http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 11:16:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Red Steel 2  (Read 1619 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2009, 02:22:47 PM »

the real question is: will it work as advertised? I played part of the first one but got sidetracked by other games and never got back to it, but this one seems to have a more futuristic feel to it (unless they say otherwise in the audio- no speakers at work  thumbsdown) than I remember the orginal having.  the graphics do look pretty nice for the Wii.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 02:27:41 PM »

The first game was terrible.  This one looks to have moved up to mediocre.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 02:35:53 PM »

no,i really didn't like the first one at all...i was looking forward to it as well,but the controls for both the sword play and the moving was annoying..i may of got an hour or two into it,maybe it got better as i didnt stick around to find out

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 02:37:18 PM »

The game looks quite good, and if they can actually match the swordplay to the Wiimote, I think it'll turn out quite well.

That said - the original was a so-so game with lousy ass controls.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 02:39:20 PM »

I enjoyed the original, despite it's flaws, though I never finished it.  I have no doubt if I tried to finish it now, I would hate it.

Fortunately, this new one seems to have nothing to do with the first one.  It looks much better to me.  However, I'm skeptical that they can pull off the graphics they're showing.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 06:28:49 PM »

They lost me at the beginning of that video when they boast the "#1 3rd Party Wii Launch Title", they forgot to mention "3rd party launch title with the worst gameplay evar!" That boast leads me to think that Ubi hasn't paid attention to player feedback or reviews. Like others here I tried to play the 1st game, but lost interest in it quickly due to many shortcomings. The controls were poor to be sure, but what really killed the game for me was the inconsistency in the visuals; at one moment you'd be in a great looking environment and in the next you'd be in one with placeholder textures and crap lighting.

From what little is featured in that video the graphics are within the capabilities of the Wii, especially if you compare it to Metroid Prime 3. Using the Motion Plus could very well solve issues that the original had with controlling swords. It could be a good game if Ubi actually takes the time to finish it, but the formula 'Ubi = craptastic Wii games' is too strong for me to hold out much hope for it.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 08:40:50 PM »

Im interested but not sold. Being Motion Plus exclusive is a good sign, and I Like the visuals. I know that Ubi Montreal has been helping and I bet the look was the first thing they addressed.  I will definitely wait for hands on impressions,and hold out hop they get it right.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 10:29:37 PM »

If they can match the controls like it looks like they do in the video that would be awesome but I thought No More Heroes did a much better job with sword motion controls than the original did.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 07:34:33 PM »

I'm someone who actually liked Red Steel 1, sure it wasn't the best game, but sweeping a room with an Uzi using the pointer was pretty fun.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 07:21:19 AM »

a dev explains why the new setting.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 09:58:47 AM »

The idea behind the first one was brilliant, the implemention horrible. I got this game with my Wii, tried it a few times, and them simply couldnt muster enough interest to try it again...

A new one
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 10:50:08 AM »

Red Steel was a terrible game, with bad graphics, a bad framerate, and is the only FPS I've played on the Wii that I felt controlled WORSE than a gamepad. I will never buy any sequel, ever, as punishment for me throwing away $50 on the first one.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 02:43:02 PM »

Quote from: JCC on July 03, 2009, 10:50:08 AM

Red Steel was a terrible game, with bad graphics, a bad framerate, and is the only FPS I've played on the Wii that I felt controlled WORSE than a gamepad. I will never buy any sequel, ever, as punishment for me throwing away $50 on the first one.
So, do you often cut off your nose to spite you face? Even if everyone else thought it was better than any other game ever, you still wouldn't be interested? Interesting
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 02:45:09 PM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 03:14:30 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on July 03, 2009, 02:43:02 PM

So, do you often cut off your nose to spite you face? Even if everyone else thought it was better than any other game ever, you still wouldn't be interested? Interesting

I'll take my chances, but somehow I think it's unlikely that RS2 will be considered the best game ever by anyone.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 03:42:50 PM »

Quote from: JCC on July 03, 2009, 03:14:30 PM

Quote from: Tebunker on July 03, 2009, 02:43:02 PM

I'll take my chances, but somehow I think it's unlikely that RS2 will be considered the best game ever by anyone.

I'll agree, but I don't think I'd ever rule something out because of bad prior experience.Things can get better, and to be honest, after watching the E3 Demo video the game looks like a lot of fun.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 05:49:35 PM »

I wasn't going to get this until I saw reviews, but it was smiling up at me in Costco, and I just couldn't resist.  Of course, reviews have started coming in now, and they're actually pretty positive (Joystiq and Kotaku are the ones I've seen)

Joystiq's summation pretty much echoes my thoughts, so I'll put it here:

If you go into Red Steel 2 expecting a revolutionary FPS experience, you're going to be disappointed. But if you take it for what it is -- a unique first-person, sword fighting action game -- it's really good fun. Apart from thin plot and some so-so voice-over, it's a highly polished title that puts a lot of Wii efforts -- especially the first-person variety -- to shame. Can I recommend it to every "core" Wii owner? Unfortunately, no. It's just not that triple-A, must-play game. But will most gamers get a lot of fun out of it? That I can promise.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 02:34:48 PM »

here's an IGN video review

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 02:58:49 PM »

Well, hell... this one went from 'no interest because it has Red Steel in the title' to 'dang, may need to actually pick the damn thing up and dust off my Wii' after watching the IGN review. Does it (optionally) come with the Motion Plus? It requires it according to IGN and I no gots one.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 03:08:17 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 24, 2010, 02:58:49 PM

Well, hell... this one went from 'no interest because it has Red Steel in the title' to 'dang, may need to actually pick the damn thing up and dust off my Wii' after watching the IGN review. Does it (optionally) come with the Motion Plus? It requires it according to IGN and I no gots one.

yeah, there is a version that comes packed in for a ten dollars more, which saves you about 10 bucks from having to buy the motion plus separately.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 03:08:51 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 24, 2010, 02:58:49 PM

yep.

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 03:24:30 PM »

Cool, thanks guys... and got. [sigh]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 10:18:46 PM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 10:36:52 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 24, 2010, 03:24:30 PM

And now you have to tell us who are waiting the wings to see how it is. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 11:58:34 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 24, 2010, 10:36:52 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 24, 2010, 03:24:30 PM

And now you have to tell us who are waiting the wings to see how it is. biggrin

Ack... you mean actually turn on my Wii and figure out how to slip my Wiimote into that... WiiMotionPlus sleeve thing? (quiet you) Ok... brb... only had time to give it a brief go, why do games insist that one must play right-handed?  icon_confused  I wonder what kind of evil things will happen if I hold the WiiMote Southpaw style? 

Only spent something like 5 minutes on it but liked what I've seen so far - the cel shaded look, the controls seem tight, climbing/jumping is automagic as you press A when prompted at walls and gaps and he goes up/over like a good little monkey. Kind of Old Skool as everything you break has coins in it, so much ching-ching-ching-chinging went on as many bottles, crates and barrels met their end from my gun or mighty fists. No clue what I can buy with it yet. Dead enemies pop up color-coded goodies you run over to pick up. Looks like it will be fun, we'll see how things are when I get my katana back.  Pretty cool intro, btw, first thing to do is hunt down the bastardo that took it from me. disgust

-craig

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 12:28:00 AM »

I hadn't planned on getting this game since the first one wasn't very good so I looked past it. Then the reviews started coming in and they were good and so I went out and picked it up and was impressed. It's a Western/Japanese/Cowboy action game with swords and guns plus it's the first 3rd party game that requires the motion plus attachment.

The sword play, although not quite 1:1, does mimic your actions so it slices in the direction that you input and thrusting attacks work. The game detects how hard you swing and you will get more damage if you hit enemies with more force. You can tweak just about everything control wise so if you are lazy and don't want to swing with a full mostion you can set it to relax and just use your wrists.

I like the atmosphere of the game, they went with cell shaded graphics like Borderlands and the music is Western with a touch of Japanese influence. There are a ton of moves to learn and since you duel wield weapons you are able to juggle enemies by slicing them up into the air then blasting them with pistols or shotguns. The AI has been pretty good you can have multiple enemies they will attack at once so you must use your locking technique frequently. They finishing moves are pretty cool but there isn't any blood.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 12:29:39 AM »

Quote from: shon on March 25, 2010, 12:28:00 AM

They finishing moves are pretty cool but there isn't any blood.

Madworld used up the next couple years worth of Wii-blood.

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 01:53:37 AM »

So... is this a 'play it while sitting on your couch' kind of game, or do you really want to be standing for all the katana action?

-craig

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 04:54:57 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 25, 2010, 01:53:37 AM

So... is this a 'play it while sitting on your couch' kind of game, or do you really want to be standing for all the katana action?

Couch has been fine for me.  They keep telling you to "use your whole arm" (which makes me want to sing "Moon River," for some reason), but it hasn't been necessary so far.  There are more powerful swings and lighter swings, though, so you do have to use a little force at times.

As I mentioned earlier, I am liking the game a lot.  I can see it bogging down into monotony over time.  That won't be for everyone, but I kind of like it (I do like to take extended breaks from these types of games, though).

One weird thing is that the map outside the homebase door seems to change with new missions.  In other words, where there was once a square courtyard when exiting the main door, suddenly, there is a more angled square with a fountain in the middle.  It's just loading a mission, of course, but there's no explanation for it, and it takes me out of the world for a moment.  Easy enough to get used to, but it's odd.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2010, 05:43:53 PM »

I just got this in the mail from Gamefly.  I'm hoping to get a chance to play this weekend and finish it before I cancel my sub to GF so I can focus on my backlog.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2010, 07:41:20 PM »

finally got around to firing this up, and wow, it's actually pulled me away from RDR.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: