http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 09:58:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: recommend me an "Awesome strategy game"  (Read 898 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2009, 07:04:40 PM »

So, I crave a new strategy game... Due to me rewatching Band Of brothers, I thought I'd try and see if the old C64 game Invasion Normandy was avaiable for PC, but sadly I cant find anything about it.

Anyone who can recommend me a great strategy game? Preferably turn based, but WWII is optional though. Oh, and I'm not interested in the Paradox games (that I've tried so far , that is) like Hearts of Iron, since I'd like to be able to understand just a little bit of whats going on...

A new one
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 07:26:46 PM »

company of heroes.  game over.

Just Hiro will do.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 07:29:31 PM »

wow - been a while since I've seen you :-)

Anyways, never tried it, so I'll be sure to look into it. Is it turnbased though?

A new one
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 07:38:58 PM »

Have you played any of the Combat Mission games? It is turn-based and very much centered on combat tactics. No resources or tech trees or anything. The smallest unit is a 3-man team and generally the battles are company-sized, sometimes battalion-sized.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 07:45:12 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on September 11, 2009, 07:38:58 PM

Have you played any of the Combat Mission games? It is turn-based and very much centered on combat tactics. No resources or tech trees or anything. The smallest unit is a 3-man team and generally the battles are company-sized, sometimes battalion-sized.

+ to the Combat Mission games, especially Operation Barbarossa. If you're looking for a different kind of strategy game I'd recommend a game I played recently - Brother In Arms: Road to Hill 30. It plays like a FPS with squad based strategy for up t o 2 squads which you command. It's definitely has a Band of Brothers feel to it.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 07:50:15 PM »

nope, heard a lot about them, but never tried them. I dont mind resorces and the like, though, but then again, perhaps wargames are more fun if its strategy and tactics that matters.

Quote from: kronovan on September 11, 2009, 07:45:12 PM

+ to the Combat Mission games, especially Operation Barbarossa. If you're looking for a different kind of strategy game I'd recommend a game I played recently - Brother In Arms: Road to Hill 30. It plays like a FPS with squad based strategy for up t o 2 squads which you command. It's definitely has a Band of Brothers feel to it.

I tried the first Brother in Arm, and while it was fun enough, I dont think thats what Im looking for. More like a game where I can sit and take my time, before moving, on a bigger scale than squad management....

A new one
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 07:52:43 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 11, 2009, 07:29:31 PM

Anyways, never tried it, so I'll be sure to look into it. Is it turnbased though?

Company of Heroes is not turn based.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 07:54:54 PM »

Quote from: RedJak on September 11, 2009, 07:52:43 PM

Hmm..okay, I may be an idiot, but while looking through Steams games, I noticed they had Civ 4, and it struck me, that I'd never played that game... Its the best of them, right?

A new one
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 08:02:54 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 11, 2009, 07:54:54 PM

Quote from: RedJak on September 11, 2009, 07:52:43 PM

Hmm..okay, I may be an idiot, but while looking through Steams games, I noticed they had Civ 4, and it struck me, that I'd never played that game... Its the best of them, right?

Yes, it's awesome and IMO the best Civ yet. However, if you're looking for a more casual, relaxed experience you might want to consider the console versions. Also excellent games, but a bit simpler.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 08:29:28 PM »

I was going to say Civ4.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 08:46:52 PM »

Checkers. I've heard it's best turn-based game ever!!!

Although I own the original Combat Mission, I despise it because Big Time deserted their lesser known titles (Flight Commander, Over the Reich, Achtung Spitfire!), and I'm still foundering for a way to run those in the post Windows 98 era.  disgust

I would still play my copies of People's General, Panzer General, Allied General etc. if I could get them to run. Maybe GoG can come to my rescue some day.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 08:50:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 09:01:26 PM »

Hearty recommendation for Combat Mission.  They're awesome, have a strong mod community, and are available really cheap.  They also had excellent thick manuals back in the day.

KC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 10:41:37 PM »

There is a freeware version of SSI's Steel Panthers game.  It plays like the old Avalon Hill Squad Leader games.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 09:48:37 AM »

Not WWII or turn based but crack open that AI War you have. Can't stop playing the game, if you keep track of the betas then the game is rapidly improving each day - which adds to the fun of playing.

My recommendation anyway smile

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 10:11:02 AM »

Quote from: Tals on September 12, 2009, 09:48:37 AM

Not WWII or turn based but crack open that AI War you have. Can't stop playing the game, if you keep track of the betas then the game is rapidly improving each day - which adds to the fun of playing.

My recommendation anyway smile

yeah, I knew you'd tell me to do that :-D Its just such a time-hog, or so it seems... bah, if you guys can understand it, so can I ;-) I'll give it a whirl

A new one
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 10:25:41 AM »

How people could fail to mention operational art of war is beyond me. it is THE best WW2 strat game. Can be found at Matrixgames.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 04:46:07 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 11, 2009, 07:54:54 PM

Civ4 is 5 bucks on Direct2Drive right now.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 02:47:49 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 11, 2009, 08:46:52 PM

Checkers. I've heard it's best turn-based game ever!!!

Although I own the original Combat Mission, I despise it because Big Time deserted their lesser known titles (Flight Commander, Over the Reich, Achtung Spitfire!), and I'm still foundering for a way to run those in the post Windows 98 era.  disgust

I would still play my copies of People's General, Panzer General, Allied General etc. if I could get them to run. Maybe GoG can come to my rescue some day.
I loved the Big Time flight games.  I was always sad they never did the Pacific game they where planning on.

While I've never gotten the Big Time Software games to run, post Windows 98, I have gotten the Windows version of Panzer General and Allied General to run on Windows XP.  Just tried it on Vista though and the installer doesn't seem to happy with me  icon_frown
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: