http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 08:03:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Red lights on 360 - Isolated incident or impending doom??  (Read 843 times)
Americanidle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2006, 02:46:45 PM »

Just curious if any of you guys got any red light issues on your 360 that seemed to be isolated or if I am on the road to MS service soon. (I do have the extended warranty)
I had a few lockup issues when I first got my 360 with Burnout (no red lights) and I found info that recommended plugging your 360 into a good power source. I have had mine plugged into a UPS since then. It's on an open air shelf under my tv so I don't think overheating is involved. It's been fine with no issues until yesterday.
I was near the end of Condemned and the system shut itself off and I had three red lights. The UPS also beeped for a split sec like there was a power issue. It is supposed to have voltage regulation so who knows what happened.
It took a minute to get it restarted, but it was fine for the rest of the night. I was just curious if it may have been a power issue or just an isolated glitch...or if it is a sign of things to come.
Jarrodhk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 03:40:45 PM »

Not to sound alarmist... but from what I've experienced, and heard from others, once it starts acting up it is pretty much just a matter of time until it goes out completly.

Not sure what the 3 lights means, I know someone had linked to a list of them at some point though.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 04:25:16 PM »

3 lights is hardware failure... they started for me intermittently, locking up the box with graphical artifacts, eventually restarting no longer worked.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 05:34:29 PM »

What do you do at that point? I just got mine last weekend but I'm always the worry wart. Does the standard factory warranty cover this within a certain time frame?

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 05:47:57 PM »

Quote from: "Americanidle"
Just curious if any of you guys got any red light issues on your 360 that seemed to be isolated or if I am on the road to MS service soon. (I do have the extended warranty)
I had a few lockup issues when I first got my 360 with Burnout (no red lights) and I found info that recommended plugging your 360 into a good power source. I have had mine plugged into a UPS since then. It's on an open air shelf under my tv so I don't think overheating is involved. It's been fine with no issues until yesterday.
I was near the end of Condemned and the system shut itself off and I had three red lights. The UPS also beeped for a split sec like there was a power issue. It is supposed to have voltage regulation so who knows what happened.
It took a minute to get it restarted, but it was fine for the rest of the night. I was just curious if it may have been a power issue or just an isolated glitch...or if it is a sign of things to come.

Probably just a glitch - same thing happened to me a few weeks back.  A thunderstorm knocked off the power for a split second, the UPS kicked in, and I got the three lights of doom.  I shut it down and restarted, haven't had a problem since.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 08:38:41 PM »

Quote from: "fyedaddy"
What do you do at that point? I just got mine last weekend but I'm always the worry wart. Does the standard factory warranty cover this within a certain time frame?

Yes and the time frame is ridiculously short (is it 30 days or 90 days?). Get the MS extended warranty if you have the cash.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 09:05:46 PM »

Standard warrantee is 90 days.  I've heard of MS honoring the warrantee longer than that in some situations.

They've been pretty helpful both times I've had to send mine in so far.  <crosses fingers>

Pikachu, I Blame you!
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 09:40:17 PM »

You could always rip your console apart yourself and fix it slywink
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 09:41:57 PM »

Quote from: "Jarrodhk"
Standard warrantee is 90 days.  I've heard of MS honoring the warrantee longer than that in some situations.

On the other hand I had to pay to have mine replaced. Probably because it was free.  :?

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 10:15:19 PM »

I'd make sure your video cable is secure.  You'll get the red light of doom if it isn't plugged in snug.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: