http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 10:44:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters (PSP)  (Read 2671 times)
DarkEL
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 30, 2007, 09:30:06 PM »

Holy Crap!!

I've been so focused on my projects that the new Ratchet and Clank game for the PSP completely slipped off my radar until I got an email from Sony today about it coming out next month.

I'm a huge Ratchet and Clank fan so this is definetly a must have for me.

http://www.us.playstation.com/PSP/Games/UCUS-98633?DCMP=EMC-PSPNews0107&ATT=RatchetSizeMatters

Must remember to pre-order this one later this week.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »

Yeah, the same happened to me.  I saw a mention of it on GAF or something and checked the release date on EB's website and was shocked to find out that it releases in two weeks.  Can't wait and hope it holds up the standards that Daxter set. 
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 10:40:26 PM »

I participated in the multiplayer beta, so it never slipped off my radar.  I have definitely been looking forward to it.  Hopefully is exceeds Daxter.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 10:41:04 PM »

really like the idea that they've gone back to early r&c gameplay basics (ie: giant clank!), & that they've included a number of references to previous adventures / creatures. a couple of nice videos here, one of which includes interviews with some of the high impact staff (some of whom are former insomniacs)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 02:05:33 PM »

Worthplaying posted a hands on review
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=40436

Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters may not be as expansive or as lengthy as Daxter, but the combination of an engrossing single-player campaign and a well-executed online multiplayer mode makes this an easy recommendation for all PSP owners. Anxious fans need not worry High Impact has done a great job of bringing this odd couple to the small screen

Can't wait!!!!!
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 12:45:12 AM »

just played thru the intro level/planet. had to switch the strafe setup to the knob, but, other than that, & the expected rustiness, had no problems, camera/other -wise. very pretty, weirdly funny as always, loads up fast - looks like it'll provide (maybe with the exception of the hellish final boss battle i've been reading about) a good dose of berzerk, back to basics r&c-style madness (i'm so glad clank is back!)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 02:06:52 AM »

Anyone try it online yet?

Bots available for offline skirmishes?

Thinking about getting it friday but if nobody is playing online (and there's no bots to play multiplayer with as a substitute) then it just wouldn't be worth it to me.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 02:22:55 AM »

i'm not seeing bot options in the manual or game...

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 02:24:11 AM »

Alas, none of my local stores got it today, evidently due to shipping delays from bad weather elsewhere. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 03:36:15 AM »

God I wish I could play it frown No way to play PSP games on PS3, right?
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 03:51:33 AM »

Yeah sadly no bots.. I did a search for it after posting and a Gamespy preview came up with No bots in multiplayer; under the "Iffy" catagory. Too bad.

However there's still hope for the online portion.. no one yet? If it turns out to be like Xmen Legends II which had full online support (including COOP) yet not a soul playing it online, then what's the point?
Just me personally but if a game doesn't have online play, or at least bots to substitute for the lack of, I don't waste my money on it.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 12:50:12 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on February 15, 2007, 03:51:33 AM

Just me personally but if a game doesn't have online play, or at least bots to substitute for the lack of, I don't waste my money on it.

I've tried online for PSP games (Ratchet and Clank Beta and Twisted Metal) and I don't get into it near as much as on a home system (PC or XBox or PS3).  Even on those home systems, if a game doesn't have multiplayer, I don't really care as long as the single player is really good.  I tend to only play single player on most games that have some kind of multiplayer, anyway.  I'll probably only play single on Ratchet and Clank, so the lack of multiplayer options isn't a deterrent for me.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 03:29:31 PM »

finished the next 2 planets - &, other than the hoverboard steering being a little rubbery, there's been nothing not to like/love so far - very cool!...

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 08:44:37 PM »

INNEST EVER!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 11:59:41 PM »

before i dive back in shortly: i think what i'm most impressed with is what impressed me most  about mgs:po as well - r&c:sm feels like a genuine r&c game, rather than some kinda shrunk-down, derivative mutant...

i love my ds, but when psp game's are done well, they're amazingly good...

depward

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 01:14:24 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on February 15, 2007, 11:59:41 PM

i love my ds, but when psp game's are done well, they're amazingly good...
Quoted for truth.  I think you hit the nail on the head semi.

Still on the fence with this one.  I don't know!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2007, 02:15:13 AM »

I want to play psp games on my ps3 frown
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2007, 02:17:08 AM »

Yeah, it really feels like it was made by Insomniac for the PS2.  Controls tok a few minutes to get used to (I've found that it's easiest to just use the D-Pad in conjunction with the shoulder buttons) but once I adapted it's been smooth sailing. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2007, 04:35:49 AM »

just arrived at the sixth planet - well, seventh, if you include
Spoiler for Hiden:
a visit inside ratchet's drug-addled mind?! - very cleverly done...

i think i can safely say that if you're an r&c fan, & you have a psp, you really need to play this game - completely, non-stop whacked smile . makes me wanna go back & play the first 2 again...

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 07:52:53 PM »

Is anyone playing this on a custom firmware PSP? I am on 3.10 OE-A2 and the game won't load. All my other games work fine though...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 07:59:08 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on February 17, 2007, 07:52:53 PM

Is anyone playing this on a custom firmware PSP? I am on 3.10 OE-A2 and the game won't load. All my other games work fine though...

You have to run it at 266 MHz.  Hold down your right trigger when you boot up the system to make the change.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2007, 08:04:10 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 17, 2007, 07:59:08 PM

You have to run it at 266 MHz.  Hold down your right trigger when you boot up the system to make the change.

Oddly enough that worked, you wouldn't happen to know why? I just had it set at default setting, and will that negatively affect any other games. Thanks man. I have a feeling I am going to like this one, but you all will have to wait for the review smile

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2007, 10:05:21 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on February 17, 2007, 08:04:10 PM

Oddly enough that worked, you wouldn't happen to know why? I just had it set at default setting, and will that negatively affect any other games. Thanks man. I have a feeling I am going to like this one, but you all will have to wait for the review smile
No, I don't know why, but I had done some searching on the issue when I couldn't play it and found that answer.  It shouldn't effect anything as the CPU is actually capable of going to 333 MHz.  However, when I put it on that for this game, the music didn't seem to play.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2007, 11:13:03 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 17, 2007, 10:05:21 PM

Quote from: Tebunker on February 17, 2007, 08:04:10 PM

No, I don't know why, but I had done some searching on the issue when I couldn't play it and found that answer.  It shouldn't effect anything as the CPU is actually capable of going to 333 MHz.  However, when I put it on that for this game, the music didn't seem to play.

What makes even less sense is that the PSP runs at 222mhz natively (and all games to my knowledge still only run at this speed - although you'll generally get a frame rate and/or load time boost if you set your system to run at 333mhz). Maybe R&C is the first game that'll actually 'unlock the true power' of the PSP due to the speed boost?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2007, 03:44:24 PM »

on my way to what i'm pretty sure is the last planet, & yes, this game's as much flat-out fun as any psp game i've played - high impact has jam-packed the game with goodies, & completely captured that unique whatever-it-is that makes the r&c games a notch above the rest. beautifully done...

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2007, 12:48:17 AM »

My only problem with this game is that it has been literally painful to play at times.  My strategy during the giant Clank portions in particular have given my left hand really bad cramps.  The analog nub just isn't very well designed.  A extender you could pop on it would help a lot - anyone ever seen something like that?

My only other gripe is that there is almost no (obvious) reward for collecting platinum bolts, only different skins.  I think it was that way in R&C 3, too, although I think if you got everything in the game you got into the Insomniac Museum.

Other than that, there is definitely a lot of fun to be had here with great new weapon upgrades and platforming elements.  The story and cutscenes, which were really lacking in Daxter (although it was a great game) are fantastic so far.  I'm 6 or 7 planets in and looking forward to see what happens.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2007, 04:06:50 AM »

I've played a good bit and want to echo the cramping of the left thumb that has been mentioned.  It mostly hits me on the hoverboard levels.  I absolutely hate those levels, by the way.  The race itself isn't very much fun as the controls kind of suck and there is no real sense of speed.  Then, my thumb wants to die after pushing forward on the nub for the entire race.  Now that I think of it, though, you may not actually have to push forward to go forward.  I will have to try that.  Still, though, the levels sucks beyond belief and I don't like playing them.  I also don't really like the robo battle level either.  I know they put them in their to give some diversity, but honestly, I would be more happy if I could just straight platform.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2007, 04:09:40 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 19, 2007, 12:48:17 AM

My only problem with this game is that it has been literally painful to play at times.  My strategy during the giant Clank portions in particular have given my left hand really bad cramps.  The analog nub just isn't very well designed.  A extender you could pop on it would help a lot - anyone ever seen something like that?

I had one site bookmarked that I purchased a replacement (stick-on) d-pad from, and it had different sized analog nubs too with it. It worked great for turning the digital stick into a Street Fightin' machine, and the analog nubs looked to be different enough to work well.

Unfortunately, Sony shut them down a few months ago, and I don't know of an alternative site out there off-hand. There are products out there, just nothing in the US.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2007, 04:15:42 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 19, 2007, 04:06:50 AM

I've played a good bit and want to echo the cramping of the left thumb that has been mentioned.  It mostly hits me on the hoverboard levels.  I absolutely hate those levels, by the way.  The race itself isn't very much fun as the controls kind of suck and there is no real sense of speed.  Then, my thumb wants to die after pushing forward on the nub for the entire race.  Now that I think of it, though, you may not actually have to push forward to go forward.  I will have to try that.  Still, though, the levels sucks beyond belief and I don't like playing them.  I also don't really like the robo battle level either.  I know they put them in their to give some diversity, but honestly, I would be more happy if I could just straight platform.

Agreed on the hoverboard levels.  Awful, awful stuff and I've never bothered to do anything but what is actually required to progress.

However, I rather enjoy the Clank Challenges and I've probably done 80-90% of them. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2007, 05:19:02 AM »

i haven't experienced any cramping, but part of the reason might be that i've left the psp 'armor' i got with mgs:po on my psp - it makes the psp a bit thicker, & it's felt more comfortable to me that way. that said, i've also done the bare minimum amount of hoverboarding...

&, regarding the 'hellish final boss battle' i mentioned earlier (which i'd read about in a least 2 places) - there is indeed a transporter point right before it which allows you to leave & return, meaning that the people who'd written what i'd read had either a) not seen it (?!), or b) were maybe referring to another boss battle. sorry for any confusion...

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2007, 05:30:55 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 19, 2007, 04:15:42 AM

Quote from: The Grue on February 19, 2007, 04:06:50 AM

Agreed on the hoverboard levels.  Awful, awful stuff and I've never bothered to do anything but what is actually required to progress.

However, I rather enjoy the Clank Challenges and I've probably done 80-90% of them. 

Same here on the hoverboard, I've only done the required races - although I figured out you can just use the d-pad left and right to steer and your button for boost, no need to push forward, so it can actually be  a time to rest the thumb.  I'm kind of 50-50 on the Clank Challenges. 

Semi - do you have a link to what you bought for the PSP?

I wonder if those posters were referring to the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Luna battle
I don't know that I would describe that as hellish, but if you died during that battle, you had to back up a few steps to get back to it each time.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2007, 06:34:36 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 19, 2007, 05:30:55 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Luna battle
I don't know that I would describe that as hellish, but if you died during that battle, you had to back up a few steps to get back to it each time.

Yeah, that was incredibly annoyiing.  The first couple of segments were neat the first time or too but mind numbing after that and I didn't care for that boss battle itself. 
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2007, 06:57:13 AM »

I pre-ordered the game from Amazon (since we have a prime membership) but there was a delay in shipping so I won't have the game until tomorrow  :-(

Glad to hear that others are enjoying it though
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2007, 12:44:55 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 19, 2007, 06:34:36 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Luna battle

Yeah, that was incredibly annoyiing.  The first couple of segments were neat the first time or too but mind numbing after that and I didn't care for that boss battle itself. 

I just got through it last night and I had the same problem with it.  You had to keep going through those sequences, which were fun the first time (actually, they weren't even that great then), but got very annoying to have to go through over and over to finally put that particular boss to rest.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2007, 02:59:48 PM »

Semi - do you have a link to what you bought for the PSP?

except for ebay , unfortunately, no - what i'm using was a pre-order bonus with mgs:po...

& yes, i'm pretty sure it was that sequence rather than the final boss...

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2007, 11:21:01 PM »

Well, I am at the final boss (I think) - maybe it's not hellish, but it ain't easy.  I have figured out how to get him about halfway down fairly easily and I have ideas about how to beat his next set of attacks, but now I have to go back out and get some bolts to buy more ammo.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2007, 02:35:46 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 19, 2007, 11:21:01 PM

Well, I am at the final boss (I think) - maybe it's not hellish, but it ain't easy.  I have figured out how to get him about halfway down fairly easily and I have ideas about how to beat his next set of attacks, but now I have to go back out and get some bolts to buy more ammo.

just beat'm. the shield helps, but i went mainly rocket launcher, pda refills, & lots of sideways hopping...

for some easy bolts:
Spoiler for Hiden:
back on the junkyard planet (with the first set of clank challenges), use the reverse magnet on the circular door by the ship. go to the end, & you're then able to freely beam back to there from the outside...

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2007, 04:40:12 AM »

OK, I might be starting to agree with the opinions about the final boss battle.  I have the full suit of mega-bomb armor and every decent weapon maxed out and I haven't been able to get the guy much lower than halfway.  Even with the best armor about 3 hits is all you can take and they never offer you any extra health.  The thing I appreciated about the other R&C games (at least 2 and 3) was that if you're not a an excellent gamer you could trade skill for time and eventually have the best armor and weapons and then breeze through the final battle.  Here, not so much.  I don't know when I will wind up finishing this one frown 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 04:42:10 AM by Teggy » Logged

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2007, 04:58:13 AM »

I hate the final boss battle as well.  I can only get the guy down to about 1/4 health left.  I cannot seem to properly dodge the times he sends out the multiple waves and it just eats my lunch.  Add to the fact that when you die, you lose all the ammo you consumed and so I have to basically go grind to collect money to get more ammo when I run out after a failed attempt.  I hate to say it, but I may just call it quits on this one.  Tonight on my flight from Monterrey to Mexico City, I just went and did some of the side mini games just so I wasn't fighting the boss.  I have tried about 15 times and failed.  I am using the shields and since you can't buy refills for this and I get hit by those multi-wave attacks, I go through 5 charges of shield fairly quickly.  None of my weapons seem to damage him very much.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2007, 05:14:02 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 21, 2007, 04:58:13 AM

I hate to say it, but I may just call it quits on this one. 

Agreed.  It's not so much the difficulty since I know *what* to do and I will get it eventually.  The problem is that I'm out of freakin' bolts so I can't get any more ammo without grinding.  I'm giving it one last go since I just did my final refill but no way is seeing the ending cinematic work grinding for bolts.  I'll see it on youtube or download a game save. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: