http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 07:03:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: re: Starforce and BCSF.org  (Read 2471 times)
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2004, 02:27:08 PM »

I've been a bad boy. Boycottstarforce.org is my site, and long story short, I haven't updated it. It started before all the hurricanes here in Florida, and for about 2 months I was either gone or running from them.

The thing is, now, I admit I don't have much drive to maintain the site. I don't have the wherewithall to hunt down an updated list of SF-enabled games. Frankly, I'd rather be doing something else.

Rather than just sit on it, though, I thought I'd offer to hand the site over to someone else, who has the desire to maintain it. I know a bunch of people are quite serious about the boycott (I am too, but...) and would like the site to stay updated.

I am willing to do one of two things:

1) receive data from people (such as an updated list of games), and post it to the site, or ...

2) give the login info to a qualified person, and they can take over.

I would need to know you, i'm not going to give the keys out to someone I've not met, who's reputation I don't yet trust.

In the mean time, if anyone would care to send a list of additions, to the games that have SF built in, I will add and post them right away.

My apologies to those interested in this cause, for being slack.   :oops:
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 02:41:02 AM »

I'd love to help, but I'm pretty swamped with my own site and the other one I write for.  Good luck.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 02:57:09 AM »

I think one thing that you could do is set up a news script that would let you post news  updates and also maybe let a few people you trust be able to add updates to the database maybe using a wiki system?
Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 09:18:36 PM »

I would be more than happy to help out however I can.. but I think you would want to find someone other than me to completely take over the site.

I do think I am qualified to be a contributer however, just look at what I stirred up in the GL forums (Makers of Superpower 2, the latest game to use SF).   smile

Welcome to the Bovine.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 03:40:27 AM »

Ok Sam, if you want to contribute, I'll post it.  email me and we can set something up.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 06:42:21 AM »

Ugh, I just found starforce on my computer and used that program to remove it....I think Colin Mcrae Rally 2005 might have installed it frown

zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 05:27:02 PM »

Jeff, a wiki might not be a bad idea. Throw the responsibility for the content itself out to the community...
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004, 06:41:48 PM »

Quote from: "zinckiwi"
Jeff, a wiki might not be a bad idea. Throw the responsibility for the content itself out to the community...

That's an interesting idea, but I have no idea how to implement it. I've visited wikipedia a few times, and I understand anyone can edit it. Wouldn't crazies then be able to put anything in like "THIS SI TEH STUPADIST IDEEA EVAR! GET A LIEF LOSARS!" smile
Just another Swede
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 06:57:29 PM »

I believe there is wiki that only allows members to add/edit contents. I would contribute to a wiki based site, but I don't want the responsibility of posting news on a site, too much stress and pressure.

No wife here, no wife there. Grrrreat, it's gaaaaming time!
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 07:57:17 PM »

A totally open wiki sort of regulates itself. For everyone that defaces a page, another person soon comes by and fixes it, either manually or by restoring a previous version of the page. On the verge of anarchy, but somehow it works.
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2004, 08:29:33 PM »

Like I said, Jeff, have a few people you trust with access to edit the wiki. I'm sure it can be done. Funnily enough, here's a page about Wiki software on the Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki_software
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 03:26:43 AM »

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm off till Thursday, and I'll look at implementing this. This sounds like a pretty good idea.

zinckiwi, would you mind having a look at the link that Ypmur provided, and see if you think you could help me get this implemented?
Dalai
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 07:57:47 PM »

Wikis are great and I've yet to see one that's a complete mess.  I do think you should treat it like a forum though, with at least one moderator who checks on it every so often and has the power to ban users (make people sign up, like a forum) if they're deliberately causing trouble.

One problem I've seen with Wikis is people can tend to treat them like a forum, they will post comments on a page, then someone replies, then someone replies... and suddenly instead of a page of informative information, you have a long sprawling argument which takes a while for people to glean the actual answer from.  Wikis that fall into this trap will need regular "cleaning up" - i.e. someone to delete the discussion and replace it with just the end result.

Jeff: Before you give up on the site, at least update the link to a Starforce Cleaner! smile
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 08:07:01 PM »

I don't know about wiki, but Postnuke works well with 1and1.  It's on the news section of my site.  It manages news, links, downloads.  Users can submit all of those, but they have to be approved (and potentially edited) by an Admin.  You can even use pnPHPBB to add a forum.  It's pretty easy to install and tweak.  Heck, I figured it out (mostly). :wink:

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2004, 08:54:25 PM »

Quote from: "Dalai"

Jeff: Before you give up on the site, at least update the link to a Starforce Cleaner! smile

I won't give up on it. Right now, I'm also open to Hrothgar's postnuke idea, as I have 1and1 as the web host. Hmm.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2004, 06:02:37 AM »

Jeff Jones, I suggest you visit http://www.pcgamesforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=195 and post the question there as well.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: