http://gamingtrend.com
December 23, 2014, 12:20:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommend me a DS game  (Read 1543 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2008, 11:42:43 AM »

Ok I have a DS but it barely gets any play time.  That probably has something to do with the fact that I only own Panzer Tactics, Phantom Hourglass (in Japanese) and Age of Empires (meh).  Panzer Tactics is great but it doesn't do anything better than a lot of similar, superior computer games can do and it takes a lot of thinking time for me.  It's more of a game that I would sit down with at home in the afternoon and play for a long period rather than something I would pick up for ten minutes.

So, I'm looking for a game that I could play on the train.  Something that I can instantaneously pick up and play and don't need to remember what I'm doing or where I have to go (it might be a week between play times).  With a game like Panzer Tactics, once I'm done all my planning I find that I've already reached my stop and I just have to start all over again next time.  So what's good?
Frogstar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 12:56:34 PM »

Planet Puzzle League is very fun.  It's sort of like Tetris Attack.

Or maybe Puzzle Quest?  Puzzle Quest has a story to it, but I never remember what it is and I still enjoy the game.  So, you could probably play that off and on without having to remember much.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 01:18:18 PM »

Mario Kart DS
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 02:08:26 PM »

Geometry Wars Galaxies is very good.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 02:16:19 PM »

Glory Days 2 looks interesting.
Frogstar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 02:38:11 PM »

I saw Glory Days 2 yesterday at EB Games.  I had never heard of it, but I thought it looked neat. Maybe I'll go back and pick it up.  The review makes it sound fun.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 02:43:10 PM »

I often play quick mplay matches of Metroid Prime Hunters with 3 hunter bots for those days I transit to the office. It's real easy to just close the DS and resume play again later.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 02:48:11 PM »

Maybe Front Mission?

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 02:54:01 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on January 02, 2008, 02:48:11 PM

Maybe Front Mission?

I don't really want to have to strategize.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 02:55:38 PM »

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL YOU HOLD DEAR: GET ELITE BEAT AGENTS.

Drawbacks of train play:

1. You need to have headphones (earbuds)
2. You will be smiling and laughing and having far too much fun for a drab commute.  Possibility of being instutionalized.
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 03:43:09 PM »

I'm really enjoying Partners In Time.  It's kind of RPG-Lite, but the gameplay is really fun.  If you've played Superstar Saga on teh GBA, it's similar to that.

If you want a really good RPG, sort of in the mold of Wizardry/Bard's Tale, you just can't beat Etrian Odyssey.

Glory Days 2 is really good, but on the later levels it's really, really hard.  Like, throw your DS hard.  But on the good side, you can fail a mission like 15 times in a ten minute cab ride!  I forget how far I am, I think I have like 2-4 missions left to complete.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 03:46:08 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 04:17:58 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on January 02, 2008, 02:54:01 PM

Maybe Front Mission?

Ah, I see!

In that case, I'd add a +1 to KC's suggestion for Mario Kart DS. Fun game, little thinking. Pick it up anytime, play five minutes (or five hours). Very polished.

Glory Days 2 looks interesting as well, though.

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 04:23:58 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 02, 2008, 02:55:38 PM

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL YOU HOLD DEAR: GET ELITE BEAT AGENTS.

Drawbacks of train play:

1. You need to have headphones (earbuds)
2. You will be smiling and laughing and having far too much fun for a drab commute.  Possibility of being instutionalized.

Also, depending on the smoothness of your ride, it might be difficult to play on a bouncing train.  Otherwise, however, this game was the most fun I had with my DS.  Other than EBA, I would say PQ.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
depward

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 04:28:41 PM »

Partners in Time is RPG-lite... but when I picked it up, I couldn't put it down.

I'm playing Rune Factory lately - a Harvest Moon title.  It's been entertaining thus far.  You also might look into Animal Crossing, which I would VERY MUCH recommend along with Mario Kart or a Castlevania game (I liked Dawn of Sorrow more than Portrait of Ruin).

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 04:31:28 PM »

Brain Age (I and or II).

Plus it comes with sudoku. And you will notice a brain response difference.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 06:09:43 PM »

Quote from: depward on January 02, 2008, 04:28:41 PM

Partners in Time is RPG-lite... but when I picked it up, I couldn't put it down.

I'm playing Rune Factory lately - a Harvest Moon title.  It's been entertaining thus far.  You also might look into Animal Crossing, which I would VERY MUCH recommend along with Mario Kart or a Castlevania game (I liked Dawn of Sorrow more than Portrait of Ruin).

Rune Factory I had a lot of fun with, but there's one part where you get roadblocked on progressing until Winter.  So when you hit that point in early summer... it's kind of silly.  That was kind of the point I stopped playing at.  I might pick it back up later, but probably wont just because of all the other stuff which deserves to be played.

Mario Kart... if you don't have that by now, you need to get it.  Every DS owner should own Mario Kart.

Also, the Castlevania games are amazing and deserve to be played.  Those are also must-haves.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 06:45:45 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on January 02, 2008, 02:54:01 PM

Maybe Front Mission?

it's not on the level of panzer tactics.  it's smaller in scale too, with only a dozen units under your command at most.  in many ways, it's simpler than age of empires was.  (fewer weapon classes, no rock-paper-scissors balancing, no base building or unit creation, straight forward mission goals.)

i've gone through a number of pick up and play games, and geometry wars is the current go to game for that.  simple to play, fun to control and can be played in short doses without losing your place.

past games were:
puzzle quest.  one of the best ds games out there.  if you haven't played this, you should buy a copy as soon as you find one.
picross.  i like this more than sudoku and you get a huge number of puzzles to figure out.  plus, in japan, you have access to a lot more because of the downloadable content they have been slow to release here.

so far, these games have all been those which had a semi permanent home in the ds until i finished them. 

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 07:03:38 PM »

I had Mario Kart DS, and I think it's far better than the Gamecube Mario Kart.  There's a lot to unlock and do.  Plus, you get to play as R.O.B.  I lent it to someone and they lost it.  I'm pissed.
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 09:18:38 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on January 02, 2008, 07:03:38 PM

I lent it to someone and they lost it.  I'm pissed.

Oh wow, ouch.  They are lucky to still be alive.
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 01:43:46 AM »

Better than Elite Beat Agents (which is awesome) is Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!  If you can imagine it, the theme (Japanese male cheerleaders) fits a lot better than the Elite Beat Agents theme.

Some really great Japanese songs in that game

They've come out with a sequel recently (Osu Tatakae Ouendan 2) which I haven't picked up yet, but I most certainly will.

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 02:04:58 AM »

Quote from: slackerjoe on January 03, 2008, 01:43:46 AM

Better than Elite Beat Agents (which is awesome) is Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!  If you can imagine it, the theme (Japanese male cheerleaders) fits a lot better than the Elite Beat Agents theme.

I agree, 100%.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 05:25:02 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on January 02, 2008, 07:03:38 PM

I had Mario Kart DS, and I think it's far better than the Gamecube Mario Kart.

Heck yeah, me too. I'd go so far as to say I think it may just be my favorite edition of the franchise. icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 08:45:55 AM »

I think I found me a winner!! Worms 2!!  Only problem is that I found it on the PSP smile  That's why I love my PSP-just go online and download a demo and see how you like it.

How does the DS version of Worms compare to the PSP version?  Graphics aren't super duper important to me but they're fairly important.  The only "real" person that I might play with is my girlfriend and she doesn't have a PSP-only a DS. Of course there's no guarantee that she would be interested in playing either-she tends to stick with Brain Training.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 03:13:13 PM »

There was a Starfox game out for it some time ago. Is that any good to pick up?
unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 07:35:01 PM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on January 04, 2008, 03:13:13 PM

There was a Starfox game out for it some time ago. Is that any good to pick up?

I was really excited about the game, then after playing it for a while I felt prett "meh" about it.

The dynamic of the story is kind of neat, but I'm not sure it works.  Basically, you play through the main story, and can make decisions, but the first time through all of them will be locked except one.  Then, the more you finish the game, more decisions are unlocked (and those other decisions give you more difficult missions).

I'd try it before buying it.  I played it on and off for about a week, and haven't touched it since.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 07:38:36 PM »

I heard Strawberry Shortcake: the Four Seasons cake was real good.
OK...maybe not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: