http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 07:34:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: real simple: How do I play Half-life 2 w/o steam???  (Read 4465 times)
Vinda-Lou
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2004, 12:52:27 AM »

I thought I installed it correctly.  I thought I registered with steam correctly.  They confirmed my username and password.  I thought I entered the cd-key correctly and thought they confirmed it.  

But when I go to play the game, it requires that I am online.  The website stinks and is no help.  Please help this simple man to figure out this stupidly complicated process!  Thanks!
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 12:57:16 AM »

open the games list in Steam. right click on Half Life 2, and choose properties. Does it say "Offline: Ready" ?

Are you on dialup?

if so ... just do everything like you normally would. dbl-click the HL2 icon (if you made one) and here's the key..

wait at least 90 seconds to let it detect that you're offline.

Yeah I know it sounds stupid, but that's what the Steam help page says.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 01:25:56 AM »

Check some other threads.  I believe you will find one that details how to play offline.  It is an annoying process.

Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 02:05:38 AM »

Thanks for the help guys.  I have decades of experience installing and playing pc games.  I'm talking back in the days of dos boot disks.  Yet this one threw me for a loop.  I can't imagine the casual player who decides to break into pc gaming starting with this game.  I mean, the advertisement for a video card was bigger than the little help card that came with the game!
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 02:09:10 AM »

Quote from: "Vinda-Lou"
Thanks for the help guys.  I have decades of experience installing and playing pc games.  I'm talking back in the days of dos boot disks.  Yet this one threw me for a loop.  I can't imagine the casual player who decides to break into pc gaming starting with this game.  I mean, the advertisement for a video card was bigger than the little help card that came with the game!

Yup, pretty much what Valve wants when you think about it.  More people connected all the time to Steam.  

Notice the little ad about who is hosting....can't remember the name....but anyway the more people Valve can say are connected all the time the more they can charge for ads.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 02:12:40 AM »

Just another notch in the pc gaming deathwatch.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 02:16:32 AM »

Ok, I checked the properties and it says 100% complete, but it requires an update and is not ready for offline.  At the steam website, it doesn't explain how to make it ready for offline.  I also can't find the option to update!  Should I be embarrassed that I can't figure it out, or furious that I can't figure it out?
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 02:27:33 AM »

Ok, I checked the properties and it says 100% complete, but it requires an update and is not ready for offline.  At the steam website, it doesn't explain how to make it ready for offline.  I also can't find the option to update!  Should I be embarrassed that I can't figure it out, or furious that I can't figure it out?

You can't do anything.  I think this is because the Steam servers are being hammered so it isn't finishing the unlocking so you can play offline.

Hopefully that will change over the next day or two.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 02:32:18 AM »

I just checked my network activity.

I find it a bit insidious how they don't show you how up upstream bandwidth you're using, just the download.  I checked my network status and since I installed steam, there's been a constant upload of data from it.

Just as I'm okay with file sharing and the gathering of anonymous usage info, I'm okay with steam.  However, I'd really like the option to adjust my upstream data rate as my upstream is really limited.  A few kilbytes a second loss can drop my bandwidth to a trickle.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 02:36:59 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
I just checked my network activity.

I find it a bit insidious how they don't show you how up upstream bandwidth you're using, just the download.  I checked my network status and since I installed steam, there's been a constant upload of data from it.

Just as I'm okay with file sharing and the gathering of anonymous usage info, I'm okay with steam.  However, I'd really like the option to adjust my upstream data rate as my upstream is really limited.  A few kilbytes a second loss can drop my bandwidth to a trickle.

No, you don't and don't let them hear that.....

They modeled City 17 after Gabe's idea of a true internet distribution.

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 02:42:20 AM »

LOL.....that gets added to my sig.   biggrin
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 06:44:13 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
I think it's just the opposite.

Steam, for now, has beaten pirates.  That's quite a victory.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Ranulf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 06:47:42 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Meh, seems like a pyrrhic victory to me from all the hassles legit customers seem to be having. It remains to be seen for how long they stay ahead of pirates.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 07:23:04 AM »

Actually guys, just leave steam on after it says that the cd key was accepted.

Make sure that after you click next after inputting the cd key and selecting what you want installed, it shows a progress bar as it unlocks HL2.

Once that's done, you just have to wait while steam goes through and processes the backlog.  A few hours ago steam popped up a message saying my purchase of HL2 was confirmed, and gave me a receipt.  My copy of HL2 is now ready for offline mode.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 01:19:29 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Nope, HL2 (and steam) has been cracked, and is out now, on warez channels.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2004, 01:43:05 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"

Good. Maybe it will nip this POS distribution method in the bud then so other developers do not jump on the band wagon.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2004, 01:47:01 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Actually guys, just leave steam on after it says that the cd key was accepted.

Make sure that after you click next after inputting the cd key and selecting what you want installed, it shows a progress bar as it unlocks HL2.

Once that's done, you just have to wait while steam goes through and processes the backlog.  A few hours ago steam popped up a message saying my purchase of HL2 was confirmed, and gave me a receipt.  My copy of HL2 is now ready for offline mode.

This is exactly what happened with me.  I installed around noon yesterday and by 9pm I got a steam message that my purchase was confirmed.  It gave me an option to print my receipt.  Now I can play offline.  

I also agree that the casual gamer is really going to be confused about this whole steam process.  I work in IT and I was confused!
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2004, 01:52:28 PM »

I think I ran into that on one of my installs.  Make sure you tell steam to remember your password for logging in.  Log in, online, and it creates a profile inside the steam apps folder.  Once that's done, you should be able to exit completely from steam, and go through the routine of starting offline.  For me, I just tell Zone alarm to ask me each time if I want Steam to access the internet or not.  I tell it no, and it goes into offline mode.  I also went into the Steam settings to tell it not to start every time the computer is turned on.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2004, 01:53:11 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"

Good. Maybe it will nip this POS distribution method in the bud then so other developers do not jump on the band wagon.

I gots to agree with Toe here, and I'M SO FREAKING HAPPY THAT I DIDN'T BUY THIS GAME NOW.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2004, 04:31:13 PM »

I like steam.  Saved me a trip to the store and some cash.  It didn't cost me anything or cause me any problems.  I don't have a stupid box I feel like I need to hang onto.  Plus now I can play the original half-life.  My CD had gotten messed up, but I still had the key.  

Honestly, I don't even remember the last time I used a computer that wasn't connected to the internet.  I just don't care if it wants to connect somewhere.  If it automatically patches and handles anti-cheating, then that's even better.

I would buy more games this way.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2004, 04:35:44 PM »

Quote from: "Zekester"
Quote from: "Toe"

I gots to agree with Toe here, and I'M SO FREAKING HAPPY THAT I DIDN'T BUY THIS GAME NOW.

Ditto.

How does this work again?
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2004, 04:42:02 PM »

I really can't understand all the problems people are having with Steam now.  I've had it for a few months now, never had a problem with it, and I truly think it's the future of PC gaming.

Before H2 was released I had the whole game on my system, and at two in the morning while sitting at my desk I was able to start playing it.  That's just badass.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2004, 04:43:52 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
I really can't understand all the problems people are having with Steam now.  I've had it for a few months now, never had a problem with it, and I truly think it's the future of PC gaming.

Before H2 was released I had the whole game on my system, and at two in the morning while sitting at my desk I was able to start playing it.  That's just badass.

s

My sentiments exactly.  Tycho at PA pretty much nails my opinion as well.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2004, 04:49:29 PM »

From PA's article today. smile

Quote from: "Tycho"

Apparently people who bought it at retail had some trouble getting their copies running right, it was fixed shortly thereafter. I'm given to understand that people who ride horses to work or in other ways live their lives discordant with science and reason also suffer because of their strict adherence to anachronism. Get with the fucking program. Stop mixing those specious folk remedies and download your games directly from the Intertron.

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2004, 05:16:25 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"

s
I can buy into digital distribution as a concept.  But whats missing is some kind of standard that all developers/publishers can use. I don't see how this can come from anyone other than *gasp* Microsoft, since they control our desktops. What we DON'T need is every developer running off and developing their own "Steams".

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2004, 07:35:46 PM »

That'd be frickin perfect.  Steam, Scream, Wizz, Flyer, Zap, Smokeit, Crack, Toast, Poptart, Mash, Rapidfire, Crossfire, Speedo, and WithLuv4romRussia all running in the background all the time, all connected to different companies networks, all with built in spyware in order to play your various games which all now require connections to the internet for single player play.

The best part is.  Scream will consider Crossfire to be illegal and not allow allow installation of games for Scream while Crossfire is installed but it does work with Speedo which considers Scream bad juju and won't work with Scream while Smokeit has it in for Steam and says you have to uninstall Steam for Smokeit to run, but Smokeit is partners with Zap and requires a Zap installation but Zap has a bug which causes problems with Toast which is the company that makes a kick ass addon for Steam's Half life 2.  And WithLuv4romRussia loads a virus that just kills all of em and sends your CC information to North Korea and Iran.

See where the world is headed?
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2004, 08:36:50 PM »

Quote from: "Fuzzballx"
See where the world is headed?

A much more realistic scenario is that eventually a single standard platform for digital distribution will eventually be settled upon.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2004, 08:49:17 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
A much more realistic scenario is that eventually a single standard platform for digital distribution will eventually be settled upon.

Yeah, sure.  It could happen...and monkeys might fly out of my butt.  NOT!

Glycerine

ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2004, 09:19:31 PM »

It's possible, and it's likely.  There's simply no money to be made in developing the fifth, sixth, fourtieth content distribution system.  

And, unless I'm really missing something, Steam contains neither ads nor spyware.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2004, 09:23:35 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"
It's possible, and it's likely.  There's simply no money to be made in developing the fifth, sixth, fourtieth content distribution system.  

And, unless I'm really missing something, Steam contains neither ads nor spyware.

Exactly.  I think the real money for Valve could be in Steam licenses, not just HL2 licenses.

s

bobclay54
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2004, 12:37:13 AM »

If I wasn't getting the game free with my video card purchase, I don't think I would buy it, just because of the screwy activation thing.  I want my paid for games to work out of the box.  If that means a few copies may get pirated, so be it.  Don't punish the honest user for the sins of a few.  Anyone else feel this way?
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2004, 09:21:38 PM »

Quote from: "bobclay54"
If I wasn't getting the game free with my video card purchase, I don't think I would buy it, just because of the screwy activation thing.  I want my paid for games to work out of the box.  If that means a few copies may get pirated, so be it.  Don't punish the honest user for the sins of a few.  Anyone else feel this way?

You wouldn't buy it?  Meaning you would NEVER play it?  Because if you play it and you didn't buy it you are a pirate.  All that because of a little bit of a problem that Valve fixed already?  That makes games expensive and screws developers in the ass.  STEAM may be buggy but it is good for the industry and c'mon guys... nothing is perfect.  Anyone complaining is a potential pirate and condones piracy or just really likes to bitch.  If all of you guys complaining about steam think you could do a better job then do it!  All you need is a computer and a compiler (free).  I'm confident that the guys making this stuff have a pretty good idea about what their doing and has everyone's best interest in mind including them trying to earn their well earned cash.  Give 'em a break, buy the game and enjoy!  Its one of the best games ever.

I don't mean to harp on anyone specifically but C'mon.  Half Life 2 is well worth even a day of patience.

Anyone up for a game of Counter Strike: Source?   Look for =OTCH=Jack Burton in steam (when they get the friends stuff working) smile

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2004, 12:15:56 AM »

Anyone complaining is a potential pirate and condones piracy

No faulting intelligent logic like that.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2004, 03:22:30 PM »

OK so i went overboard.  Tongue  I guess I just get tired of people complaining about stuff they think they can do better at but don't.  Especially when it has to do with trying to reduce piracy.  Games would be cheaper without it and we wouldn't have to deal with stuff like steam either.  C'est La Vuis.  Just understand that Valve is trying hard to make the whole thing better.  GIve them your support. They're not trying to screw you over.  Making software is a long, arduous process and is hard to get perfect as I'm sure a lot of you know from experience.

And I'll try harder not to use all inclusive words like "all", "everyone" and "never".  OK? Tongue

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2004, 07:17:45 PM »

Corporations exist for the benefit of themselves, not for the benefit of the consumer.  

When you realize this basic fact, we can continue this discussion.

Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2004, 08:22:19 PM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
Corporations exist for the benefit of themselves, not for the benefit of the consumer.  

When you realize this basic fact, we can continue this discussion.

I'm all for the developers. Are you including them in the "Corporations" list?  No doubtedly Vivendi is in this list but is Valve?  How about Lionhead studios?  or what about the old Bullfrog or old school Origin?  Both of them were put under by EAs dirty hands.  And what about Strategy First?  They help out quite a few independent developers.  

There's no doubt in my mind that companies want to make money.  Thats   why they exist and survive.  Its about how you go about it.  Business ethics.  I think Valve is on the right side of that topic.  Vivendi?  I doubt it but I don't know the whole story.

Piracy hurts the developers as well as the publishers.  If the developers are hurt, then so are the gamers.  If you think the developers (Not ALL developers are the "good guys"... I'm not talking about them) are part of the "Corporations" you're talking about, I disagree.

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2004, 11:44:58 PM »

OK, sorry for my curt reply in the previous post, It was a busy day at work and the 15 min lunch I took didn't leave me much room for reply.

Why do you feel a game developer isn't a corporate entity every bit as much as GM or Microsoft?  Where does this feel-good, "they wouldn't fuck me" attitude come from?  They have money issues, same as anyone in the known capitalistic eceonomy.  IMO, it is exceptionally naive (I barely refrain using the word 'childish') to think because you like a developers games that they are not the same as EVERY corporation attached to the american economy.

It is clear you and I can't argue on this because our starting parts are so far divergent.  You feel that Valve wouldn't intentionally screw you (An attuitude that I hope you'll explain).  I feel (and can give numerous examples of) that no matter how much they may be gamers, or make great games, they will screw you and your mother if it resulted two cents more for them.

scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2004, 11:49:47 PM »

As an individual who worked at a small game company for a short time (Gas Powered Games), I think I can honestly say they were not out to screw anyone. Their #1 priority was making a good game that would be fun to play. That's how they wanted to make their money. I didn't get the feeling that any of them would screw for 2 cents. They just wanted to make games.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2004, 01:54:40 AM »

Scubabbl, Did you ever tell Chris, "make it more interactive"?   :lol:
(But really, that is cool.)

However, who handles the financials there?  I'm assuming GPG had capital investment money to start; whoever had given them that money will only accept "more money" as a corporate logo.  That is the nature of the uber-capitalism we now practice.  There is no such thing as Enough.

Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2004, 02:39:19 AM »

I could do better, MAKE IT AVALIABLE IN A NORMAL FASHION  AND NOT STEAM. Complainers are pirates. Just like every arab is a terrorist  :roll: .
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: