http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 05:30:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you read a game's manual?  (Voting closed: April 24, 2006, 05:40:50 PM)
Yes- Before I play the game - 6 (19.4%)
Yes- After I've played the game a bit - 15 (48.4%)
No- I usually figure out the controls msyelf - 10 (32.3%)
Total Voters: 30

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Read the Manual?  (Read 1266 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2006, 05:40:50 PM »

Since the days of NES, I've always considered the manual a part of the whole gaming experience.  As such, I've always loved reading the manuals prior to playing the game as it often gave some bit of story, general gameplay hints and of course the controls.

I've found (anecdotally) that many people don't read the manuals at all.

What say you?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 05:56:36 PM »

Most manuals in todays day and age are utter horse shit.  Therefor I only read it if there are things I can't figure out on my own using in game menus etc.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 06:01:21 PM »

I never read them anymore because usually the tutorials explain most of it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 06:20:52 PM »

The EA manuals keep on getting smaller and smaller and I'm sure down the road all they'll include is an insert  :lol:

I read the manual front to back before I play the game - I just have to do this.  I seriously won't start a game until I figure out the controls from the manual.

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 07:55:03 PM »

I'll skim the manual before playing and then usually take a poop and read the whole thing after my first playing session.  It's a ritual!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 07:58:39 PM »

the pc manual for final fantasy 11 was great it explained macros and everything,the 360 one is half game infomation and half guarentee or warranty infomation!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 09:45:03 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
I never read them anymore because usually the tutorials explain most of it.

While usually the tutorials explain the important stuff, I still always read the manual front to back before I play. Personally, I like knowing how to play before I play. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 09:55:52 PM »

The best manual I've ever seen outside of PC games was the one for Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb. Wonderful attention to detail and lovingly crafted. EA's suck, period.

I'll skim them to make sure the control scheme isn't backasswards (looking at you Metal Gear Subsistence) then go from there.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 10:04:20 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Most manuals in todays day and age are utter horse shit.  Therefor I only read it if there are things I can't figure out on my own using in game menus etc.

I agree  about the horse shit part. I just started playing MGS: Subsitence and, after sitting through the lengthy opening cut scene, picked up the manual so I could figure out how to save my progress. The manual is a thin 8 pages and nowhere does it tell you how to save. Then I come across this disclaimer at the bottom of page 1:

PLEASE NOTE: This is a condensed version of the complete manual and is designed to get you into the action by giving you the basic information you need to survive. To download and view the complete manual in PDF format...

Apparently figuring out how to save the damn game isn't "basic information I need to survive."  :roll:  I expect crud like this from jewel case budget releases of PC games, but for a AAA console title this is ridiculous.

EDIT: Leafed through the manual again, and found that it actually does tell m how to save. I have to tune my radio to a certain frequency. I just assumed save would be a menu option.

Still Konami's taking a few lessons from EA when it comes to manuals.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 10:38:41 PM »

I was expecting a super fantastic manual for MGS3:S as well, and was a little disappointed.  The original Snake Eater manual is really way cool, though.  It was PACKED and had some comics in there and stuff; great reading.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 10:44:39 PM »

I dont read them unless I have to.

If I cant figure something out I'll read it, but I've been playing games for along, long time.

Often times I will read the manuals if I'm bored, or if they look interesting(GTA Manuals)

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 10:56:01 PM »

Most manuals in todays day and age are utter horse shit. Therefor I only read it if there are things I can't figure out on my own using in game menus etc.

Yes, plus I have no memory, so I wouldn't remember any of it anyway!  If I try to figure things out first, when I get stuck, I can understand what I'm reading in the manual then.  IF it's there...

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 11:02:29 PM »

I'll read them after I've played for awhile.  It usually turns out there's some bit of info I've missed.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 11:50:17 PM »

Read the what now?

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 11:57:57 PM »

Quote from: "Darren8r"
I dont read them unless I have to.

If I cant figure something out I'll read it, but I've been playing games for along, long time.

Often times I will read the manuals if I'm bored, or if they look interesting(GTA Manuals)

You have an Avalanche icon and you're in Canada.  For shame, for shame.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 12:48:18 AM »

toss me in with atb - reading the instructions no matter how stupidly small the booklet may be, is part of the new game experience for me.  i actually find it ALMOST as fun as playing the game for the first times
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 01:06:52 AM »

Well I'm a big fan of PC game manuals.  Console manuals I usually only glance at if I need some help.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 01:14:42 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
I was expecting a super fantastic manual for MGS3:S as well, and was a little disappointed.  The original Snake Eater manual is really way cool, though.  It was PACKED and had some comics in there and stuff; great reading.

Supposedly, the Japanese version had an amazing 100+ page manual packed with info and detail, particularly about the online mode.

As to the topic at hand- I'll almost always read the manual at some point- rarely before playing but once I have some experience with the game it is usually good to see if there is anything that the tutiorial didn't cover or wasn't clear about.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 01:48:25 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
You have an Avalanche icon and you're in Canada.  For shame, for shame.

Maybe he is from Québec?

hmm... French Canadian.

Nordiques!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 02:30:33 AM »

i usually at least skim the manual before i start playing...like to know what i'm doing when i start rather than stumbling around for a little while.  how thoroughly i read is totally dependent on the quality of the manual though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2006, 05:37:35 PM »

uhh.. it depends if I have to make a bathroom stop when I get home with a new game... in that case the manual gets read, otherwise only if I can't figure something out.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: