http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 03:13:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rebelstar Tactical Command Question  (Read 3719 times)
KC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2005, 10:28:02 PM »

No, this isn't a "where are the reviews" post.  I have  a quick question for those who have been following this game more closely than me.  My question is whether the units can take different positions (i.e., stand vs crouch vs prone) like they could in the original X-com game? Being able to do so would add an important tactical element to the game. I would think that this is a no brainer, but I've noticed that you can't take different positions in FFTA or Tactics Ogre or any of the Nippon Ichi PS2 strategy games either.  Also, all of the released screen shots seem to show everyone just standing.

Thanks in advance for the input.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 11:16:18 PM »

(good question!)

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 11:57:53 PM »

Good question.  None of the information I have seen indicates what you are looking for exsists in the game.  Although:

indicates there are at least Overwatch functions so you can react out of turn.

This also seems to indicate the standard firing modes, so it would seem that crouching/lying down is missing, but most other functions seem to be intact.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 12:21:59 AM »

So, this is a tactical combat game that throws out one of the first and most important adages of combat: "keep your head down"?
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 02:56:29 AM »

That down arrow button in the last picture could be crouch.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 04:43:40 PM »

Has anyone found this game in the stores yet? Unless the release date changed, was it out yesterday or today?

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 04:56:53 PM »

Quote from: "fyedaddy"
Has anyone found this game in the stores yet? Unless the release date changed, was it out yesterday or today?

It's out in stores (I have my copy) but it looks like it was a pretty small initial shipment for most stores.  My EB only received one or two copies.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 05:47:06 PM »

My EB only received one copy; it didn't even show up on the ebgames.com website.  I called to check; they had received one copy; I went over and bought that copy.  Thanks a lot, forum.  Now I only have enough store credit left for Dragon Quest VIII, not the slime controller too.  :wink:

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 05:50:58 PM »

Well 'fellas, I think I speak for all of us when I say:

impressions!?!?

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 07:15:36 PM »

Picked up the one copy my EB got this morning.  Anyone even remotely interested better grab it today because I'm betting this one will be a hot one on Ebay in the near future.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 07:40:41 PM »

My copy won't arrive from Amazon till the 13th.   crybaby
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 09:01:59 PM »

I grabbed the only copy at a local gamestore as well.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 10:00:25 PM »

Encountered a funny bug:

*wimpy tutorial spoiler warning, only for the truly spoiler anal*

I had been having trouble with this one tutorial mission: you're supposed to run through the whole level without any training-bots spotting you.  Most of it is straight forward, but I just can't figure out how I'm supposed to blow up this one barrel without anyone noticing.  

On my 3rd or 4th retry, I ended my turn and somehow was in charge of the enemy's turn...a map full of 10-15 bots and I could boss them all around!  Lucky for Mr. Main Character, all the remaining enemies in his way decided it would be a good idea to set their weapons on the ground and run out of his way.  Mission solved!
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 10:54:17 PM »

My EBGames didn't have any copies. The clerk had never heard of the game and kept trying to convice me that I was really talking about Advance Wars DS (moron).  He finally checked his computer and confirmed that the game was out (well, duh) but they didn't have any and he didn't know when they'd get any in.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2005, 12:13:18 PM »

Damn, that training mission Wonderpug mentioned is a bitch.  I've tried it at least 4 times now, with no success.  I almost wish I got that bug so I could get past it!  

I'm having a great time with it so far, although if it gets (well, remains in my case) insanely difficult, that will kill my enjoyment pretty quickly.  Withholding verdict until I can play a bit more.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
KC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2005, 12:35:23 PM »

Gratch,

I played that mission.  I think that the key is that althgough the mission giver tells you the objective is not to be spotted, if you go to the objectives screen, it will tell you that the objective is to not get killed.  Once I realized that, I evaded most of the robots and killed the last two that were in my way.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2005, 02:57:06 PM »

Quote from: "KC"
Gratch,

I played that mission.  I think that the key is that althgough the mission giver tells you the objective is not to be spotted, if you go to the objectives screen, it will tell you that the objective is to not get killed.  Once I realized that, I evaded most of the robots and killed the last two that were in my way.

Yeah, I got spotted once and there were no consequences.  You even have to destroy a wall at one point to get through the map.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2005, 05:55:59 PM »

I got spotted once, and RAN LIKE HELL towards that room.  If you move out of the line-of-sight of those robots, you'll lose 'em.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2005, 07:23:00 PM »

Had about 10 copies at Best Buy so, yeah, IN!

biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2005, 03:30:49 PM »

The lack of actual impressions for this game disturbs me.
For a title that seemed to be anticipated by quite a few people here, the fact that there are only a couple of short, not so glowing reviews so far, means that my copy will stay unopened. I have a feeling I am not alone.
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2005, 03:37:27 PM »

I have seen ZERO marketing for this game and it also seems like most stores got only 1-2 copies (if that!). Contrast this with the marketing BLITZ for Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones.  There were 6-page spreads in every single major comic book over the summer, along with tons of print-ads in other magazines and web-based advertising.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2005, 03:44:05 PM »

Quote from: "stimpy"
The lack of actual impressions for this game disturbs me.
For a title that seemed to be anticipated by quite a few people here, the fact that there are only a couple of short, not so glowing reviews so far, means that my copy will stay unopened. I have a feeling I am not alone.

You might not be alone but I am not with you.  I cracked open my copy as soon as I had it in my hot little hands.

I am on mission 10 or so now and I love it.  The grapics are very good and the gameplay is a lot of fun.  

Combat is exactly what I expected with TB strategy battles in buildings and outside.  You have a varitety of weapons and methods to kill the enemy (as they do you).  I think it moves along fairly quickly for a TB game but I have read other people saying the combat was slow.

The story....well it isn't the strong point really.  It is akin to a B grade horror movie but it is passible and sometimes interesting.  

Sound is good but there isn't a lot to say about it.

Overall I am really enjoying the game and can't wait to get home to put more time into it.

stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2005, 04:19:07 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Overall I am really enjoying the game and can't wait to get home to put more time into it.

IT"S A HANDHELD, DAMN IT. TAKE IT WITH YOU EVERYWHERE YOU GO!!!!!
PLAY IT AT WORK. UNDER THE DESK!!!! PLAY IT AT SCHOOL. LEARNING IS FOR CHUMPS!!!! :lol:
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2005, 07:54:54 PM »

Quote from: "stimpy"
Quote from: "farley2k"

IT"S A HANDHELD, DAMN IT. TAKE IT WITH YOU EVERYWHERE YOU GO!!!!!
PLAY IT AT WORK. UNDER THE DESK!!!! PLAY IT AT SCHOOL. LEARNING IS FOR CHUMPS!!!! :lol:

I just can't bring myself to become the type of geek who brings his handheld to work.  It just seems to cross a line into a realm of geekdom which I can't go to.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2005, 08:28:43 PM »

I've been enjoying it quite a bit, as well.  It's a really solid title.  There are some annoying quirks.  Like, I wish it would always show me, on the enemies turn, where the shot was coming from.  Sometimes it just shows my people or a weird camera angle.  

About the combat pacing, people move somewhat slow and shoot somewhat slow, but it's not like the enemy has a bazillion HP.  So I think the pacing is just fine.  The music is pretty cool, it has a real old-school vibe to it.  

I got this and Advance Wars at the same time and it's hard sharing time between a couple of turn-based strategy games!  When I'm pooped out from the "hyper-ness" of AW, I pop Rebelstar in to just chill out.  

It's a pretty good game.  Worth the $20 so far, imo.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
warning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2005, 10:20:03 PM »

Just got my copy today and I started the campaign.  Jorel?  I feel super!!

I'm looking forward to playing around with this one.  I'll post more when I get further into it but so far so good.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2005, 12:24:04 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Had about 10 copies at Best Buy so, yeah, IN!

Thanks for the heads-up!  I didn't think Best Buy would get any since my local EB didn't even bother.  They had a half dozen copies or so, one of which is now mine!  I kinda like the box art.  It could have been a lot worse.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2005, 08:09:55 AM »

The box-art is kinda cool - I like the raised up title Tongue  I can rub it all over my body and become aroused.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2005, 10:35:20 PM »

Since I effectively killed this thread with my obnoxiously retarded statement above, I am going to RAISE IT FROM THE DEAD.

Because wow, I got pretty damn irritated playing this sucker today.  The more I play it, the more it *doesn't* feel like an SRPG.  It's hard to catagorize it.  It seems like, rather than using strategy, there's a lot of luck and TRIAL AND ERROR.  YES, I SAID IT, TRAIL AND ERROR which should never be uttered in the same sentance as "srpg."

I'm trying, I really am.  I'm trying to enjoy this one, but it's hard.  And it's getting harder and harder as time goes by.

How's everyone else doing?

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Moatman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2005, 10:47:35 PM »

I feel how you do, the battles are all pre-planned, since there is no random generator for the maps or spawns, so you do basically have to play through a few times and fail, but learn where things spawn and when.  I was *so* excited about this game, the inclusion of all of the fun features and weapons, but the fact that it's so artificially difficult for some asinine reason.  

I basically avoid playing it because I'm sick of playing for a bit, failing and having to restart the battle at my last save to try to get a little more progress....that's not a fun way to play a game to me, at least not a srpg.  I'm going to keep trying, but I don't know for how much longer, I'm getting *very* frustrated with it, strategy only comes into play after you've played through and failed a few times to learn where they come from and when the waves come at you.

Advance wars is fun though, it requires actual strategy and planning so far, can be tough but you can think ahead instead of just trying and failing to learn the "tricks" of the level.  I hope to hell that UFO: AFtershock is good, I'm losing hope in an x-com successor frown
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2005, 03:00:51 PM »

I hate it now, and I have a long rant about why over at GWJ here.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2005, 06:02:45 PM »

Enjoyable rant and I share your PAIN.

I was playing yesterday...ended my turn...and of course, the screen just stayed at that position, I hear about 3 shots, then the Game Over screen comes up.  Seriously, wtf.

This isn't a stretegy-game.  It's more trial and error, die in a stage then restart it, trying to memorize where the baddies came from.

Coming off of Fire Emblem and while still playing Advance Wars, I don't have time for this game.  FE and AW give a real sense of strategy, Rebelstar doesn't at all.

I hate it how the screen won't move to show you where the shots were fired from.  I had that same thing happen to me - the enemy's turn ended, I checked my party members and their hit points were down.  I don't know where from.  I mean, put yourself in that situation.  If you were hit with a freakin' laser beam, you'd have a pretty good indication as to where it came from.  This game doesn't allow you that luxury.  Apparently after you've used up all your AP, your party members close their eyes and say "Your turn, aliens!"  Plus, it takes points just to *look* different directions?  Stupid.

I don't remember X-Com being this retarded.  But maybe it was.  It has been awhile.  I guess I've been spoiled by srpg's that make sense.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2005, 08:29:56 PM »

The game just seems rushed to me.  Which, is amazing, because from all I've read GBA games enjoy a short development time becuase of established middle-ware tools.

The graphics can't hold a candle to FFTA, and that came out 2 years ago! Features are definitely not polished.
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2005, 10:37:21 PM »

About a month later, how is this holding up?  I might get a DS finally, and this game (although GBA) is going to be part of my decision making.  Is anyone still playing it?
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2005, 01:43:35 AM »

Talk seemed to have cooled off on this one pretty quickly.  Apparently it just wasn't the unofficial sequel to X-Com everybody hoped for.  The complaints range from too much guess work to questionable design decisions.

I still have mine sitting, unopened, right here on my desk.  I'm staring at the naked aliens on the cover and the shiny silver title.  Dont' know about the contents, but I'm satisfied with the box it comes in.

After seeing people sour on it, my advice would be to try and find it used around the $10 mark.  Having just picked up a DS five days ago I am impressed with it.  I was way down on it at first but have been happy with the machine and what I've seen of the games on the horizon.  Plus there are plenty of strategy titles available for the GBA.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2005, 11:26:08 PM »

glad someone brought this topic back, because i was thinking it was just me - finally got around to spending some time with this (having bought it day one), & was pretty quickly surprised by how unintuitive & just plain crude it felt. very weird (tho it sure does explain the $20 pricetag)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
warning

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2005, 12:35:03 AM »

It felt very unpolished to me.  After playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Tactics Ogre and Fire Emblem this felt very second-rate.  I grew bored with it pretty quickly.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2005, 01:09:23 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
It felt very unpolished to me.  After playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Tactics Ogre and Fire Emblem this felt very second-rate.  I grew bored with it pretty quickly.

Ditto that.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2005, 01:46:52 AM »

I don't know I like it. Think it's fun and unassuming. Just equip your team, deploy them and do the objective. The story arc is just coincidental for me I'm enjoying the tactical aspect of it.

Ascendent
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: