http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 03:48:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommend a modern combat flight sim  (Read 9353 times)
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2010, 12:27:49 AM »

I've been reading a lot about modern Russian and Chinese fighter jets recently, and it's given me a hankering to climb back into the virtual cockpit.  Can someone recommend me the best one out there?    What I'm looking for is a good modern combat flight sim with a variety of flyable aircraft, both US and other.      From what I've seen, Lock On: Modern Air Combat is about the only choice,  but I don't really know. 

The last real survey flight sim I played was US Air Force,  which was published back in '99.     Hopefully,  my piloting has gotten better since then.     
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:59:11 AM »

I never played it, but I think that Lock On is indeed your most obvious choice.

If you're a superduper realism nut, maybe Falcon 4 is a game you could look into. I tried it about 2 years back, and I found it a thrilling experience. Also, a huge mod has finished I think, which implements a lot of extra flyable planes: http://www.freefalcon.com.
Greggy_D
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 01:38:08 PM »

Yes.....Lock On just released a Platinum edition with upgraded everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99_hoJNj3ys

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 03:29:54 PM »

I have to agree...if you're looking to get into a modern survey sim, LockOn Platinum would be the thing to have.

The Eagle Dynamics folks really have some good stuff going on. I've been all over DCS:Black Shark for the past week, diving deep into what it's systems are capable of rather than just learning enough to get from point A to point B and shooting a few things. It's far more in depth than I'd originally thought.

I'm also anxiously awaiting DCS:Warthog. Even though they are both study sims (as well as the other aircraft planned for the series), they are all going to be tied in together. Hell, LockOn and BlackShark are already compatible...very cool imo.  nod
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 04:41:44 PM »

Yeah,  I like everything I've read about Lock on, but it looks like it has Starforce,   and that's a deal breaker for me.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 04:47:50 PM »

i have a copy of falcon 4 allied force if you want to give that a try.

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 05:34:08 PM »

Quote from: Flatlander on July 20, 2010, 04:41:44 PM

Yeah,  I like everything I've read about Lock on, but it looks like it has Starforce,   and that's a deal breaker for me.

RE: The Platinum Version, from the head of E.D.

"Q: With the CD / DVD version, does it have to be activated, and does it have 8 activations?

A: Correct, 8 activations and 10 deactivations. Users only need to use an activation if there is a significant hardware or OS change. If you wish to save an activation, you can first use one of the deactivations. There are NO limits on the number of times you can reinstall the software. Finally, there are no drivers used in the copy protection and if you burn through all of your activations, you can get more with proof of purchase."

Yeah, when Ubi published the original LockOn, it had one of the worst versions of SF. Eagle Dynamics is not so draconian about their DRM...I'm not sure what exactly they're using now (other than a serial # check at the first installation), but it's never given me a single issue.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 05:38:19 PM by Booner » Logged
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 06:53:33 PM »

Quote from: Caine on July 20, 2010, 04:47:50 PM

i have a copy of falcon 4 allied force if you want to give that a try.

I've still got a copy of Falcon 4.0 in my old games footlocker.   Is allied Force an expansion of that game?
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 07:03:21 PM »

Quote from: Booner on July 20, 2010, 05:34:08 PM

Quote from: Flatlander on July 20, 2010, 04:41:44 PM

Yeah,  I like everything I've read about Lock on, but it looks like it has Starforce,   and that's a deal breaker for me.

RE: The Platinum Version, from the head of E.D.

"Q: With the CD / DVD version, does it have to be activated, and does it have 8 activations?

A: Correct, 8 activations and 10 deactivations. Users only need to use an activation if there is a significant hardware or OS change. If you wish to save an activation, you can first use one of the deactivations. There are NO limits on the number of times you can reinstall the software. Finally, there are no drivers used in the copy protection and if you burn through all of your activations, you can get more with proof of purchase."

Yeah, when Ubi published the original LockOn, it had one of the worst versions of SF. Eagle Dynamics is not so draconian about their DRM...I'm not sure what exactly they're using now (other than a serial # check at the first installation), but it's never given me a single issue.

That doesn't sound too bad.     I just read about LOMAC having Starforce, and I'm really gunshy about intrusve, destructive, copy protection.     So I may give the platinum a try.      If I understand correctly,  the Gold edition included the original Lomac plus the Flaming Cliffs expansion,  and Platinum is Lomac plus the Flaming Cliffs 2 expansion which allows you to integrate the DCS Black Shark helicopter sim.

As far as realism goes,   I'm not a rivet counter who absolutely must have 100% realism in every tiny aspect of the aircraft.    Honestly,  that level of detail would be lost on me.    But I don't want an arcade game either.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 07:34:17 PM »

Then Lock On/Flaming Cliffs/Platinum is right up your alley then. smile

It goes just far enough into the systems to keep you busy, without having to deal with the minutia of each one. No complex start-ups, dialing radios, or the ultra fine tweaking of radar modes or the like...but it's not exactly arcade. One of the big pluses is a pretty damn good flight model. I'd go for the Platinum if you decide to jump in...they've upgraded the terrain and sound engine recently. Both were a nice improvement over the prior versions.

I think LO:Plat is available at Best Buy for $20...damn good deal IMHO.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 07:55:02 PM »

Quote from: Booner on July 20, 2010, 07:34:17 PM

nod
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 08:27:36 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on July 20, 2010, 07:55:02 PM

Quote from: Booner on July 20, 2010, 07:34:17 PM

nod

Sweet.  I'll have to pick that up.       
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 11:25:56 PM »

allied force was a much bigger revamp of the original game, but other than the blurbs on the back of the box, i can't tell you much.  picked it up for my stepdad before he passed.

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 03:44:07 PM »

F4: Allied Forces is worth having in any flight sim collection...but be prepared to devote quite a bit of time to study/train before you jump into a campaign. It's not for the weak of heart. smile

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 05:15:51 PM »

If your goal is to fly post Cold War Era (1992+) jets then LOMAC is your best bet. If you'd be content with Cold War era jets, I'd also recommend the Strike Fighters 2 series, which has games covering Vietnam 1964-72, Cold War Europe 1960-78 and Israel 1967-82. A major + for Strike Fighters is that it's completely open ended, so fans have created mods featuring add-on jets and campaigns for just about every historical air battle including some modern era and you can almost always fly both sides.

Falcon 4 is also an excellent game set in post Cold War Korea. However, something to be aware of is that Falcon 4, and it's re-release Falcon 4 Allied Assault, is not a survey sim. It's specifically modeled on the F16. You can get other aircraft, but if you want quality that comes anywhere as near as close as the included F16, you'll have to pay for them.  It's also about the toughest military flight sim out there, and IMO it falls a bit short if you try to play it on relaxed realism. So be prepared to jump off into the deep end if you really want the most out of it.
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 07:51:13 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 21, 2010, 05:15:51 PM

If your goal is to fly post Cold War Era (1992+) jets then LOMAC is your best bet. If you'd be content with Cold War era jets, I'd also recommend the Strike Fighters 2 series, which has games covering Vietnam 1964-72, Cold War Europe 1960-78 and Israel 1967-82. A major + for Strike Fighters is that it's completely open ended, so fans have created mods featuring add-on jets and campaigns for just about every historical air battle including some modern era and you can almost always fly both sides.

Falcon 4 is also an excellent game set in post Cold War Korea. However, something to be aware of is that Falcon 4, and it's re-release Falcon 4 Allied Assault, is not a survey sim. It's specifically modeled on the F16. You can get other aircraft, but if you want quality that comes anywhere as near as close as the included F16, you'll have to pay for them.  It's also about the toughest military flight sim out there, and IMO it falls a bit short if you try to play it on relaxed realism. So be prepared to jump off into the deep end if you really want the most out of it.
    I don't really think I want quite that level of realism.   What I remember most about Falcon 4.0 was looking at the huge, hard-bound manual and thinking I was getting more of a career than a game.   Plus I'd really like to try different aircraft.   It's too bad the Lomac series doesn't include the F/A 18, F-16, Harrier, Tornado, or Typhoon as flyables.

I'll have to look into Strike Fighters 2.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 08:51:15 PM »

Quote from: Flatlander on July 21, 2010, 07:51:13 PM

Quote from: kronovan on July 21, 2010, 05:15:51 PM

Falcon 4 is also an excellent game set in post Cold War Korea. However, something to be aware of is that Falcon 4, and it's re-release Falcon 4 Allied Assault, is not a survey sim. It's specifically modeled on the F16. You can get other aircraft, but if you want quality that comes anywhere as near as close as the included F16, you'll have to pay for them.  It's also about the toughest military flight sim out there, and IMO it falls a bit short if you try to play it on relaxed realism. So be prepared to jump off into the deep end if you really want the most out of it.
   I don't really think I want quite that level of realism.   What I remember most about Falcon 4.0 was looking at the huge, hard-bound manual and thinking I was getting more of a career than a game.   Plus I'd really like to try different aircraft.   It's too bad the Lomac series doesn't include the F/A 18, F-16, Harrier, Tornado, or Typhoon as flyables.

I'll have to look into Strike Fighters 2.

There isn't an official F/A 18 available for the SF2 series yet, but there's a decent fan made 1 available for download at combatace.com.  slywink   If you get SF2 Israel you get the F-16 Netz as well as the F-15 Baz - if you're unfamiliar with those variants, they're the IAF's so suffice to say they're kick ass. While SF2 Europe has the Harrier and F-15 Eagle and every Strike Fighters game features excellent versions of the F-4 Phantom. The Phantom is actually the real selling point of the series and probably the best jet in each game - although the F-15 Eagle in SF2 Europe is a thing of beauty. At current count, there's 1020 fan-made aircraft and variations for the SF1 series and 283 aircraft and variations for the SF2 series - more for the former as it's been around for 5 years longer. I'm not sure about the Tornado and Typhoon, but I'd be very suprised if some fan hasn't already created one.

Something to be aware of is that online multiplay was dropped for the SF2 series, but you need the 2nd series if you're running Vista or Windows7. The 2nd series games are also the only ones optimized for multi-core processors. If you ve to have multiplay and have WinXP running on a gaming rig, you can still buy all 4 games from the original SF1 series at $15-$18 a pop. The majority of games in the earlier series are really the same as SF2, but are just entitled Wings Over -i.e. Wings Over Europe, Wings Over Israel, etc. The older games do however lack some of the aircraft variants and they don't have the graphics/texture improvements.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 09:58:53 PM by kronovan » Logged
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 09:35:50 PM »

Be aware that F4:AF's realism options are highly customisable.  From "easy avionics" through to "no crashes" and "infinite fuel" you can tailor the experience you want depending on your skill and experience.  If you've played the Silent Hunter games you'll know what to expect.

Personally I think that F4:AF is the best flight sim ever made; the only reason I haven't recommended it earlier is that you said you wanted a game with more than one plane.  Also bear in mind that F4:AF features a dynamic campaign which is infinitely better than a mission-based campaign in my opinion.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 11:12:59 PM »

Bring your own!

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 12:23:06 AM »

I'll wade in and say -if only for Isgrimnur's entertainment- slywink  that military flightsims without a dynamic campaign have for the most part become a thing of the past. The Strike Fighters series has had once since Wings Over Vietnam released in 2004, IL2 since the Forgotten Battles edition and DCS Blackshark -haven't played it personally- has one as well. The earlier games Mig Alley and Total Air War also had them. Wings of Prey didn't have one, but it made up for it IMO with very good cutscenes and narration between campaign missions. LOMAC, with it's static campaign, is really the odd game out in that regard, which is or isn't a problem despite how much detail and realism you want from your game.

That said, I'll give credit where credits due to F4:AF as having, what with it's clock ticking away and observable events transpiring even when you're not flying, the most advanced dynamic campaign yet.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 06:38:54 AM »

DCS Black Shark has a dynamic campaign?  Wow, I didn't know that.  I could have sworn I'd read that it didn't.  I'll have to check it out now!

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 01:16:20 PM »

Battle of Britain, Falcon 4, and Enemy Engaged are the only ones that have a 'true' dynamic campaign. Others may have randomly generated missions, but a loss of a unit doesn't stay lost for the duration of the campaign. I'm not 100% sure that the Enemy Engaged series keeps a running tab of what's on the battlefield, but the overall situation is at least based on prior performance and new missions are generated on that.

"Q: Will DCS ever include a dynamic campaign system??
A: The initial DCS campaign system does not self-generate missions. However, it does consist of any number of phases, which can include any number of missions. The player moves forward or back through the phases depending to his mission performance."

It's really a basic branching campaign in Black Shark.

The missions themselves are varied enough to keep it interesting, and the modders have created some good stuff too, but I have to say that the main official campaign "Georgian Oil War" is no holds barred difficult. Do not jump onto that badboy until you are feeling pretty comfortable in operating the Ka-50 or you'll find yourself replaying the very first mission several dozen times before giving up. It's the biggest reason I wasn't spending much time with DCS until recently....even though it's by far the best Helo Sim out there.

The recent user made campaigns are fun and made for great training. Now that I'm finally able to control the beast and operate the systems with some level of proficiency, I'm back into the the Georgian campaign and actually surviving....mostly.  icon_smile

If anyone is interested, I may put together an AAR on my next Black Shark mission with some screenies and perhaps a bit of video.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 05:22:05 PM »

Quote from: Booner on July 22, 2010, 01:16:20 PM

Battle of Britain, Falcon 4, and Enemy Engaged are the only ones that have a 'true' dynamic campaign. Others may have randomly generated missions, but a loss of a unit doesn't stay lost for the duration of the campaign. I'm not 100% sure that the Enemy Engaged series keeps a running tab of what's on the battlefield, but the overall situation is at least based on prior performance and new missions are generated on that.

Those 3 are definitely not the only flightsims that have a dynamic campaign. First off, Mig Alley, by the same developer as Battle of Britain, had a dynamic campaign approaching the fidelity of Falcon 4. In fact the Battle of Britain, which was later, used much of the same game engine and dynamic campaign generator. Total Air War also had one, in fact you could fly the entire game from an AWACS E3 Sentry and run missions form afar and on reflection it was even more advanced than Falcon 4's - in the words of the Gamespot reviewer:
The most notable new feature is Total Air War's comprehensive campaign mode, which lets you take part in ten fully dynamic conflicts in the Red Sea region. In each campaign, the AI will plot out a general strategy while you take part in combat and AWACS missions to further the overall war aims....In addition to the combat missions, you can also take control of an AWACS patrol at almost any time during a campaign (provided that you still have some AWACS aircraft left in your arsenal). From these patrols, you will have a bird's-eye view of the air campaign and will be able to direct allied aircraft to intercept enemy forces or patrol specific areas. Periodically, you will also receive requests to vector inbound friendly aircraft to tankers or alternate airfields. Best of all, you can jump from the AWACS into the cockpit of any F-22 in the theater at any time. So long as your E-3 doesn't get shot down, you can continue to jump from F-22 to F-22 until the end of your patrol. If you'd rather just observe from afar, you can track any object on the map (air and ground targets alike) through the mini-camera view on the AWACS interface.
As I mentioned earlier, the Strike Fighters series since the 2nd game -WoV- has had campaigns that track ground object/vehicles, airbases and SAM site destruction. To be fair the SF engine doesn't keep track of the visual damage, but if you destroy an airbase or SAM site, you're not bothered by it for the remainder of the campaign.

You're correct about DCS: Black Shark.  I'd read that it has a dynamic campaign when I was looking in to getting it, but after seeing these comments in the review at simhq.com it appears its a static campaign system with some variation in generated missions:
DCS Black Shark uses what is described as Staged Campaign System, or SCS. It is somewhere between a dynamic campaign that automatically generates missions, and a linear system that plays the same way every time. An SCS may consist of several stages and each stage may incorporate several (many) missions. Each of the missions is created in the Mission Editor and can have random variables and triggers all to itself. So this is a phased system and will not play out the same time every time, depending of course, on how many missions you assign to a stage and how many stages you have. The line of battle should move back and forth depending on performance.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 05:42:20 PM by kronovan » Logged
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 05:47:10 PM »

I stand corrected!  icon_wink

I'd completely forgotten about Mig Alley...same basic engine as BoB/II, which is likely my favorite campaign engines. I never did pick it up, as I've just never been all that interested in that periods air combat. Not sure why I feel that way, because it was such a important transitional time.

I honestly don't remember TAW having a dynamic campaign, but it has been years since that's been on my HD. I was really getting into prop combat at the time, so the ol F-22 didn't get a real good shake from me. smile

Speaking of Strike Fighters, I've thought about grabbing one of them, but not sure which would be best between WoV and WoI? Past the theater, I know nearly nothing about how those campaigns play out. I've been leaning towards Vietnam so I can fly Scooters or Crusaders off of a carrier deck. smile
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 06:40:46 PM »

Quote from: Booner on July 22, 2010, 05:47:10 PM

Speaking of Strike Fighters, I've thought about grabbing one of them, but not sure which would be best between WoV and WoI? Past the theater, I know nearly nothing about how those campaigns play out. I've been leaning towards Vietnam so I can fly Scooters or Crusaders off of a carrier deck. smile

If you're OK about the lack of multiplay, then you should probably go with one of the SF2 series games, as they support DirectX 10 and multicore processors, so visuals and performance are better. My only hesitation in that recommendation is that there's been a few complaints about the performance of friendly AI after the latest SF2 series patch (released this month), so you might want to hold off on applying it. Of course the SF community over at combatace is so active, someone may have posted a tweak already. I personally really like the state of the 1st series games after the Oct. 2008 patch, and since my gaming rig is long-in-the-tooth I'm still flying the series 1 Wings Over games.

There's only carrier ops in SF2 Vietnam -not sure if a fan has added them for SF2 Israel- so currently that's the only choice for carrier landings. That said, long time fans of the series really seem to like the Israel addition and I understand it has the most campaigns.  Its the only game in the series I don't own yet, but I'm going to be picking up 2 copies of Wings Over Israel at months end for my son and I to fly co-op. I had some stick time with WoI at a friends and I can say that the IAF flavor of the F-4, F-15, F-16 and Mirages (IIIC and V) are very nice. That said, the IAF Kfir is probably one of the, if not the, best jets ever modelled in any of the SF games - just an awesome jet all around. slywink

One thing about the Vietnam carrier landings - despite the game being a flightsim on the liter side, the game doesn't give you many visual queues or guidance for carrier landings - historically correct for aircraft of that era. Which means those landings can be quite challenging in the Crusader or Corsair. The F-4E II  Phantom has the most advanced ground map radar, and since you can use it to line up with the carrier, it's by far the easiest jet to land. Both of the latter 2 jets are nicely modelled, but I'd have to give a nod to the Phantom and F-105 Thud as the 2 best modeled jets in the Vietnam game.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 09:12:48 PM »

How is the documentation for the SF2 series?  Do they have decent manuals?
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 10:24:33 PM »

Another vote for Falcon 4.0. I remember playing the first Falcon sim from Spectrum Holobyte on my Apple MacIntosh 512Kbe computer back in 1986. Also remember Gilman Louie as the designer who eventually went to work for the CIA. Anyway, it has a good learning curve and it can take several hours to get from takeoff, mission start/completion, and safely landing back at Home base. Good times when you have the time. thumbsup

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010, 05:53:41 PM »

The latest version of Free Falcon has just been released.

The Falcon community has taken the original Falcon 4, and basically modded it to hell adding tons of stuff not in the original.  The best part is, it's free and it includes Falcon 4.  You don't need to own any version of it at all.

One Caveat, it doesn't run with the latest NVIDIA cards.  This is a DEEP sim, but the campaign is like nothing else, and flying online in a persistent campaign is among the most immersive "gaming" experiences I've ever had.

http://www.freefalcon.com/

Personally I fly Falcon 4: Allied Force, it's stable and works well.  I bought a copy for 2 bucks on ebay.

"Goonies never say die"
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2010, 06:57:52 PM »

I picked up Lock On Platinum at Best Buy this morning.  First time I've been to Best Buy for anything in about 3 years.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »

I will have to check Lock On Platinum out... I love me some A-10!

I have DCS: Black Shark, and the level of details is INSANE, but it's a really cool, well done game.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2010, 06:54:32 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on July 22, 2010, 09:12:48 PM

How is the documentation for the SF2 series?  Do they have decent manuals?

There's online version of all of the manuals at this link. All of my SF1/Wings Over games were box purchases at LGS's, and they came with good manuals. The online manuals appear to be identical to the ones that were included with my games. I've yet to buy a 3rd Wire game via digital download, but I will by next weekend so I'll be able to give some feedback on the manuals that install with the games.

All of that said, like any military flightsim, there's additional reading that's required outside of the manuals. You can find a s_load of info in the SF1 Knowledgebase and SF2 knowledgebase forums at combatace.com. In particular there's a link in this thread to a Weapon's Delivery Manual written by the famed modder Buynap. He's the same person who creates a new weapons pack for each new SF1 or SF2 release. Just so all those modders can have some extra nice decorations to hang on their shiny new aircraft. smile
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 06:59:29 PM by kronovan » Logged
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2010, 03:02:55 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on July 23, 2010, 06:57:52 PM

I picked up Lock On Platinum at Best Buy this morning.  First time I've been to Best Buy for anything in about 3 years.

So how do you like it?

I've been thinking about grabbing a copy sometime soon, as I only have the original LockOn.

I'd love to give some co-op a whirl if we ever have enough people between DCS and FC2.  The thought of hovering in the trees, taking out a couple SAMs, then calling up someone in a FrogFoot to crush heavy targets sounds good to me.  thumbsup
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2010, 12:39:49 PM »

Figure this is as good a place as any to pass on some info...

DCS: A-10C is now available for pre-purchase from the DCS site. With this you also get beta access and will be able to torrent the current version now. I haven't done so yet, but will likely give it a whirl sometime over the next couple of days. I've downloaded the 600+ page manual and have started to browse through it. Pretty impressive amount of detail, which was expected...but nice to see being realized.

Once I have a chance to get this downloaded and spend a couple hours of time with it, I'll post some impressions, screenies, details, etc.

You can read about the pre-purchase HERE
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2010, 01:42:49 PM »

Man, so tempted to grab A-10.  I don't have a HOTAS anymore though.. and I don't want to spend a ton getting one.

I'd LOVE to do some co-op with GT'ers.

"Goonies never say die"
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2010, 03:33:24 PM »

Impressions would be great.  I skipped DCS Black Shark but I've been really intrigued by DCS A-10 ever since I heard about it.  The A-10 was 90% of my flying in the original Lock-On. 

Man, how am I supposed to play all these great games?  I just downloaded the Mechwarrior4 free release from MekTek and have been really enjoying getting back into that.  Then GOG releases Torment and Icewind Dale?  Rock Band 3 comes out later this month?  And now this?  It's like year-round Christmas lately. 

XBox Live:  JNacht
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2010, 05:00:38 PM »

Booner, whereabouts is that A-10 manual located?

"Goonies never say die"
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2010, 07:37:33 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on October 07, 2010, 05:00:38 PM

Here ya go. It's slow due to the size, but it works.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2010, 07:51:51 PM »

Speaking of the A-10, my son's finally reached the age where he's willing and able to learn a combat flightsim, so I've been flying co-op with him in Wings Over Europe's Warthog. That game's A-10 is very 1st gen/retro, but I still love flying it and using the E/O weaponry. slywink  I'm very interested in eventually buying 2 copies of DCS A-10C for us, provided it has support for LAN multiplay. I'd also love to check out the manual if it's available for download.

[Edit] Ooops... just finished typing while Booner posted the link.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:53:39 PM by kronovan » Logged
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2010, 07:53:55 PM »

Quote from: Booner on October 07, 2010, 07:37:33 PM

Awesome.  Thanks!
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2010, 07:54:16 PM »

Quote from: Booner on October 07, 2010, 07:37:33 PM

Gracias.  I'm trying to do everything in my willpower not to buy this pre-release.  I have WAY too much on the go right now.

Let me be the first to say that manual is insane.  I'm looking at my Falcon 4 binder thinking this just screams a similar format.

Anyone know if there are any printable startup lists for the coldstart?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:58:22 PM by El-Producto » Logged

"Goonies never say die"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: