http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 06:39:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RE4 - why have "normal" mode  (Read 1697 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2006, 04:29:46 PM »

But no easy mode?  Everytime I save and it says I am playing on normal I think I would prefer to play on easy, but I can't do that!

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 04:51:29 PM »

die a bunch of times in a row, I think that unlocks easy mode.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 05:37:01 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
die a bunch of times in a row, I think that unlocks easy mode.

I have tried, really!   :oops:

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 07:53:54 PM »

I've noticed that when you get stuck in a particular area over and over again (and die over and over again), it will make it a bit easier without actually notifying you... lowering the # of baddies in a section, for example.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 09:53:44 PM »

I really want to play this game and cannot find it for rent anywhere!!
helot2000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 04:33:16 AM »

You could rent it to figure out if you like it enough to buy it OR just buy it outright because its as good as advertised.  I have a Gamecube for my kids and rarely play console games (being partial to PC gaming).  I read the reviews and bought it on a whim.  HOLY COW!  There is nothing else I've played on the GC that comes close and its ruined me for other games.  Over Christmas I got Call of Duty 2, loaded it up and thought, eh, its ok-its no RE 4.  

I'd rather load up RE 4 and play it again.

Saving the world one post at a time.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 05:30:50 AM »

He he he, RE4 made me hate video games. It is hella hard.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 07:35:40 AM »

I've died quite a few times in the first chapter (just got to chapter 2!) and always pass them the second time...I always thought it was because I had better tactics, but I guess I was wrong!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 09:23:44 PM »

Quote from: "helot2000"
You could rent it to figure out if you like it enough to buy it OR just buy it outright because its as good as advertised.  I have a Gamecube for my kids and rarely play console games (being partial to PC gaming).  I read the reviews and bought it on a whim.  HOLY COW!  There is nothing else I've played on the GC that comes close and its ruined me for other games.  Over Christmas I got Call of Duty 2, loaded it up and thought, eh, its ok-its no RE 4.  

I'd rather load up RE 4 and play it again.

While I understand what you are saying, I think this is a totally fallacious comparison. COD2 and RE4 are so completely different outside of the fact that you shoot things in both that there is simply no point whatsoever in comparing them. Either way, I highly recommend you try COD2 again, it was a masterful game!
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 10:58:50 PM »

I have played thru RE4 on the Cube twice and the PS2 once.  I have played all of the unlockables, which are substantial, and yet I still want to play it again.  I just never tire of it.  I try different tactics, different weapons' upgrades, etc each time.  I highly recommend the PS2 version over the GC version.   Separate Ways, an extra in the PS2 version, took me 7 hours to beat.  Hell, that is as long as some whole games and that is an unlockable in this one.  You definitely get your moneys worth.  As for difficulty, I find the key is strategy.  You have to THINK about the best weapon for the job in each situation, which enemy poses the most threat, and position.  And it is a constant living thing having to consider these options.  As for the looks of the game, I have found none better overall for consoles in this current generation of consoles.  Just my two cents.

CoD2 is friggin awesome as well, but I find it more of a pure shooter with less to no emphasis on story or strategy.  But for shootin adrenaline fun, it is a blast.  Recommend both, but I see much more longevity in RE4.  At least for me anyways.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 12:08:19 AM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
I have played thru RE4 on the Cube twice and the PS2 once.  I have played all of the unlockables, which are substantial, and yet I still want to play it again.  I just never tire of it.  I try different tactics, different weapons' upgrades, etc each time.  I highly recommend the PS2 version over the GC version.   Separate Ways, and extra in the PS2 version, took me 7 hours to beat.  Hell, that is as long as some whole games and that is an unlockable in this one.  You definitely get your moneys worth.  As for difficulty, I find the key is strategy.  You have to THINK about the best weapon for the job in each situation, which enemy poses the most threat, and position.  And it is a constant living thing having to consider these options.  As for the looks of the game, I have found none better overall for consoles in this current generation of consoles.  Just my two cents.

You. Are. Hardcore.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 12:12:21 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Quote from: "mikeg"
I have played thru RE4 on the Cube twice and the PS2 once.  I have played all of the unlockables, which are substantial, and yet I still want to play it again.  I just never tire of it.  I try different tactics, different weapons' upgrades, etc each time.  I highly recommend the PS2 version over the GC version.   Separate Ways, and extra in the PS2 version, took me 7 hours to beat.  Hell, that is as long as some whole games and that is an unlockable in this one.  You definitely get your moneys worth.  As for difficulty, I find the key is strategy.  You have to THINK about the best weapon for the job in each situation, which enemy poses the most threat, and position.  And it is a constant living thing having to consider these options.  As for the looks of the game, I have found none better overall for consoles in this current generation of consoles.  Just my two cents.

You. Are. Hardcore.

+7
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 03:03:40 AM »

I was going to make a new thread talking about RE4, but I'll just write it here.

I've started over for the 3rd time.  The first two was off of copies that I purchased, played about 2-3 hours, then traded in.  This time, I've put 5 hours into this rental (ahhhh smart, Adam, smart!) and I'm enjoying it more than I did before.  I just got done taking down a couple of bosses and damn, those battles were really, really cool.

I think RE4 is a strong, STRONG contender for the best-looking game I've seen this generation.  It's absolutely amazing at times.  Everything from the environment to the characters and how amazingly realistic they look/even act; best-looking game I've played this gen.  

That said!  I definitely still have gripes.  I don't like how you change weapons in the game.  I wish you didn't have to go into the inventory screen and totally take you out of the action.  And although the movement has definitely evolved in the right direction from other RE's, I'm still finding Leon moving a bit too tank-like for my tastes.

But I want to play more of it and I'm sad I have to trade it in this Monday.  Maybe I'll purchase the game in the near future...again.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 08:53:55 PM »

I just wish that the game had had a third person control scheme similar to the FPSs like Halo or COD where the left stick was a WASD setup and the right stick aimed. I know it would have shifted the game from "survival horror" to third person action shooter, but I'm fairly certain I would have enjoyed it more in that style.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 08:57:29 PM »

Kathode found it for rent yesterday and picked it up for me and I gave it about an hour. I am still stuck and getting killed over and over in the first town. i still hate the controls, its still difficult to aim because the little laser pointer doesn't seem to point where you think it is, the enemies still swarm you too quickly, the weapons are too weak, and the controls still suck.

Can anyone tell how frustrated I am that I am stuck 30 minutes into the game?
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2006, 11:16:00 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Kathode found it for rent yesterday and picked it up for me and I gave it about an hour. I am still stuck and getting killed over and over in the first town. i still hate the controls, its still difficult to aim because the little laser pointer doesn't seem to point where you think it is, the enemies still swarm you too quickly, the weapons are too weak, and the controls still suck.

Heh... I felt much the same way the first hour or so I spent with the game, but over time I really grew to love the control scheme.  And it's still much better than it was fighting the controls in the previous RE games I played (1, 2, and 3; never played 0).

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2006, 12:12:29 AM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"

Heh... I felt much the same way the first hour or so I spent with the game, but over time I really grew to love the control scheme.  And it's still much better than it was fighting the controls in the previous RE games I played (1, 2, and 3; never played 0).

Seriously though, wtf am I doing wrong? It cant be that hard straight off can it?
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 12:34:40 AM »

It took me a lot of tries to get beyond the first 30-60 minutes of the game.  Many restarts.  It just takes a while to get a hang of the control system as well as how to outsmart the villagers.  Can't really explain how... it just kinda came to me after a while.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006, 01:03:31 AM »

Seriously though, wtf am I doing wrong? It cant be that hard straight off can it?

I survived by heading to the bell tower.  it is an exclose space where they have to rush you.  I just picked them off there.  It was fustrating but easier when they couldn't get behind or to the sides of me.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2006, 03:27:19 AM »

I got the game from Christmas, and haven't played that far in, but there always seems to be something that will give you an advantage over the enemies.  At the beginning, shooting them in the leg will down them, and then kick them if they go their knees.  Otherwise, shoot them in the leg and then run.  Also, keep an eye out all around (the quick-spin move helps) and try to limit the number of ways they can come at you.  Always watch your back, even if you seem to be in a safe area.  Also, be on the lookout for things in the environment to use.  Sometimes you can shoot out of windows or barricade doors, and climbing a ladder and picking off villagers (or knocking the ladder down) as they climb up it is always fun smile

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2006, 06:03:32 AM »

You're supposed to run into a house with two floors that contains a shotgun.  Grab that and some ammo and you've got more of a fighting chance.

At first you'll just want to run around the village to grab items, don't bother fighting besides kneecapping.  Once you get into the house with the shotgun and go upstairs to get it, stay there and camp at the top of the stairs.

One problem is that they'll use ladders and walkways to climb up through the windows, and there's also a walkway on the side that they'll climb up on then pile through the window.  Just knockdown the ladders as they're put up.

The shotgun is really what will save you in this segment.  One blast from the shotgun will knock over multiple targets if they're close.  Since they'll bunch together while going up the stairs it's easy to knockback many of them at the same time.

So what you do is shoot with the pistol at the top of the steps, if they get too close use the start menu to switch to the shotgun and blast them so that they are knocked back/over, then resume shooting with the pistol.  In fact, this a strategy you should be using through most of the game to concerve ammo.  Shoot with the pistol for vulnerable areas, then switch to the shotgun if they get too close.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2006, 06:24:53 AM »

Once you get better at head-shots, things will be easier. For the moment. Tee hee. RE4's definitely a smart shooter. There's a lot of running around getting the best position, and quickly shifting directions of attack.

But yeah, the controls are only an improved version of a dated, pre-dual stick gameplay mechanic.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2006, 03:08:51 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"

RE4 actually starts out hard and gets easier. smile

Also.. just get it out of your head that this is a shooter like Halo or Doom or something.  Forget about FPSes.  Pretend you've never played one.  Stop trying to play those while playing RE4.

In that first town, the enemies are stronger than you.  You need to use terrain to your advantage.  I actually found it easier the first time to not stay in that house (the house has too many entry points.)  Go in, grab the shotgun, then jump out the window.  Then run to a hut with only one entrance.  Stand in the back and shoot anyone that comes in.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2006, 03:13:08 PM »

Oh.. also.. let someone with a chainsaw cut off your head.  That's just too cool.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2006, 04:06:14 PM »

Quote from: "Bob"
Oh.. also.. let someone with a chainsaw cut off your head.  That's just too cool.

Best. Advice. Ever. (even beyond the context of the RE4 thread slywink )

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2006, 05:20:21 PM »

I loved RE4, it starts out a bit hard but I thought it got easier as you go. I am not that hard core into games and gave up on games like ninja gaiden but I beat RE4 3 times and have to say it is one of my favorite games of the last generation and RE5 is my most anticipater game right now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: