http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 07:09:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time - Reviews and Impressions  (Read 6140 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2009, 03:02:41 AM »

Thought I would start a review and impressions thread as the first review is out, in anticipation of the 10/27 (one week!) release date.

IGN.com has given the game a 9.0:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/103/1036656p1.html

I am on media blackout for this, and with the first of TWO demos coming out this week for the game, I don't know if I should play or not?!  I don't recall Tools of Destruction being too terribly long, so I don't want to spoil anything early....or do I?

Either way this is a day one purchase for me and I'm looking forward to more R&C goodness!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 03:16:06 AM »

Ehhh I dunno, I played it briefly at E3 and wasn't grabbed. We'll see I guess.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 03:17:46 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 21, 2009, 03:16:06 AM

Did you like any previous game in the series?  From what I understand, they are pretty much all the same.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 03:34:56 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 21, 2009, 03:17:46 AM

Quote from: Ridah on October 21, 2009, 03:16:06 AM

Did you like any previous game in the series?  From what I understand, they are pretty much all the same.

I was about to ask the same thing.

Ridah, did you like Tools of Destruction?  If you did but don't like Crack in Time, then that's a cause for concern.  But if you didn't like the first game, then I think it's irrelevant if this new one doesn't grab you either.  The R&C series are pretty consistent as far as being the same types of games.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 03:43:42 AM »

So, here's what I want to know - do you need to know the 'story' from the expansion pack (the DLC content) in order to grab this sequel? Or was it not important in the scheme of things?

The reason I'm asking is that this is a true sequel in the terms - the story is advancing and such from the last game directly, instead of just being sorta connected as in games past.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 03:55:09 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 21, 2009, 03:43:42 AM

So, here's what I want to know - do you need to know the 'story' from the expansion pack (the DLC content) in order to grab this sequel? Or was it not important in the scheme of things?

The reason I'm asking is that this is a true sequel in the terms - the story is advancing and such from the last game directly, instead of just being sorta connected as in games past.
the reviews said no
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 04:28:35 AM »

The reviews said it wasn't a true sequel? Quest for Booty left off on a major cliffhanger and the story was directly related to Tools of Destruction.

Definitely psyched for this. Not expecting anything groundbreaking, just more R&C fun.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 04:29:59 AM »

Releasing a Clank-only demo this week, which is sort of a weird decision, IMHO.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 04:31:46 AM »

I liked Tools of Destruction, not the best game I ever played but I'd probably hand it a 8/10. I suppose I just felt like A Crack in Time was more of the same which isn't what I'm interested in.

Sean Lama
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 04:37:21 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 21, 2009, 04:28:35 AM

The reviews said it wasn't a true sequel? Quest for Booty left off on a major cliffhanger and the story was directly related to Tools of Destruction.

Definitely psyched for this. Not expecting anything groundbreaking, just more R&C fun.

The IGN review says: Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time begins where Quest for Booty left off.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 05:10:04 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 21, 2009, 03:43:42 AM

There is a recap movie that plays during the install.  Also, Quest for Booty really doesn't advance the story.  It's a fun little side adventure (and has some nice variety compared to the main series) but it's relevance can probably be summed up in about a sentence. 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 08:46:10 AM »

What Kevin said.  Quest for Booty isn't really that important as far as the story goes.  Don't feel like you need to have played it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 12:17:42 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 21, 2009, 04:29:59 AM

Releasing a Clank-only demo this week, which is sort of a weird decision, IMHO.

From what I understand, the Clank levels are greatly improved.  I guess they were a weak spot for some people in past games, so maybe they're showing off what they've improved.

It does seem weird not to highlight the core gameplay, but maybe they assume that most people know what to expect in a R&C game by now.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 01:49:53 PM »

Now that I think about it, if you didn't play UYA, the end of QFB would fly right over your head.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 02:59:13 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 21, 2009, 01:49:53 PM

Now that I think about it, if you didn't play UYA, the end of QFB would fly right over your head.

I was one who hadn't played UYA, so I when I finished QFB, I didn't know who the villian was.  I had to google him to find out.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 04:31:28 PM »

i'd have to google him anyways as i've gotten kind of fuzzy on how uya ended and i'm not sure if the one in mind is from that or tod. 

either way, r&c has always been an awesome series, even though i consider #2 the high point, gameplay wise. 

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 06:44:47 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 21, 2009, 04:31:28 PM

either way, r&c has always been an awesome series, even though i consider #2 the high point, gameplay wise.

ratchet & clank was one of my first console experiences - i got my ps2 around the time r&c2 came out, & i bought it & the first one. i feel genuinely sorry for anyone who's either passed on the series, or (like that ign reviewer) has only 'dabbled' in it (?!). there's no other series of games that maintains the same high-level goof-ball sense of humor, or that defines the concept of 'mayhem' the way these games do - playing r&c is like watching the marx brothers, only with guns (aka, the universe's most outrageous arsenal) & platforming. if you've missed the adventures of giant clank, the captain qwark side-scrollers, the joy of wreaking havok with a ryno (or using the groovitron smile ), the very cool take-offs on everything from the north by northwest cornfield sequence to the eastern promises bathhouse sequence, & all the other inspired madness that goes with the series, well, what the hell have you been doing instead? smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 12:18:33 AM »

Eurogamer gives it a 7/10 : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ratchet-and-clank-a-crack-in-time-review?page=3

"But I've been playing R&C games for years now, and I was hoping for something extra. That doesn't mean radical change - goodness knows no one wants Ratchet to "go dark" or start running round sandbox environments. I still want a meat feast pizza, I just want it to have a stuffed crust. And maybe some dips. Or in other words, a proper selection of exciting new weapons, original puzzles and a bit of innovation. It's not that A Crack in Time is all fur coat and no knickers. The problem is, it's all fur coat and the same knickers it's been wearing for seven years. Time for a change."

Pretty much what I expected after playing it at E3, it's more of the same but what I want is something new. I'll be passing on this.

Sean Lama
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 01:13:22 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 22, 2009, 12:18:33 AM

Pretty much what I expected after playing it at E3, it's more of the same but what I want is something new. I'll be passing on this.

which is fine. me, i'll continue to groove on the same ol' same ol', thank you smile ... &, if someone can explain to me how it is that certain franchises can be criticized by reviewers for 'sticking with the formula', while others can repeat the same basic formula & pretty much never be dinged for it, i'd appreciate it. because it seems completely random to me (tho somewhat tilted in favor of the bigger name series?)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 01:48:37 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on October 22, 2009, 01:13:22 AM

which is fine. me, i'll continue to groove on the same ol' same ol', thank you smile ... &, if someone can explain to me how it is that certain franchises can be criticized by reviewers for 'sticking with the formula', while others can repeat the same basic formula & pretty much never be dinged for it, i'd appreciate it. because it seems completely random to me (tho somewhat tilted in favor of the bigger name series?)...

At times I've actually thought that R&C has changed more than I liked, as it got more shooty and less platformy. Quest for Booty had a lot of platforming, which I welcomed. So many games evolve into something else over time (I'm looking at you, Sly Cooper) that it's nice to have a franchise or two that you can count on for a certain kind of fun.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 03:04:28 AM by Teggy » Logged

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 02:41:39 AM »

I enjoyed Tools of Destruction when I played it. It was fun but once I finished it I think I had my fill of the gameplay.  That's why I didn't by the PSN expansion.  And if Crack in Time is pretty much the same I'll pass as well.  Too many big games coming out this fall to play something I feel like I have played enough of before.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 03:27:24 AM »

Didn't you hear me bitching and moaning about ODST? slywink I always clown on sequels that don't evolve in some way, if this was releasing at $40 I'd consider it.

Sean Lama
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 03:40:19 AM »

Tools of Destruction one of the best PS3 game that I played. (other game being Uncharted)
ToD and Uncharted made me proud that I own PS3.  icon_biggrin

I can't wait to play A Crack in Time....I just have to wait till someone to trade it for cheap...which means sometime next year... crybaby
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 04:21:41 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 22, 2009, 03:27:24 AM

Didn't you hear me bitching and moaning about ODST? slywink I always clown on sequels that don't evolve in some way, if this was releasing at $40 I'd consider it.

dude! - my comment was in no way directed at you smile . we're each individually allowed to get bored with whatever we get bored with. it was directed at 'reviewers' like the eurogamer, & to an extent, the ign guy, who seem to take into consideration certain factors when evaluating some games that they don't when evaluating others. iow, 'i'm personally not bored with so'n'so's umpteenth iteration' = thumbsup / 'i'm personally tired of it now' = thumbsdown , imo, isn't 'reviewing', based on objective, across-the-board criteria, like production values & quality of gameplay, so much as just inserting your personal preferences...

that said, don't worry: i'll be having enough fun with r&c: cit for both of us smile ...

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 11:35:15 AM »

And you certainly won't be alone on that one, semiconscious. I'm getting in on this with a vengeance as well.

Of course, it probably helps that my first R&C game was Tools of Destruction, so I haven't gotten "bored" of the gameplay yet. Lucky me!

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 12:30:41 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 22, 2009, 03:27:24 AM

For me the difference with games like Halo and Madden is the multiplayer portions.  If the Halo series were just single player games like Ratchet and Clank I would say they really haven't innovated at all.  But each version of Halo has certainly innovated in the multiplayer portion, which is why the games are so popular with game buyers IMHO.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 01:50:16 PM »

I look at these like the Mario platformers.  As long as they add just a tiny bit of improvement (and honestly, even if they don't), I am satisfied.  I just love platformers and Ratchet and Clank have always been very colorful and amusing for me.  I will definitely be buying.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 02:02:51 PM »

I have a strong suspicion that this will be the last R&C game (at least from Insomniac).  I think they are going to use CiT to close out the story from ToD and QfB. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 02:13:15 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 22, 2009, 02:02:51 PM

I have a strong suspicion that this will be the last R&C game (at least from Insomniac).  I think they are going to use CiT to close out the story from ToD and QfB.  

That wouldn't surprise me. I hope they don't give up on platforming, though. I can't believe they would move on to just doing shooters. A new franchise with different mechanics would be great.

Some developer needs to step up and do a great pure platformer. Where's the next Naughty Dog/Insomniac/Sucker Punch?

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »

Quote from: Fellow on October 22, 2009, 11:35:15 AM

And you certainly won't be alone on that one, semiconscious. I'm getting in on this with a vengeance as well.

Of course, it probably helps that my first R&C game was Tools of Destruction, so I haven't gotten "bored" of the gameplay yet. Lucky me!

I am in the exact same boat!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 02:58:58 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 22, 2009, 02:02:51 PM

I have a strong suspicion that this will be the last R&C game (at least from Insomniac).  I think they are going to use CiT to close out the story from ToD and QfB. 

They better polish up their FPS skills if they want to focus on that market!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 03:02:57 PM »

I think they would do fine with FPS games if they stick to their strengths (which they did in Resistance 1 IMO).  Though I haven't played it yet, it seems like most of the complaints about R2 came about because Insomniac tried to "me too" what others are doing but didn't have the core competencies to do it.  Or maybe they just bit off more than they could chew given the resources they have.   
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 03:05:29 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 22, 2009, 03:02:57 PM

I think they would do fine with FPS games if they stick to their strengths (which they did in Resistance 1 IMO).  Though I haven't played it yet, it seems like most of the complaints about R2 came about because Insomniac tried to "me too" what others are doing but didn't have the core competencies to do it.  Or maybe they just bit off more than they could chew given the resources they have.   

Yeah I'm hoping that they go back to the R1 formula for Resistance 3, I tried to find a developer post mortem about R2 the other day and I could not find one.  I was curious to see their take on the stuff I found to be horrible.  After all the good reviews R2 got, I am hoping they heard at least some of the criticism.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 03:13:19 PM »

Yeah, I have no doubt they are aware of the problems.  Even if they stick to what they attempted with Resistance 2, R3 will have the benefit of another two years of dev experience so I still expect it to be much better. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 03:30:12 PM »

From what I have played of R2 it seems like they devoted most of their energy to the multiplayer.  And it shows.   Both the co op and adversarial multiplayer are outstanding.  But people just do not play multiplayer games on the PS3.  If the game were on the 360 I think it would have been a huge hit.   Which is kind of funny beacuse I always felt if Resistance 1 were on the 360 nobody would have played it. 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2009, 04:52:13 PM »

Kotaku has a review up and the first paragraph is:

The problem with the Ratchet & Clank games being consistently good annual release after annual release is that it's hard for them to seem spectacular. For the first time in a while, a new one does.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2009, 05:53:11 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 22, 2009, 02:13:15 PM

Some developer needs to step up and do a great pure platformer. Where's the next Naughty Dog/Insomniac/Sucker Punch?

Just give me another Sly game from SP and I'll be happy. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2009, 06:19:42 PM »

Unfortunately I think the mascot platformer is dead (with the exception of Mario of course).  It was a minor miracle that Sony was able to sustain three of them last generation when so many others failed (and enormous credit to them for doing that).

However if anyone could successfully create a new mascot platformer it would probably be Insomniac.  I think they did an excellent job of adapting to the different platform audiences with Spyro in the PS1 days and R&C last generation. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2009, 06:22:37 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 22, 2009, 06:19:42 PM

Unfortunately I think the mascot platformer is dead (with the exception of Mario of course). 

Not a sack boy fan?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2009, 06:35:30 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 22, 2009, 06:22:37 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 22, 2009, 06:19:42 PM

Unfortunately I think the mascot platformer is dead (with the exception of Mario of course).

Not a sack boy fan?

Haven't played much of it so not much opinion on LBP.  But it's a good point- LBP did decent in sales but didn't catch fire as Sony had hoped. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: