http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 12:22:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ratchet and Clank: Where to start?  (Read 1174 times)
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2004, 01:16:48 AM »

Hi, all.

I played the demo level of R&C1 that came out a while ago and got hooked.  Later, I lucked into getting the full game as a gift, and unfortunately since it was among many other gifts (good friends) I never got around to playing it.  Then the second one came out and everyone said it's so great.  I just picked it up today on the cheap and am left wondering which one I should start with.  It feels wrong to start with a sequel, but if it's so much better than is it worth going through the first for any reason?

My current thinking is that I'll play through the second one and if I like it I'll treat the first as a prequel.  Unless, that is, one of you fine folks talks me out of my plan.  

Here's your chance.

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 01:48:05 AM »

The second game is much like the first, but with a LOT of stuff added, such as some extensive mini-games, weapon and hit point levelling-up, and more variety.  The first is a great game, though, and I found it to be funnier than the sequel.  I'd recommend playing the first game first, since there are references to some of the characters (notably Captain Qwark) in the sequel that you won't get if you haven't played the first game.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 01:51:36 AM »

I also believe that if you play through the first game, you can unlock certain weapons in the second game right away.  I'm not 100% positive, but there is a reason to get through the R&C game first before Going Commando.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 06:46:03 AM »

I went back to the first game after beating Going Commando and the only minuses that I noticed was the controls didn't feel quite as tight and Ratchet can't strafe, which I used extensively in the sequel.  Of course the second added more to everything, but if you play the original first, you won't notice.  If you get the chance, play both, but if your only going to play one, I'd play the sequel.  GC gets about as perfect as an action platformer can be, IMHO.

I also believe that if you play through the first game, you can unlock certain weapons in the second game right away. I'm not 100% positive, but there is a reason to get through the R&C game first before Going Commando.

There is a vendor on one of the worlds in R&C:GC that will sell you some of the weapons you used in the first game.  If you've played the first game and acquired them the weapons will be free, otherwise you'll have to pay for them.  Honestly, I didn't find them to be very useful at their base power (it's better when they get mega ammo), but it's still a cool addition. [/quote]

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 06:56:54 PM »

Personally, I'd start with the original and work your way forward. They're all fantastic titles, well worth your time in playing.

In addition, I didn't use the Strafe function all that much in the sequel. In spots against some bosses, most definitely. Otherwise, no.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 10:06:54 PM »

I'm going to play the first first.  I am never really satisfied when I play the sequel first when they make a lot of improvements.  It's easier to learn new moves than to learn to live without them.

The good news is that the third should be a "Greatest Hits" title by the time I finish them!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: