http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 04:25:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Red 5 gets $18.5 million in venture capital  (Read 1525 times)
javahead
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2006, 06:33:46 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061211/tc_nm/financial_videogames_dc_3

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Red 5 Studios, an online video-game developer led by members of the team behind the wildly popular "World of Warcraft" game, said on Monday it has raised $18.5 million in venture capital.

Mark Kern, Red 5's chief executive and former team leader on "World of Warcraft," said his California-based game studio will create original games for online game operators and distributors -- much as Pixar Animation Studios did in the movie world with its animated films such as "Toy Story" and "Finding Nemo."

"Pixar really showed that you can have a content-focused strategy," Kern said of the animated film maker that is now owned by the Walt Disney Co. (NYSE:DIS - news)

Red 5 is already working on a massively multiplayer online game for Webzen Inc. (069080.KQ) The South Korean company is financing the development of the game, which Webzen will distribute.

I thought this was interesting, but what do I know? paranoid

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 07:00:40 PM »

Well, if you are a member of Red 5 then its probably more than interesting...
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 07:33:17 PM »

I would imagine if you had a significant amount to do with the success of WoW you could pretty much write your own check for any MMO related venture.
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 08:20:48 PM »

Quote from: olaf on December 12, 2006, 07:33:17 PM

I would imagine if you had a significant amount to do with the success of WoW you could pretty much write your own check for any MMO related venture.

Or even if you can put it as a blurb on your resume.  VC's tend not to dig too deep.  I mean, look at Infinium Labs.  Or more to the point, look at the 5000 MMOGs which were 'in development' before fading away.
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 08:55:14 PM »

Well the intent of the post was to suggest that there may be another MMO on the horizon that will have some of the chemistry that WoW does. Though, as pointed out with the Infinium example, it seems more Vegas than Science.

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 09:30:22 PM »

The thing I kind of dislike, because it can at least misleading, is when they say a game is 'brought to you by the people who made WoW", in the same way Guild Wars was supposed to be from the people who "created" Diablo 2.  It's really just sexing up a group of people who were part of Blizzard's 'culture' for a while.  They were, very likely, as responsible for the creation of those games as a handful of workers were responsible for building the Sears Tower.

That's not saying they aren't creative, can't do good work, etc, but it's kind of claiming more credit than they probably deserve for the end product.  It's essentially trying to ride the success of another company's highly successful game(s).
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 04:48:32 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 12, 2006, 09:30:22 PM

It's essentially trying to ride the success of another company's highly successful game(s).

Essentially what everyone does whenever they hand out their resume  icon_smile
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 04:16:11 AM »

Quote from: kathode on December 15, 2006, 04:48:32 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on December 12, 2006, 09:30:22 PM

It's essentially trying to ride the success of another company's highly successful game(s).

Essentially what everyone does whenever they hand out their resume  icon_smile

Except my resume doesn't get handed to the marketting department to promote their next product.  Just because Jimmy spent weeks drawing boobs on night elf females doesn't mean the next game he works on at another company is the next WoW.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 07:07:49 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 16, 2006, 04:16:11 AM

Except my resume doesn't get handed to the marketting department to promote their next product.  Just because Jimmy spent weeks drawing boobs on night elf females doesn't mean the next game he works on at another company is the next WoW.

It would if you were founding a gaming company, and had previously worked on WoW.  I don't know what you're talking about with Jimmy or the boob thing, but Mark Kern was a real team lead on WoW.  Self-promotion isn't a crime.  Hell, I'd get it on a t-shirt if I worked on WoW and was founding a startup.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 07:10:27 PM by kathode » Logged
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 05:27:43 AM »

They got the name right at least.

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 10:04:55 PM »

Quote from: Redfive on December 28, 2006, 05:27:43 AM

They got the name right at least.

That took me a bit. smile

I see what you mean, Kobra, the same way as movies will be promoted as "From the people behind Independence Day comes 'Crapfest 2: The Crappening!'"  It's just part of marketing, though.
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 10:08:27 PM »

Did you just call me Kobra?
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 09:11:54 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 28, 2006, 10:08:27 PM

Did you just call me Kobra?

Whoever the hell you are. Tongue

Honest mistake.  I'm checking this from work, and since Kobra is rather ubiquitous, I've just taken to calling whoever I quote from Kobra.  It saves me the time of actually paying attention to who's speaking.

I'm not helping myself here, am I?  Hoo boy.
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 10:16:46 PM »

LOL, no big deal, I've been called worse.

Just don't call me Devil  icon_biggrin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: