http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 05:22:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rainbow Six: Patriots  (Read 1599 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2011, 11:56:36 PM »

the squad returns, but not until 2013.  Game Informer is doing a spread on the game.

In addition to an in-depth look at the campaign, the cover story also explores the new tactical improvements being injected into the old Rainbow formula and addresses how developer Ubisoft Montreal hopes to recapture the multiplayer crown from Call of Duty and Battlefield.

I wonder if any of these new 'tactical improvements' involve going back to the old tactical formula that we had pre-Lockdown.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 12:34:36 AM »

you mean i can shoot occupy wallstreet people?  I'm in!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 02:19:51 AM »

Hell, pre-Rainbow Six 3.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 02:28:33 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 04, 2011, 02:19:51 AM

Hell, pre-Rainbow Six 3.

Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield was still pretty good.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 02:55:08 AM »

It didn't have the strategy element.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 03:50:53 AM »

it's been awhile since I played, but according to wiki:

The gameplay in the console version of Rainbow Six 3 is somewhat different from that of the PC version.

Unlike the PC version, the console version does not feature a mission planning stage, or the ability to control multiple characters. Players take the role of Rainbow field commander Ding Chavez, and lead a single fireteam consisting of three AI-controlled teammates through each of the game's missions. Orders can be issued to the teammates using either an in-game menu, or through voice-commands via the Xbox Live headset. This, however, suffered from slight misunderstandings between similar phrases such as "Open frag and clear" and "open flash and clear," and vice-versa. To compensate for the decreased control players have over their squad, the squad AI has been improved, with squadmates being able to automatically duck behind objects or assume covering positions within an area.

The action is also slightly more forgiving in the console version. The player and his teammates each have a "health bar" consisting of four units of health, which must be depleted before that Rainbow operative is incapacitated. In the console versions, it is possible for the player to sustain several bullet hits before dying.

are you perhaps thinking of the console version?

[edit]  I pulled up the manual for the PC version and it definitely had planning and go codes and all that fun stuff.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 03:53:39 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 04:02:50 AM »

Yeah - I think so.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 02:31:51 PM »

Man, I'd kill to have a Rainbow Six game with the planning stage back in place.  It's loss is a perfect example of playing to the lowest common denominator in a gaming franchise.  icon_frown

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 02:39:52 PM »

granted, I never really used the planning stage but knowing I had the option was nice.  I always went solo when possible, and if I needed to co-ordinate I'd set up a simple 2 go code route for the AI and clear out everything before even issuing the first go code.  I think I had to do that 3 times in the first 3 games (once on the airplane mission (Rogue Spear), again during the Olympic Games one (first game) and finally once during the art museum (rogue spear again).

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 02:43:27 PM »

At this point I'd be very surprised if they did separate PC and console versions. This does remind me that I need to finally get around to playing RS3. I loved setting my guys motion and seeing how well they could do without controlling them.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 03:04:31 PM »

I've been recently playing Rainbow Six 3 Gold and Ravenshield and can confirm that they did indeed have strategic planning at the beginning of missions and 2 teams, one of which you play on as the lead. If this new game is going with that formula I'm IN. Not including it for the console version is nothing new; R6-3 and R6-3 Black Arrow for XBox that released around the same time as Raven Shield didn't have that feature either. I don't know about UBI recaliming the mplay crown from CoD or Battlefield; IIRC none of the R6-3 games had that big of an online community. IMO the better R6-3 games own either of those for gameplay though.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 09:19:11 PM »

Vegas 1 was a great game even without the planning part.  But I don't know if that sort of gameplay will hold up post COD4 era.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 05:02:51 PM »

Quote from: skystride on November 04, 2011, 09:19:11 PM

Vegas 1 was a great game even without the planning part.  But I don't know if that sort of gameplay will hold up post COD4 era.

The mission planner is entirely optional in R6-3 Gold. You either use it and go with 2 teams, or don't and just lead your one team. My guess is that UBI has finally grabbed hold of some intelligence and looked at the shooter scene and decided they're aren't going to compete with EA or Activision by releasing a CoD or BF style game. Falling back on what they did in the past on the PC will at least give them enough sales to cover costs and make some profit. The positive side of this is its a big publisher talking about developing something specific to the PC, and we all know there's too little of that these days. slywink
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 05:04:42 PM by kronovan » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 04:32:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 03, 2011, 11:56:36 PM

In addition to an in-depth look at the campaign, the cover story also explores the new tactical improvements being injected into the old Rainbow formula and addresses how developer Ubisoft Montreal hopes to recapture the multiplayer crown from Call of Duty and Battlefield.
I wonder if any of these new 'tactical improvements' involve going back to the old tactical formula that we had pre-Lockdown.
With me, all they have to do to "recapture" the MP crown from COD:MW and Battlefield is offer me a more deliberately tactical experience where I don't get shot blown up or shot in the head every time I spawn into the game.  smirk Apparently though the rest of the world enjoys that, which is why I'm sending no more money towards those franchises.

SOCOM: Tactical Strike (PSP) was the most richly tactical action experience I'd had on any platform in years. Which of course meant it "undersold" and got no sequels cause the masses really just wanted to blow up everything in sight. I remember playing it and saying "Wow, this is so cool! I can't even believe this game ever got made!"  icon_razz

I've made my peace with that, but if Patriots on PC is remotely like the older R6 games I remember, I'll certainly be willing to invest in it, FPS motion sickness issues be damned.  icon_smile I dutifully bought Raven Shield and R6: Vegas on PC but either didn't much enjoy them or encountered my usual motion sickness issues (never really an issue on the older games as I could usually play third-person).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 04:34:40 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 08:52:03 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 07, 2011, 04:32:10 PM

I dutifully bought Raven Shield and R6: Vegas on PC but either didn't much enjoy them or encountered my usual motion sickness issues (never really an issue on the older games as I could usually play third-person).

I'll have to check, but I'm fairly certain you can play Raven Shield in a 3rd person view. My only doubt is that that might be something that was intro'd in  R6-3 Gold. I can actually still enjoy a CoD or BF style shooter despite being terrible at mplay and never ranking much above the middle. That said, the only such game I play now is CoD4 PC and almost exclusively on the hardcore servers where play is much more strategic.

[Edit] I fired R6-3 Gold up last night and no 3rd person. Don't know what other shooter I was confusing it with - maybe Ghost Recon. The strategic planning is impressive and considering when it was released I think it was a bit ahead of it's time control-wise as it controls much like modern miltiary shootes like CoD4 and BF. Its definitely a one-bullet-kills hardcore shooter. Think I'm going to revisit the campaign once I'm done with The Witcher.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 03:56:06 PM by kronovan » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 05:03:51 PM »

R6-3 Gold makes me wish I still have my voice commnad software for my PC - there's quite a lot of key commands in it for controlling teammates. Unfortunately UBI didn't take the approach tha Ops Flashpoint did back in the day, with a mouse controlled command wheel for commanding teams. Not a problem for your own team as it's really just point 'n' click for the most part, but the 2nd team involves quite a few key shortcuts if you still want to command them. Surely they'll do it differently this time around.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 08:41:55 AM »

new preview on Joystiq: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/28/the-darker-gray-of-rainbow-6-patriots/

story sounds interesting enough, from one of the screenshots it looks like they're making it have more future tech though.

Because I can,
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 08:35:48 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 08, 2011, 08:41:55 AM

new preview on Joystiq: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/28/the-darker-gray-of-rainbow-6-patriots/

story sounds interesting enough, from one of the screenshots it looks like they're making it have more future tech though.

Hmm I would like to hear more about gameplay but all this guy wants to talk about is "metaphorically sitting down" because he is uneasy with the subject matter.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 04:25:08 PM »

Oh my. Blue's just pointed out this GameInformer piece:

UPDATE: Ubisoft Montreal Decapitates Rainbow 6 Patriots Dev Team
According to our sources, Ubisoft Montreal has restructured the development team, removing creative director David Sears, narrative director Richard Rouse III, lead designer Philippe Therien, and animation director Brent George from the project, all of whom we interviewed for our Rainbow 6 Patriots cover story.

Rainbow 6 Patriots is tentatively scheduled to release in 2013 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. How this shakeup affects the rest of the development remains to be seen. We have reached out to Ubisoft for a comment.
UPDATE: We received the following official comment from Ubisoft:

"David Sears is no longer on the Tom Clancy’s Rainbow 6 Patriots team and the new Creative Director is Jean-Sebastien Decant. The development team is still hard at work to deliver the next installment of the revered Tom Clancy series and more details on the game will be revealed at a later date."
*I fixed my borked link. Sorry, still getting used to these "proper URL" codes.  icon_redface
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:58:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 06:50:38 PM »

I'm not liking what I'm hearing about this. As far as I'm concerned the Ubi Montreal studio is the best asset that company has. I'm curious why so many leads and managers are being moved off of this project. If this turns out to be meddling by the incompetent, asshats in France, I'm so OUT on this game.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 07:01:33 PM »

My thought (based on no insights whatsoever icon_smile) is that either this "storytelling style" that GameInformer mentions was at odds with the type of product Ubi wanted and those devs didn't want to change this late in the game; or the game was simply over time and over budget, and Ubi got PO'd about it. Or maybe those guys discussed breaking off to form their own studio, Ubi heard about it and got PO'd -- that particular theory would explain why so many would get expunged (rather than just one guy), if that is in fact the case.

I'm sure if I shook a few trees, more conspiracy theory coconuts would fall off and hit my head like that...

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 08:58:30 PM »

have you seen trailers for the game?  there was no way some exec wasnt going to step in eventually.  to say the games subject matter was "edgy" was an understatement
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 05:37:53 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on March 08, 2012, 08:58:30 PM

have you seen trailers for the game?  there was no way some exec wasnt going to step in eventually.  to say the games subject matter was "edgy" was an understatement
I think we can understand some grand poobah stepping in and saying "Woah, this is maybe a little too far, lets pull it back a little." I just don't understand eviscerating an entire development team unless there really is a quality issue, or they stuck a line in the sand and said "This is the game you hired us to do, and we're not backing down." I guess we'll never know unless some anonymous source steps out with details.  icon_neutral Hopefully we'll hear some more about the status of the game soon.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 05:35:25 PM »

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/08/ubisoft-says-rainbow-6-patriots-is-still-on-track.aspx

"To paraphrase Mark Twain, I'm not dead, and Rainbow is still very much alive," Sears said. "I've watched the forum comments, and one of the things that's really important for everyone to understand is senior management and the editorial group challenged me to create something plausible, relevant, and that touches on the current fears of the U.S. citizens to the point that I was almost surprised myself we were taking these creative risks. They are still behind it. I spent time working on it because I love it, but there comes a point where you give the vision to everybody and they embrace it and start telling me what the vision is now."

yep, story is probably getting made less edgy.

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2012, 10:18:11 PM »

I really liked Sears concept for this game and loved that he wanted to return to the original source material in the novel. I also like that he wanted to move as far away as possible from the MGS-like style of play. Not that there's anything wrong with MGS, but please no - not for a R6 game! I fully expect this to be a watered down, cut-scene heavy steaming pile of crap now, just as every other TC has become. Bottom line, this is what you get when you let a series originally written by N.A. authors fall into the hands of a bunch of French bitches.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:11:22 AM by kronovan » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 10:34:09 PM »

I believe they went through the design document and anywhere something scary came up, they changed the word or phrase to "French Baguettes."

"If we don't stop them in time, they're going to detonate the... French Baguettes."

"Do you know what I have in this vial, Rainbow Six agent! MUWAHAHAHAHAHA! It's extremely toxic and deadly ... French Baguettes."

"OK this is the water system, now give me the hypodermic needle so we can dispense the... French Baguettes."

"I'm not proud of doing this but it's the only way to protect our country. I'm sorry. But we're going to have to... French Baguettes you."

"Hurry! We don't have time to argue! You've got to throw me the... French Baguettes!"
=======
Well, now that gaminformer update piques me curiosity about this mystery game for a mystery developer he's working on. I want SWAT 5. Please.  tear
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:38:20 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 11:11:49 AM »

I'm less worried about the "French" and more worried that they hand this to Ubisoft Shanghai.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 05:12:28 AM »

Eek, you mean.... you mean its going to be Shanghai'd!  eek
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 12:27:30 PM »

Surprise!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 02:59:54 PM »

I'm not going to get xenophobic about it. For example, the most "patriotic" shooter I've played to date was Freedom Fighters by Danish developer IO Interactive (Hitman etc.).  icon_smile I've played lots of crappy military shooters by U.S.-based developers, so it's not like the developer's country of origin means much, quality-wise.

It's just, with the publisher speaking in engimatic riddles, we're still left to speculate.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 03:26:04 PM »

Nono - I mean that Ubisoft Shanghai produced crap games while others were creating fantastic games.

Look at Double Agent.

Shanghai has been, in the past, synonymous with the "console ports" of PC games. They also have had horrid mistakes on grammar etc.. I don't recall which TC game it was (Pandora Tomorrow) where a lot of the dossier info was in engrish. It should have been caught by the QA team, and simply didn't. I don't think it has so much to do with location, but with attention to detail, or strained timelines.

That being said, I'd be concerned. Looks like that team is busy with Far Cry 3 though, so no worries. biggrin

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2012, 10:49:57 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 14, 2012, 03:26:04 PM

Nono - I mean that Ubisoft Shanghai produced crap games while others were creating fantastic games.

Look at Double Agent.

Yeah, but don't forget UBI Montreal made the Xbox version of DA and its an excellent game - I'd rank it 2nd best in the series right behind Chaos Theory.

Meh, I stand by my critcism of French videogame Publishers. Case in point, Infogrames Entertainment - they bought GT Interactive, Hasbro Interactive, Atari and Shiny Entertainment, and little to nothing good since has come of any of the IP's associated with those. Meanwhile UBISOFT has done the same with Broderbund, SSI and Wolfpack studios IP's and now they're doing the same to Red Storm Interactive. French videogame companies are fine when they're development studios or distritubtors, but the minute they get into the studio acquisition game they usually leave a trail of steaming piles in their wake. So OK, maybe calling them a bunch of bitches was going a bit too far. If they could just leave the great dev teams in the studios they aquire alone all would be good, but I suspect they can't help themeslves from their own meddling and arrogance.

I doubt we'll ever see another stellar Tom Clancy game until someone puts a spinning heal kick to the side of Yves Guillemot's head and snatches the license from him.   icon_twisted
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:13:51 PM by kronovan » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 12:58:02 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 14, 2012, 10:49:57 PM

Quote from: Purge on March 14, 2012, 03:26:04 PM

Look at Double Agent.

Yeah, but don't forget UBI Montreal made the Xbox version of DA and its an excellent game - I'd rank it 2nd best in the series right behind Chaos Theory.

Meh, I stand by my critcism of French videogame Publishers. Case in point, Infogrames Entertainment - they bought GT Interactive, Hasbro Interactive, Atari and Shiny Entertainment, and little to nothing good since has come of any of the IP's associated with those. Meanwhile UBISOFT has done the same with Broderbund, SSI and Wolfpack studios IP's and now they're doing the same to Red Storm Interactive. French videogame companies are fine when they're development studios or distritubtors, but the minute they get into the studio acquisition game they usually leave a trail of steaming piles in their wake. So OK, maybe calling them a bunch of bitches was going a bit too far. If they could just leave the great dev teams in the studios they aquire alone all would be good, but I suspect they can't help themeslves from their own meddling and arrogance.

I doubt we'll ever see another stellar Tom Clancy game until someone puts a spinning heal kick to the side of Yves Guillemot's head and snatches the license from him.   icon_twisted

I don't think this is a french thing. Look at EA, or Activision. It's in their nature to try and extract juice from the fruit, and in the process huck the carcass which has all the fiber goodness still inside.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2013, 12:09:22 AM »

news from Gamecom:  it's still cooking.

Because I can,
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2013, 12:27:54 AM »

Cook faster! Nuke it!! Come on!!!

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2013, 12:33:31 AM »

maybe they could deep fry it and rename it 'Rainbow Six: Fried Pickles'.

Because I can,
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2013, 05:35:30 PM »

Cant wait until I can hunt down each member of New England's favourite football team.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2013, 01:42:23 AM »

well, I guess any news is good news.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: