http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 08:36:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommend me a couple PS2 games  (Read 2210 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2006, 01:55:20 AM »

So i'm getting Guitar Hero for the wife and probably Lego Star Wars for me to play with my little boy.  But i'm looking for a couple games for myself.  I'm particularly interested in rpg's.

I know theres a ton out there and i have no idea where to even start.  So let me say this.....i want something easy to get into and not too hard to finish.  I'm a casual gamer so i want to be able to advance through the games without having to restart or play through a tough level repeatedly.  I also like alot of flash and style.  I'll admit sub par graphics ruin the experience for me.  So i'd really like some nice visuals.

And Lego Star Wars sounded like the best bet for my son to watch me play and mess around with himself.  But is there anything else pretty cool and simplistic for me to play with my 3 1/5 yr old son?  He's into all the Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network characters.  Anything by any of those decent? 

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 04:31:35 AM »

Well, the PS2 doesn't appear to be the most kiddie friendly, for that stuff we have a GameCube.  However for other games, here are what I bought for my kids for Xmas (and well, me too hehe).  According to people here, and elsewhere, this is a good list.

Guitar Hero
Dynasty Tactics 2
Champions of Norrath
Shadow of the Colossus
Ratchet and Clank
Onimushu Warlords
God of War
Dark Cloud 2
Final Fantasy X
Burnout 3
Dragon Quest VIII
ICO
Jak & Daxter

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 04:35:20 AM »

For RPG's are you thinking you might like action or turn-based games?  If it's turn-based then skip right to Dragon Warrior VIII or Final Fantasy X.  They are both gorgeous and a heck of a lot of fun to play.  For action RPG's any of the console Baldur's Gate games or Champions of Norrath would be fun.  They are top-down hack and slash games.  You could also check out Dark Cloud 2.  It's cell-shaded and really pretty and the gameplay is a lot of fun.  Killer clowns make the best evil enemies!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 04:37:06 AM »

Ratchet & Clank series.  You might want to start with R&C Going Commando to be on the safe side since it's considerably better than the first one, but the original is still worth playing IMO.

God of War.  Meets the flashy and easy to get into critereria.  There are a few really frustrating sections though, but they are toward the end of the game and by that time you might be too into the game to matter. 

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 11:51:01 AM »

Quote from: Xmann on September 28, 2006, 01:55:20 AM

I'm particularly interested in rpg's.

So let me say this.....i want something easy to get into and not too hard to finish.  I'm a casual gamer so i want to be able to advance through the games without having to restart or play through a tough level repeatedly.  I also like alot of flash and style.  I'll admit sub par graphics ruin the experience for me.  So i'd really like some nice visuals.

rpg: radiata stories
non-rpg: okami

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 12:15:03 PM »

The Bard's Tale was a great RPG. Lots of homour thrown into it (An old man giving you advice for example and your character saying something like "Are you still talking old man? What are you going on about now?!") and a decent storyline. You can spawn creatures to help you fight in battle, from elements to actual warriors and archers.
Game is less than $20 new now.

And if you can wait another month or so, the biggest RPG of them all - Final Fantasy XII will be out.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 06:40:36 PM »

well i definitely want action and not turn based.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 07:19:04 PM »

The Ratchet and Clank series is great.  Pretty much non-stop shooting goodness.  The 2nd and 3rd games of the trio are a little better in depth and polish, but all of them are worthy.

I recommend the SSX series too.  Over-the-top snowboarding action with fifty foot jumps, lengthy courses and good music.   I enjoyed SSX Tricky and SSX3 the most, but they are all quality games.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 11:44:42 PM »

I wanted to add i'm an anime fan too. 

so it looks like initially i'll grab guitar hero, lego star wars, and something for me.  so you have ONE game to buy...what do you choose?

Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 01:48:04 AM »

Quote from: Xmann on September 28, 2006, 11:44:42 PM

I wanted to add i'm an anime fan too. 

so it looks like initially i'll grab guitar hero, lego star wars, and something for me.  so you have ONE game to buy...what do you choose?

Dragon Quest VIII.  Best PS2 game I've ever played.  Contender for the best console RPG I've ever played.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 02:03:25 AM »

Okami
MLB 06 The Show
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 02:07:34 AM »

If you're an anime fan and you prefer action RPG's then you should pick up Dark Cloud 2.  I think you'll love it.  Dragon Quest VIII is amazing also but it's definitely a turn-based RPG and might not fit your taste.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 04:22:34 AM »

Looking for family friendly action RPG's and no one here has mentioned the Kingdom Hearts series.  I would definitely say play them in order.  They're pretty fun games to watch as well.  Square and Disney actually makes for a pretty good story.

The Xmen Legends series is pretty good and offers nice coop play.  If you give him Wolverine, the healing factor should keep him alive.

If I had one game to buy, I'd probably go with Shadow of the Colossus.  There are so many memorable moments in that game.  I think it's one people will be talking about for a long time.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 06:48:02 PM »

man there are so many choices and i cant decide!  i'm headed out tomorrow to grab something along with Guitar Hero and i still cant decide!

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 07:19:23 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on September 28, 2006, 11:44:42 PM

Okami

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2006, 07:36:57 PM »

ok, i've read through a bit of the Okami impressions and some reviews......so it's an action/adventure game?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 07:59:27 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on September 29, 2006, 07:36:57 PM

ok, i've read through a bit of the Okami impressions and some reviews......so it's an action/adventure game?

Exactly.  The most obvious comparison are the 3D Zelda games if you've played those. 
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 10:41:58 PM »

Grab one of the existing, cheaper RPG's from the used market, by the time you finish a few, Okami will be on the discount shelves.  Thats what I am doing, and entirely why I skipped Okami for now.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 11:10:34 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 29, 2006, 10:41:58 PM

Grab one of the existing, cheaper RPG's from the used market, by the time you finish a few, Okami will be on the discount shelves.  Thats what I am doing, and entirely why I skipped Okami for now.

um, just get okami, 'kay? (your family will love you for it)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2006, 01:30:13 AM »

okay, i think i've changed my mind from Lego Star Wars to Kingdom Hearts II.  I'm still grabbing Guitar Hero and i'm debating on a few things..........God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Dark Cloud 2, and a couple other odd and ends. 

ALSO, can someone answer a couple other questions...............what is the ethernet exactly for in the Slim?  i guess i could find out by searching google, but i'm lazy.  Do i just plugged my cable connection into it and play online?  how does this work exactly (although i dont see myself doing much if any multiplayer).  And is there a fee to subscribe to play online? 

And my other question.........is there a way (preferably simple) to hook the ps2 slim up to my computer monitor?  I'd like to see how it would look on my nice 19" LCD.  There anything extra i'd have to buy to do that?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2006, 02:29:11 AM »

I know semiconcious feels differently, but I really think KH2 is kind of impentrable if you haven't played the first game (and to a lesser extent the GBA title Chain of Memories).   Even if you just want to skip the series plot stuff and screw around in the Disney worlds, you still have to play through a prologue sequence that can take four hours or more. 

Re: online- yes just plug in your ethernet cable.  Online if free for games that support it.

Re: hooking it up to your monitor.  Unless your monitor supports S-Video or component, there is nothing official.  I do know there is at least one third party VGA adapter out there (from Blaze I believe).  Not really optimal for the PS2 though.  Also, many early PS2 games were field rendered- basicallly they used an interlaced field with only half of the standard vertical resolution.  From what I've heard, such games don't really work with the VGA adapter.  Thankfully, field rendering wasn't used a whole lot after the first year or so of PS2's lifespan.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2006, 02:38:52 AM »

thanks for the KH2 advice.

as for the monitor thing, i'm searching and finding tons of different suggestions.  this wouldn't be the only way i play it, just a way to try it out since i have a decent monitor and a mediocre tv. 

anyone here try it and work good?

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2006, 01:54:33 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on September 30, 2006, 01:30:13 AM

okay, i think i've changed my mind from Lego Star Wars to Kingdom Hearts II. 

Personally, I much prefer the Lego Star Wars games to the KH series.  I like Disney and am a huge Final Fantasy fanboy, but I never could get into the KH series.  I actually bought the first KH on two seperate occasions.  Since everyone raved about it, I thought that maybe it didn't just click with me the first time around.  Ended up hating it both times.  This will sound strange, but KH felt more like a kiddie game to me than Lego SW ever did.  The cheezy, cutsey feel of KH absolutely drove me nuts, but didn't bother me in the Lego SW games.  Maybe my expectations were just out of whack or something...

Quote from: Kobra

You could go this route, but Okami is honestly one of the best games I've played in years.  Not just PS2, I'm talking any system.  It is worth every penny and I would highly, highly recommend it.  FWIW, Gamerankings.com has it at 93% and it's the 10th highest rated PS2 game of all time.  It truly is an incredible game.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2006, 12:07:41 PM »

kingdom hearts !!!...not played part 2 yet...but part 1 was/is great

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2006, 05:32:47 PM »

OMFGHI2FFX!!!!

Also: Rachet and Clank series
Okami
Ico/Shadow of the Collosus
Gran Tourismo 4
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2006, 01:38:25 AM »

I tossed GT4 and KH in on my sons package, picked them both up for $35 total.  Okami will pop up on my sons Xmas list for relatives, and whatever else I can find that is brand new, expensive, and good.  thumbsup

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2006, 02:11:28 AM »

Kobra, your kids are going to be so freaking overloaded come Christmas time that I think their heads will explode when the see all the games!

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2006, 02:25:55 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 03, 2006, 02:11:28 AM

Kobra, your kids are going to be so freaking overloaded come Christmas time that I think their heads will explode when the see all the games!

Yeah, I better stop.. LMAO.  These days, its tough to know what to buy kids..  They are getting a bunch of board/card games as well, and two of those ForceFX lightsabers, among other things.  I always try to get them something not everyone can find, something from overseas or whatever. This year is getting tougher, one year I got them Micro-Tanks from China that shoot laser beams and disable each other, super fun.  thumbsup
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 02:27:36 AM by Kobra » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: