http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 12:28:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Refurbished systems  (Read 1357 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 01, 2005, 07:07:35 PM »

Anybody here have experience with buying refurbished systems (specifically a PS2) from somewhere like GameStop?  

I realize this is the original model and not the new, smaller design but that doesn't matter to me at all (and I'm not personally a fan of the top-loading design).  The only thing I'm concerned about would be reliability and customer service in case of a dead system.  

Actually, were there many problems reported with the non-first run original design of the PS2s?  I had heard reports of problems with the very first run, and similarly with this new design but not much in between.

If anybody has a good condition used one they'd like to get rid of I'd consider that, also (given they are an active CG/GG member and not in poor standing on the trades board).  Or if there are any deals were I could trade in some of my cheapo XBox games and get a good deal on a PS2 that would be good, too.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 06:50:24 AM »

if anything I'd buy it from a place that still offers the 6 month extended warranties on them.I know Gamestop had stopped offering them and instead insures any system for 90 days after purchase.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 12:04:04 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  I guess I don't know of anybody that offers a 6 month warranty like that; or at least not one that also sells used and refurbished units.  

Maybe I'll just end up buying a new one, but I thought if I could save $30-40 that could buy me a few of the classics that I haven't gotten to play on the other systems.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 01:22:43 PM »

EB does six month extended warranties on refurbished systems.  If you're getting a PS2, even if you get a new one, get a warranty with it.  The things have major issues.  Not all of them break down, but an incredibly high percentage of them do go out at some point.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 02:54:19 PM »

Quote from: "Chaz"
EB does six month extended warranties on refurbished systems.  If you're getting a PS2, even if you get a new one, get a warranty with it.  The things have major issues.  Not all of them break down, but an incredibly high percentage of them do go out at some point.

Thanks, Chaz!  Do you know off-hand if they charge extra for the 6-month warranty?  I'll check out the EB near me and see what's up with them.  Surprisingly I have 5 or 6 GameStops in pretty close driving distance, but only 1 EBX.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 10:45:34 PM »

Should be $11 extra for the 6 months.

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 03:49:50 PM »

Personally, refurbished systems are not worth the money. These systems by their design crap out after use. So you are buying someone elses headache. IF it was an N64 with no moving parts.. MORE POWER TO YOU.. but an Xbox with DRE and PS2's I say the 10$ savings is fools gold.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 11:58:04 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
Personally, refurbished systems are not worth the money. These systems by their design crap out after use. So you are buying someone elses headache. IF it was an N64 with no moving parts.. MORE POWER TO YOU.. but an Xbox with DRE and PS2's I say the 10$ savings is fools gold.

While I'm not too sure about the Xbox's 'quality', never, never, NEVER buy a refurbed PS2. As Ron can tell you (and I can confirm, as we both worked at EB at one time), the original PS2 design was simply designed to fail and were built by morons. We'd get shipments of consoles all the time that were defective.

The GBA and Gamecube are great refurbed machines - never heard of a system going bad on them. The Xbox had the occasional issue with bad/old DVD drives, but beyond that, it's a pretty solid system.

The old PS2 design was crap.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 04:59:38 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
The old PS2 design was crap.

Is the redesign okay?

PSN ID: EduardoX
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 05:48:56 PM »

The original PS2 desing was utter crap. Nothing worked. What a disaster. Sadly in the versions following it, they only lowered the fil rate from 80% to 30%.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: