http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 02:48:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: replayed F.E.A.R.  (Read 942 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2005, 11:45:27 AM »

Wow, while there are some flaws (like with anything...) this  game rocks. I`ve played it twice now, and I`ll play it again. Maybe next Halloween or something.
 Spoilers , I guess.

The middle of it does drag, and they stretched it a bit. Quite a bit of filler in the middle. But, when it does what it does so right, this game is just extremely fun. The battles are crazy fun thanks to the ai. Just fun, that`s it!

BTW, did anyone here run it with a system with 512mb , and a lesser ati card. Not sure which one. I`m gonna check. I have a friend that wants to play it, but hes not sure how it will run on his machine. Doom3 runs well on it he says, so I figure... Any ideas?
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 12:18:10 PM »

I seriously doubt he will be able to play it without some lag during battles, but maybe if he turns everything way down he can get through it.  My machine lagged some at those times but since I would rather play in slo-mo mode anyway it didn't bother me.  

I too am on my second pass and I agree there are a few moments where it drags a tad overall I could not be happier.  Every time I play through a sequence I try something different and it ends up producing marvelous moments.  In slo-mo it is freaking spectacular what the ai will do.  I am constantly amazed to see them pull a filing cabinet off the wall to hide behind, or run away and yet there gun is aimed back at you the whole time firing blind as they run, and so on and so forth.  I don't notice it much unless I am in slo-mo because the action is too frenetic.  I love it.  I will play it again almost immediately and just take my time with it over the course of several months.  Maybe just save it a 3 or 4 key combat moments so I can play through them again and again trying different things.  

One thing I have loved trying is attempting to get through a sequence without shooting once and only doing melee moves to take them out.  If you pull it off, it is pretty cool.

But yeah, I agree with all you said.  Very very good game.  My pick for shooter of the year.  Closely followed by Call of Duty 2.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 02:03:02 PM »

Played it on a GF4 ti4200.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 10:11:14 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Played it on a GF4 ti4200.

Care to say howit ran?
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 03:56:09 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
Wow, while there are some flaws (like with anything...) this  game rocks. I`ve played it twice now, and I`ll play it again. Maybe next Halloween or something.
 Spoilers , I guess.

The middle of it does drag, and they stretched it a bit. Quite a bit of filler in the middle. But, when it does what it does so right, this game is just extremely fun. The battles are crazy fun thanks to the ai. Just fun, that`s it!

BTW, did anyone here run it with a system with 512mb , and a lesser ati card. Not sure which one. I`m gonna check. I have a friend that wants to play it, but hes not sure how it will run on his machine. Doom3 runs well on it he says, so I figure... Any ideas?

I played it ok on my rig with a 1.7G, 756ram and a GF3Ti200.  At a resolution of 1024x768 with the highest end effects turned off it ran smooth as silk.  I had to turn off some of the lighting effects though which took some of the creepiness away from the game.

I couldn't tell you frames rates but I don't remember a single incident of stuttering during the larger firefights(at medium settings).
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 04:34:42 PM »

I am an unabashed Monolith fanboy and yet I couldn't finish FEAR.  I just found it dry and repetitive.  Maybe I missed the sense of humor from NOLF and Blood but I loved Tron 2.0 and that wasn't exactly stand-up material.  I'm not sure what it was but it just didn't do it for me.  First game from Monolith I've been bored by.

It looked freaking amazing though.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 07:50:25 PM »

FEAR didn't really have much humor in it, so maybe that was the issue for you.

I enjoyed FEAR and will probably play it again, but having just finished Condemned on the 360 (another Monolith title using the same engine) I was struck by the fact that each game has about as much story but that Condemned is about half as long.  In other words, FEAR padded it's length with a lot of extra levels in the first 2/3 of the game.  They could have cut the warehouse levels in half and the office building levels in half without compromising the story at all.

Hopefully they will use the engine for more games.  I think FEAR sold well enough for the planned sequel so maybe they will fill that one up with something besides pointless levels.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 08:35:52 PM »

If they use it for other games, they really need to soften up the lighting engine to get more dynamic scenes.  The engine is capable of rendering brightly lit areas and bright colors, as shown by a mapper's remake of the Hydro map from No One Lives Forever.  But the shadows are all too dark and hard edged to fit with it.

Considering how well FEAR sold, there's no doubt in my mind that FEAR 2 is coming, let's just hope they actually make use of the interesting cast they setup in the first game, and bring back all that great environment design we found in NOLF.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: