http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 03:30:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommend a good gaming rig  (Read 1483 times)
dkass
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2006, 05:22:50 PM »

I'm in the market to buy a new rig (between 3000.00 and 4000.00) and would like some recommendations. I am definitely willing to go high end, so I am interested in your opinions.
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 06:01:48 PM »

The primary question is if you have the knowledge to build your own PC or not. If you do, you can (especially on a high end PC) save 10-25% of the costs, easily. Go hunt Newegg.com for assorted parts.

Otherwise, I'd recommend comparing prices and specs over at sites like Falcon Northwest, Alienware, or Dell (Dell owns Alienware now, but they're still seperate as far as sites go at last check).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 06:16:05 PM »

Definitely build your own if you think you're up to it.  It's an incredibly satisfying process, and you really come to know your system, which helps immensely in the years of use afterward.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 07:46:39 PM »

If you decide to go with one of the manufacturers mentioned.  I recommend Falcon-NW.. I have had Alienwares as well as Falcon and Falcon blows them away imo.   I Have had it for 2.5 years now and its the best rig I ever owned.  I did not/still do not have the patience to build my own rig but I agree you can save money by doing so.  Will be buying another Falcon next year.  Look at their website and configure a rig.. You can get a very nice one for what your budgeting over at Falcon.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 10:45:43 PM »

It's been years since I bought a premade system, so I can't recommend anyone.  I can recommend building your own, it's not hard and it pays off in a lot of ways.

For one, I'm a control freak and I like being able to choose from ANY component I want.  Most pre-made places I used to look at gave you a few choices in each component, what if you didn't like any of them?  Too bad, those were your choices.  Maybe that's changed though.
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 10:55:30 PM »

If your looking for that big of a purchase, I'd definately look at places that offer good, quality warrenties and extended support options. A far bit of your money will be going into that, most likely, so make sure that they are known for having quality support for your problems.

Otherwise, if you want an PC that's easier to upgrade, it's best to put together your own PC. It doesn't take too long to understand the basics - what types of memeory work, what CPU sockets a motherboard offers, that sort of thing.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 11:22:00 PM »

i heard cyberpower was a little sketchy, but i ended up ordering through them, and so far I'm delighted with the product.
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 11:31:18 PM »

After literally decades of building my own computers, I am currently more into the 'silent PC' thing.  I've had too many huge noisy beasts.

If you want the "build your own: lite edition", check out Shuttle's XPC cases.  They are small, quiet, and pretty much all you do is drop in the processor, memory, and CD/DVD drive (and video card, since a true gaming rig would never use an on-board video card).  Everything else is already included (unless you use wireless, in which case a really nice kit is available, but some cases even come with the kit).

I built one of these for my brother some time ago, and it's great.  It is just as fast as any other gaming PC, it's very small, and very quiet.  One thing I would recommend if you go this route is to check into how much heat the video card generates (Tom's Hardware has this info every so often), since that will be the #1 heat source inside the box.  The processor actually uses a heat pipe to silently dissipate the heat, but if the air inside the PC is extremely hot, this obviously becomes far less effective.
dkass
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 02:16:01 PM »

I really appreciate the responses. I may try to build it myself, but I am completely clueless. I was able to upgrade my power source and video card in the past, but I'm not sure where to start. Any websites that would point me in the right direction?
Rubyeye
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 05:45:29 PM »

Only certain pieces will fit in certain slots so you can't really put it together wrong.  Just mash the pieces in, install WinXP, got to the manufacturer's website for all of the shit you bought and get the current drivers.  When something doesn't work, just post in here.  I am assuming you are keeping your current rig so that won't be a problem.

omgz
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 01:28:54 AM »

Quote from: "dkass"
I really appreciate the responses. I may try to build it myself, but I am completely clueless. I was able to upgrade my power source and video card in the past, but I'm not sure where to start. Any websites that would point me in the right direction?

Even if you don't like the Shuttle XPC's, check out some different "barebones" systems.  Some of the most annoying thing about building a system is hooking the mobo up to the lights in front of the case, seating the motherboard into the case, and getting some of the stuff plugged in to the case if the powersupply gets in the way  :?  A barebones case would at least save you from that 'joy'.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 03:44:20 AM »

If I had that kinda cash Id buy a motorcycle and get outside for the first time in 11 years haha.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 04:50:06 AM »

We can certainly walk you through getting the best parts (your mantra shall be newegg.com) and getting em assembled if you'd like.  You've got a LOT of home-builders here.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 07:25:49 AM »

Quote from: "soulbringer"
If you decide to go with one of the manufacturers mentioned.  I recommend Falcon-NW.. I have had Alienwares as well as Falcon and Falcon blows them away imo.   I Have had it for 2.5 years now and its the best rig I ever owned.  I did not/still do not have the patience to build my own rig but I agree you can save money by doing so.  Will be buying another Falcon next year.  Look at their website and configure a rig.. You can get a very nice one for what your budgeting over at Falcon.

I`m late to comment :oops: , but I can echo the above comments!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: