http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 02:01:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ratchet and Clank UYA  (Read 5626 times)
HankRaptor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 04, 2004, 04:37:48 PM »

Where is all the love? Am I alone here in picking up R and Up your Arsenel?

Granted the game is more of the same, but whats here is brillant, love this series.. played for several hours last night and fell in love with the series all over again.

Have not played online, but hope to tonight.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 04:43:42 PM »

The EB I preordered it didn't receive their shipment yesterday.  From comments on other forums this was a pretty widespread problem.  I'll be picking it up tonight but I may hold off.  Halo 2 is way too close- I know there is no way I'll be able to finish UYA.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 05:32:34 PM »

Should have it today...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 05:51:00 PM »

I have R&C 1 on the way, and I want to play it and Going Commando first, before playing UYA.

Right now I'm playing Sly Cooper & the TR, which is a lot of fun too.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 06:44:23 PM »

Cant get it until I finish GC and get my PS2 back..damn new PS2's...someone get them in stock!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 07:26:51 PM »

Not to troll, but I'm totally disinterested in this title.  After playing Going Commando for hours and hours, I just can't see doing the exact same thing again with a couple new weapons.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 08:33:21 PM »

Not to troll, but I'm totally disinterested in this title. After playing Going Commando for hours and hours, I just can't see doing the exact same thing again with a couple new weapons.

You stick to the revolutionary upgrades of GTA:SA and we'll be just fine doing the same old thing in R&C.

Mudfrost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 10:34:38 PM »

I'd hoped to pick it up yesterday but EB didn't receive it until today. I bought it immediately, and after about an hour or so of play, I'm hooked again.

Sure, it's more of the same but that's all I need. The last incarnation (Commando) is one of the tightest games I've played over the last twenty years -- PC included. The production and gameplay is flat out over the top.

Some here might remember my R&C ravings not so long ago in the GG threads. I played through R&C: Going Commando three times and I can't remember another game that hooked me like that -- at least not a platformer (strategy/wargames are my preference).

I haven't tried multiplayer with "Arsenal," but I can't wait to see what they've done. I would have bought it for single player alone, but Insomniac gave us more. IMO, Ratchet & Clank is one of the best series ever produced.
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 01:07:00 AM »

So far the other two games are like the two best platform/shooters ever. I'll pick this one up when I trade in GTA:SA.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2004, 01:09:08 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
You stick to the revolutionary upgrades of GTA:SA and we'll be just fine doing the same old thing in R&C.
Oooo.  Burn.

Seriously, with reviews saying there are "10 hours" of Single-Player and "It could be considered an expansion back to R&C2 if it wasn't for multiplayer," along with my burnout on the run-forward-hold-fire gameplay of the series, I just can't justify this as a $40 purchase.

If I thought the idea of R&C multiplay was appealing, I'd consider this more seriously.  Unfortunately, I don't.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2004, 01:17:14 AM »

I don't know what the deal was with that Gamespot review.

Every single review (except Gamespot) says it has upwards of 25 hours of gameplay...

This game has gotten 10/10 and 5/5 across the board in all the print mags, as well as a 9.6 I believe from IGN (then again, IGN is insane).

It really just seemed to me that the guy who reviewed the game for Gamespot is just sick of platformers.

I mean, look at this:

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp?rankings=y

4th best game of all time after 10 reviews according to GameRankings. That's nothing to sneeze at.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2004, 02:16:39 AM »

I thought the Gamespot review said "more than 10 hours of gameplay"?  Every other review I've read indicates that its just as lengthy as the previous two (which were already long for platformers).  They also all say that amazingly the single player experience is better than the previous games too.  I fail to see how a superior single player experience with all new weapons, worlds, and enemies along with a robust multiplayer mode could be considered an expansion pack.  What more do you want in a sequel?  A new engine?  The Jak engine is already one of the most advanced on the PS2 and Insomnia didn't even develop it in the first place.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2004, 02:17:35 AM »

Its also worth noting the Gamespot was one of the very few to rate Going Commando below the first game.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2004, 03:39:00 AM »

The "LE Agenda" strikes again!!!  

Played some tonight, only up to the space station part - I didn't have my R&C 1 save on that mem card so I stopped playing until I could find it - Then played some online.

Same great gameplay this early on. Multiplayer was just a lot of hectic running around and shooting though, so I'm not sire how much I'll like that.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2004, 05:00:36 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
I thought the Gamespot review said "more than 10 hours of gameplay"?  Every other review I've read indicates that its just as lengthy as the previous two (which were already long for platformers).

From the Gamespot review:

"All in all, Ratchet & Clank's single-player mode will keep you busy for well over 10 hours, especially if you devote yourself to completing all the optional challenges."

It's an odd number to throw out there, if the game is in fact 20+ hours. Perhaps he didn't finish it?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2004, 05:19:21 AM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"

It's an odd number to throw out there, if the game is in fact 20+ hours. Perhaps he didn't finish it?

Wouldn't surprise me.  With the glut of games getting released I'm sure the pressure of deadlines will cause many a game to go unfinished when the review is written.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2004, 05:38:47 AM »

I picked up a copy earlier this afternoon. Yay for me!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2004, 05:47:21 AM »

YAY FOR YOU ROB YOU ARE WINNAR!!!!111one
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2004, 01:22:49 PM »

This game is Rachet and Clank: Going Commando EX Super Edition Expansion Pack.

Alot of the same art assests, level decorations, and so forth are used. With that said, it still feels and plays like a new game, and is still platforming goodness. Of course, the platforming aspect isnt really there anymore, its mainly a shooter now with jumping elements.

Its a great title, great humor, great look (Thank god for Progressive and Widescreen), and easily worth the 16 hours it took me to beat it.

Not as hard as Going Commando, but thats nice as I didn't get frustrated at certain points like with GC.

10/10
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2004, 02:18:20 PM »

easily worth the 16 hours it took me to beat it.

Wow!!! Not so much the length of the game - but the fact that you got 16 hours of time with it in about a day!! Did you eat/pee? :wink:

Glad to hear you still liked it!

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2004, 03:16:57 PM »

RRMORTON SAYS:I picked up a copy earlier this afternoon. Yay for me!

OH! Look who rears his head

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2004, 05:56:43 PM »

I WANT MY PS2 BACK!
Mudfrost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2004, 06:43:34 PM »

The R&C series is almost worth the cost of a PS2.  Add in Katamari Damacy, the Dynasty series, and a slew of RPGs, and you've got it justified.  :wink:
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2004, 06:54:52 PM »

The R&C series is almost worth the cost of a PS2. Add in Katamari Damacy, the Dynasty series, and a slew of RPGs, and you've got it justified.

DAMN RIGHT.

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2004, 09:56:29 PM »

Picked it up yesterday and played through the first couple of worlds.  I've been loving every second of it.   biggrin

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2004, 06:37:39 PM »

Quote from: "Pharaoh"

Its a great title, great humor, great look (Thank god for Progressive and Widescreen), and easily worth the 16 hours it took me to beat it.

Only took me about 10hrs. Did you complete every optional goal too ?
Great game but a little short and way too easy imo
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2004, 12:42:24 AM »

Only took me about 10hrs. Did you complete every optional goal too ?

Are the optional goals the ones where you are given a chance to go back to your ship or continue through the mission list? I didn't know they were optional! :?

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2004, 12:57:12 PM »

NONO the optional ones are like getting all the sewer crystals.. did youget them all?

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2004, 02:02:23 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
NONO the optional ones are like getting all the sewer crystals.. did youget them all?

...and the ones where you can help the soldiers and annihilation nation

Got all the soldier ones....but no sewer crystals and missed a few goals in AN.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2004, 02:25:22 PM »

and the ones where you can help the soldiers and annihilation nation

I did those.  smile

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2004, 05:50:56 AM »

Holy shit is this game incredible!  If you told me that I would spend 3.5 hours the day Halo 2 came out playing this I wouldn't have believed you.  I *was* trying to hold off but I decided to crack it open and "just play an hour." Well, here it is 3.5 hours later!  So far I'm enjoying it even more than GC.  

Sky-diving needs to be in every game from here on out.  Its just too cool.

The game feels much faster paced than the previous two.  The plot and level design are perfectly for just hammering you forward.  Of course that hasn't stopped me from engaging in all of the arena combat and such.

Quark side scroller- brillaint.  Beautifully animated and lots of fun. I'd pay $20 just for this mini game.

Cinema sequences are way better than the first two (which were already pretty decent).  They've been laugh out loud funny several times already.  

I just cannot get over how much inventive and varied content Insomnia packs into their games year after year.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2004, 06:01:21 AM »

I am deep into GC right now. I am about...80% of the way through, and I am starting to hit a wall and get a bit burned out. I might have to wait on UYA, but it sounds awesome from what you describe.

I also got Sly and Jak2 in the mail today smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2004, 06:05:32 AM »

If you're hitting a wall on GC then it would definitely be best to wait.  UYA is pretty similar.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2004, 12:50:36 PM »

Just an FYI for UYA :

If you didn't read the manual you may not know this :  If you hit L1, L2, R1, R2 simultaneously at the start screen you'll access a demo for Sly 2.  

And I don't know why I was reading the manual.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2004, 04:26:06 PM »

If you're hitting a wall on GC then it would definitely be best to wait.  UYA is pretty similar.

Kev, the reason I seem to get burned out is because as fun as the gameplay is, as much as I enjoy the humor and cutscenes, the action does get repetitive, and I have to retry a lot of sections now, because I am too poor to afford the 250,000 maximum armor upgrade. Anyways...I will finish it up eventually. I am working on Sly 1 a bit now smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2004, 04:38:34 PM »

You might enjoy UYA more.  Most seem to think its much easier than GC.  One of the things I like is that each weapon has four upgrades vice 2 in GC.  While the weapon upgrades are a bit more dramatic in GC, having 4 upgrades means you're getting rewards on a regular basis more frequently.  Bolts also seem easier to come by- several of the missions have challenges integrated in them that net several thousand bolts a shot.  

Couple of other improvements- evidently space combat has been completely overhauled and much less frustrating (haven't encountered it myself yet).

You get a base of operations allowing you to buy weapons, armor, play mini-games, test out a VR arena, and look at your trophies.  A very cool feature of the base is that you can do free "trial runs" on new weapons in a VR arena before you purchase them- a bit of a try before you buy so you can better evaluate which weapons to spend the bolts on.  

The Quark minigame!  I can't say enough about it.  Its very cool, amusing, and fun and it looks like additional episodes are optional following the first one.  Worth playing if only for the cinema sequences that precede and follow each chapter.  

Double the quick select inventory.  Pressing R1 when you have the Quick Select menu  brings up an additional select wheel.  I quickly ran out of the quick select slots in GC so this is a godsend to me.  

Selecting a gadraton vendor will give you an option to refill all ammo for all weapons as a default.  Much less tedious than previous games.

PS- Sly 1 (&2) are awesome games!  Sony has had a slam dunk on platformers this generation.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2004, 04:53:36 PM »

You might enjoy UYA more.  Most seem to think its much easier than GC.  One of the things I like is that each weapon has four upgrades vice 2 in GC.  While the weapon upgrades are a bit more dramatic in GC, having 4 upgrades means you're getting rewards on a regular basis more frequently.  Bolts also seem easier to come by- several of the missions have challenges integrated in them that net several thousand bolts a shot.  

Couple of other improvements- evidently space combat has been completely overhauled and much less frustrating (haven't encountered it myself yet).

You get a base of operations allowing you to buy weapons, armor, play mini-games, test out a VR arena, and look at your trophies.  A very cool feature of the base is that you can do free "trial runs" on new weapons in a VR arena before you purchase them- a bit of a try before you buy so you can better evaluate which weapons to spend the bolts on.  

The Quark minigame!  I can't say enough about it.  Its very cool, amusing, and fun and it looks like additional episodes are optional following the first one.  Worth playing if only for the cinema sequences that precede and follow each chapter.  

Double the quick select inventory.  Pressing R1 when you have the Quick Select menu  brings up an additional select wheel.  I quickly ran out of the quick select slots in GC so this is a godsend to me.  

Selecting a gadraton vendor will give you an option to refill all ammo for all weapons as a default.  Much less tedious than previous games.

PS- Sly 1 (&2) are awesome games!  Sony has had a slam dunk on platformers this generation.

The changes to RC sound absolutely AWESOME! I may just put GC away for a slow day and get UYA as soon as I finish Halo2. The things you said address every single one of my complaints with GC.

As for Sly, maybe you can address my issues with that game, or tell me if SLy 2 fixes them, since I got that one in the mail coming today as well!

1. I hate it that I dont have armor or lives...having to repeat several portions many times is very frustrating, because frankly, I suck ass at platforming and the jumping aspects.
2. I  find it difficult to get all the clues, I am always missing something and then not getting my upgrades.
3. More frequent continue points.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2004, 05:06:37 PM »

Unfortunately, the second Sly 2 is something of a diluted experience compared to the sheer awesome platforming of the first game. Still, it is a very good game, and it addresses some of your biggest complaints:

1) Sly 2 has a health bar, and there is no insta-death from missing a jump. You just lose health. There is an upgrade from the clues that allows you to recover from a missed jump without dying somewhere in the first game.

2) I'm not sure about the first game anymore, but in the second you could find clues by sound alone. Just listen for the clinking bottle sound and then follow the sound until you find the clue bottle.

3) Sly 2 has a larger hub but smaller individual missions. Having to repeat a large chunk of a level in the second game is very rare, if at all.

I like the first Sly a lot better than the sequel. They removed a lot of the really cool platforming found in the first one. I do like the sneaking elements of Sly 2--but you end up doing minor variations on the same concept too frequently.

Both games are very much worth playing, though.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2004, 05:26:31 PM »

"I am too poor to afford the 250,000 maximum armor upgrade."
Not to discourage you or anything, but that's not the maximum armor upgrade - that costs a million bolts slywink

Also, have you gotten the Shield "weapon" yet.  It is extremely helpful, especially once it's upgraded.  It almost makes the game too easy, but if you're having trouble, it's the cheapest way to go.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2004, 05:28:44 PM »

Yeah, Sly 2 is easier than the first IMO, primarily due to additional damage Sly can take before dying.  Also because, as Andrew mentioned, the levels themselves are smaller but more numerous so there's less to replay if you die.

In Sly 1 you could do something to get a set of binoculars that would let you see the clues on each level but I forgot what you had to do to get them.

Sly 2 doesn't seem to have that- you have to find the clues by listening for the bottles.

Sly 2 focues a bit more on the stealth aspect than the first game.  Sly can sneak up on enemies and pickpocket them and the hub levels are designed for Sly to stick to rooftops and such to stay out of sight.  

I'd rank them equal to one another.  Sly 2 makes a lot of improvements and changes to the formula and is also much longer but at the cost of some of the pure platforming elements that were the source of some of Sly 1's greatest levels.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: