http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 12:37:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Republic Commando Demo is up!!!  (Read 1821 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2005, 07:46:26 PM »

Saw the news at http://ve3d.ign.com/.  There are also links for download.  I'll be checking this one out tonight.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 08:26:48 PM »

In the process of d/l now almost done.  Will post some impressions

After playing it twice I can give my demo impressions

My rig:
2.17 Athlon
1 GB PC 3200 DDR
GeForce FX 5700 Ultra
40 GB HD

A modest mid range system and Republic Commando looks very pretty.  Probably cause the game was optimized for Nvidia GPU.  I was able to crank things up to high detail and not experience any slow downs or stutters.

Commanding your Delta squad is simple and easy.  For example if a spot looks good for a sniping position  when you hover your mouse over that position it will allow to send a squad member there by pressing "F" key.  I am sure there are deeper commands, but since I rarely read the Read Me file til afterwards I haven't  found out how yet.  Unit Pathing seems okay as I didn't have any problems with my unit following me.

My only issue was picking up equipment. When you hover your mouse over dropped equipment you should be able to pick it up, but sometimes you didn't get the prompt or it flashed by quickly, but I guess this will be fixed in the final version.    All in all color me impressed.  I wish the multi- player portion was working but I guess they will release that as a seperate MP demo. I will be getting this game when it comes out for the PC

edit- Wanted to add that the ambiance is quite nice.  For example some of your squad members seems much more trigger happy than the others.  One of my squad members walked up to a dead body and shot it a few times and said something to effect , " just making sure it was dead!"   made me chuckle

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 08:31:37 PM »

If it plays as well as the XBox version with fancy PC controls and a mouse, I expect some very impressed...impressions!!

I cant wait to try it, but it will have to wait until I get home at 10pm frown
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 05:20:37 AM »

you know, from watching the videos, the game didn't look that fun.  But man, after playing it, wow, it's now a must buy
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 11:33:19 AM »

Quote from: "naednek"
you know, from watching the videos, the game didn't look that fun.  But man, after playing it, wow, it's now a must buy

Really ?

Hmmm...  I got the same initial impression from watching the vids.

Maybe I need to give this one a try post haste.

When is the game do for release (pc version) ?

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 07:27:48 PM »

March 1st.

Its awesome, just awesome. this is a new demo mission-different from the xbox version and much harder.

It was awesome. THe graphics are frigging phenomenal on the PC, the control is tight as all hell, the squadmates are useful and have good AI, the combat is fast and frentic (yes it is a bit too difficult at times), the music solid, the sound is good-damn everything about this game is awesome. I cant wait to buy it.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 09:09:14 PM »

I actually downloaded the demo last night. Unfortunately it took about 30 minutes so I played RE4 until it finished.

I'll probably give it a whirl tonight if I have time after my meeting.

How does this work again?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 07:59:16 AM »

I dunno, I found the squad controls too arbitrary.

For instance, there are only certain locations where you can order your squad mates to, these are glaringly obvious concrete barrier things or objectives.  Otherwise your squad just follows you around until you get into a fight.

Luckily, when you do get into a fight, your squad is smart enough to take cover in less obvious places, like nooks in the sides, or around corners, which is really nice to see.

Still, those glaring concrete blocks detract from the game somewhat, you know there's a fight ahead and can judge its difficulty by how many blocks there are to hide behind.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 11:19:47 PM »

Not a bad game at all, although I'm having a little trouble getting used to the helmet view. Not used to all that clutter on my screen during a first person shooter.

It's nice to see it's not another game that pits you against the world (Doom 3) and you are part of a squad. I'm not into the "handwalking" (as IGN called it) you have to do with your squad as if anything I'd rather be just a regular grunt and let one of the AI players be the Commander. I don't like issuing orders and having to worry about my squad AND myself in a FPS. The more automated the AI, the better, IMO.

Even still a very decent demo from what I played. Not sure if it's going to be worth $40-$50 I'll probably wait until it hits around the $30 mark before picking it up.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 01:15:40 AM »

Not a bad game at all, although I'm having a little trouble getting used to the helmet view. Not used to all that clutter on my screen during a first person shooter.

I felt the same way till I realized it reminded me a lot of Terra Nova...then I did'nt mind so much. I still remember the wow factor in that game when it rained.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 05:23:16 AM »

I have played the demo a couple of times and not overly impressed.  It's the same feeling I have when I play SW Battlegrounds.

I think the biggest problem I have is that I played BF1942 for months if not more and loved it.  I really liked the fact that you could kill or be killed in a shot or two.

Shooting someone or something 40 times to make a kill just really gets on my nerves now.

The graphics are very nice though.

I still don't think I will be picking this one up though but that is what makes demo's great!

Pig
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 07:26:59 AM »

Yeah.. glad they released a demo. It's going to save me fifty bucks.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 07:48:34 AM »

Usually you and I are on the same page about games, but man, you are dead wrong.

Its an awesome demo smile
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2005, 11:07:00 PM »

reminded me a lot of Terra Nova...
Now THERE is a classic! We are really showing our age with that one. I still have the box, manual and cd all in perfect condition like they were just bought yesterday. Unfortunately I haven't played in years because I've been unable to get it to work under Windows XP. Seems it's a hardcore DOS game.
What a great game though. Whatever happened to Liquid Glass Studios (I think that was the name of the developer) anyway?

Back on Republic Commando to stay on topic, is anyone here willing to lay down $50 for it? I definitely see this game being picked up at $29.99 but anything more IMO is pushing it too much because there are plenty of other FPS games on the market that offer squadplay as well.
I tried playing again and after about 5 minutes I got bored and tired of the helmet view again, right where you get to that fortress and the enemies start jumping out of the walls. Blast.. blast.. blast! Over and over, until I got bored. my teammates really did require too much handholding. I told one of them to snipe at a certain location and he stayed there while the enemies jumped out of the wall from behind him and he didn't even move until I had to tell him to come back to me. How can you get attached to a squad (as they say you will) when they have the intelligence of a small child who has to rely on an adult to tell him what to do?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2005, 12:39:09 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
reminded me a lot of Terra Nova...
Now THERE is a classic! We are really showing our age with that one. I still have the box, manual and cd all in perfect condition like they were just bought yesterday. Unfortunately I haven't played in years because I've been unable to get it to work under Windows XP. Seems it's a hardcore DOS game.
What a great game though. Whatever happened to Liquid Glass Studios (I think that was the name of the developer) anyway?

That's Looking Glass Studios you are thinking of.  If I am correct, most of them went on to form Irrational Games.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2005, 06:10:38 AM »

Quote from: "Graham"
That's Looking Glass Studios you are thinking of.  If I am correct, most of them went on to form Irrational Games.

Not really. Irrational Games was initially just 3 people from LGS. They formed Irrational and were using office space at LGS for a bit while working on SS2.  From the SS2 Post Mortem on GamaSutra by Jonathan Chey:

Let's step back and trace the origins of the companies and the project. Looking Glass Studios is familiar to many as the creator of a series of highly innovative titles including the original System Shock, the Ultima Underworld series, the Flight Unlimited line and Terra Nova, among others. Three years ago, Ken Levine, Rob Fermier and I were developers at Looking Glass, struggling with the aftermath of Voyager, an aborted Star Trek: Voyager-licensed project. At the time, Looking Glass was in financial and creative disarray after a series of titles that, though critically acclaimed, had failed to meet sales expectations, the latest being Terra Nova and British Open Championship Golf. Frustration with the 18 months wasted on Voyager and a certain amount of hubris prompted three of us to strike out on our own to test our game design and management ideas. We wanted to nail down a rigorous and technologically feasible design, focus on game play, and force ourselves to make decisions rather than allow ourselves to stagnate in indecision. We wanted to run a project.

So we formed Irrational Games. After some misadventures with other development contracts, we unexpectedly found ourselves back at work with Looking Glass as a company rather than as employees. Initially, our brief was to prepare a prototype based on the still-in-development Thief technology recast as a science-fiction game. The scope of the project was very wide, but we quickly decided to follow in the footsteps of the original System Shock. Our initial design problem was how to construct such a game without the luxury of the actual System Shock license, since no publisher had yet been signed. Our initial prototype was developed by the three of us working with a series of contract artists. Our focus was on the core game-play elements: an object-rich world containing lots of interactive items, a story conveyed through recorded logs (not interaction with living NPCs), and game play realized through simple, reusable elements. This focus enticed Electronic Arts into signing on as our publisher early in 1998 - a fantastic break for us. It meant we could now utilize the real System Shock name and characters.

After Looking Glass shut down most everyone scattered with some going to Irrational, a good bulk to Ion Storm Austin, and the rest went elsewhere.

How does this work again?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: