pre-order and afterwards they updated the site saying it was backordered.  I got the game over 2 weeks later.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2005, 05:01:08 PM »

Well, now the order I placed for that sale price of RE4 shows to be in 'backordered' state.  So, I am cancelling and picking up full price at EB.  

I suspect they never meant the price to be that low and now they are arbitrarily marking them as backordered in the hopes that people will cancel.  Just a thought and truth is, they may just be having a problem with their shipment.  Either way, I'm not waiting.  Could be weeks before you see the game on a backorder situation.

If you ordered from there, you might check your order as well.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2005, 06:00:10 PM »

just a heads-up to anyone pre-ordering: the gamestop pre-order includes the soundtrack...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2005, 08:23:50 PM »

It still shows up as Preorder for me...I gotta stick with outpost, though.  I need that extra 14 bucks...I hope I get it in a timely matter, though.  None of this week-later crap.  At LEAST before the weekend biggrin  Oh but shit, I'm busy.  Now I'm rambling via the keyboard.  

I'm sticking with the outpost order!  And RE4 keeps looking better and better!

TheMissingLink on PSN
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2005, 08:51:36 PM »

If mine showed preorder instead of backorder I would stick too, but I have heard nightmares of 2 weeks to get backordered stuff from them.  Not this game I'm not.  Maybe you got your order in within some time limit or something and any after that are marked for backorder becuz they didn't have enough copies on hand.  I would rather they just say that on the game's web page and let the buyer decide if he wants to wait or not.  

Oh well, I will have this week either way.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2005, 11:10:58 PM »

Oh son of a bitch, it says backordered.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2005, 12:32:10 AM »

This is the one and only game on the Gamecube that gives me the urge to run out and buy one.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2005, 08:16:31 AM »

Yup, 9.6 from Gamestop which is high for them.  Very high.  9.0 seems average from IGN nowadays Tongue

Anyway, what a positive, positive review.  Makes me giddy.  They have a video-review of it, as well...I think I'll hold off, though.  This is one I want to savor spoiler-free!

Ah, you guys love your links:

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/adventure/residentevil4/review.html?q=1&tag=gs_hp_flashtop_story

TheMissingLink on PSN
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2005, 07:30:32 PM »

Wow. I am a big fan of Greg K's reviews and the way he gushed over it has changed me from "indifferent" to "interested". Just what I need ANOTHER game to add to the cube backlog. (whimper)

And I am for sure picking up Zelda for the GBA this week. Damn, I need about 10 hours added to each day for gaming! smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2005, 10:05:12 PM »

I agree. That review made me think that other than the control issues, they have changed the game to include everything I might like and take out almost everything I did not (especially the emphasis on puzzles).
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2005, 02:46:06 AM »

I'm really looking forward to picking this one up tomorrow. God ... I hope the stores around me have the damn thing. Last time I tried to pick up a GC game on release day (Wind Waker) here in downtown Vancouver, the dick at EB said that they'd have it in a few days. Disgusting and pathetic.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: