http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 08:17:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replaying KOTOR1 and 2  (Read 1301 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2013, 10:00:04 AM »

Been playing this for a few days now

It was actually KOTORII i wanted to play because i rebought that a few years back brand new and still hadn't touched it..but i thought i would replay through the first game before i crack on with the second

Knights of the Old Republic was released in 2003,so it celebrates 10 years this year

Looking at the graphics,they still pass,and the story is decent enough

however the combat is pretty awful and there are parts that can drag in the game,it took me 7 hrs to get off the first planet,but i am now up to 17hrs and just left Manaan(the 5th Planet)
Manaan was quite the drag as well,at least on the surface,too much leg work required back and forth(especially during that trial),and Manaan is the first place where a decent map is very much needed if you really don't know your way around,the other planets you could make do

Thankfully you went below the surface and things picked up for that planet and it was miles better than up top

Unfortunately the disc that looks perfect and has no scratches whatsoever would not play on my original Xbox,which plays all my other games fine,So i have had to play this game on my Xbox 360 Slim

hell of a lot of problems playing this game on the 360,slow down,loss of sound until reboot,speech always stutters,notices saying my controller is not connected even though i am using a wired controller which means I can't progress or get rid of the notice so i have to reboot...but,i am still playing,and maybe that is a sign of a good game

I also have to switch my TV to 'Smart' picture ratio as the game is 4:3 on the 360(i could fuck about with the 360 settings,but one button press on the TV fixes the problem)

Of course i can't help thinking what this game could look like on current gen(not including PC's SWTOR),Tatooine could be bigger and more lively or the trees of Kashyyyk could look more alive,and some side quests could be bigger or better...a dream i guess

Would this game get the great scores today if re-reviewed?,i think the Combat would let it down massively not sure what the original reviews made of that,and the inventory is ..well i just don't go in there unless i have to,but i can still see this game getting at least a decent score

But anyway,If you are thinking of replaying KOTOR in the future,make sure you either play on the original Xbox or PC
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:30:50 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »

I really enjoyed Kotor 1, but you're right about the initial pacing before you get your lightsaber, it takes forever.  I think it took me about 6-7 hours too.  I burnt myself out on Kotor 1 after 2 1/2 playthroughs. 

I liked the pacing of Kotor 2 better, including some of the npcs, but that ending was a turd.     
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 06:42:50 PM »

Yeah unfortunately the ending is the only thing i remember from KOTOR2(I have played it once,and that was when it was originally released)so apart from that i am looking forward to playing it again,I know its a game that does still have a lot of love from people

Hopefully it plays okay on my Xbox 1,don't think i want to go through all the problems again on the 360

I should be done with KOTOR1 either tonight or tomorrow....things are really speeding up(oh and its 23 hrs i had on the clock,not 17)

There are some side missions i want to do with KOTOR,but they involve a lot of leg work-like go to Kashyyyk to get a Tech Gland for Griff(Missions brother) on Tatooine

I started to do the Assassination side mission from Manaan that has you all over the place as well,but you get Dark Side points for each kill,so i have abandoned that,and abandoned the Swoop Bike races on Manaan,i just couldn't do it...other than that though,i think i have done everything else,side mission-wise i mean(in the middle of doing Carth,Jolee,Canderous and .er,,...that cat woman's side missions,just have to keep speaking to them all the time)

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 07:33:01 PM »

I thought Kotor 2 was the better game for 90% of the game.  One of my favorite gaming moments happens in Kotor 2 during a moment of truth talk with the PC's mentor (Kreia) later in the game.  It's just so well acted by Sara Kestelman.  The music was great in that moment too.  I remember actually getting chills.

They just ran out of time to put together a quality ending.  Of the NPCs, I liked Visas Marr, the female Miraluka.  She was my PC's love interest.  Kelly Hu did a good job voice acting her.  Of course HK-47. 

It really is a great game, with an excellent voice cast for 90-95% of the experience.   
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 09:15:17 PM »

Now that the content mod for Knights II is officially complete, I need to go back and play it. It has been sitting in my closet, untouched, for several years. Hopefully it will run without me needing to jump through hoops to get it to start up in Windows 7.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 12:33:21 AM »

If anyone can tell me how I might play the PC version so that it can display fully on a wide-screen monitor, please let me know.  I have fond memories of these games as well.  Wish they'd just re-release them all with wide-screen compatibility and the added content (just throw the guys who finished KOTOR 2 some bones).
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 05:52:26 AM »

Quote from: Fez on January 18, 2013, 12:33:21 AM

If anyone can tell me how I might play the PC version so that it can display fully on a wide-screen monitor, please let me know.  I have fond memories of these games as well.  Wish they'd just re-release them all with wide-screen compatibility and the added content (just throw the guys who finished KOTOR 2 some bones).

Funny you mention - I JUST did this myself.   I used the links off this site on ModDB to get KOTOR 2 up to snuff widescreen:  http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm

For KOTOR1, it's a bit more work, but this mega-thread covers it for the original title:  http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=196884

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 02:57:15 PM »

I tried going back to KOTOR II with the restoration mod recently, but it just felt kinda boring.  Maybe it's just basis of comparison with modern games, but all the environments looked so sparse and dull, and the initial set of missions on the mining facility weren't terribly compelling.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 06:00:47 PM »

I just finished KOTOR,the last few hours were a nightmare,they just kept throwing Dark Jedi and Sith at you over and over,annoying!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 06:06:19 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 18, 2013, 06:00:47 PM

I just finished KOTOR,the last few hours were a nightmare,they just kept throwing Dark Jedi and Sith at you over and over,annoying!

at that point you should be so powerful that you could cut right through them.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 06:22:59 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 18, 2013, 02:57:15 PM

I tried going back to KOTOR II with the restoration mod recently, but it just felt kinda boring.  Maybe it's just basis of comparison with modern games, but all the environments looked so sparse and dull, and the initial set of missions on the mining facility weren't terribly compelling.

I'm getting near the end of Kotor 2. I have really enjoyed it. Stay with it. The mining level stuff is by far the worst part of the game. It gets much better after that.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 07:05:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 18, 2013, 06:06:19 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 18, 2013, 06:00:47 PM

at that point you should be so powerful that you could cut right through them.

&*^% you!!

Tongue

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 09:09:34 PM »

which mods do you guys recommend for this? Is 1.8 the latest version of the restoration mod? There seem to have been a few grips working on different restoration projects.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 06:46:24 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 18, 2013, 05:52:26 AM

Quote from: Fez on January 18, 2013, 12:33:21 AM

Funny you mention - I JUST did this myself.   I used the links off this site on ModDB to get KOTOR 2 up to snuff widescreen:  http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm

For KOTOR1, it's a bit more work, but this mega-thread covers it for the original title:  http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=196884

I wish I could figure out how to get widescreen to work.  I've gotten the latest restored content mod installed fine, but the application that is supposed to patch it for widescreen gives me error messages.  It says I need to modify the resolution in game to a certain one so that I can use a customizable one, but that resolution is NOT an option in my game. Weird.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 09:22:52 AM »

Started Knights of the Old Republic 2

WTF happened?In KOTOR1,I save the galaxy,put the Sith in 'We're Screwed' mode and the Jedi are at their strongest for a long time...then just 5 years later,the Jedi are 'officially' down to their last one and the Sith are already massively dominant..pfft,guess i am needed again

This time I am a bearded Jedi Guardian(Or Ex-Jedi at the moment)

You can really see that a lot of quality is in the title even if it is still the same game engine,especially if like me you are coming from KOTOR1 straight away,there are a lot of improvements,although the character select screen is still dogshit compared with today's games(where you can change everything from nose length to how far apart your fucking eyes are!!) it was however certainly a step up from the first game

The layout is a lot better as well,with also a lot more options that you can change on the fly(Aggressive,Ranged,Jedi fighting etc)and even swap weapons easily enough which is a big plus as some enemies have different strategies to take them down whether it be up close or from afar,so lightsaber to blaster is a lot easier to swap about
(I've not actually got my Lightsaber yet)

Again,like the first game it took me quite awhile to get off the first location(The Mining Asteroid Peragus),i would say about 5 hrs it took me

There is no timer on this game that i can see unlike the first game when you saved it,now it shows the time you saved the game,as in AM/PM,so it's going to be hard to see if i put in a longer stint than i did with KOTOR1(31hrs)

It got me thinking if the end is so messed up,i wonder why devs don't make the beginning of a game and the end of the game first and then work on the inbetween stuff,so if need be some of the inbetween stuff could get fobbed off...because i remember this games ending being all over the place,but replaying now,there are 7 worlds to visit ..SEVEN!! and by the looks of it,none of them are short,and in the story you have to also return to many of them as well and then you have final place to go...think i would rather have one of those cut than a fucked up ending,but i guess they weren't expecting LucasArts to come down on them like they did

As i said above though,i have not played this game since release so perhaps the ending wont be as bad as i remember it ninja

I also remember when i did initially play this game,i missed a lot,a lot of sidequests(HK-47 did not become a party member for instance),well,when i rebought this game a few years ago,I also bought the Prima guide brand new(which came with a DVD for some reason)because of remembering missing so much,so been using that which is a million times better than the prima guide for the first game

Oh and playing this on my Xbox1,not 360 this time so straight away its going to look and sound better than the first because of the problems i had playing on the 360
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:31:34 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 11:08:57 AM »

Came across my first bug while in Telos(so decently early on)

Its a Bounty Hunter side mission where you are to catch a couple of Escaped Criminals,they are supposed to appear at the Czerka Offices,but after trying to find them for an hour or so i looked it up online and found that that mission is bugged and most of the time they just don't appear,so that means i can't finish it,and the mission stays open in my journal(I hate that)

There is a timer on your saves afterall,so i can see that i have just over 9hrs played,just finished Telos and landed on Naa Shadaar

I really like when you have gained Light Side,as it plays Luke's Theme(?),unfortunately my hopes for the Empire theme when earning Dark Side didn't happen,i don't actually recognize the music for the Dark Side

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 01:04:44 PM »

Greatest games on the XBOX.  II is the better.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 06:49:18 PM »

The next planet(Naa Shadaa) took me 8 hrs,it was a complete slog....but then i was on Forest Moon Dxun and that too just over an hour,and looking in my guide,the next planets(Onderon,Dantooine,Korriban),don't look that big,probably have this done by weekend

Got my Lightsaber last night :swoosh:...'bout bloody time

Activated HK-47 as well icon_biggrin

Quote from: Roguetad on January 17, 2013, 07:33:01 PM

I thought Kotor 2 was the better game for 90% of the game.  One of my favorite gaming moments happens in Kotor 2 during a moment of truth talk with the PC's mentor (Kreia) later in the game.  It's just so well acted by Sara Kestelman.  The music was great in that moment too.  I remember actually getting chills.

I am sorry,but she is about to get the kick,i am sick of her nagging me everytime i do something,it's getting really annoying,she is only in my party because she has Force powers

Its especially annoying when the answers you can select to give her for some of the things you are doing,are not YOUR answers...my answers while shouting and going red at the Television screen at 3am this morning,were much better,and had more swearing icon_biggrin

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 10:42:24 AM »

Finished KOTOR2 now,the ending wasn't nearly as bad as i remember it,it just has a few things unanswered

Spoiler for Hiden:
While on the last planet,Malachor V

The remote had just set all 4 explosions to go off,before G0-T0 steps in(hovers in) and threatens him that he can't blow up the planet or it would get rid of the Sith and then it would be an unequal universe

we didn't go back to that

Mira defeated Hanaar the wookiee bounty hunter,and then she walked off

The Ebon Hawk crashed on Malachor V and was stuck inbetween two rocks,but managed to fall free after a planetquake,but last we saw before the end was it in freefall

so the end scene just consisted of the Ebon Hawk hovering near the Sith Academy and then flying off into space

makes you come up with the Ebon Hawk fell but it was able to fly/gain control before being destroyed,it picked up Mira and the player before setting off into space

I can't really come up with what happened with the Remote and G0-T0,the planet exploded so the Remote must of been able to set the charges without G0-T0 stopping him...we knew the Remote was on a suicide mission anyway

and although the end cutscene was just 5 seconds long of the Ebon Hawk getting out of there and then credits started,if you asked Kreia before you killed her she tells you what happens to everyone and all their futures(and planets futures as well)

so yeah better than i remember,i had no problems at all with any other part of the game i don't think no bugs at all,shame it has quite a reputation this game(probably spread by me Tongue)

right,now where the fuck is KOTOR3?

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 01:12:06 PM »

How is it you played 60+ hrs of video games in 8-10 days?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 03:12:10 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 25, 2013, 01:12:06 PM

How is it you played 60+ hrs of video games in 8-10 days?

I wasn't actually aware it was a lot of hrs in 8-10 days,As I actually have not been on video games as much as usual recently,although i have just finished Fallout 3+DLC again in this month

But I did also put a few hours into Dead Rising and Final Fantasy 3,and cleared a lot of my TiVo box(The Grey and Cleanskin and a weeks worth of The Tonight Show)

Last night i was 27hrs in KOTOR2 on planet  Onderon and played right through to the end(8:30am this morning) 35 hrs on the clock at the end of the game,so at *looks at time* 3:10pm,i have still not been to bed yet,i'll have a bit of a kip later on

As how can i fit it all in?do you really want to know?
well I'm unemployed after long term illness..Cancer..(seems the firms think they will catch what i had if they employ me,or so it seems)...hence why i am playing old games in the first place Tongue ..and i have no other life of any kind as well(no girl,no kids,no friends,LOL)

Anyway......as for KOTOR
I know a lot of people have had a go at The Old Republic MMO,but i know if it came to consoles i would be all over it

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 03:26:41 PM »

You've got friends, mo, don't kid yourself.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 04:44:47 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 25, 2013, 03:26:41 PM

Yeah i spend more time on here with you guys  icon_biggrin

so,what game next?...I am thinking Final Fantasy 8,still never finished that one and save Morrowind(GOTY) for another time,never finished that either,i got angry last time i played it because it wouldn't let me steal a Sword from the top of a Wardrobe without getting caught..ahem

The demo of Republic commando on KOTOR2 disc(which i actually didn't try),has got me wanting to pick that game up again,i can't believe we are two months away from it being 8 years since that game was released

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 06:51:07 PM »

Get a room!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 07:42:21 AM »

Quote from: ATB on January 25, 2013, 06:51:07 PM

Get a room!

icon_lol

KC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2013, 03:01:59 AM »

I just finished KOTOR2 on the PC. with the restoration mod.  I originally played the first one on the Xbox about 10 years ago. I think I liked the first one much better, probably because the plot twist was so dramatic. Even with the restoration mod, KOTOR2 felt unfinished. I did notice that there were a lot of similarities between this game and Mass Effect though:

1. One of the KOTOR2 minibosses was named Darth Nihilus.
2. On Dantooine, there were these creatures that looked like praying mantisses, just like the Keepers on the Citadel.
3. The ability to have a PG romance with the female characters.

I'm glad I played KOTOR2 to finish the series. I doubt that I will play them again though. I just finished Mass Effect 1 before starting KOTOR2, so I guess it is time to go back to Mass Effect 2.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 03:13:11 PM »

Eurogamer has a pretty great article about KOTOR II development from Obsidian,and what could've been with KOTOR III

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 03:42:06 PM »

thumbsdown or  thumbsup......

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: