http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 10:21:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Favorite PS2 platformer?  (Voting closed: June 16, 2006, 05:12:54 PM)
Ratchet & Clank - 1 (5%)
Ratchet & Clank 2 - 7 (35%)
Ratchet & Clank 3 - 3 (15%)
Sly Cooper - 4 (20%)
Sly 2 - 0 (0%)
Sly 3 - 0 (0%)
Jak and Daxter - 3 (15%)
Jak 2 - 1 (5%)
Jak 3 - 1 (5%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rating the PS2 Platformers - which one is your favorite?  (Read 1089 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2006, 04:57:28 PM »

3D platformers are by far my favorite genre.  I have been finally working my way to the newest of the PS2 platformers and I've been kind of disappointed in the way each successive game has played.  I understand the need to broaden gameplay, but I feel like no one has been able to stick too well to core platforming.  I'll post quick comments on the 3 main franchises, game by game.

Ratchet and Clank - loved it. Weapons are important in it, but there is plenty of platforming.  End boss took a while, but it was the end boss, after all. A

Ratchet and Clank 2 - Weapons became a little more importand and a few more boss battles than I would like, but I still loved it. Lots of actual laugh-inducing humor. A-

Ratched and Clank 3 - Just started it and I'm a little worried.  Tons of shooting so far and very little platforming.  I'll hold off judgement for a bit, though. N/A

Jak and Daxter - I enjoyed it, but there were some really frustrating parts, especially the controls and camera. A lot of fun platforming, though. B

Jak 2 - I actually stopped playing it the first time I picked it up because I didn't find the driving around much fun.  Picked it up again later and played through.  Even though it was GTA inspired, each mission tended to be big enough to make it fun.  Not my favorite, but I wound up liking it more than I expected. B

Jak 3 - Haven't played yet

Sly Cooper and the Thievious Raccoonus - Absolutely loved this one, even though it was short and easy.  Great platforming, being able to run through the level jumping, climbing, shimmying, sneaking in a smooth, effortless run. A (would have been A+ if it was a little longer)

Sly 2 - took me a long time to start liking this one, and I never did really love it.  The missions are way too short and there are very few good platforming parts. B-

Sly 3 - Haven't played it.

Others:

Prince of Persia: SOT is not _exactly_ a platformer, but it gets an A.

I have read interesting things about Legend Of Kay - has anyone played it?

I have Haven: Call of the King but haven't played it.

Any others to suggest?

Edit: added a poll for the hell of it.
Edit 2: nuts - I had an "other" in the poll but it didn't show up and it won't let me edit the poll.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 05:36:58 PM »

The Ratchet and Clank games are probably the most enjoyable games I have played on the PS2.  I liked the 2nd one the best so that is what I voted for.

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 05:48:58 PM »

Wow, how timely!  During the b2g1free sale at gametsop, I went all cheap older games.  I've just finished playing the first, R&C:UYA.  Got some bad news for you - the platforming is definetly lessened.  General consensus is that Going Commando was probably the best of the series.

That said, I might have to pick Jak2 for the simple fact that you have a platformer whose story is integral to the game.  The centralized hub was a GREAT concept.  Forced linearity kills immersion, IMO.  However, I've currently set the game aside due to the shitty mission where you have a turret on rails, and are supposed to shoot down robots that move faster than your turret can rotate, and your turret has a limited rotation.  WHo the hell thought that up?!?!  I've got Jak3, but I want to finish J2 first.  Might not happen.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 06:28:31 PM »

R&C 2!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 06:34:06 PM »

R&C 3 was my vote.  Going Commando is a great game, but I found Up Your Arsenal to be a much tighter experience with better pacing.  

I love every game on this list though.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 06:37:14 PM »

It's a tie between Ratchet 2 and 3.  
While 3 didn't have as much variety as 2, it also didn't have some of the tedious bits (Infiltrator and Glider, that means you! smile ).

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 08:12:25 PM »

I voted Jak & Daxter, the original, because it's the only one I've played much of from this list yet.  I hope to play through the whole series eventually though.  smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 10:09:36 PM »

"I have Haven: Call of the King but haven't played it."
I gave up on it after putting a few hours in.  It's got a lot of variety, but none of the things you do are much fun, and the platforming segments are the least fun of all.

I haven't played Jak 3 or Sly 3 yet, but I think my vote would go to R&C 3.  It's great fun to play, and also the funniest of the 3 R&C games.  I also love Sly 2, but some of the early levels are so hopelessly convoluted and confusing to navigate, it's like they were designed by M.C. Escher.  The platforming segments in Jak 2 are probably the best designed pure platforming of all the games, but the atrocious driving segments really sap the fun out of the game.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 10:57:40 PM »

Loved the first Sly Cooper.  I've dabbled with some of the others, but Sly Cooper was the only one that held my attention till the end.

TheMissingLink on PSN
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 12:02:10 AM »

happy to see the votes for r&c2 - still think the first 2 were much better than the third...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 06:02:12 AM »

Quote from: "Farscry"
I voted Jak & Daxter, the original, because it's the only one I've played much of from this list yet.  I hope to play through the whole series eventually though.  smile

thats exactly what i was going to put

finished the first one...havent touched anything else

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 08:06:40 PM »

Just wanted to revive this one because since I posted I have finished R&C 3 and Jak 3 and started Sly 3 (but may give up on it).

R&C 3 probably gets a B+.  The game was fun and humorous, but it was a little too much  "more of the same".  If it didn't come after the other Ratchet games it would rate higher.

Jak 3 I actually really enjoyed.  They cut down on the hoverbike racing and there was some good platforming and fun vehicles.  The thing that really helped was the completion of the storyline.  I seriously doubt ND had the story planned out when they created the original, but they pulled it off nicely in the end.  It's one thing that the Jak series has over Ratchet series, even though I like the R&C gameplay better.  I'll give it an A-, although some of that is because of the cohesiveness of the series.  I actually went back and replayed Jak & Daxter to 100% after finishing this one, which is the first time I have ever replayed a game.

I posted another thread about how I thinking of dropping Sly 3 after the first 2 sections.  That series just really dropped off, as far as my tastes go.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: