http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 06:12:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rate X-Men Legends for single player  (Read 2604 times)
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2004, 05:03:49 PM »

I read the nice review of X-Men Legends and have seen various and sundry stuff about it on TV (like the G4TechTV 30 min fluff piece) so I definitely am intrigued.

Seeing it on sale also intrigues me (39.99 at best buy this week).

But if I got it, it'd be for a Christmas present for my son, and he would play it maybe 70% of the time alone... is it worthwhile to purchase for mostly solo play?

He likes Champions of Norrath well enough (got it in June and he's played it a lot but has not beaten it). He doesn't play a lot alone, but these days his gaming buddies are split between different schools so getting together with them is more of a hassle.

Worth it for 40 bucks for a mostly solo game, with only a dash of multiplayer?

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 05:25:55 PM »

IMO, absolutely. I play alone, and this has been one of my favorite Xbox games yet. I'd rate it higher than the review here, probably more like a 9/10.

The game is especially cool if you're an Xmen fan.

just my .02
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 05:29:06 PM »

Yes.  It is fun and cool for single player.  

I have mostly played in single player and am still finding it very interesting/exciting.  The story is good and the action is quite fun for single player.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 06:02:47 PM »

It is a fun game single-player. You'll notice your partners' lack of intelligence, and you'll be doing most of the fighting, but it's still a fun game in single player.

Add in even a single friend though, and the fun factor jumps by a ton.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 06:26:59 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
It is a fun game single-player. You'll notice your partners' lack of intelligence, and you'll be doing most of the fighting,

I haven't had too much of a problem with friendly AI, but it's very easy to switch between your 4 team members, just by pressing a direction on the d-pad. Once you learn where each guy/gal is on the dpad, you'll be switching to use their powers in no time.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 07:40:58 PM »

How is the multiplayer?  I'm having some friends come in from out of town this weekend, and was thinking of picking it up for the occasion.  Does it get too confusing/easy w/ 4 people, or is it a good time?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 09:18:40 PM »

The A.I. isn't the smartest, but it's tolerable for the most part.  It does a fairly good job of keeping them alive although their combat tactics leave something to be desired.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 10:52:50 PM »

When playing solo, how hard is it to pull of the "combo" moves (whatever they're called) that involve multiple X-men?  I thought I saw a review that said it wasn't easy to do without someone playing with you.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 01:20:19 AM »

"When playing solo, how hard is it to pull of the "combo" moves (whatever they're called) that involve multiple X-men? I thought I saw a review that said it wasn't easy to do without someone playing with you."

I haven't found it to be all that difficult, in fact sometimes it is easier to get the combos in single player.  Basically each of the AI controlled characters can be set to use a specific power anytime you pull the left trigger, so you pull the left trigger, wait if necessary to time the attack and then use your ability.  I've used combo attacks a lot on certain tougher monsters and boss'.

Travis

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 04:56:44 PM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
The A.I. isn't the smartest, but it's tolerable for the most part.  It does a fairly good job of keeping them alive although their combat tactics leave something to be desired.

It is better than most games but you still have to babysit them.
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 04:37:34 PM »

The only thing about this game is that I wish you could go through it solo with one character instead of having 3 AI running around with you.

It would be a game that I would probably take 5-6 of the characters through solo one at a time, but alas.. that is not the case
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 04:40:18 PM »

Quote from: "Jarrodhk"
"When playing solo, how hard is it to pull of the "combo" moves (whatever they're called) that involve multiple X-men? I thought I saw a review that said it wasn't easy to do without someone playing with you."

I haven't found it to be all that difficult, in fact sometimes it is easier to get the combos in single player.  Basically each of the AI controlled characters can be set to use a specific power anytime you pull the left trigger, so you pull the left trigger, wait if necessary to time the attack and then use your ability.  I've used combo attacks a lot on certain tougher monsters and boss'.

Travis

I killed Magneto in about 10 seconds with Cyclops and Storm using combos. I was doing thousands of damage everytime I hit him because of the leadership skills.

Also, I'd have to say that if I'm disappointed about one thing in this game, it's that I can't play through the levels individually with the x-men already leveled up after my first play through. That definitely should have been an option.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 06:44:09 PM »

Target has the game on sale this week for $35.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 08:14:15 PM »

I played it for a couple of hours last night, and I just couldn't get into it.  It could partially be my addiction to Paper Mario 2 making every other game look boring, but the poor interface, map, not-quite-right graphics, etc. just didn't strike me very much on my first play thru.  I could see where the multiplayer portion could be promising though....

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 08:16:38 PM »

But Dimmona.. aren't you supposed to be excited by any game that supports 720p regardless of how good it is?

/me is just poking fun

But no really, I noticed that 720p is highlighted on the back of the box. Even in that high res you don't think the graphics are any good?

I was kind of enjoying the look of the game after the first couple of levels.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2004, 10:30:12 PM »

Normally I sport huge wood for any 720p game... but I have the Gamecube version :-(

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Animus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2004, 10:50:40 PM »

The babysitting really gets on my nerves. It's hard to buy into fighting alongside your favorite heroes when they're dropping like flies the second you stop paying attn. to them. As was said though, add a friend and it's a blast.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2004, 11:16:47 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Normally I sport huge wood for any 720p game... but I have the Gamecube version :-(

Ouch.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2004, 11:41:15 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"

Shoulda read the back of the xbox version, buddy. Tongue

slywink teasin' ya..

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2004, 12:23:20 AM »

Screw it - I'm not that far, so I'm going to return it for the Xbox version.  I thought of it primarily as a game I'd play w/ 3 friends, and hence I got the Cube version since I have 4 wavebirds (and only 1 wireless Xbox controller).

I just can't pass up 720p though... :-(

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2004, 12:29:31 AM »

Man, if you're not even really enjoying the game, as you didn't seem to be, why not just return it period?

I mean.. I know, 720p and all, but it could just be money saved.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2004, 12:50:02 AM »

I never met a 720p game I didn't like.  Disney Skate Adventure included.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2004, 01:08:12 AM »

Disney Skate Adventure?

I'd have to say that's pretty sad man. I mean come on.. it's a resolution. It can't possibly make up for the fact that you're playing a bad tony hawk game with disney characters...

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2004, 08:05:38 PM »

My son loves it, and likes the fact that he only needs to use one button for everything.  It's a great game for young kids, and the fact it looks good on 720p is just a nice bonus.

...and while it is just a resolution, I'm still required to play/rate all 720p games for a project I'm working on smile

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2004, 11:07:45 PM »

Ah, see.. your KID plays it, and you're required to play it for some other reason.

That's different than if you went and picked it up for yourself.

flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2004, 12:32:39 AM »

As an interesting sidenote-

Disney Skate Adventure was designed by none other than Paul Rieche- the man who designed Archon, Star Control and Star Control 2.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: