http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 07:15:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommend a GBA game for a long plane ride  (Read 2377 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2004, 04:39:33 PM »

Going to Cali...looking for a GBA game that will hold my interest for several hours on the plane. Was thinking maybe an RPG, but honestly anything that will keep me playing will do. I've played very few GBA games, so suggest anything, old or new.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 04:43:15 PM »

Advance Wars

Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 05:26:32 PM »

Golden Sun 1 or 2
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Fire Emblem

Might help if you let us know what you have played.

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 05:36:22 PM »

Golden Sun 1 is one of my favorite RPGs ever.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 06:00:21 PM »

Quote from: "Creepy_Smell"
Golden Sun 1 or 2
Fire Emblem

Might help if you let us know what you have played.

Haha, well I have played Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and about half of Donkey Kong Country - it's my girlfriend's GBA, so she has bought all of the games to suit her tastes. It's really very sweet - she bought the GBA so I would have some games to play when I visited her apartment, since she has never been a gamer. Now we live together so it's not really an issue anymore. I'm hoping to introduce her to the PS2, but she currently has a broken ankle and can't really go down in the basement where it resides, so that will be dealt with later.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 06:01:27 PM »

I've definitely heard of Golden Sun and I'd like to play it, although I think it might be hard to find on short notice. frown

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 06:13:36 PM »

I see Golden Sun 1 still pretty often in stores. Particularly used. I can recommend Mario & Luigi superstar saga as well. Great stuff!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 08:11:47 PM »

I'll second Mario & Luigi, great game.  You can't go wrong with Golden Sun 1 either.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 08:49:05 PM »

Tactics Ogre got me through a solo Chicago -> London and back trip.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 08:55:11 PM »

Would A Link To the Past be a good choice? I've never played any of the Zelda games.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 09:00:15 PM »

Quote from: "Teggy"
Would A Link To the Past be a good choice? I've never played any of the Zelda games.

Outstanding choice.  Plenty long and tons of fun.  If you've never played a Zelda game LTTP is a great place to start.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 09:53:14 PM »

Quote from: "Teggy"

Oh my yes. One of the best games ever made and for my money far superior to the other great games listed so far in this thread (that I've played)!! BUY NOW~! smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 11:18:48 PM »

I stopped by eb on the way home today. They only had $30 copies of zelda, so I picked up used copies of golden sun and advance wars. Should be a fun trip smile Thanks guysj

The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2004, 05:06:26 PM »

Ehm, aren't there those big signs on planes nowadays, that tell you it's illegal to use a gameboy because of system interference?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2004, 05:37:56 PM »

Ehm, aren't there those big signs on planes nowadays, that tell you it's illegal to use a gameboy because of system interference?

I've only ever been told to turn it off during take-off and landing.

The DS may be a different story because of the built-in networking, but cel phones are on the verge of being usable, so who knows?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2004, 08:45:13 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"

I've only ever been told to turn it off during take-off and landing.

The DS may be a different story because of the built-in networking, but cel phones are on the verge of being usable, so who knows?

Yep, my wife uses our GBA religiously on plane trips and it only needs to be turned off during take-offs and landings.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2004, 02:51:44 AM »

Heh, I just got back from a week in Montana where I managed to get all sorts of GBA goodness in (since my wife wouldn't let me lug any of the consoles up with me).

Finished:
Metroid Fusion
Yoshi's Island

Played a ton of:
Mario & Luigi
Saberwulf
Donkey Kong Country 2
Stuntman

Yoshi's Island is probably the best GBA game you can buy, but all I had left was the last level so I only got about 10 minutes of play in on the trip.  YI aside, I'd have to say that Saberwulf stood out as the most enjoyable out of all of those.  Awesome graphics, awesome sound, and a great twist on the traditional platformer that just never got old - I started the game from scratch and I think put a good 5 hours in.  

Stuntman is also very good - probably better than its PS2 sibling as far as fun goes.  

DKC2 has been disappointing so far - I was a huge fan of the first game on the SNES, but never played the sequel so I couldn't wait to tear into the GBA version.  So far it has a very washed out look and so-so gameplay - although the fact that I was playing it along side Saberwulf (also a Rare game) didn't help.

Edit: oh, and GBA/DS/etc. has to be off 10min after takeoff/before landing.  Other than that, there's no limit on their usage.  There was two guys behind me that looked to be in their 40s playing the Metroid DS demo multiplayer the whole trip smile

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2004, 03:59:44 PM »

Yeah, I received all kinds of Gameboy goodness for Christmas:

Metroid Zero Mission
Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls

Plus, a Nintendo DS and Super Mario 64 DS.  As the other thread mentioned, the DS is almost worth it just for the increased visual boost given to existing GBA games.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2004, 02:20:53 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
YI aside, I'd have to say that Saberwulf stood out as the most enjoyable out of all of those.  Awesome graphics, awesome sound, and a great twist on the traditional platformer that just never got old - I started the game from scratch and I think put a good 5 hours in.

I was scouring the GBA section today and picked this up based on your reccomendation.  I had looked at it many times but was not sure what to expect.  The price was right so it is mine.  I do love the old school platformers on the GBA.

If it does not live up to your hype I will shake my angry stick at you!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2004, 06:39:52 PM »

Bring it on!! :-)

Keep in mind that the game is extremely easy for the first 30% or so - you'll find your self only using one or two creature to make it thru most levels.  However, later levels require a lot more thinking and more conservative creature use - one of the thing I really like about the game is the fact that there are just so many different ways you can clear a level.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2004, 08:54:22 PM »

Careful with that angry stick, Stiffler.  CG doesn't need another lawsuit!

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2005, 03:42:22 AM »

Thought I would revive this thread and give Dimmona the big  thumbsup on Saberwulf.  It's a great little game that I have had a ton of fun with thusfar.  At first glance it looks like a simple platformer, but it has some neat puzzle elements.  As Dimmona said, it does start fairly simple and then ramp up nicely in difficulty.  So far I have managed all golds (though it sometimes takes a few tries to learn the best strategy).  My only complaint is that it is sometimes difficult to get at monsters that are on opposite sides of the pack.  You have to have a deft touch and know exactly where they are so you get them out in as little time as possible. This would definately be a worthwile use of the bottom DS screen!

The graphics are pretty good and I enjoy the strange voices the characters have.  I now live to see the big bad wulf scamper off with his tail between his legs!

Good call, Dimmona.  The angry stick remains silent.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2005, 04:16:28 AM »

Heh, funny this thread should pop up again - I loaded Saberwulf into my DS for the first time today... it looks great!

I'm not sure why it got overlooked so much by the mainstream gaming press, but if you can find a copy it's definitly worth checking out!

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: