http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 05:03:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Red Rings on my Xbox 360..  (Read 2737 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2006, 12:21:44 PM »

I was just playing fine last night, no problems at all.
And then today when I get home I went to load up Saints Row, and all the red lights came on in the circle.
Actually all lights are blinking red, except the top right one which is a very light red.. but it's still red.

I tried all the connections, pulled the power plug out and put it back in, everything is connected right.
And now it wont even let me open up the dvd drive!!

My 360 was manufactured in april of 06.. so it's only 5 months old. Damn I thought I'd get more play time out of it than this! And even worse I just got my HDTV yesterday, gamed on it for about 2 hours, went to work for the night, and came back to this..

Just when you think your 360 is indestructible, the evil red lights hit you too.  mad

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 12:30:35 PM »

If your power supply is connected to a surge protector, disconnect it, let your powersupply sit disconnected from both the xbox and the outlet for a few minutes, then plug straight in to a wall outlet and try the 360 again.  My very first xbox did something similar and had all 4 lights blinking together and it ended up being the power supply.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 12:52:06 PM »

Thanks Arkon, tried that but to no avail unfortunately.
It looks like its 3 lights blinking red, all of them except the top right corner one. When I hit the power button my power brick stays yellow (though it blinks red when I turn it on) so it very well may be the power supply.

I was fortunate last time my 360 gave me problems - brought it back to target (within 30 days) and walked out with a new one.

Finally having my HDTV as of yesterday, I now know how the rest of you guys feel who've had to send your 360's in for repair..

Any other suggestions before I have to call MS?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 01:04:07 PM »

Yeah, that's frustrating...one second it works, one second it doesn't.

Maybe your FLGS has a power cord on a used one you could plug in and see if that's the problem?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 01:52:22 PM »

There was a site that allowed you to get a more definite answer as to why the 360 was Red Ringing, but I don't know where the link went offhand. But it would allow you to find out why the 360 stopped working (or at least why it thinks it stopped working).

*digs around for a second*

According to this site the 4 red rings of death means that your AV cable is bad and/or can't be detected.

If it's just 3 rings (NW, SW, and SE), then it's the general failure error (and the red light is just leaking to the NE corner, which is why you see it really light), and the link I gave you might give you a more specific reason as to why your console died. Give it a try and see what it says. Look for the section of the post called Secondary Error Codes.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 04:06:12 PM »

Man, what crappy timing!  Sorry to hear it, corrupt.  Hopefully something from that thread can help you out. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 04:10:44 PM »

I have a suggestion.  When I called in to microsoft with mine this week, the tech guy had me get a code.  The flashing lights will change and that is how you get the code.  Follow the steps below to make the lights change.

1.  Hold the connect button, lights might change here, I don't remember
2.  Hold the eject button
3.  Release the eject button, but continue holding the connect button
4.  Hold the eject button

Each time the lights change, write down the number of lights.  You should get a four digit code.  Then call and talk with tech and tell them that you did that and that was the code you got.  If you are doing this, and the lights don't change, it is that number again.  I.E. 2 flashing lights, you let go of eject and hold again and nothing happens after a few seconds, it is 2 again.  Originally, they thought that it was my Hard Drive, but after doing that they knew it was the video encoder.

Anyone try this.......hopefully you don't need it but I hope that it helps

Let me know if you have any questions, like I said, I went through this on Thursday!
Is it giving you an error code on screen?  It never hurts to google that code.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 09:52:41 PM by papasmurff » Logged

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 11:21:28 AM »

Mine died as well this weekend. I had it since may...

My nintendo 8bit still works, but this piece of crap...  tear

I still have a warranty though, in Belgium almost all consumer products have a minimum 2 year warranty, so that's something I guess.
SjN
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 01:03:14 PM »

Ahhhhh....RRoD (Red Rings of Death)

Got good news and bad news....

The bad news? Your 360 is toast.
The good news? Microsoft will fully compensate you and repair it at no cost to you. Heck, they'll even ship you a box to mail it back to them all stamped and everything. Seems like Microsoft has egg on their faces...

Head on over to microsoft for more details:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907534

IGN did a pretty good write up on the dreaded symptom as well:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/734/734126p1.html

Best of luck to ya.
--SjN
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 02:04:33 PM »

Quote from: SjN on October 02, 2006, 01:03:14 PM

The good news? Microsoft will fully compensate you and repair it at no cost to you. Heck, they'll even ship you a box to mail it back to them all stamped and everything. Seems like Microsoft has egg on their faces...

That's good news? The bad news of the good news is that Microsoft has gotten ass cheap when it comes to shipping - it used to be 2 days, now it's a week (at best). Expect a 3 week turnaround when you go the Microsoft route.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
SjN
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 02:45:22 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 02, 2006, 02:04:33 PM

Quote from: SjN on October 02, 2006, 01:03:14 PM

That's good news? The bad news of the good news is that Microsoft has gotten ass cheap when it comes to shipping - it used to be 2 days, now it's a week (at best). Expect a 3 week turnaround when you go the Microsoft route.

Well, I guess "not-so-bad news" is a better word for it!! Either way, at least MS is correcting their screw up at no cost to you (other than time). Guys that I know are renting 360s from places like block buster, throwing their HDDs on them and gaming away. Others are catching up on the latest PS2, PSP & DS titles.

While it sucks big time, there are ways to survive the dreaded RRoD.

--SjN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 03:02:13 PM »

No, the really bad news is that it seems like your chance of 360 failure goes up after you've done an MS exchange.  Arkon's isn't the only tale of woe I've seen with people with multiple 360 failures. 
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 03:08:14 PM »

ya, I know of several people who have had systems come back from MS and they are DOA or are paper weights by the end of a week.  Jarrodhk is on his 3rd system from MS.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 04:05:17 PM »

Someone should start a website that tracks 360 serial numbers. Whenever someone sends their 360 in for a replacement, they can enter in their serial number. Eventually you might be able to see if the 360s you recieve back were someone else's broken console.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 04:51:55 PM »

Not a bad Idea!  I have heard that this is mainly an issue with launch systems.  It seems like most of our lauch systems have already crashed and burned, so it would be harder to get those numbers on there unless there is another issue with them in the future.  I definitely like that thought.   icon_twisted

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 06:08:10 PM »

icon_cry

I am now a proud member of the Red Rings XBOX support group. 

I reported it to microsoft last Monday and I shipped it off to them this morning in their pre-paid UPS box. 

I've only had the 360 for only 42 days.  How can you find out when the xbox 360 was manufactured?

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2006, 06:14:18 PM »

Manufacture date is on the sticker on the back with the serial number.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2006, 06:24:31 PM »

Quote from: papasmurff on October 02, 2006, 03:08:14 PM

ya, I know of several people who have had systems come back from MS and they are DOA or are paper weights by the end of a week.  Jarrodhk is on his 3rd system from MS.

*raises hand*

I got another DOA console the first time mine went dead, so I'm on my 3rd system technically as well.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2006, 09:22:59 PM »

Let me just say I am " " this close to tossing this one and buying one from costco.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 09:58:45 AM »

That's close to what I did, just sent my 360 back to MS yesterday and now I'm playing the waiting game. Not having that much patience I went to Kobra's favorite store (gamestop) and bought a new 360 along with their 2 year warranty, so now I'm going to have two 360s.
Only reason I went there and not walmart was because I had about 30 old ps2 games I didn't care for and traded them in with their extra $10 credits, so it didn't hit the wallet too bad.

MS also said on the phone that if something happens to my 2nd 360 (the one they're sending back to me) that they would send a new one the second time, although looking at some other posts I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Costco seems like a good idea though think someone mentioned they had a lifetime warranty? You cant go wrong there if you can just walk in any day with your dead 360 and walk out with a brand new one.

Looks like now I'm going to have two 360s.. though I'll probably put the one MS sends back to me on Ebay and buy a couple games and maybe the network adapter with the money I get.

jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 03:11:22 PM »

I wish I had the cash to do that.  I just sent mine back to MS yesterday, so we'll see how long the wait is and if I actually get a working unit back.  You'd think that MS would be stomping all over that shitty repair center in Texas for doing such a terrible job fixing the units.  It seems pretty clear that the incidence of people getting DOA units on the 2nd or 3rd attempt is pretty high.

Ugh.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2006, 05:47:40 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on October 03, 2006, 09:58:45 AM

MS also said on the phone that if something happens to my 2nd 360 (the one they're sending back to me) that they would send a new one the second time, although looking at some other posts I'm not sure if that's true or not.

What anyone should do before they hanging up with MS if they say that is make them put it in writing in your account and have them email you that comment as well as the reference number to that conversation.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2006, 06:07:36 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 02, 2006, 06:24:31 PM

Quote from: papasmurff on October 02, 2006, 03:08:14 PM

*raises hand*

I got another DOA console the first time mine went dead, so I'm on my 3rd system technically as well.

Ditto...though my first replacement lasted a week. Second one has been great, but then, so was my initial system for 5 months.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2006, 06:43:34 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on September 30, 2006, 12:21:44 PM

I was just playing fine last night, no problems at all.
And then today when I get home I went to load up Saints Row, and all the red lights came on in the circle.
Actually all lights are blinking red, except the top right one which is a very light red.. but it's still red.

I tried all the connections, pulled the power plug out and put it back in, everything is connected right.
And now it wont even let me open up the dvd drive!!

My 360 was manufactured in april of 06.. so it's only 5 months old. Damn I thought I'd get more play time out of it than this! And even worse I just got my HDTV yesterday, gamed on it for about 2 hours, went to work for the night, and came back to this..

Just when you think your 360 is indestructible, the evil red lights hit you too.  mad

Its dead Jim.

Just return it to Costco!   paranoid

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2006, 04:50:58 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on September 30, 2006, 12:21:44 PM

Son of a BITCH!  mad

Day one purchase that never gave me any problems. Been playing off and on the last couple weeks, and heavily (Dead Rising) the few weeks before that. Go pick up Saints Row tonight, 3 RRoD!

LiveTAG: happydog
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2006, 05:12:25 AM »

Yup.  ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST  icon_twisted.  Sucks ass as several of us have learned.

RRoD strike yet again.

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2006, 05:28:56 AM »

So what is the deal with the hard drive when you send in your box? Do I have to send 'everything', or just the console itself? If I do have to send the HD is it best to assume I won't get the same one back, or a blank one?

LiveTAG: happydog
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2006, 01:32:56 PM »

Quote from: happydog on October 04, 2006, 05:28:56 AM

So what is the deal with the hard drive when you send in your box? Do I have to send 'everything', or just the console itself? If I do have to send the HD is it best to assume I won't get the same one back, or a blank one?

Do not send back the HD unless Microsoft absolutely demands it (which they won't). You won't get the same one back. Odds are it's just the console that's fubar anyway.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2006, 02:08:26 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 04, 2006, 01:32:56 PM

Quote from: happydog on October 04, 2006, 05:28:56 AM

Do not send back the HD unless Microsoft absolutely demands it (which they won't). You won't get the same one back. Odds are it's just the console that's fubar anyway.

I even kept my faceplate... now I have a spare in case uhh.. well... I have a spare!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2006, 08:49:16 PM »

Shit I didn't even give that a second thought when I sent it.
Guess it's no big deal though as I only had a PDZ game save on there, started it over with my new 360 anyway.

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2006, 02:59:00 PM »

* sigh *

When I used up my BB warranty back in August, the BB monkey told me erroneously that I could go back and get an extended warranty at  later time.  I have no warranty whatsoever at this point.  Great.  I'm going to try the troubleshooting tips, but I'll be getting a Costco membership if this thing is borked.  I need to check the manufacture date, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: