http://gamingtrend.com
September 24, 2014, 04:56:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rainbow Six Vegas 2  (Read 21980 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 20, 2008, 03:40:01 PM »

I never played the first Vegas.  Do these games have a setup phase where you designate how you want your teams to move through the map, what doors to hold for a go command, and all that?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 20, 2008, 03:42:54 PM »

It's not like the old PC games where you plan it all out ahead of time, but the campaign mode does have you telling AI guys where to stack up and how to breach then issuing the go command.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 20, 2008, 03:49:32 PM »

They should make a Wii port that focuses entirely on the planning and command aspects.  That could be so awesome.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 20, 2008, 03:54:41 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 20, 2008, 03:42:54 PM

It's not like the old PC games where you plan it all out ahead of time, but the campaign mode does have you telling AI guys where to stack up and how to breach then issuing the go command.

the PC games had a planning stage?  Tongue  I actually ditched most of the teammates in the PC games and ran the maps solo, except for the rare map that would require multiple teams (like one of the last ones in the very first game with multiple devices that needed to be disarmed within minutes of each other).  I do miss the fact that you never had to worry about enemies spawning back in after you cleared an area-  now it's pretty much 'ok, I cleared the area but one I start hacking/disarming this device we're going to get swarmed by more bad guys than are in any given Steven Seagal movie'.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 20, 2008, 03:57:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 20, 2008, 03:54:41 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on March 20, 2008, 03:42:54 PM

the PC games had a planning stage?  Tongue  I actually ditched most of the teammates in the PC games and ran the maps solo, except for the rare map that would require multiple teams (like one of the last ones in the very first game with multiple devices that needed to be disarmed within minutes of each other).  I do miss the fact that you never had to worry about enemies spawning back in after you cleared an area-  now it's pretty much 'ok, I cleared the area but one I start hacking/disarming this device we're going to get swarmed by more bad guys than are in any given Steven Seagal movie'.

Yeah that's why I could never get into the PC R6 games...you had to map out your entire path through the level at the beginning o_0.  No thanks!!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 20, 2008, 04:08:10 PM »

Aww, that was the best part!
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 20, 2008, 04:51:31 PM »

New system is better than the planning which was fun but probably not very realistic.  In the original Rainbow the team could not react/adapt to dynamic situations.  The best solution might be to allow you to tweak the plan mid mission.  But hardly anyone makes hardcore games with steep learning curves anymore and Ubi's direction with Rainbow seems to be to make it more accessible to casual FPS fans.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 20, 2008, 05:19:13 PM »

How has the framerate been? I read the GI interview yesterday and they said it was smooth, but that's not what IGN was saying. So what's the verdict?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 20, 2008, 05:21:08 PM »

I've seen slowdown during explosions, otherwise it's fine.  360 version for me.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 20, 2008, 05:52:06 PM »

I loved the first R6:LV.  One of the best games on the system.

I'm not so fond of this one.  There are AI glitches (which may have been present on the first one, but are far more noticeable now).  For example, my two idiot teammates got stuck on the same shiny puddle in the parking garage that Ceekay mentioned earlier.

There's also a lot more of the one-shot kill sniper action; I'm talking about the one where you run out and get instantly shot by a sniper without warning they're there.  It's annoying, and indicative of very poor level design.

Difficulty seems up a notch in this one than the last one, or maybe it's just the one-shot snipers that piss me off.

But I'm still liking it quite a lot.  Just not as much as I liked the first one.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 20, 2008, 05:57:06 PM »

Oh man I just picked up a gun from a terrorist (MFC) and it rules!!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 20, 2008, 05:57:12 PM »

Two missions in, I am very very unsure how I feel about this game. It is technically proficient, it runs well enough, the gunplay feels good (even though the spread on the guns gets a little ridiculous at times), but its a very, very "been there, done that" feeling, and so far, for whatever reason, the missions don't feel as interesting, diverse, or engaging. Even worse, the game feels harder-not harder in that I suck now (although that is possible, but I did finish R6V1 on realistic solo), it feels harder because the enemies have omniscience with regards to where you are behind cover, and can thus kill you quickly and frustratingly, and to make it worse, the enemies just "pop-up" all over the place now when in the first game they rarely ever did-enemy placement tended to be somewhat logical or at least predefined. V2, in the first mission, goes back to introduce enemies that just come out of nowhere, and by mission 2 has fallen back on this multiple times with large waves of enemies. Let's not even talk about windows with LMG's on turrets opening up with no warning and no way to find cover and killing you instantly. Twice. In one level. That is the type of odd, bullshit gameplay that only creeped into Vegas 1 at the very end of the game-and to find it so frequently already in V2 is extremely worrisome. Tactical and slow means getting  a fair chance at the beginning of every level.

At one point in mission 2, very near the end, the controller lets me know I can flank a door and attack through a window. I quietly crept around to the window, and as soon as I was visible, the AI blew out the windows and shot me dead before I could even turn around. So, I guess going in through that window wasn't going to be much help after all?
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: March 20, 2008, 06:10:25 PM »

I've got the game but haven't cracked it open yet.

I heard that the game remembers you from before.   And even more specifically, it will "reward" you with little extras on your character setup if you finished the previous game at realistic or achieved elite status.   Can anyone confirm this?   I'm 1/2 way to 3/4's of the way through the last location in V1 on realistic.  I have played it all the way through on normal.   Wondering if I should just make the jump to this one.  New game smell is tempting me.

- shaggy

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 20, 2008, 06:14:30 PM »

I see your thoughts are similar to mine, Calvin.  It's good...but just not as good as the first one.  It's "off."  And I know exactly what window you were talking about...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 20, 2008, 06:20:54 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on March 20, 2008, 06:14:30 PM

I see your thoughts are similar to mine, Calvin.  It's good...but just not as good as the first one.  It's "off."  And I know exactly what window you were talking about...

You are exactly right-it's just "off". It's like visiting a very familiar place (or game, since it's so similar) and looking around and realizing that something has changed for the worse. Hard to put a finger on it, but it's just not right. 2 missions certaily is not enough for a fair, final evaluation though, so I reserve the right to amend my thoughts.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 20, 2008, 07:19:56 PM »

It almost sounds like you guys are playing realistic.  On normal, sprinting from cover to cover, peeking out to assess the situation, not once have I been one-shotted.

I think I did that window part too but they didn't see me right away when I was crouched under it.  There was a patrol above the ladder though but you can take him out stealthily without alerting others.  What's with breaking the window with the butt of the rifle before firing?  Is that standard practice?
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 20, 2008, 07:50:31 PM »

Smurff and I went through the campaign on normal co-op last night/this morning.  There were a few glitches I ran into, but some of them were just lag spikes, and most of the rest were me not being used to the controls and style of the game.  I can't count the number of times that I held in the left trigger trying to zoom in on someone.  I still don't understand how the game 'can't handle' 4 people playing through the campaign, yet can still have 2 humans and 2 ai.

I had a good deal of fun and have every intention of playing through again.  (or maybe more than once)  Haven't touched the MP side of things as of yet, but from playing the SP and some T-hunts, I expect it to be quite a bit of fun. 

There is no point to playing ranked as far as I can tell, other than bragging rights and the few achievements.  The ranked only achievements used to annoy me, now I don't worry about  because I would rather have fun.  I am sure that I will miss the party system again, but considering that you can join matches in progress this time around it is less of an issue to me.

Soulchilde:  RE: COV.  I'm not resisting I'm afraid, I just don't find the game to be very fun.  I keep thinking about it, and there are a lot of things that Should appeal to me, but in the end it feels like pretty much any other MMO.  I get really bored, really fast.  For whatever reason when I play MMO's I 'see through' the illusion much quicker than when playing other types of games. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 07:56:10 PM by Jarrodhk » Logged

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 20, 2008, 08:25:23 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on March 20, 2008, 07:50:31 PM

Smurff and I went through the campaign on normal co-op last night/this morning. 

so that's why you guys ignored the one or two invites that we sent your way  Tongue  At least Moriarty liked us enough to join up.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: March 20, 2008, 11:35:51 PM »

360 Owners!!

In case you didn't get your RS:V2 from BestBuy, here's the special Weapon unlock code:

In the MAIN MENU use the following code to unlock the Exclusive Best Buy Assault Rifle:
(HOLD RB) Down, Down, Up, Up, X, B, X, B, Y Up, Up, Y

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: March 20, 2008, 11:56:27 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 20, 2008, 11:35:51 PM

360 Owners!!

In case you didn't get your RS:V2 from BestBuy, here's the special Weapon unlock code:

In the MAIN MENU use the following code to unlock the Exclusive Best Buy Assault Rifle:

If I'm reading this right, it just unlocks the Tar21 earlier than if you earned it through ACES skill (Marksman)

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 21, 2008, 12:41:04 AM »

Quote from: skystride on March 20, 2008, 07:19:56 PM

It almost sounds like you guys are playing realistic.  On normal, sprinting from cover to cover, peeking out to assess the situation, not once have I been one-shotted.

I've been playing normal, and several times I got one shotted peeking around a corner, but in all fairness it has been mostly the snipers that get me.  mostly.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 21, 2008, 12:57:48 AM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on March 20, 2008, 11:56:27 PM

Quote from: Purge on March 20, 2008, 11:35:51 PM

360 Owners!!

If I'm reading this right, it just unlocks the Tar21 earlier than if you earned it through ACES skill (Marksman)

Yep, that's the one.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 21, 2008, 12:58:52 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 21, 2008, 12:41:04 AM

Quote from: skystride on March 20, 2008, 07:19:56 PM

I've been playing normal, and several times I got one shotted peeking around a corner, but in all fairness it has been mostly the snipers that get me.  mostly.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 21, 2008, 01:24:21 AM »

Hey guys, not sure if this was posted already....directions on how to get that free comcast map:

Unlock this ‘Comcast Event Map’ by following these instructions:
Step 1

Go to the Main Menu of ‘Rainbow 6: Vegas 2’.

Step 2

Select “Extras”.

Step 3

Select “Comcast Gift”.

Step 4

Enter the code “Comcast Faster” (without quotes) when prompted and enjoy the new multi-player map, ‘Comcast Event’

http://gameinvasion.comcast.net/gameinvasion/r6v2/activation
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: March 21, 2008, 02:50:44 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 21, 2008, 01:24:21 AM

Enter the code “Comcast Faster” (without quotes) when prompted and enjoy the new multi-player map, ‘Comcast Event’

http://gameinvasion.comcast.net/gameinvasion/r6v2/activation

Okay, I'm sorry, but...good fucking lord that's just lame as hell. Advertising at its worst.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 21, 2008, 03:22:27 AM »

I decided that since RSV1 is my favorite shooter on the 360 I owe it to myself to try the sequel, hopefully it's at least as good as the original. Not expecting anything new or ground-breaking despite what the lying ass developers were promising.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 21, 2008, 04:14:09 AM »

I am at the start of the fourth mission and my impressions continue to be almost entirely unfavorable. I am, for whatever reason, just not having much fun. To make it even worse, mission 3 featured absolutely awful slowdown. Some areas were choppy enough to almost upset my stomach (totally weird, I never have that reaction to games). I was in that stupid rec center in that killzone with the climbing walls, some smoke got popped, and the game dipped down to what appeared to be single digit FPS. It was not pretty. So far the gameplay is not satisfying, the performance is poor, the level design is at best mediocre. I will keep going and likely try to play some more tonight-but I am not really having much fun with it.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 21, 2008, 04:35:36 AM »

If you aren't having fun playing a game.  Don't play it.  Seriously, why spend time on something that you don't enjoy? 

Of course I say this and I keep trying out MMO's when I know I won't spend more than a week at the most on one.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 21, 2008, 04:37:26 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on March 21, 2008, 04:35:36 AM

If you aren't having fun playing a game.  Don't play it.  Seriously, why spend time on something that you don't enjoy? 

Of course I say this and I keep trying out MMO's when I know I won't spend more than a week at the most on one.

Because of one reason-I liked the first, and even with the flaws I should be enjoying this one. I am also in a shitty mood in general, and have a lot on my mind. So at this point I am not entirely willing to blame it on the many flaws I see in the game-its possible I would just ignore many of them if I was more in the mood. So I am trying to be fair and give it more chances.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 21, 2008, 05:46:57 AM »

Ah, yeah that makes sense man.  I've learned that anymore if I'm in certain moods I have to just stay away from games I really like, or I can end up never going back thanks to frustration.

Edit: can't spell 'sense'

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 21, 2008, 06:37:20 AM »

Wow. 

After playing MP for the first time tonight (Bobehm) I'm amazed how differently it plays from COD4.  It took me about 5 matches to "get" it.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 21, 2008, 12:59:33 PM »

Plus, a lot of games have a hump you need to get past.  I was just not having fun with the beginning of Zelda Twilight Princess and shelved it for months.  When I finally restarted the game it turned out I had been only 30 minutes away from getting to the kind of gameplay I love in Zelda games.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 21, 2008, 01:33:14 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 21, 2008, 12:59:33 PM

Plus, a lot of games have a hump you need to get past.  I was just not having fun with the beginning of Zelda Twilight Princess and shelved it for months.  When I finally restarted the game it turned out I had been only 30 minutes away from getting to the kind of gameplay I love in Zelda games.

This makes me wonder though if games are shooting themselves in the foot by making you wait and/or shifting gameplay during your experience.  Should you really have to go through 30+ minutes of non-fun experience to get to something you enjoy?  Every now and then (especially in mmorpg's) I have to just sit back and remind myself that games are supposed to be fun.  If the process of playing isn't fun, I shouldn't play it regardless of if the end result will be fun.  Grinding towards a goal for example should itself be fun.  So far CoX is the only game for me where the process of levelling up remains fun for me.  I'm looking forward to games that let you level up solely through pvp so that I can have fun throughout.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 21, 2008, 02:02:56 PM »

I played a bit more SP last night.  I'm diggin' the size of the maps in the SP campaign.  They're freakin' huge.  The first game was excellent as well, but the maps felt too linear for me.  It was like "Go from point A to point B to finish level".  In vegas 2 I get to Point B and I find out I've got to now head to Point C then D then...well, you get the idea. 

Plus, they really have added some variety to the way in which i can approach most situations with enemies. 

The only downside is that the game is so darn intense that I can only play about an hour or so at a time before my nerves are shredded.   icon_biggrin

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 21, 2008, 02:27:54 PM »

How are the checkpoints this time around?  I occasionally found them frustrating in the first one.

I bought this the other day, but haven't opened it yet.  I know I'll want to play it eventually, but I'm thinking I might wait for a nicer price.  The only reason for me to open it now is that I might miss out on the big MP rush.  So what do you think of that issue?  Should I open it now?  Or continue playing COD4 for a while?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 21, 2008, 03:03:21 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on March 21, 2008, 02:27:54 PM

How are the checkpoints this time around?  I occasionally found them frustrating in the first one.

there seems to be more of them, and one always seems to pop up before a big firefight.  I'm only up to the 3rd mission though, so that could change.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: March 21, 2008, 03:09:41 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 21, 2008, 01:33:14 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on March 21, 2008, 12:59:33 PM

This makes me wonder though if games are shooting themselves in the foot by making you wait and/or shifting gameplay during your experience.  Should you really have to go through 30+ minutes of non-fun experience to get to something you enjoy?  Every now and then (especially in mmorpg's) I have to just sit back and remind myself that games are supposed to be fun.  If the process of playing isn't fun, I shouldn't play it regardless of if the end result will be fun.  Grinding towards a goal for example should itself be fun.  So far CoX is the only game for me where the process of levelling up remains fun for me.  I'm looking forward to games that let you level up  solely through pvp so that I can have fun throughout.

I detest the pattern that games have followed: Tutorial level to get gamers used to the game = longer play time = more value = 10(+) hours! =OMGWTFBBQ@KGsHIZZOUSE.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 21, 2008, 03:31:38 PM »

Well, I was able to play the tutorial last night til the GF kicked me off of the 360.  MY only problem is that I'm trained for CoD4, so I need to get used to R6 controls again.  Hopefully, I'll get more time with it tonite

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 21, 2008, 03:31:46 PM »

I played  some split screen coop with my son last night. We played the tutorial and the first mission. So far I'm liking it. I think the checkpoints are a little better. I agree with an earlier post about being one shot by enemies. I had that happened several times. The window advice got me killed as well.  icon_biggrin As luck would have it, all the enemies turned to shoot me and my son came in another door and killed all three. I should have got a medal for self sacrifice.  icon_biggrin
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 21, 2008, 03:32:28 PM »

I feel crazy saying this, but this one just looks worse than the original. I dont know if because the first was so shockingly good looking for its time (flying down the strip, into hotels), but after running through a warehouse to save immigrants, a rec center, and some aspen radar station, its just not very exciting. Its almost like playing Raven Shield again...it probally doesnt help the story is absolutely patchwork and told through radio chat which is drowned out by the music in defaut settings, but this game has awile to go before it reaches the fun of the first.

MP is another mixed bag. While all of us are looking at it differently after CoD4, it certainlly illustrates what worked with CoD and what doesn't with R6:V2. First of all, the levels are ugly and pretty poorly designed. Most of them I've seen are just mirrored copies of the same side, with teams expected to meet in the middle. Secondly, C4 and grenade spam are still far too easy to abuse with everyone having precision radars enabled. The guns dont really feel different, and the netcode is wonky...I cant host a co-op game with a friend without lag, but I can host an 8 player ranked match flawlessly...

I dont know, maybe my gaming palette is just off from CoD4 and other fps shooters, but this one just strikes me as too little, too late. Been there, done that, got the postcard, and the collectable keychain!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: