http://gamingtrend.com
September 24, 2014, 02:54:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: real newbie question regarding TV, TDU and X360  (Read 471 times)
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2006, 02:01:27 AM »

I have an Xbox, but Test Drive Unlimited may be the "killer app" that drives me  icon_wink to buy a 360. Here's my question. I have 19" regular old TV, not HD, not any of those fancy letters. My Xbox works fine with it's component input jacks but the picture is only so-so. Will I be unhappy with how TDU looks on it, or will it be ok? I'm not a big eye candy fan, or I guess more correctly I should say that gameplay trumps visual prettiness. I just really like driving games. So what is everyone's opinion?

XBL gamertag: jztemple
disarm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 04:20:56 AM »

the 360 looks great on a standard-definition tv, easily better than any previous console...it looks even better in HD.  regardless of the type of tv you have, the 360 games will look fantastic.  i play mine on a 25" SDTV and don't feel like i'm missing out on anything at all.  does HD look better?  of course it does...but it still looks better than anything else in SD, and the games are just as much fun to play.  don't let your tv keep you from enjoying some really great games.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 01:01:08 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on September 06, 2006, 02:01:27 AM

I just really like driving games. So what is everyone's opinion?

Honestly? Forget TDU and get Project Gotham 3 instead. Or if you like arcade racers, forget TDU and get Burnout and NFS: Most Wanted. Or wait for Forza 2 if you're hardcore.  I don't know...make sure you get feedback from other folks, but I'm not impressed with the gameplay in the TDU demos.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 01:30:32 PM »

My brother's 360 is hooked up to a standard A/V input (obviously an SDTV).  He hasn't gotten around to buying an S-Video cable yet.

With the exception of nigh-illegible text in Dead Rising, the graphics are still phenomenal.  You can't really tell in PGR3 (honestly I was more impressed with Gran Turismo 3 than PGR3) but Chromehounds looks spectacular, as does Dead Rising.  And the sheer amount of stuff that can be happening onscreen in Saint's Row is pretty stunning too, even if the graphics are a step down from other 360 titles.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 02:09:59 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on September 06, 2006, 01:30:32 PM

My brother's 360 is hooked up to a standard A/V input (obviously an SDTV).  He hasn't gotten around to buying an S-Video cable yet.

With the exception of nigh-illegible text in Dead Rising, the graphics are still phenomenal.  You can't really tell in PGR3 (honestly I was more impressed with Gran Turismo 3 than PGR3) but Chromehounds looks spectacular, as does Dead Rising.  And the sheer amount of stuff that can be happening onscreen in Saint's Row is pretty stunning too, even if the graphics are a step down from other 360 titles.

and THATS the difference between HD and SD TV.  PGR3 is head and shoulders above DR, GTR3 and Chromehounds. Chromehounds on HD actually shows many more flaws; SD hides some of it (not to take away from the game, but it isn't the most polished game).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: